• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Theory: Flappy Bird explains why Wii U isn't selling

LoveCake

Flappy Bird is nothing but flash-in the pan that has already been forgotten about,

PewDiePie is nothing but a Shill.

The WiiU just missed it's chance, it could've been great but Nintendo screwed up with it's low power usage philosophy because it compromised the console on so many levels.

Vire

The Wii U failed because it's a bad product not because it didn't take cues from Flappy Bird. PS4 is having no such problems.

BY2K

Membero Americo
His theories are getting stupider and stupider.

And he gets half a million view per videos...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

LegoArmo

Send all the top YouTube personalities a free console and games, 4 weeks before launch = Instant free (almost) advertising.

Sorian

Banned
The Wii U failed because it's a bad product not because it didn't take cues from Flappy Bird. PS4 is having no such problems.

That's because your average consumer is able to walk into a store, look at a PS4, and know that it is a different system from the PS3. That wasn't the case for a long time with the Wii U and I'd argue it still isn't the case.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
His theories are getting stupider and stupider.

And he gets half a million view per videos...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

He actually does seem really good stuff (his video explaining Pewdiepie's popularity was one of his best), but yeah this one seems kinda dumb.

Christhor

People, he is not saying that this is the only reason that the Wii U isn't selling. Watch the original video, where he says it's also because of factors like no games, poor technical capabilities, price, etc. Seeing some of the comments here, it seems like some of you haven't even watched this video, let alone the other in the three parter.

I was just saying that if you can find plenty of Nintendo LP's on Youtube. I know the ID claims scare off some people from posting them. But i've seen VideogamesAreAwesome posting a LP of DKC:TF, and they were definitely one of the Youtube channels on the front line of complaining about ID claims. I don't think that they'd post them if they weren't making money off them.

You're wrong, they are not making money off the video themselves. People donated money for them to put them up on youtube.

I think this video overstates the importance of YT celebrities, but if you replace that with "hype" it makes a valid point.

Hype is such an important factor for consoles, while PS4 didn't have PewDiePie, it basically had the internet, the internet led to the mainstream media and the mainstream media led to the average consumer. It had a clear message which was "PS4, most powerful console, cheaper than XBox One, not always online, no DRM". They didn't show off the box, which led to both annoyance and more hype for E3 before unleashing the above. It was a perfect storm of hype.

The Wii U, on the other hand, was revealed to absolute confusion both from the gaming media and enthusiasts alike. Was it a controller for the Wii? Was it a new console? It raised questions, but not in a theoretical "what can we expect?" sense, but a "I have no idea what the message is" sense. When the hardware specs started leaking and people realised the hardware wasn't much better than what they had and the cost was just too high, the hype died and never recovered because it never really fixed the mistakes. It wasn't the most powerful console, nor was it a gimmick that was new and exciting.

Like I said, PewDiePie and Youtubers impact is way overestimated, but the valid point is that hype can push a product to stupid levels or kill a product dead. It doesn't matter what the catalyst is.

SkylineRKR

Wii was about young people standing and being cool while playing motion controlled games in party mode. Your sister or even parents might've bought one.

Wii U is about a gamepad thats difficult to explain and doesn't really breathe party play. Released at a time when those visuals, and gameplay experiences were 7 years old. No sister is going to touch that.

Wii was cool, Wii U is not.

RagnarokX

People, he is not saying that this is the only reason that the Wii U isn't selling. Watch the original video, where he says it's also because of factors like no games, poor technical capabilities, price, etc. Seeing some of the comments here, it seems like some of you haven't even watched this video, let alone the other in the three parter.

You're wrong, they are not making money off the video themselves. People donated money for them to put them up on youtube.

But is it A reason? Popular channels have made videos of Wii U games. Pewdiepie, Game Grumps, Two Best Friends, Smosh, Gamexplain.

Oersted

Flappy Bird became a thing because of PewDiePie? Have we reached that stage already? I'm sad :(

If I learned anything, than it is that history is constantly rewritten on YouTube and wikipedia. Don't be so backwards.

Have they made any recently? Genuinely curious, as I don't watch any of those shows. Nintendo really just started going against youtubers in the last 6(?) months or so ago, so if they made the videos before that, then it's a different story.

Is youtube so hard to use? There are countless 3D World and Tropical Freeze videos.

Christhor

But is it A reason? Popular channels have made videos of Wii U games. Pewdiepie, Game Grumps, Two Best Friends, Smosh, Gamexplain.

Have they made any recently? Genuinely curious, as I don't watch any of those shows. Nintendo really just started going against youtubers in the last 6(?) months or so ago, so if they made the videos before that, then it's a different story.

I really wish I could understand why people watch PewDiePie. I watched one video and had to click out after 15 seconds because it was unbearable.

Top Bottom