• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's finish this off, what is the correct definition of JRPG?

Yes, those people wouldn't magically cease being Japanese.

So therefore by analogy JRPG is not based on the region where the game is developed, just like you agree that JPOP is not based on the region where the music is produced.

So it's based on the nationality of the artists, you say? What about a game with an American staff, developed in Japan? What about a game by a staff made up of 50% Japanese and 50% westerners? Maybe only the executive producer's nationality matters? What if he's mixed?

Oh wait, I get it. Their nationality only matters insofar as it influences the style of the game that they produce. Which is why JRPG refers to the style of the game in the first place.

Do construction workers go around talking about what country the wood they're using originated from when building a house?

"Oh hey I just got some new Mongolian wood."
"Pshh, whatever dude, I use only Indonesian wood."
"Both of you guys are idiots, I use only wood from the Western Hemisphere"

Nobody gives a shit. It's completely irrelevant. What matters is what kind of tree it comes from. Where the tree came from is a completely useless piece of information.

Shosai

Banned
Then why don't we use the J to every game made in Japan?

No, why don't we use the location to every game ever?

Why don't we use it to every other piece of entertainment?

Yes, it can be useful sometimes to describe the culture and the style, but the term JRPG used in the way it's commonly used is just utterly pointless unless you use it to describe the genre (and in this case it would still be bad).

I don't know, why don't you? We do have separate terms for japanese pop music(jpop) and comics (manga), because they have mostly-separate fanbases.

darklin0

Banned
JPRG
- Focuses on characters and some kind of motif.
- Graphics might be colorful/artistic. Men pretty and women cute.
- Music with hooks, catchy patterns.
- Gimmick style of gameplay (linear storytelling, ATB, LMBS, crazy summons/over the top action/special effects).
- Rarely from first person view.
- Pre-defined characters with either customizable abilities (everyone becomes the same) or set ones for their personality (warrior, healer, mage).

WRPG
- Focuses on story and the lore/world.
- Graphics might be gritty/realistic. Men handsome/muscular and women beautiful.
- Atmospheric music, orchested.
- Overly complex gameplay (affinities, choices, character building with classes and limited stat points).
- Might use DnD rules

The definition is not really absolute as there are exceptions and variations, but they all originally had their distinct styles. There are games like Black Sigil (made by Canadians) which resembles to a JRPG in the way of Chrono Trigger. Vagrant Story (made by Japanese) which resembles to a dungeon crawling WRPG with deep customization and targeting in a battle system. When using these terms, it helps me to draw a certain image in my mind what kind of game we're talking about.

This is exactly how I define the two terms. This gets my vote.

Begaria

Not that I disagree with your main point, I'm a little concerned that you're using GameFAQs genre listings as the basis for the argument. I'm not sure what makes them any more credible than anything else.

Heh, I actually addressed that earlier before anyone said anything.

Not that gamefaqs is the end all be all of categorization, but it's merely the easiest reference I can think of.

I could go through a bunch of interviews, stringing logical arguments together through a bunch of opinions on a game per game basis if I wanted to, but I chose the quick and dirty way to do it.

/shrug

bender

What time is it?
Dark Souls is not a JRPG. It is a Japanese take on a Western RPG. That is not to lessen it or to take anything away from it. It is still an amazing game.

I think you are ignoring From Software's past efforts.

Mupod

The easy way to think of it would be Dragon Quest derivatives. I never understood why this was confusing, it's pretty obvious when someone says JRPG they mean something like FF6 and not something like King's Field.

There's no need to overthink it, and yet I've been arguing with people over this for like 15 years. That and those "it's an RPG because you play a role" people, ugh.

Giran

So therefore by analogy JRPG is not based on the region where the game is developed, just like you agree that JPOP is not based on the region where the music is produced.

So it's based on the nationality of the artists, you say? What about a game with an American staff, developed in Japan? What about a game by a staff made up of 50% Japanese and 50% westerners? Maybe only the executive producer's nationality matters?

Oh wait, I get it. Their nationality only matters insofar as it influences the style of the game that they produce. Which is why JRPG refers to the style of the game in the first place.

Actually, it is very much based on the region. If you stick to the analogy, the musicians moved there but are still playing the music they've learned, practiced and played elsewhere that is above all soaked with the traditions, culture and yes, style of the place. That's not something you can imitate, it would never feel authentic.

spekkeh

Banned
The easy way to think of it would be Dragon Quest derivatives. I never understood why this was confusing, it's pretty obvious when someone says JRPG they mean something like FF6 and not something like King's Field.

There's no need to overthink it, and yet I've been arguing with people over this for like 15 years. That and those "it's an RPG because you play a role" people, ugh.
Well RPGs are essentially about playing roles, the rest is fluff

Round 839274 FIGHT

213372bu

Banned
I don't mean to be that guy but honestly OP what? JRPG has always meant, since its conception, Japanese Role-Playing Game, it's an abbreviation. To say a JRPG is a type of game is ridiculous.
By that logic Final Fantasy 7 was an WRPG because it wasn't set turn base by default.

I mean, I can go on and on, but to say something is a certain genre because it carries similar qualities to something from a particular region from a particular era is ridiculous.

That's like saying non-fiction stories belong under the genre of fiction because they read like a normal narrative and share qualities such as humor and sadness.

OP, it also doesn't help your point when you come and make a thread with a question and instantly shut down anyone who has a different opinion than you by saying they aren't open to thinking and that they don't get your point because they are "ignoring" you.

Actually, it is very much based on the region. If you stick to the analogy, the musicians moved there but are still playing the music they've learned, practiced and played elsewhere that is above all soaked with the traditions, culture and yes, style of the place. That's not something you can imitate, it would never feel authentic.

And yet if you took a random person who knew nothing about games, and gave them Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Tales of Vesperia, and Dust: An Elysian Tale, made them play each one to completion, and then told them simply "place these into 2 groups, where the groups contain similar items", they would almost certainly group them as

Group 1: Dark Souls, Dragon Age
Group 2: Final Fantasy, Tales of Vesperia, Dust

Mlatador

Banned
Wasn't Secret of Mana more or less the first JRPG to be released in Europe at least? It wasn't turn based.

Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Mystic Quest (and Zelda) - all are not JRPGs. They are ARPGs or Action Adventures.

gogosox8

JRPG's mean rpgs made in Japan. If you want to talk about Bravery Default, it would make sense to call it a turned based rpg, not a jrpg since there are many different kinds of games that come out of Japan.

Actually, forget this. Both definitions of JRPG are annoying and harmful.

Take Xenoblade for example. I was very disappointed by the game because everyone was calling it "Best JRPG of the Generation" so I had very preconceived notions about what the game would be like going in (was hoping for something like Persona 4 or Bravely Default). But Xenoblade is in no way a traditional JRPG. Visuals & story are very much in the traditional JRPG mode, but the gameplay is much closer to your typical Western-developed PC RPG.

So with Xenoblade, I was disappointed because I expected BEST JRPG EVER! But if I had gone into the game expecting ANIME DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS! (which admittedly isn't a perfect comparison but it's a lot closer in my mind than JRPG), I probably would have enjoyed the game a lot more.

Speaking of which, I need to give Xenoblade another shot.

bender

What time is it?
And yet if you took a random person who knew nothing about games, and gave them Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, and Tales of Vesperia, and then told them simply "place these into 2 groups, where the groups contain similar items", they would almost certainly group them as

Group 2: Final Fantasy, Tales of Vesperia

What if you didn't specify the number of groups when presenting the task? They'd probably put each game into its' own group. Dragon Age and Dark Souls have little in common.

Mozendo

jRPGs stands for Japanese RPGs, which as the name implies are RPGs made in Japan there's nothing more to it.
They're not called Japanese-inspired/styled RPGs.
That's basically what I said in the previous thread.
It's not a real genre, it's just a way to tell people what region the game is from. Game mechanics will never be tied to a country same thing goes for tropes.

Saying something along the line of something like "Bravely Default is a jRPG" is not any different than saying "Alan Wake is Finnish Action-Adventure game"

Also one thing that really annoys me is that certain people classify all turn-based RPGs as jRPGs. Western developers did turn-based first popular western turn-based games include Wizardry and Might and Magic.

Do you know what Wizardry and Might and Magic have in common? They're both first-person dungeon crawlers and that brings up my next subject

Etrian Odyssey and Class of Heroes are more western than Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.
I'll try keeping it short since I don't feel like typing that much.

Now if you google Etrian Odyssey or Class of heroes you'll find probably be thinking
"This looks like another standard jRPG" because you got an image like this and probably think I'm crazy because it has anime styled artwork.

large.jpg

Wizardry is a popular franchise Japan, if you played early jRPGs chances are Wizardry was influence and (possibly) introduced Japan to the western fantasy setting. Dragon Warrior/ Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Phantasy Star are some of the popular franchises that were influenced by Wizardry. And when I mean Japan really loves Wizardry they do, in fact some games are only found in Japan despite being a western game. I'm pretty sure there are more Wizardry games in Japan than there are in English.

So how exactly does Wizardry play?
In Wizardry you create your party from a list of classes that are available to you. Being a fantasy-styled game (Just like in Final Fantasy!)

Gameplay wise the entire game is in a first-person perspective even battles, and as I stated above the game is a dungeon-crawler so expect to crawl some dungeons.

As what I said about Wizardry can be applied to both Etrian Odyssey and Class of Heroes. Even though Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma are western-inspired they certainly do not play like Wizardry or any early dungeon crawler, and a game having a certain art style doesn't change what region it's from.

Giran

And yet if you took a random person who knew nothing about games, and gave them Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, and Tales of Vesperia, and then told them simply "place these into 2 groups, where the groups contain similar items", they would almost certainly group them as

Group 2: Final Fantasy, Tales of Vesperia

Yeah, and they'd also probably group Gackt's music with some western rock band, yet only one of them is commonly referred to as jrock. Exceptions don't make the rule.

Garcia

Before this thread I thought plenty of us used the term to refer to RPGs created by japanese developers. At least that's how I've always used the therm, even though most of the time the tag generally fits turn-based oriented sagas like Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior/Quest (being so popular everywhere). For instance, you can pretty much have action oriented JRPGs, turn based, hybrids, etc.

There is a distinct flavor to western RPGs that sets them apart.

PseudoViper

And yet if you took a random person who knew nothing about games, and gave them Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Tales of Vesperia, and Dust: An Elysian Tale, made them play each one to completion, and then told them simply "place these into 2 groups, where the groups contain similar items", they would almost certainly group them as

Group 2: Final Fantasy, Tales of Vesperia, Dust

That's like asking ppl. to group a Tomato, Orange, Apple, Carrot and Peas into groups. I'm almost certain most people would do EXACTLY this:

Group 1: Orange, Apple,
Group 2: Carrot, Peas, Tomato,

Does that make a Tomato NOT a fruit?

For the people who just use it as a regional thing, why do you use it at all? Does the fact that it just originates from Japan do anything? If it can describe any RPG that comes from Japan or a Japanese developer, then what is the point of even bringing it up? There must be some underlying difference for you to even consider the distinction to be necessary, right?

Wiseblade

Nobody should be using "JRPG" to describe anything other than country of origin. It twlks you absolutely nothing about the game. Better to use proper descriptors like "turn-based" "action" "strategy", etc. Same goes for western RPGs. The term can accurately describe Mass Effect, Might & Magic and everything in between.

For the people who just use it as a regional thing, why do you use it at all? Does the fact that it just originates from Japan do anything? If it can describe any RPG that comes from Japan or a Japanese developer, then what is the point of even bringing it up? There must be some underlying difference for you to even consider the distinction to be necessary, right?
The answer is: I dont use it.

Nobody should be using "JRPG" to describe anything other than country of origin. It twlks you absolutely nothing about the game. Better to use proper descriptors like "turn-based" "action" "strategy", etc. Same goes for western RPGs. The term can accurately describe Mass Effect, Might & Magic and everything in between.

The answer is: I dont use it.

Which is what we should all be pushing towards.

Unfortunately that is the minority, otherwise this wouldnt even be a debate.

I avoid using it unless I'm referring to Japanese developed RPGs collectively. If I'm talking about something more specific I use Turn-based/Action/Strategy/etc.

bender

What time is it?
Zelda is not even a RPG.

Can I level up anything in Zelda like my character and weapons/tools?

In the latest Zelda, yes to all. You can upgrade your hearts, magic bar and all of your weapons, tools and armor have an upgraded version or two. I'm not saying Zelda is an RPG. :p

Shosai

Banned

As mentioned earlier, any works of art originating in specific geographical locations often (but not always!!) have common attributes derived from their unique cultural influences and targeted audiences. It's an adjective used to provide additional detail about what qualities to expect and not expect.

Wiseblade

Which is what we should all be pushing towards.

Unfortunately that is the minority, otherwise this wouldnt even be a debate.
I didn't even know the term existed untilvaround 2007. I'd just been using descriptors that actually described the games I was discussing.

As mentioned earlier, any works of art originating in specific geographical locations often (but not always!!) have common attributes derived from their unique cultural influences and targeted audiences. It's an adjective used to provide additional detail about what qualities to expect and not expect.

But if they have common attributes, then its not being used strictly to tell you which region it comes from, it means it is being used to give you ideas about how it should play/look/sound/whatever.

I didn't even know the term existed untilvaround 2007. I'd just been using descriptors that actually described the games I was discussing.

Its a term thats been around for a long time. And at least for me when I was a kid, we would use the term to describe NES/SNES RPGs that played like an old Final Fantasy game.

Soriku

I always think about it like this:

JRPG:

- turn-based battle system
- strong focus on narration
- many characters that that you form partys with
- certain japanese aesthetics in the game

Examples: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Skys of Arcadia, Grandia etc.

ARPG:

- no turn based system, but rather manually controlled characters/focus on few main characters
- not as strong focus on narration as in JRPGs, not too much "text" = story
- manual combat, hence "action" rpg

Exmaples: Secret of Mana, Zelda, Dark Souls

Then there are SRPGs and western RPGs/PC RPGs like Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment etc.

How does this model fit in KH and Tales? They have the latter three aspects of JRPGs but are action games. I don't know why you'd separate certain games into region and abd certain games into how they play. Plus then what would you call games like Resonance of Fate or Valkyrie Profile 2 which are neither turn based yet strictly action either?

I just refer to JRPGs as any RPG made in Japan. However, people's issue seems to be that the term is too broad. This is why I classify JRPGs into action RPG, turn based RPG, etc. People can argue this because there is a distinction between a game like Tales and one like Dark Souls as the styles are very different, but you overcomplicate things by doing that, so I'd just refer to them as action RPGs. This style of game happens to be broad but are still action RPGs nonetheless.

So Wizardry is a JRPG, because it was a turn-based RPG before Japanese developers were even making them.

Interesting. I sat down to write out what differentiates JRPGs from WRPGs and games like Wizardry and Icewind Dale stopped me in my tracks.

I will say that JRPGs today have more in common with the older WRPGs and tabletop games that I have played than any recent WRPG I've played.

Maybe it would be better to differentiate Party RPG and Solo RPGs.

Garcia

But of course! For me at least it is crystal clear. You can't tell me that the differences between games like The Elder Scrolls saga and Final Fantasy aren't noticeable. Even when I used such extreme examples of different genres to prove my point, the sort of sterotypes and lore you find in either Japan or Western RPGs are very different.

There are stereotypes that you will only find in japanese games in the same way you'll only find certain behaviors and/or stereotypes in western productions.

daninthemix

Personally I only refer to RPGs as J-RPGs if they are both developed in Japan, and of the style elicited by the term.

I would consider Tales of [whatever] a J-RPG.
I would not consider Dragon's Dogma a J-RPG (nor a W-RPG - it's just an action RPG).

But of course! For me at least it is crystal clear. You can't tell me that the differences between games like The Elder Scrolls saga and Final Fantasy aren't noticeable. Even when I used such extreme examples of different genres to prove my point, the sort of sterotypes and lore you find in either Japan or Western RPGs are very different.

There are stereotypes that you will only find in japanese games in the same way you'll only find certain behavirs and stereotypes in western productions.

I agree, which is why I dont think it should be used to just say its 'from Japan'. There is almost always a noticeable difference between games made in different regions. Which would mean that if something is a 'JRPG' then it must have something different from something thats a 'WRPG'.

I just dont see how it can be used just to tell you which region it came from, and NOT give some sort of indication as to what you should expect.

Toxi

Banned
Because the role playing genre developed and was iterated by developers in both Japan and the west almost entirely independent of each other in the mid 90s to mid 00s, and as thus JRPGs have their own unique idiosyncrasies that the western side of the genre do not due to the decade+ of isolation.

Due to the traditional PC RPG developers moving to consoles in the back end of the 6th gen and in full force during the 7th, the lines are starting to blur again as the other side is getting a taste of the west again, and as such are being directly inspired by them.

Demon's/Dark Souls is an example of this. The director of the game played oblivion and was greatly inspired by it when he was conceptualizing the Souls series.
Bullshit.

Have you ever played King's Field?

So Wizardry is a JRPG, because it was a turn-based RPG before Japanese developers were even making them.

If we were to design a genre family tree, Wizardry would be placed as a parent of JRPGs, but not itself a JRPG.

In fact, for video game RPGs, the parents would be Wizardry and Ultima, each inspiring different branches of design in how to translate role-playing game aspects to a video game over the next couple of decades.

Pyrrhus

I agree, its a broken term at this point, but it is so ingrained in popular rhetoric that I really don't see it going away.

My argument hinges that the term works as long as it is used to discuss the traditional genre lines when it was created. Using it as a blanket term is completely broken.

I agree with your general definition as put forth in the first post, but I think that the times have changed too much. A lot of the fans of what you and I would call jRPGs and mean a very specific thing have no memory of the era when the term was coined.

"Old timers" like us mean FF4 and Lufia and Breath of Fire and Lunar and Suikoden and Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean and Xenogears and Dragon Quest. But most of those series are dead now and Final Fantasy and even Dragon Quest have abandoned the style. I think we have to let the term go, as to most people it no longer conveys the meaning we intend anymore.

Shosai

Banned
But if they have common attributes, then its not being used strictly to tell you which region it comes from, it means it is being used to give you ideas about how it should play/look/sound/whatever.

You're right, many adjectives do not strictly convey one thing. They often tell you multiple things! To go back again to my earlier example, describing a movie as being "Indian cinema" tells you where it was produced, and to expect a lot of musical numbers.

When you think of JRPG, what is the first gameplay trait and style that comes to mind? Whatever that is is probably how you would characterize a JRPG. All those claiming country of origin are just arguing semantics. JRPG has moved past the literal definition of country of origin and has morphed into it's own style of game.

The way you should think of JRPG and WRPG is Japanese-influenced RPG, and Western-influenced RPG since they both have their own styles. When you use a genre to define any kind of media, you classify it based on specific traits and tropes. Country of origin doesn't describe anything about the game, hence why the Japanese in JRPG is not meant to be taken literal.

Broadly, you can group Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Ultima, Baldur's Gate etc, under WRPG (even though they're very different games they share a common affinity with one another), however you wouldn't put something like Costume Quest in there and call it a WRPG when it's clearly mimicking JRPGs.

JRPGs and WRPGs are just very broad genres like Action or Adventure. You expect a certain game when you hear that genre, but further sub-genre classification is required to really describe the games. And that goes for any media; games, movies, and TV.

Wanchan

For me a JRPG is an RPG developped primarily for japanese audience (not necessarily developped by Japanese devs or In Japan). As long as the RPG is aimed to be released in Japan/for Japanese Audience first, it's a JRPG.

Toxi

Banned
It's mixed, imo. The director of the project was heavily inspired by Oblivion, thus the tile has obvious western inspirations, but the core is still inherently Japanese in both presentation and execution. In the end, it wouldn't the same without the western influence or without the Japanese, thus I'd say it's probably one of the first titles of the newly homogenized post-7th-gen-PC-developer-diaspora modern RPG world. Eventually, I forsee both J/W terms eventually being completely pointless as more and more Japanese designers continue to play and be directly inspired by western titles, thus obviously leading to more and more globalized titles in the RPG genre.
Totally inspired by Oblivion.

berserkanddemonssouls.jpg

At least post an interview or something before making a claim like that. FROM Software's RPGs have had western Europe stylings for many years before Oblivion came out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If we were to design a genre family tree, Wizardry would be placed as a parent of JRPGs, but not itself a JRPG.

In fact, for video game RPGs, the parents would be Wizardry and Ultima, each inspiring different branches of design in how to translate role-playing game aspects to a video game over the next couple of decades.

Understandable, but the idea is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to call "traditional turn-based RPGs" JRPGs when the games that founded that style of game weren't Japanese in the first place.

If I'm not mistaken the early Japanese RPGs were more action-oriented. Stuff like Dragon Slayer, Hydlide, and Tower of Druaga.

In the latest Zelda, yes to all. You can upgrade your hearts, magic bar and all of your weapons, tools and armor have an upgraded version or two. I'm not saying Zelda is an RPG. :p

I guess The Last of Us is an rpg since I can level up my health -____-. You know what I mean.

Mlatador

Banned
How does this model fit in KH and Tales? They have the latter three aspects of JRPGs but are action games. I don't know why you'd separate certain games into region and abd certain games into how they play. Plus then what would you call games like Resonance of Fate or Valkyrie Profile 2 which are neither turn based yet strictly action either?

Having a turn based or a similar system close to it is important for the distinction I think.

Therefore I would call:

Kingdom Hearts = ARPG or Action Adventure
Tales of Symphonia = JRPG (similar to Grandia - since both have a similar variation of the ATB battle system)

Resonance of Fate = ARPG (similar to Vagrant Story)

Valkyrie Profile 2 = ARPG? JRPG? Maybe a special type of JRPG? Perhaps an "Action JRPG" = AJRPG??? :) (this is tricky, and I'm actually not too sure what to call it)

Made in Japan or has Japanese Cultural Elements/Dialog/Influence.
Very little player customization in terms of looks.
Branching dialog is the exception, not the rule.
Combat systems are usually menu driven.

Shosai

Banned
Totally inspired by Oblivion.

At least post an interview or something before making a claim like that. FROM Software's RPGs have had western Europe stylings for many years before Oblivion came out.

No idea if what he said is true, but a game can be influenced by more than one thing, you know.

Top Bottom