• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American Vita Compatible PSone Games

mattp

so when the hell are they going to fix the aspect ratio on the vita ps1 emulator?
if you select normal screen mode, where it SHOULD just scale the image vertically to fill the screen while preserving the aspect ratio, it doesn't do that. instead it seems to ONLY scale it vertically, so you're left with a slightly squashed image, horizontally. its fucking annoying
and to make matters worse the custom mode is next to impossible to use because it only works with the touchscreen. if they would just add a "lock aspect ratio" option for custom mode it would be fine.

so when the hell are they going to fix the aspect ratio on the vita ps1 emulator?
if you select normal screen mode, where it SHOULD just scale the image vertically to fill the screen while preserving the aspect ratio, it doesn't do that. instead it seems to ONLY scale it vertically, so you're left with a slightly squashed image, horizontally. its fucking annoying
and to make matters worse the custom mode is next to impossible to use because it only works with the touchscreen. if they would just add a "lock aspect ratio" option for custom mode it would be fine.

What's wrong with custom mode? I was able to re-scale Spyro 1 to exactly how I wanted it in like, 10 seconds.

mattp

What's wrong with custom mode? I was able to re-scale Spyro 1 to exactly how I wanted it in like, 10 seconds.

you cant force a locked aspect ratio. its SO hard to accurately drag that thing, it moves all over the place. and its basically up to us to estimate when we've got it at a proper 4:3 ratio
its so stupid

edit: but really, the point is "normal" should just work properly. i bet 95% of people use custom to try and do what normal was supposed to be right in the first place

you cant force a locked aspect ratio. its SO hard to accurately drag that thing, it moves all over the place. and its basically up to us to estimate when we've got it at a proper 4:3 ratio

I'm pretty sure there is a checkbox on the screen when you start pinching to adjust that locks the aspect ratio. But I agree with you that "Normal" is wrong and should be fixed.

mattp

I'm pretty sure there is a checkbox on the screen when you start pinching to adjust that locks the aspect ratio. But I agree with you that "Normal" is wrong and should be fixed.

oh man, if i missed that lol im an idiot
i need to check now

edit: oh my god, THERE IS A LOCK ASPECT RATIO CHECKBOX. did they add that in a firmware update? because i could have sworn that was't there the last time i tried(i havent played a ps1 game on my vita in a while). man, this is great, thanks for making me look haha

PrinceKee

Even though I wanted to buy the Crash Bandicoot series while it was on sale and didn't I still think I'm going to. What is the best game in the series or should I just start with the 1st one? Also do these games show up in the store on the Vita or do I have to buy them on the website and then go my games library on vita and download it?

KalBalboa

Banned
Even though I wanted to buy the Crash Bandicoot series while it was on sale and didn't I still think I'm going to. What is the best game in the series or should I just start with the 1st one? Also do these games show up in the store on the Vita or do I have to buy them on the website and then go my games library on vita and download it?

The second option, for now. Buy them, then go to your Download List on your Vita/PC and copy them over that way.

I think the first game is a great place to start, but 3 (Warped) is the best in the series.

Garraboa

EMERGENCY! Apparently Sony has closed the floodgates regarding Classics compatibility, so if you still don't have Crash/Spyro/Blood Omen/LAPD,etc. go to your download list ASAP and get them before the remove them for good! (apparently this is being done in waves, so your account might still be able to download them)

bumpkin

So does this mean all PSOne classics are downloadable on the Vita, then? It'd be awesome to not have to do the download-it-on-PS3-then-transfer bullshit anymore.

Also, is Soul Reaver among the group? I've never actually played through the game. I tried it on PSOne when it first came out way back when -- a beta build I was writing a preview for -- but never actually got to the end. I vaguely recall getting hopelessly stuck.

KalBalboa

Banned
So does this mean all PSOne classics are downloadable on the Vita, then? It'd be awesome to not have to do the download-it-on-PS3-then-transfer bullshit anymore.

Also, is Soul Reaver among the group? I've never actually played through the game. I tried it on PSOne when it first came out way back when -- a beta build I was writing a preview for -- but never actually got to the end. I vaguely recall getting hopelessly stuck.

Check the list on the first page, amigo.

KalBalboa

Banned
Absolute horseshit on Sony's part ..

I understand the licensing issues but there has got to be some general terms where it's device agnostic.

I almost had Future Cop.

1380457113_bruce_eyes.gif

BONKERS

Fuckin serious?

My lord Sony what the fug you doin?

/Digital Distribution!

Another reason why Sony is completely incompetent, their digital distribution model is crap, and another strike against the Vita that was literally fine mere moments ago

KalBalboa

Banned
Fuckin serious?

My lord Sony what the fug you doin?

/Digital Distribution!

Another reason why Sony is completely incompetent, their digital distribution model is crap, and another strike against the Vita that was literally fine mere moments ago

They're still leagues ahead of the competition when it comes to grandfathering, unified accounts, and cross-buy/cross-save/cross-play. To call them "completely incompetent" is pretty hyperbolic, considering what they offer across three/four pieces of hardware these days (you could buy a PSone classic and have it transfer over to PS3 and Vita, saves included without paying an extra penny).

Typically, they're really good about this kind of thing. This is just a thorn that's been in the side of Vita owners for a long time.

BONKERS

Well it's mostly an irrational emotional response.

I still don't understand how they don't see how horrible the idea of a download list is. There's no quick and easy, let alone meaningful way for a user to access his or her purchased content.

There needs to be a library function like Steam/origin.

And this proves that all these PSP/PSOne games are pretty much working A-OK. But they don't let us access or use them? WHY?

This is especially insulting for PSP games considering how much PSP owners were pretty much shafted from the get go.

Well it's mostly an irrational emotional response.

I still don't understand how they don't see how horrible the idea of a download list is. There's no quick and easy, let alone meaningful way for a user to access his or her purchased content.

There needs to be a library function like Steam/origin.

And this proves that all these PSP/PSOne games are pretty much working A-OK. But they don't let us access or use them? WHY?

This is especially insulting for PSP games considering how much PSP owners were pretty much shafted from the get go.

It's all licensing. They need to get written permission from publishers for each game to be sold for a specific platforms use. Essentially they would need to renegotiate and redo contracts for hundreds of titles which will take time and money. Also getting new contracts out can be problematic when the publishers start requesting more money for titles.

The titles are put on PSN for express usage on stuff like PS3, or PSP, but Sony can't then have these games work on PS4, Vita, or any future machines they make like say they create a cellphone that can play some games. The publishes have to give consent on what platforms their software is released on.

So Sony owned titles, they should all be made available for Vita obviously, but for any 3rd party software, they would need to get written consent.

BONKERS

Weren't Crash 1-3 and Spyro Published by Sony though?

Also: Licensing. Meh, another reason we should be able to convert our own games.

Ok guys i have a question.

I am contemplating buying a Vita for old school RPG's, but i wasnt sure if they would work on the vita.

have they fixed adding PS1 classics to it? I was gonna get FF7-9, SotN, CHrono Cross, and suikoden on one. will i have trouble with any of them, or can i just goto the vita PSN and download them?

thanks Vita-GAF!

EDIT: its a NA vita, if that makes a difference

Ok guys i have a question.

I am contemplating buying a Vita for old school RPG's, but i wasnt sure if they would work on the vita.

have they fixed adding PS1 classics to it? I was gonna get FF7-9, SotN, CHrono Cross, and suikoden on one. will i have trouble with any of them, or can i just goto the vita PSN and download them?

thanks Vita-GAF!

EDIT: its a NA vita, if that makes a difference

You can buy, download and play all of those on the Vita.
There's actually a lot of old school PsOne RPGs available.

Garraboa

I know it's a bit touchy to bring this topic again after such a collosal disappointment from how SCEA handled the whole "open floodgates" situation last april , but I believe the list still must be updated, no matter how grim things may seem for us in NA. After all, PSTV is coming, so that might give SCEA some incentive to finish updating their damn licenses already (Believe...). In the meantime, here's what's missing from the list from what I gathered:

These games are up for download directly from the Vita store, but aren't on the list:

Bust-A-Move 4
Dragon Beat: Legend Of Pinball
Heroine Dream
Heroine Dream 2
Hyper Crazy Climber
Mr Driller
Neo Planet
Sarara's Little Shop
Tokyo 23-Ku Seifuku Wars

This game's incompatible, but not on the list:

Bomberman Fantasy Race

And these games remain untested:

Bomberman Party Edition
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Red Alert Retaliation
Delta Force Urban Warfare
Ford Racing
Sno-Cross Championship Racing
Turnabout

Also, there were some interesting events regarding compatiblilty on Vita today. First, for some reason, the PSOne Classics category on the Vita store seems to be gone for no reason, though you can still access the games via the scrolling banners on the top. Second, though it is not connected to PSOne Classics (but to overall compatibility), Jeanne D'Arc and Grand Turismo PSP seem to have appeared on the Vita store for download out of nowhere.

Now, I might be reading too much into it, but it could be a sign that SCEA is finally pulling their heads out of their asses and has started with the whole re-licensing deals so that all PS1/PSP games become compatible before PSTV launches. But since it is SCEA We're dealing with here, who knows.

Redhood

Also, there were some interesting events regarding compatiblilty on Vita today. First, for some reason, the PSOne Classics category on the Vita store seems to be gone for no reason, though you can still access the games via the scrolling banners on the top. Second, though it is not connected to PSOne Classics (but to overall compatibility), Jeanne D'Arc and Grand Turismo PSP seem to have appeared on the Vita store for download out of nowhere.

Now, I might be reading too much into it, but it could be a sign that SCEA is finally pulling their heads out of their asses and has started with the whole re-licensing deals so that all PS1/PSP games become compatible before PSTV launches. But since it is SCEA We're dealing with here, who knows.

I think this again is a glitch! As if you search gran turismo it shows ps3 gt5 dlc on the vita store available for purchase and download.

Top Bottom