• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the wheel of time series worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been plowing through fantasy this year by reading the Kingkiller chronicles, the first law series, the mistborn trilogy, and a few others. Just wondering if this series will fit in with my tastes and whether or not it's worth reading through 14 books to reach a conclusion, give me your thoughts gaf.

So I've been plowing through fantasy this year by reading the Kingkiller chronicles, the first law series, the mistborn trilogy, and a few others. Just wondering if this series will fit in with my tastes and whether or not it's worth reading through 14 books to reach a conclusion, give me your thoughts gaf.
I made it thru the first six or seven and they went from great to "what the fuck nothing is happening" so I bailed. I hear the 6/7 thru 10ish range are a bit aimless, but the end pulls it out of the fire. I've considered going back re-reading the ones I have and then finishing it off but haven't gotten around to it.

badblue

I've tried a few times. Reading, I got to book 3, and 5 five via audiobook.

My brother loves these books, and I just can't get into them.

bionic77

It has some shitty books and is unbelievably long but the highs were still enough to make it worry it for me.

Check out the first book. If that doesn't grab you then bail. If you like it then go ahead but skim through 6-10.

Clegg

Absolutely.

I enjoyed the series more than I did Game of Thrones. That's just personal opinion obv, but it's a very enjoyable series.

I would have to go with no. I started from the beginning somewhere between a decade or two back, and there is a LOT of bullshit filler to slog through between the excellent start and ending of the series.

15 books (including new spring) and maybe half to a third of that being worth reading. Yet you can't skip them, because there's relevant plot there.

The highs outweigh the lows. It's a solid series that has some fantastic world building and great characters. It's a bit bloaty, no doubt, but it's worth your time. You'll be happy there are so many books once you dig into it.

Gave the first book 20 chapters to capture my interest, but man was it completely boring. Still, alot of people love this series so I think it's a love/hate kind of deal.

teiresias

All I remember from trying to read the first book back when it first came out was that there were too many names of people and organizations that had apostrophes in the middle of their names, and that I was constantly flipping to the glossary in the back because, heaven forbid Jordan put the work in to actually build the world for the reader rather than make the reader study it like it's a textbook.

Piecake

The world kept me interested for a while, but the terrible characters, especially the women (besides Mat) and the generic plot really torpedoed my interest on god knows what book.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
You really just need to try the first one and see if it catches you. After that you can decide whether to delve into the rest of the books depending on how you felt about it. Love it, go ahead and read them all. Anything below love it and you should probably avoid it.

Eusis

I definitely enjoyed the earlier books as a teen but heard about how it was going nowhere without the end in sight (damn it took over a decade since I started to reach that point) so I didn't keep up with it, instead spoiling myself on the details. I guess it's like a cross country road trip through America that REQUIRES going through the worst parts of Texas and Kansas: you'll have an amazing time but midway through you'll be bored to madness.

They should have just kept that series going. Any real coherent or meaningful plot was lost long ago, so just keep bringing in different writers every few books and treat it like an ongoing super hero comic or Sunday paper comic strip.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It definitely starts to drag near the middle of so. Enough so that I took a break during my marathon reading of the series. However in the end I found that I was very happy and satisfied with the series and really enjoyed living in that world for a while.

I've read most of the books in the series at least three times and twice on audio book. Generally I was rereading to prepare for new books. Same with the audio books.

I think they're really fun but I now definitely have certain plot segments I really don't care for. But I also find that when going through my opinion can flip a lot so characters or sections I really liked I'll despise the next time through and vice versa with me being surprised by a few sections I suddenly enjoyed a lot more.

As others have said I'd suggest just trying them out since there's little harm in checking out the first book. If you enjoy it but find it dragging towards book seven then go look up a decent chapter synopsis and zip through chapters that way if you have characters you don't enjoy or sections that you feel drag. The last three books finished by Brandon Sanderson are all great and I believe Book 11 by Robert Jordan is well regarded but I don't recall popular opinion.

Krowley

Despite some flaws, I would say it's easily one of the best and most important fantasy series ever. It has some of the best worldbuilding in the genre, and a truly epic story that provides a great sense of fun and adventure.

The middle books drag, but most are not actually "bad" and they' don't seem nearly as annoying now that you don't have to wait five or more years between releases. You can run through them pretty quick, and get back to the good stuff.

If you like the Kingkiller books, I think Wheel of Time is probably a good fit for you. I've been reading the Rothfuss books over the last few weeks, and right away they reminded me of a cross between Wheel of Time and Wizard of Earthsea. I would say that the tone in the Kingkiller books, and the pacing, is very similar to Jordan's books, though the texture of the world is very different.

Edit// The Wheel of Time books also have a damn good magic system. It's not all that unique, but it's very well executed. There are a lot of variations, good limitations, it has interesting ripple effects on the whole culture of the world, and he never lets it become cheap.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll check out the first book and see if it grabs hold of me. If nothing else it'll give me something to do while I wait for Rothfuss and sandersons next books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom