• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV Battle footage. (bad quality for now)

Do you remember FIV, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X? And those are off the top of my head. FF has long done female characters well.

Knowing that, don't you think SE probably isn't thoughtlessly making a male-only game?

I mean, don't get me wrong here, I entirely understand you point and your concern. But I don't think the male-focused cast is necessarily a bad thing in itself if it fits the story they want to tell. Especially when the past three XIII games have all had female leads, as have other games in the series. On top of that most of the series' casts are pretty evenly split sex-wise. The don't have a very bad track record for this stuff.

Bazztek

Banned
Its not like they showed gameplay or anything...........

Except they did, in 2010, and again in 2011, and two times in 2013, let me guess, you will say they mocked up 4 completely different trailers all longer than 1 minute, just to try and "trick" people into thinking it was real gameplay, and will try and bring up E3 2006's XIII trailer as if that has any relevance, ignoring how all the FFXIII trailers from 2008+ played just as the final game played, ignoring how the FF Type-0 pre-release trailer played just as the final release played.

But I love ff because they are turn based. They have been for 10 games.

Only four mainline FF games are turn based though, being FF I, II, III and X, so I guess you don't love FF as much as you claim.

FFI, II and III are strict turn based, these feature no time system.

FFIV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX are ATB based, thus time based, not turn based, battles operate on the presence of time, enemies attack independently from the players input, the player standing idle can result in you dying, because time is constantly flowing, and no, not even wait mode makes it "turn based", because all that does is pause time when you are in a sub menu like Items or Magic, time still passes and ATB bars still load, the action of pausing time itself can only be done when time is present, thus cementing ATB based FF games as time based games, these games are time based but without any movement.

FFX uses the CTB system which is stocked turns, it differs from FFI-III, but is still one of the four only turn based mainline FF games.

FFXI is an MMORPG, and uses the RTB system, this is the real time battle system that has enemies who roam on the overworld, it also uses a cooldown system similar to the ATB system, it is time based with movement.

FFXII is a variant of the ATB system, using the ADB system which mixes real time movement with the ATB cooldowns, the player can freely switch between party members whenever they want, giving more control of your party in this game than in FFIV-IX, where in those games you are forced to give up control of a single character after a single input, thus restricting the gameplay by restricting how often you can control a given character, and thus giving less freedom to the player, while in FFXII there is no such restriction, for the duration you control one given character the other two party members function via AI that you can manually set up, and you can freely switch to them at any time, it is time based with movement.

FFXIII is another variant on the ATB system, using the CSB system, but this time more akin to IV-IX, but with more restrictions in place, limiting you to control only one character without the option to switch to another party member, instead you set up paradigms before battle which automate your other party members inputs, it is time based without any movement.

FFXIV uses a variation of the RTB system, which is real time combat, thus it's time based with movement.

FF Type-0 uses another variation on the ATB system, known as ATB Kai, it is essentially an ATB bar sped up to the point where it's instantly charged, and thus creates the sense of full real time combat and movement, thus it is time based with movement, it uses a party based system similar to FF12, where you directly control one character and the other two are AI, and you can freely switch between other party members whenever you want.

And now XV, much like Type-0, is fully real time in both combat and movement, also using the free party switching featured in FFXII and Type-0, and it being fully real time means it is offering the most freedom to the player out of any mainline FF game before it, since even 12 had the cooldowns adding some restrictions on inputs, while no such restriction is on XV, you can control a given party member for as long as you want and can freely switch to another party member at any time, with access to the full range of a characters abilities at will with no needless restriction in place to limit a play style, in addition since it mixes action elements, such as abilities and the like this offers more range of play styles for how you carry out anything, XV is time based with movement.

The majority of the FF series is known for being a time based series, not a turn based one, the spectrum of turn based to time based systems slowly introduced more time elements ranges from these

I, II, III +X = Turn based without cooldowns and without movement.
IV-IX+XIII= Time based with cooldowns and without movement.
XI, XII and XIV =Time based with cooldowns and with movement
XV = Time based without cooldowns and with movement.

There was a time when I was the only turn based FF, there was a time when IV was the only time based FF, there was a time when XI was the only FF with real time movement, now multiple of each of these elements exist.

Its calculated. I can plot my strategy out perfectly and see it all come together.

I don't see how a fully real time system which offers all the commands a "turn based" and "ATB" based system uses is in anyway not as "calculated", especially when the factor of real time movement increases the players input all the more, thus increasing what you must consider as opposed to in strict turn based, since in real time positioning is now a concern, be it aerial or ground, be it far or close, factoring in projectiles, factoring in enemy speed, factoring in your own movement speed and ability to maneuver around, factoring in real time blocking, dodging, dashing, air dashing etc, in addition to the standard command options, being Attack, Item, Summon, Magic and Game specific command menu options.

In a turn based game how is casting a fire spell with one party member, then using attack with another party member any more strategy than using a fire magic spell with one party member and then using another party member to attack in a fully real time RPG?

This game is "run around, and dodge dudes, and jump over that thing, and....you know what? Fuck it, its kingdom hearts."

No, it's more a mix of the party based combat of FF Type-0, mixed with the free movement of KH/Dissidia systems.

Airgetlam

Looks good. Still pretty rough, but I imagine this is still early footage. If the other characters are also playable I hope they make each one have different play styles. Like Noctis has the teleportation and weapon switching but someone else can be long range, etc.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
what the hell are you talking about, have you even been following this games development

Yes, I have, even back in 2006 I had the same opinion. If this game didn't have the Final Fantasy name, it would be seen as just another action / hack n' slash game.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, mate. I never said the game is going to be bad, just stating my opinion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This keeps looking more and more like Kingdom Hearts but aimed at an older crowd.
This is exactly what I want this game to be.

lantus

I don't get why the camera is so close during combat, they already know better from making Kingdom Hearts. Still don't know what to make of the game's combat, but I'll probably be there day one regardless.

sn00zer

Has about 20 to 30 seconds of new gameplay mixed in with the old.

This keeps looking more and more like Kingdom Hearts but aimed at an older crowd. As someone who never saw the appeal for KH, this pleases me.

Keep Lightning out of this shit and you have my money, Square.

pretty much what ive always wanted from square

sappyday

Yes, I have, even back in 2006 I had the same opinion. If this game didn't have the Final Fantasy name, it would be seen as just another action / hack n' slash game.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, mate. I never said the game is going to be bad, just stating my opinion.
Well it would be weird seeing a game that isn't named Final Fantasy having chocobos, airships, and a theme of crystals.

Caffeine

this is pretty lazy trailer editing footage that is about a year old with only 30 seconds of additonal randomness cut in. I hope this isnt what they plan on showing because I want to see progress being made on the game not a year old build.

Tagg9

this is pretty lazy trailer editing footage that is about a year old with only 30 seconds of additonal randomness cut in. I hope this isnt what they plan on showing because I want to see progress being made on the game not a year old build.

Yep, they've definitely shown their E3 footage in advance at the Thailand Comic-con.

Bazztek

Banned
If this game didn't have the Final Fantasy name, it would be seen as just another action / hack n' slash game.

Yeah, apart from having a plot about the elemental crystals like the old FF games, classic monster and summon designs for the Leviathan, Iron Giant's, Behemoths, Imps, Wyverns and other monsters, Dragoon knights, summoners, magitek armor, Chocobo's, Buster swords and a wide array of weapons in general, Cactuars, moogles, pilot-able airships, traversable world map, mostly medieval world setting mixed with modern elements, including medieval castles, the typical FF magic names and magic being powered by the crystal, the plot dealing with kingdoms warring over the crystals etc

It has just about everything in common with the FF name right down to the very basis of it's premise, a story about a prince tasked with guarding a crystal, including the basis of FF itself which is that it changes between entries in terms of gameplay and worlds.

If this game wasn't called Final Fantasy then people would be wondering why it wasn't called an Final Fantasy.

Rojo

Dude that argument can go both ways.

Gorillaz

I don't see the people upset about it not being turned based. The series for the most part has been nothing but turned based.

It's ok to change it up a bit. The one thing FF needs is a change.

Lucent

Brofist. All you turn-based chumps can suck it. Give me ARPG Final Fantasy now and forever.

lol! Yeah I think the way that the battle system was going with FFXIII, it might as well become full-control action instead of standing still. I'm sure the full game will have a more refined system and won't be as sloppy.

KoopaTheCasual

Yeah, apart from having a plot about the elemental crystals like the old FF games, classic monster and summon designs for the Leviathan, Iron Giant's, Behemoths, Imps, Wyverns and other monsters, Dragoon knights, summoners, magitek armor, Chocobo's, Buster swords and a wide array of weapons in general, Cactuars, moogles, pilot-able airships, traversable world map, mostly medieval world setting mixed with modern elements, including medieval castles, the typical FF magic names and magic being powered by the crystal, the plot dealing with kingdoms warring over the crystals etc

It has just about everything in common with the FF name right down to the very basis of it's premise, a story about a prince tasked with guarding a crystal, including the basis of FF itself which is that it changes between entries in terms of gameplay and worlds.

If this game wasn't called Final Fantasy then people would be wondering why it wasn't called an Final Fantasy.
Thank you Bazztek, I feel like I'm losing my sanity and patience with all these terrible arguments. Why is it so hard for some people (and I say some, because others have no problem expressing this) to just admit that they don't like what this one numbered universe is going for, and not try to fabricate some arbitrary "true FF" argument, or proclaim the doom of the franchise?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Brofist. All you turn-based chumps can suck it. Give me ARPG Final Fantasy now and forever.

pretty much what ive always wanted from square

1339812926799.gif

looks like kingdomhearts dream drop distance with a all the jumping around spastic crap. Hopefully the story is good. the gameplay isn't impressive as of now

Toxi

Banned
A similarly idiotic statement was made in another recent FFXV thread.

All their casts have been pretty evenly split. XV, so far, is a very obvious regression in that area. And for no good reason. It's stupid to cite "realism" when "fantasy" is the name of the game.
There's also the problem that, aside from being all male, the party characters all look very samey.

And some crazy people then excuse that with horseshit like "visual diversity is a JRPG trope".
looks like kingdomhearts dream drop distance with a all the jumping around spastic crap. Hopefully the story is good. the gameplay isn't impressive as of now
Seems too early to make comparisons, especially since the gameplay seems to be a work in progress.

So the story calls for the main cast to be comprised of a bunch studs? Like I get that the party consists of Noctis's bros, but that's only because the devs designed it that way. They could have just as easily given Noctis female friends, but they didn't.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it's undeniably a step back from FF's usual party setup.

That's how I feel. I like how diverse the casts of other Final Fantasy games are. It's nice to see people from all walks of life mesh. Seeing a bunch of twenty something dudes in the same outfits just isn't as appealing.

I'm willing to give the game a chance. It might turn out well.

The new angles look a bit more slick than the old ones, glad to see even this tiny offering of new footage. I can't wait for this game, it's everything I've wanted from Square since I first got my grubby mitts on Kingdom Hearts and started wishing for a Final Fantasy that played like that.

Tetranet

The music actually reminds me of KH...is this using the same composer?

Music in Kingdom Hearts does not mimic Latin ecclesiastical music. While it is Shimomura Yoko, the theme here is completely different.

Also, girls with fujoshi interests will go insane over FFXV. I'll leave it at that.

Fou-Lu

There's also the problem that, aside from being all male, the party characters all look very samey.

And some crazy people then excuse that with horseshit like "visual diversity is a JRPG trope".

There characters don't though, just their clothing is similar, and it's not exactly the same either.

This is just an extended version of the old footage...if they show this at E3...basically they have been doing nothing since last E3. I don't believe that can be stupid enough to show this though, can they?

kurahador

This is just an extended version of the old footage...if they show this at E3...basically they have been doing nothing since last E3. I don't believe that can be stupid enough to show this though, can they?

Oh yes they are. It'll be playing during MS conference and claim it's a real-time footage running on X1.

I wouldn't even have known there was any new footage in that unless I had already extensively combed through every moment of the last E3 gameplay trailer and memorised every frame.

EDIT: Which some people here probably HAVE done, given how starved of footage we've been!

Get this action away from my RPG, please.

As for those who are into Action RPGs, how does this game look? I don't really like the genre, but I'm interested in the opinions of those who do.

KoopaTheCasual

Get this action away from my RPG, please.

As for those who are into Action RPGs, how does this game look? I don't really like the genre, but I'm interested in the opinions of those who do.
It looks decently fluid, but again we're only seeing 15 second segments at a time. The biggest thing we need to see to assess combat is the mechanic for switching party members and or remotely dictating party behavior (for instance you can make your ally CPU take on defensive or offensive roles when not in use). Small mechanical things like these can really make or break the game, and give us a good indication to the depth of the game's strategic focus.

Famassu

It may just be that I'm playing Xenoblade currently, but I can definitely see some similarities in battle mechanics (with added presentation on FFXV's part) and how this actually might not be a pure action RPG.
It is a pure action RPG like Kingdom Hearts, but with a bit heavier feel.

So much hate on it being an ARPG. As if FF has ever remained exactly the same in it's history. This is almost like when FFXII was in development - countless warnings about it taking a different approach. And lo, loads of people ignored said warnings and questioned the direction. Suck it up. It's the first time in the main number line to go the action route. If the KH influence is any indication to go by (and it certainly is so far) it will be fun at the bare minimum for most players.

And as others have said, Bravely is what you want to play for old school gameplay.

Top Bottom