• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nier aka Giving the Shadowlord A Big Sloppy Kiss

Yasumi

Banned
I got too many games in the backlog to give the game the 4 ending runthrough-watched the other endings on youtube though.

The ending isn't what makes new game+ so special. The bulk of the actual changes occur during the playthrough itself. You're really missing out.

Saphirax

I got too many games in the backlog to give the game the 4 ending runthrough-watched the other endings on youtube though.

It's a shame though. The discovery of what exactly is going on as you play is what makes the game amazing, not just the endings. I hope the endings you saw had the alternative (or added) dialogue for all bosses from part 2 of the game.

Probably the best story in any game I've played and in my top five games of all time. A must play for everyone.

Also, I don't know that I believe that anyone is a hermaphrodite or gay in the game. I think there is a big difference between looking up to a male figure as a 12 year old and being gay. Also being possessed by a male demon as a female doesn't = hermaphrodite.

Edit: I guess in the Grimoire Nier (The Nier Art/Story Book that came with the Japanese version) it supposedly does state that Kaine a hermaphrodite and that Emil is gay. I'd like to read it myself, which you can here I guess.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I finished this a few weeks ago and I have to say it's definitely one of the under-appreciated gems of last generation. The music is insanely good.

Gbraga

Great write up, OP! It took me around 3 or 4 tries until it finally clicked with me and it's now honestly one of my favorites ever, one of those games I'll make sure to have with me (had it on 360 but now I only own a PS3, I wish it was available on PSN).

What a beautiful story and soundtrack.

xyzls

So we all agree, this game is awesome for its music and story, but the story execution, gameplay and graphics are horrible.

Sounds like we need a remake!!

Gbraga

So we all agree, this game is awesome for its music and story, but the story execution, gameplay and graphics are horrible.

Eh, I think the story execution was really good, especially the way they played with new game + and multiple endings.

The graphics were bad, but I didn't really mind, at least not enough to ask for a remake.

The gameplay had its moments, it went everywhere having even survival horror and bullet hell. Overall it was "meh", I agree.

MormaPope

Banned

Yeah, Square Enix is going to fund and remake Nier, yup, totally possible. Chances are Final Fantasy 7 will be remade ten times over than Nier being remade or remastered.

For all the complaints about gameplay I had a lot of fun, tons of variety with a lot of weapons and spells. There were also a lot of side quests and activities. On a technical level, yeah, Nier is no looker, but I loved how varied the environments were. No areas felt stale or reused, each area geographically has its own color pallete, along with different locals and animal types.

Nier is the definition of a B tier game, and yet some people want it to have AAA qualities. Screw that, Nier is perfect as is. I had more fun with Nier's gameplay than any other Square Enix published game last gen.

This game is amazing, all I've been hearing for the last two weeks it the OST again and again.

Kaine is also amazing, I love her.

I finished this game a week ago, and I gotta say that you have not finished Nier until you see Ending B. I don't mean just watching the ending on youtube, I mean playing the 2nd run which just takes a couple of hours.

Can anyone help me out with something, when does this particular song (
Emil Karma
) play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4aRbiTMBUE

When you fight
Goose(the giant boar shade in the Shadowlord's castle) alongside the King.

Nier and Deadly Premonition, the kings of them feels.

Not to denigrate Deadly Premonition, but, unfortunately, Nier doesn't have a campy hook or the bullshit "so bad it's good!" thing to trick people into playing it. It's a shame, since I think it could have really benefited from the sort of word of mouth surrounding Deadly Premonition.

Gbraga

I finished this game a week ago, and I gotta say that you have not finished Nier until you see Ending B. I don't mean just watching the ending on youtube, I mean playing the 2nd run which just takes a couple of hours.

Yep, C and D are definitely optional imo, but B is where the game actually ends. Great use of new game + with both the new content and skipping through the first part of the game.

Taruranto

I'm playing it right now. People think Nier is unlikeable and a "hulking savage"? I'm surprised, he has been nothing but kind to everyone, he helps the villagers with their problems, is kind to Kainè and isn't afraid of Emil. Even though Yonah is his priority he's not afraid to side step to help his friends.

Anyway, coming from Drakengard (which was like, the worst game ever) I was really, really curious to see what all the fuss was about and bloody hell, while it could certainly use some improvements (Bilions of fetch quests and no fast traveler? Meh.) the moment I stepped into
Emil's manor and the game turned into some sort of RE parody with fixed camera angles and slow running
I knew the game won me over. I genuinely think the gameplay is funny, it mixes enough things to always keep things fresh.

So, I take my imaginary hat off to you, Yoko Taro. I thought you were just an hack, but Nier has been nothing but brilliant.

I still won't buy Drakengard 3, I hate Drakengard.

Nier is the definition of a B tier game, and yet some people want it to have AAA qualities. Screw that, Nier is perfect as is. I had more fun with Nier's gameplay than any other Square Enix published game last gen.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I had more fun with Nier's gameplay than, say, a random KH game.

Kssio_Aug

Why isn Nier selling at PSN! T-T
I really wanted to play that, but cant find reatail for good price where I live, and actually I buy every game digitally.

cj_iwakura

I'm playing it right now. People think Nier is unlikeable and a "hulking savage"? I'm surprised, he has been nothing but kind to everyone, he helps the villagers with their problems, is kind to Kainè and isn't afraid of Emil. Even though Yonah is his priority he's not afraid to side step to help his friends.

Anyway, coming from Drakengard (which was like, the worst game ever) I was really, really curious to see what all the fuss was about and bloody hell, while it could certainly use some improvements (Bilions of fetch quests and no fast traveler? Meh.) the moment I stepped into
Emil's manor and the game turned into some sort of RE parody with fixed camera angles and slow running
I knew the game won me over. I genuinely think the gameplay is funny, it mixes enough things to always keep things fresh.

So, I take my imaginary hat off to you, Yoko Taro. I thought you were just an hack, but Nier has been nothing but brilliant.

I still won't buy Drakengard 3, I hate Drakengard.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I had more fun with Nier's gameplay than, say, a random KH game.

I enjoyed my time with Drakengard. Glad I judged for myself.

Top Bottom