• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Theory: Flappy Bird explains why Wii U isn't selling

RagnarokX

While the video might be right or wrong, youtube is huge as far as gaming goes and Nintendo being anal about it is not helping them.

There's two sides to youtube. Two Best Friends playing NSMBU was great. They were having great fun. Nintendo stopped them from uploading a full playthrough or something but they didn't make them take down the videos they already had. I think it was because the guy with the gamepad was constantly trolling the other players and making the game look undesireable or something. In their 3D World video they said something about Nintendo not liking it when they got angry with each other while playing their games.

On the other hand a channel like Game Grumps is a toss up. Arin let's his nostalgia get the best of him and he was shitting over NSMBWii constantly when they were playing it. They recently played Wind Waker HD, which they were pretty bad at but were more positive about it. They went for 48 videos though and made it to the Earth Temple.

Then you got channels like Gamexplain which have hours of analysis of current Nintendo footage.

And I see Pewdiepie made some Wii U videos.

dhlt25

that's what they get for throwing away free advertising. Seriously game companies should be way less anal about youtube

RagnarokX

He has a point. Why does Nintendo hate internet communities in a time when every one of their contemporaries has realized how much leg work they put in?

Except when they don't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlOOYz-xzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjShcaf9jOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNm816QUOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XxQf7k8Ln4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzJwipWvfQ

Maybe Nintendo disabled Game Theory's ability to search for evidence that didn't confirm their preconceived conclusion.

fred

Haven't watched the video, but what does it mean lack of YouTube support..? There's a YouTube app and the browser is even better than that. Am I missing something obvious..? :eek:/

Kade

Haven't watched the video, but what does it mean lack of YouTube support..? There's a YouTube app and the browser is even better than that. Am I missing something obvious..? :eek:/

They mean supporting the YouTube community and/or using the klout of popular YouTube channels to spread the word about their products.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think there's a glaring flaw in this argument. The 3DS.
If Nintendo's Youtube stance was to blame, the 3DS wouldn't have sold 40m.

Odrion

Banned
The Wii U is not a compelling product. All the Youtube videos in the world aren't going to change that. It's NOT marketing. It's that it's not appealing to the mass market at all.
Yeah, this.

Just admit it guys, there is no redemption for the WiiU. The sooner they kill it off and move on to a new and more compelling product, the better.

Pitmonkey

For the record, PewDiePie actually had a whole Zombi U series upon release. Clearly it did not have the same effect.

BigDug13

It must be youtube. It couldn't be that a Nintendo console has never cost more than $250 until now, and the tablet anchor making the price close to next gen while being crammed with barely-better-than-last-gen tech.

For sure, but YouTube is becoming an increasingly important avenue for exposure, and turning your back on it is extremely short-sighted, and will only become increasingly damaging.

Is there any actual evidence that Youtube personalities have a big effect on games or consoles that have million dollar marketing campaigns? They're helpful when you're talking about indie games where the developers don't have any money to market the games on their own. So, any additional exposure is a big help. But what is a Youtube personality going to do to help NSMBU, Zelda or 3D World sell more units? Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that it wouldn't help. I just don't think it'd make a big difference. I know EA made a big Youtube push with Battlefield 4, and that ended up selling worse than BF3.

Savitar

Flippy Bird might have been the hot new fad game of the moment but it's success can hardly explain much of anything.

As for Pew...I congratulate his success but that's about it.

The failure of the Wii U can only be blamed on Nintendo and it's overall attitude that seems to have learned all the wrong lessons for the past few years.

RagnarokX

It must be youtube. It couldn't be that a Nintendo console has never cost more than $250 until now, and the tablet anchor making the price close to next gen while being crammed with barely-better-than-last-gen tech.

To be fair, $250 is worth a lot less than it used to be. At some point you have to go up.

zuE5fZO.jpg

Atolm

Honestly, the first time I heard about Flappy Bird was when it was pulled from the stores. Nice marketing maneuver.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
He was on point with everything in the video. Don't know why everybody is saying the problems run deeper because it really is that simple, Nintendo is preventing people from showcasing their products to the greater masses. And the BS that the branding for the WiiU screwed them over has to rethink their conclusion. The iPhone has a bunch of different models but even a person who doesn't buy the phones know that their are different generations and different models within each generation. The WiiU was a crappy name but it wasn't the downfall, Nintendo's failure was not allowing for their games to be shown since it's forums that watch said videos that spread the news about said products and it eventually trickles down to the masses.

Nintendo can definitely recover from this and they know how to, they're just reinventing wheel each time and showing people what they want even though they don't even know that they want it.

If there are mistakes it's cause I'm on mobile, huge hassle to correct my sentences on it.

So Game Theory recently published a video that ties Nintendo's lack of YouTube support with why the Wii U isn't selling, based on the idea of Flappy Bird's success, which took off only when PewDiePie made a video about it.

It's an interesting idea, and while I'm Nintendo's backward policy undoubtedly is part of the issue, I personally don't think it's the main issue. The Wii U sold poorly from basically the start, predating Nintendo's YouTube stance. And while their YT stance certainly hasn't helped (relaxing those policies certainly wouldn't hurt their chances of regaining momentum) it doesn't change the fact that the Wii U appeared to be an undesirable product to the masses from the start.

But if anything, I think the video is further argument that Nintendo really needs to rethink some of its policies--and well, almost everything in terms of what their next move should be.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw

Um, it's gone now, but Flappy Bird used to have a file on AppAnnie and it reached #1 on the App Store charts about a week before PewDiePie even mentioned it in a video.

His video makes a good point. The Wii took off in the mainstream because of daytime TV shows, like morning shows/ Oprah/ whatever that really hyped the physical activity aspect of the console to the masses. The Wii-U tries to fit in with the tablet craze, but it doesn't quite work on that level. I don't think there has ever really been any games for the device that can justify the existence of having a screen on the controller... outside of streaming games.

Nintendo is preventing people from showcasing their products to the greater masses.

No they aren't. I just typed in a few Nintendo games with "Let's Play" and found these channels

https://www.youtube.com/user/cobanermani456/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/Geilkind/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/kwingsletsplays/videos

They're almost entirely devoted to Nintendo walkthroughs, and the channels have a pretty large amount of subscribers. And there are a bunch of others. You can literally type in any Wii U game with "Let's Play" and you'll find a ton of results. The whole anti-Youtube thing from Nintendo has been completely overblown. There are plenty of videos out there for anyone that wants to see them.

And the BS that the branding for the WiiU screwed them over has to rethink their conclusion. The iPhone has a bunch of different models but even a person who doesn't buy the phones know that their are different generations and different models within each generation.

How is it BS? Several major non-gaming news sites ran stories about how the Wii U was just a new controller after Nintendo unveiled it. Jimmy Fallon called it an add-on for the Wii, and Reggie later had to correct him. There absolutely was and probably still is marketing confusion going on with it.

MrT-Tar

I've seen quite a few Nintendo adverts on Youtube videos, I had a NES Remix one just the other day. I really don't see the point of this article at all...

Revven

This just supports why I never watch Game Theory and question why anyone gives this youtube channel any attention. How does Flappy Bird, of all things, explain anything about why the Wii U isn't selling? The only thing the Wii U has to blame for not selling is the company that is trying to sell it and that is Nintendo -- how they marketed it to their target audiences.

If they marketed it well, then there would be these "youtube personalities" making videos of their games -- regardless of Nintendo's support (because *shocker* they would know they're good games and that people would want to see them play those good games). But because the marketing was abysmal (and everything leading up to launch and after launch) none of these big "youtube personalities" care. Plus, Flappy Bird is free so this comparison is a little bit ludicrous if not ridiculously skewed.

Youtube and the Flappy Bird example is not why the Wii U is doing bad.

MarkusRJR

Another totally off the mark Game Theory. There are many more factors than just word of mouth that caused the Wii U to be a failure. No third party support, weak hardware, weak gimmick, long patches of no releases, high price due to gimmick, poor advertising, poor online (when compared to competition), very few "mature"/realistic games, etc. Word of mouth may have contributed, but it certainly isn't even one of the main factors for why it's selling so poorly. The last two Game Theories have been really poor... I hope it gets back onto theories about games rather than a poorly thought out " theories" on the industry.

No they aren't. I just typed in a few Nintendo games with "Let's Play" and found these channels

https://www.youtube.com/user/cobanermani456/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/Geilkind/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/kwingsletsplays/videos

They're almost entirely devoted to Nintendo walkthroughs, and the channels have a pretty large amount of subscribers. And there are a bunch of others. You can literally type in any Wii U game with "Let's Play" and you'll find a ton of results. The whole anti-Youtube thing from Nintendo has been completely overblown. There are plenty of videos out there for anyone that wants to see them.
The main problem is that Nintendo is taking all the ad revenue via YouTube's content ID system. Whilst other companies let YouTubers keep their ad revenue, Nintendo will constantly content ID you and claim all advertising revenue. I know a few YouTubers who gave been content ID'd for having a sound effect from Nintendo game (eg. Mario's coin sound effect was her text message noise in a non gaming related video) and all of their ad money went straight to Nintendo. You can dispute over unfair content ID cases (like my example), but the money that the video made until the issue gets disputed still all goes to whichever company claims it (aka Nintendo). There's a 30 day response to disputes so companies can (and consistently do) wait until the last day to wring most of the ad money from videos. It's really fucked up and when you know that a company always does it I'd imagine people would try to avoid their games, especially if they really care about their ad revenue.

Luckily there are enough Nintendo fans who don't give a shit about the ad revenue to make videos, but a lot of the bigger ones do (Game Grumps seems to be an exception, since they play whatever the fuck they feel like).

So a noted YouTuber thinks Nintendo needs to ease off and let YouTubers make money off their content? And that will magically save the Wii U...because Flappy Bird? That's certainly a " theory."

KJRS_1993

I came, I saw Pewdiepie, I got offended by his douchebag face, I left.
The Wii U has many, many reasons why it's not selling.

I've seen quite a few Nintendo adverts on Youtube videos, I had a NES Remix one just the other day. I really don't see the point of this article at all...

It's not about whether there are Nintendo ads on youtube in general. it's about Nintendo not allowing youtubers to monetise Nintendo content meaning that they don't do as much coverage of Nintendo games. Cutting off their potential exposure to millions. Plus if you see ads in Nintendo videos it doesn't mean the content creator is getting the revenue as Nintendo could ID match it and take the monetisation themselves

Though didn't Nintendo ease off on their anti-youtube stuff lately?

The main problem is that Nintendo is taking all the ad revenue via YouTube's content ID system. Whilst other companies let YouTubers keep their ad revenue, Nintendo will constantly content ID you and claim all advertising revenue. I know a few YouTubers who gave been content ID'd for having a sound effect from Nintendo game (eg. Mario's coin sound effect was her text message noise in a non gaming related video) and all of their ad money went straight to Nintendo. You can dispute over unfair content ID cases (like my example), but the money that the video made until the issue gets disputed still all goes to whichever company claims it (aka Nintendo). There's a 30 day response to disputes so companies can (and consistently do) wait until the last day to wring most of the ad money from videos. It's really fucked up and when you know that a company always does it I'd imagine people would try to avoid their games, especially if they really care about their ad revenue.

You know, I agree that Content ID claims over something like sound effects is fucked up, and using footage for a review very clearly falls under fair use, but to be honest I don't see the problem with a company insisting on receiving ad royalties from, say, a Let's Play. I think they should probably at least get a cut...nobody has an inalienable right to make a career out of talking over video game footage, so this really shouldn't be an outrage.

Luckily there are enough Nintendo fans who don't give a shit about the ad revenue to make videos, but a lot of the bigger ones do (Game Grumps seems to be an exception, since they play whatever the fuck they feel like).

I was just saying that if you can find plenty of Nintendo LP's on Youtube. I know the ID claims scare off some people from posting them. But i've seen VideogamesAreAwesome posting a LP of DKC:TF, and they were definitely one of the Youtube channels on the front line of complaining about ID claims. I don't think that they'd post them if they weren't making money off them.

I just don't think that their Youtube stance has played much of a role in the Wii U's lack of popularity. If it did then it's certainly far behind issues like price, lack of third party support, gaps between major releases and brand confusion.

You know, I agree that Content ID claims over something like sound effects is fucked up, and using footage for a review very clearly falls under fair use, but to be honest I don't see the problem with a company insisting on receiving ad royalties from, say, a Let's Play. I think they should probably at least get a cut...nobody has an inalienable right to make a career out of talking over video game footage, so this really shouldn't be an outrage.

The way it works now is they don't get a cut; they get the entire amount , minus whatever % YouTube makes

Plus it doesn't only affect Let's Plays, as it potentially affects any video that makes use of the footage, including reviews

sappyday

Nintendo has just become an image. Most videos on YouTube that have video game sketches still resort to Nintendo and its classics. It's done because it's recognizable and are very much classic. But that's just it. Everyone knows who Mario is the same way that everyone knows who Mickey Mouse is but a movie about Mickey Mouse probably wouldn't make as much money as another Despicable Me movie. Nintendo is still resorting to their old stuff instead of moving on. This is a crutch for them and the Wii U console is parallel to that as well. The PS4 and X1 are exciting new technology. You look at the Wii U's library and all you see are games that seem just like the usual (Nintendo games) that have always been there and games you've already played on your PS3/360 already. Add the fact that Nintendo has been shoddy on the marketing and you have a console that was never gonna see any success.

I wouldn't be surprised if almost all of PewDiePie's subscribers know that the Wii U exists, just that they don't care that it does. They see the new Mario game and all they see is just another Mario game. But they see PewDiePie play this game they've never heard of and they go out looking for it.

Wii U's faults and failure are really up front. There is no mystery behind it all.

The way it works now is they don't get a cut; they get the entire amount , minus whatever % YouTube makes

Plus it doesn't only affect Let's Plays, as it potentially affects any video that makes use of the footage, including reviews

Yeah, I do think the policy should be changed. In fact I think IP law in general would be a lot fairer and more reasonable if it was approached with some actual nuance. It just seems like the conversation I hear is basically how dare Nintendo demand payment for these videos, and I feel like the reality is less black and white.

Sorian

Banned
That is one of the dumbest arguments for the failure of the Wii U that I have ever heard

I haven't watched this video yet but I plan to later (I quite enjoy game theory actually) but this is a part of a series of why the Wii U has done terribly and the first video highlighted how so much of nintendo's approach was the same as the shitty virtual boy which I found to be pretty true.

Anyway, yeah every argument against nintendo and the wii u is the dumbest argument ever. Not saying you are a big nintendo fan because I don't know you offhand but some people seem to think nintendo is perfect and the wii u is just a silly little flop brought about by random chance.

Totally unrelated to the video presented:
I think Flappy Bird is pretty instructive as to how Nintendo has lost their edge. Flappy Bird became popular largely due to word of mouth and the incredibly low barrier to access. People heard about it from a friend, downloaded it during the conversation where they heard about it from their friend, and played it. They used social services to point out they were playing it, and it frustrated them, or they hated it, or they loved it, which further spread word of mouth. The game cost $0.00 and was a small download size, so no trouble to just download it right then and there.

The Wii was popular because people became instant converts. It was easy. The controller was easier than any other controller. The remote metaphor was understood instantly. The pack-in game was of obvious interest to a broad group of people, and the rules of each sport explained themselves obviously. The barriers to using the Wii were far lower than the barriers to using conventional consoles.

Now there are easier options. Even if Nintendo had great software today, their method of delivery puts up barriers. Barriers get in the way of casual or low-investment users checking out their product. People can debate to high heavens whether mobile sucks or whatever, whether Mario is genius and <insert mobile game here> is terrible. But if someone said "What's the absolutely easiest way for me to play a game in the next few minutes", you'd point to their mobile phone. And that can't be underestimated as a market that Nintendo once had and now doesn't and won't.

Stump as always taking the better words right out of my mouth but I'll chime in anyway--Nintendo's biggest mistake over the last few years was resisting the devaluation of video gaming. It's perfectly understandable but it's killing them--there's absolutely no grease on their wheels in delivering an accessible game experience. It's a bitter pill for them to swallow that they'd be better off giving some of their stuff away cheap or free and you can tell it goes against the very core of the company's ideology.

VariantX

The problem here is that its not a cut. YouTube and the person/group/company that files the claim get all of the money and the uploader nothing. YouTube and these content holders could work something out so everyone gets a piece, but why have some of the money, when you can have ALL of the money.

Top Bottom