• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Overdoziz

Banned
Anyone know a keyboard that's simple (nothing curved or anything), has brown switches and has a couple of buttons for audio and such? I'm looking for one that's not crazy expensive.

5amshift

Banned
Daskeyboards look like a giant waste of money. Way too expensive for Cherry Blue and a basic style? I finally got my hands on and played with a Corsair K70 and absolutely loved it. Picking that up almost immediately after my next computer build.

EIGHT_

Neo Member
leaning towards buying a noppoo choc mini 84, but i'm holding back a bit due to the lack of a numpad. are there any small minimal keyboards similar to the noppoo but with a numpad?

Daskeyboards look like a giant waste of money. Way too expensive for Cherry Blue and a basic style? I finally got my hands on and played with a Corsair K70 and absolutely loved it. Picking that up almost immediately after my next computer build.

I might get one to replace my Cherry Red K70 because it's just hard to find a black/dark color with Cherry Browns and dedicated media controls. Corsair's Cherry Brown K70 unfortunately only comes in silver.

Been out of the keyboard game for a while, and I'm dissatisfied with what I have.

What's the hottest red switch board out right now? Sexiness (backlit, etc) is important to me, but functionality even more so. The Gamdias Hermes actually looks amazing (in terms of macro button placement and good wrist support) but I don't trust the brand...

For gaming btw.

Three LEDs on my Corsair Vengeance K70 are now dead...

Guys, if you want a good backlit keyboard, get a Logitech Illuminated. It's not mechanical but at least the lights will work for a long time.

How is the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate? They have it stocked at my local bestbuy and the keys feel real nice...should I go for it?

I've had a BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 since late 2012 and it still looks near new after constant use. The new matte finish is miles ahead of the original BlackWidow's glosssy finish.

Honestly, I feel like it's as good as any other mechanical keyboard using Cherry MX Blues, the main deciding factor would be aesthetics. It's not over the top IMO, but it doesn't have the subdued nicer look of the Ducky Shine w/White LED for example.

jdavid459

I've had a BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 since late 2012 and it still looks near new after constant use. The new matte finish is miles ahead of the original BlackWidow's glosssy finish.

Honestly, I feel like it's as good as any other mechanical keyboard using Cherry MX Blues, the main deciding factor would be aesthetics. It's not over the top IMO, but it doesn't have the subdued nicer look of the Ducky Shine w/White LED for example.

Man the Ducky Shine looks so nice, and has all those different lighting modes (the 3 anyway). Now I am conflicted haha. Where is the best website to buy Ducky Shine's from? Not sure how much they run.

CPCunha

You're lucky. Either that or i've got some Razer voodoo on me cus their products gave me only headaches. Just ordered the WASD CODE after a long and annoying battle with my BlackWidow Ultimate. Thing started giving me double strikes on tons of keys even though i'm borderline OCD when it comes to taking care of tech stuff (still use the plastic cover that came with the damn thing to keep dust out). Anyways, can't wait till tomorrow when the code gets here.

Tabby

How is the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate? They have it stocked at my local bestbuy and the keys feel real nice...should I go for it?

I've had the Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Stealth since last year, and I've been loving it.
I've spilled water on it a few times but since it's a mechanical keyboard it's still working, the matte finish looks sexy and keeps everything looking clean and easy to manage.

My only complaint, is that I didn't get the one with Cherry Blues.

Ban Puncher

This is the third time I've had to return a Corsair K70 keyboard because of faulty LEDs. And it costs $20 each time to post it back for a replacement to be sent out.

Fuck this.

Water

This is the third time I've had to return a Corsair K70 keyboard because of faulty LEDs. And it costs $20 each time to post it back for a replacement to be sent out.

Fuck this.
Are you shipping it to Corsair or the vendor? Who's the vendor?

It's not right that you pay $60 extra on top of a keyboard that probably didn't cost much more to begin with, just to get a unit that (hopefully?) works. I bet if you contact the vendor and talk to them, they'll do something about it at this point because they'll look terrible if they don't. If not, check your local customer protection laws. This definitely sounds like a situation where you'd probably have the right to a full refund, unless they play ball and make you happy somehow. At the very least they should pay the shipping costs. Remember your time is money, too; it's not reasonable to expect you to keep going to a post office to ship the keyboard 3+ times.

Water

Ok, they offer azerty with mac layout. Cherry MX blue is the best for typing right ?
Personal preference. I haven't used blues, but just from knowing that they are heavier than Browns, they wouldn't be my first choice for typing. I prefer Topres (have only used 35-55g variable weight; 45g and 55g fixed weights are available too), while Cherry Browns are in second place.

Re: my earlier post, do you really want Mac-specific keycaps? Any of the AZERTY-offering brands I listed you can find locally are going to be a lot cheaper than WASD, especially after shipping/customs. Filco, Ducky and WASD are all about the same quality level, top of the range as far as regular layout Cherry boards are concerned.

pooptest

Man the Ducky Shine looks so nice, and has all those different lighting modes (the 3 anyway). Now I am conflicted haha. Where is the best website to buy Ducky Shine's from? Not sure how much they run.

I have a Shine 2, MX Brown, White LED backlight. Amazing keyboard.

Here's where you can get them (well, where I got mine): https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ or https://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=73 (both are same company, but I've seen prices lower on one than on the other before; no idea why).

They're based out of Tennessee, so you can get a gist of how long Ground shipping will take.

Edit: If you don't care about backlighting, I recommend the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201042. A very, very nice alternative. I moved it from home to work when I got the Ducky and I love it. I did get it on sale for $65, however.

You're lucky. Either that or i've got some Razer voodoo on me cus their products gave me only headaches. Just ordered the WASD CODE after a long and annoying battle with my BlackWidow Ultimate. Thing started giving me double strikes on tons of keys even though i'm borderline OCD when it comes to taking care of tech stuff (still use the plastic cover that came with the damn thing to keep dust out). Anyways, can't wait till tomorrow when the code gets here.

Haha, you're not alone man. I used that plastic cover for months, just chucking it over the keyboard whenever I left.

Those CODE boards look pretty swish too, I'm a sucker for any black keyboard with white backlighting. I just want a keyboard that feels as good as mechanical, and looks as good as my MBP's keyboard.

BPoole

Looking to buy a mechanical keyboard. I think Cherry MX Browns would suit my needs best between gaming and typing. Something in the $80-120 range would fit my budget, and it must have a backlit keyboard, NumPad, and media keys. I also don't want any macro keys that make the keyboard any wider.

I currently use the Thermaltake Tt Challenger, and it is too wide for my keyboard drawer since it has macro keys on both sides.

finalflame

Gold Member
Just saw this, and figured I'd share my slightly customized White SE Ducky Shine 3 w/ some PBT caps :D

VRekBOm.jpg

4hOxEOF.jpg

PTFqOBx.jpg

kPRE0zr.jpg

Water

Can't wait to hear your impressions of CODE!

Checking it out got me sufficiently hyped that I just got in touch with WASD to plant the idea of a Colemak conversion keyset for CODE. Due to how specialized and low volume that kind of product would be, I'd otherwise expect it to become viable only as a byproduct of fully general key customization, but QWERTY-Colemak conversion takes only a measly 12 keycaps. (I never realized that before I started counting!) It didn't seem to have occurred to WASD guys either, so I'm mildly hopeful. It'd be good publicity - world first backlit keyboard with Colemak keycaps, and hardware layout option as a kicker.

Water

By the way, anyone else here using custom keyboard layouts? Or planning to try?

I have a history of messing with different layouts that stretches about 15 years back. For instance, I used to swap between Nordic QWERTY and US QWERTY layouts on the fly, since US QWERTY had much better access to programming symbols. A later development was that I swapped Ctrl with Caps.

About three years ago I found my final solution that allowed me to stop swapping between layouts and gave much better comfort than the QWERTYs. I took the standard Colemak layout, made my own custom modifications that allow me to also type the Nordic characters, and switched to that layout cold turkey. I never even tried to maintain QWERTY touch typing skill, I'm just 100% on my own layout. Got Windows and OS X implementations. It's totally backwards compatible with standard Colemak, so on unfamiliar machines I can use standard Colemak and the only downside is I can't type the Nordic characters. Colemak has shipped with all OSs except Windows for some time, and there's a portable, lightweight exe for Windows that you can download and run in a minute even without admin rights - also comes with an optional on-screen keymap reference for learning.

I warmly recommend Colemak for anyone on the fence, especially to English speakers for whom the standard Colemak is already perfect.

T-Matt

After using my black widow ultimate with blues for a few days I am totally a convert to mechanical keyboards. It just feels so nice. A little loud but not as bad as I thought it would be. Helps I got a great deal on the keyboard.

Just bought a Ducky Zero with blue cherries after looking for one in my area for ages.

Oh man... this thing feels like sex! Had to create a post so I had something to type with my new awesome keyboard <3 <3

jiggles

Banned
I just picked up a Cherry Black CM Storm Trigger. It feels pretty awesome. Like typing back in the 90s. There was a Razer Blackwidow something in the store for the same price that had better tactile feedback for the same price, but I'd already made up my mind before I went in and wasn't going to change it on a whim based on a 3-second button poke.

One thing, though, is that it does feel like I have to press the keys a little harder than I've ever had to with any keyboard to get them to depress fully, but I guess my fingers will strengthen up and get used to it. Right now, though, it feels like I'd be pretty exhausted after any significant amount of typing.

Before I got it, I was like "Can't wait to give Typing of the Dead a blast with this!", now I think I'll leave it a week or two.

After a few more months with my keyboard the double-hit issues are getting worse than ever, and on different keys; the O key now registers twice at least once a minute. TT-eSPORTS never replied to my email request for service either. Looks like I'm back in the market for a new keyboard because this is pretty much unusable now, and I've only owned this keyboard for five months.

One thing, though, is that it does feel like I have to press the keys a little harder than I've ever had to with any keyboard to get them to depress fully, but I guess my fingers will strengthen up and get used to it. Right now, though, it feels like I'd be pretty exhausted after any significant amount of typing.

You shouldn't have to bottom out the keys in order to have them actuate.

DJ_Lae

I'm using browns currently (CM Storm) though I have some of each switch as a tester and I'm pretty sure none of the cherry switches have to be bottomed out to register. You get used to the keys after a while and only depressing them partway. It's easier on the fingers.

Alternatively you could get some rubber O-rings to reduce the impact at the bottom of each stroke and shorten the travel. I'm tempted to do that myself.

jiggles

Banned
Oh, yeah, you're right. I don't have to push them all the way in, it's just a force of habit. I'm not confident enough with where the actuation point is yet that I can speed type without pushing them in all the way, but I guess that also comes with time.

Cherry Black are one of the 'stiffer' switches. They need 60cN of force where the Browns need 50/55cN and Reds are 45cN. You will get used to them and apparently they are great for RTS games as they rarely double-type.

I wish I could have a mechanical keyboard, but open plan office and I'm a fast typer and already loud enough on a normal one.. :(

Try Topre or Cherry Browns with o-rings to dampen the bottoming-out sound. Avoid Blues as they are designed to 'click'. Also you learn pretty quickly to adjust your typing to avoid bottoming out. I was surprised at how short a time it took me to stop hammering away like i used to :)

Zeppeli

Banned
Just got the tenkeyless Quick Fire Rapid with Cherry MX Blue from Cooler Master. My fingers are in love, but it's a serious pain in the ass to get used to not pressing the numpad Enter key to send messages on Facebook/Steam/etc. Bad habit.

The free 6 keycaps that came extra with the keyboard are nice, too.

Are blacks really that fatiguing?

I've got my eye on the Keycool 84 that's available for preorder on BangGood right now but it has black cherries.

I must have a problem. This would be my third mech in a fortnight

Are blacks really that fatiguing?

I've got my eye on the Keycool 84 that's available for preorder on BangGood right now but it has black cherries.

I must have a problem. This would be my third mech in a fortnight

It's an initiation. I bought two mechs in quick succession too. I think you get the first and like it so much you want another. I bought my Quickfire TK with Browns for use in work about 10 days after i got my Ducky Shine 3. It's why most of use refer to getting into mechanical keyboards as a rabbit hole :)

Top Bottom