• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: Left 4 Dead coming to PS3, Ported by EA

Endless

Official Playstation Magazine: "Valve's survival horror game Left 4 Dead is coming to PS3, but EA will be taking on development duties in-house."

Forsete

Gold Member
When is Vavle gonna step up? Well, hopefully the EA team learned something.

a slightly gimped version is better then no version at all ..

Yep, true.

This game is gonna rox in LAN.

Ploid 3.0

If it does, I'm sure it will be a great port. Orange box is a great port with a few hiccups. Maybe they even learned something from porting Orange box even. I don't know much about this game, but hearing people explain it in that RE5 thread make it sound like it has excellent control, and fast moving zombies. That's always a good thing. Don't know if I'd get it though.

After what happened last time I doubt Valve will let them touch their IP and I imagine Left 4 Dead will be a bit more taxing than HL2.

But then money talks and if Ea offererd them enough money to let them do it..

mr_bishiuk said:
After what happened last time I doubt Valve will let them touch their IP and I imagine Left 4 Dead will be a bit more taxing than HL2.

in an interview lombardi claimed that if EA was interested in doing a port for the ps3 they would have not been against it. they simply don't care of what happens to their games on the ps3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mr_bishiuk said:

I haven't played orange box ps3, but I heard lots of people saying it wasn't as bad a port as was being made out.

One would hope their experience with it would also help them with any future source engine ports.

°°ToMmY°° said:
valve said they don't care about it. in an interview lombardi claimed that if EA was interested in doing a port for the ps3 they would have not been against it. they simply don't care of what happens to their games on the ps3.

Didn't valve put something on their site asking people to tell them what was wrong with the PS3 version? That indicates to me they wanted a file to beat over EA's head.

WickedLaharl said:
is this just a rumor or not? we have conflicting reports in this thread.

Its a rumour, the OP forgot to include the fact it came from the rumour section of OPM in the title

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the phone from EA didn't range yet comments from Doug Lombardi was like in last Feb right ? and since that there were many rumors from our lovely Brian Intihar and other , plus there was EA lineup list ( Jul.11, 2008 ) last month ..

there is smoke alright ..but where is the fire ?

The Innocent X said:
In the OP it says "rumour section"

er, it didn't say that before i clicked on the fucking thread.

i now see since the OP has realized his mistake and has edited. still doesn't change what you see before you clicky tho.

AmMortal

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Doesn't matter does it? Just like TF2, the PC version will be the only one worth playing and getting regular free updates.

This. Seriously, Valve games are the the shit on PC.

But console version are belittleling

dejan

Dot50Cal said:
Mouse and Keyboard support?
:lol

I mean yeah ... technically it's possible, but what do you expect when even Sony's big first party blockbuster fps games don't support mouse & keyboard? What other game besides UT3 does take advantage of PS3's support for mouse & keyboard?

AmMortal said:
This. Seriously, Valve games are the the shit on PC.

But console version are belittleling

Some of us don't have gaming PCs, much less 360s, and this news gives me hope that episode 3 will be ported be EA as well. Orange Box was my only chance for me to play my 2nd favorite series in existence (behind Mario games.)

hauton

reggieandTFE said:
Some of us don't have gaming PCs
You really don't need a gaming PC to run Source.

Anything that's non-integrated is fine. Hell, most modern integrated can handle Source fine.

The Innocent X said:
Is it not speculative port talk if it comes from OPM?
It's only bannable if it derails threads, this has it's own thread.

This is good news, PS3 Orange Box was bashed for all the wrong reasons, it was a decent port not a terrible one. Not that I care anyway, I'm getting the superior version ^^

Ploid 3.0

I'm stuck with a integrated intel graphics chip (Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller). Only PCI slots (not -E), no agp slot, 248mb of ram, 2.53 Mhz intel celeron processor. My pc options are out of luck, and OB would run better on my ps3 I'm sure.

I hope it's true, so that ps3 only folks can play this but if you have a pc that can run Source engine games well then that's the version you need to get.

thuway

If both versions are the same, I'll opt out for the PS3 version. You know, just in case I become broke in the upcoming years and can't afford live.

BeeDog

Haunted One said:
I see pretty much no reason to get this for the PS3 if Valve doesn't make it.

Wouldn't go that far, but anyone with a somewhat recent PC should get the PC version instead. Better graphics, better server management by far, modding capabilities and a lower price.

Johann

EA offered to port it since they have more PS3 experience.

I remember Valve saying somewhere that PC-> 360 porting is easy enough that their PR group alone could churn out a decent port.

I think I'll take the PC version, rather then a EA port. I know they did OK with the Orange Box, but it wasn't great. (I have a PS3 and a new computer - great hardware, but not the greatest)

Haunted

I'm happy people in this thread are generally agreeing on the best version to get. It's rare to see so much positivity towards the PC version of a game on GAF.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
slicedking said:
I thought Valve was just the publisher, no?

L4D is Turtle Rock Studios game, Valve bought them last January and now they are Valve South , so no Valve is the dev too .

Haunted One said:
I see pretty much no reason to get this for the PS3 if Valve doesn't make it.

well even X360 ver is done by another studio ( Certain Affinity ) and not Valve South ( formerly Turtle Rock ) , so you see no reason to get this game on X360 too ?

Top Bottom