• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: Left 4 Dead coming to PS3, Ported by EA

Truespeed

NemesisPrime said:
Indeed. Stop supporting crappy EA ports. Get it on 360 or PC.

EA has essentially ported the Source engine to the PS3. With further optimizations I don't see why further Source based games should be an issue for them. Under Richitello, EA is delivering the quality.

afternoon delight said:
Can someone describe the port issues of EA's Orange Box? I have it
for 360
and haven't heard of the issues.

some longer loading times and frame-rate drops in HL2 episode 2 when the sreen is full of stuff. nothing less, nothing more.

Concept17 said:
This. I've loved my PS3 for FPS so far, but when it comes to the Source engine, you gotta get it for PC.

I gave COD4 a shot on PS3 as well as resistance. While they're both great games, I feel that you just can't top a keyboard and mouse when it comes to FPS especially source engine games. Remember how great counter strike was for xbox, oh thats right.

Negaiido

Timber said:
Yeah that's pretty hilarious. Have anything else to add to that, junior?

Sure, Lets sum up some reasons why ToB PS3 sucked:

- framerate issues
- exploiting bugs( skywalking etc)
- lag( and no I DONT have a bad connection)
- no patches
- no 5.1 sound
- no rumble
- to many loading screens for an next gen console

And people still say that it's not as bad as other people say?
I don't get that.

Zen

Banned
Sweet another good port from EA that will, at worst, have minor hitch when compared to the 360 version! Time for all you people to get primed and call it a crappy port. Can't wait!

*looks at thread*

Same old I guess. Though it's funny that people just call the PS3 version of Orange Box a crap port but aren't ctually able to back that up with anything honestly substantiative. "Oh there's a slight hickup for a second when it's done loading a new area," "Oh 2 minute segment room with water in it had a bad framerate". Aside from that there were never instances were the framerate was actually bad, it stuttered slightly more than the 360 version, but the 360 version was't a god either.

The lag wasn't exclusive to the PS3, and the patches, that you claim don't exist, fixed that issue. Is it the bestest port ever? No. It's entirely competent, however. By no means crap.

Weenerz said:
Like it matters, the PC version will be the best version to get anyway.

Yup. I've played it three times, all on the PC. I wouldn't dream of getting it for the 360, though I'm sure Valve will do a kickass job anyways.

Ploid 3.0

I think I got my pc in 2005. Is there a half life 2 demo I can test my pc with? Rather, what is a good place to download pc demos?

Won

Ploid 3.0 said:
I think I got my pc in 2005. Is there a half life 2 demo I can test my pc with? Rather, what is a good place to download pc demos?

Steam has a demo for HL2 as far as I know. But I don't know what it includes.

Nizz

Truespeed said:
EA has essentially ported the Source engine to the PS3. With further optimizations I don't see why further Source based games should be an issue for them. Under Richitello, EA is delivering the quality.
This is what gives me hope. I have Orange Box for PS3 and while there were some slowdowns, it was for the most part, fine. So having the groundwork laid down with Source on PS3, and some more optimizing, L4D should be fine. And after all the flak EA caught last year with the Orange Box port and Madden not running at 60 last year (which they took care of this year) I'm sure L4D should be fine. And I really want to play this game, it looks hot...

jaaz

I'll get if for PC because I simply can not imagine playing a Valve/Source engine game on anything else. It would feel... wrong somehow.

Azrael

The Orange Box for PS3 isn't that bad. It is laughable though to see a game like Portal pause for a few seconds to load the next area when you can walk around an entire city in Assassin's Creed without seeing a loading screen. PC developers are just plain lazy and spoiled when it comes to streaming from disc.

"PC developers are just plain lazy and spoiled when it comes to streaming from disc."

You'd have such a strong case if Valve actually made the PS3 port.

HolyStar

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
I wouldn't go that far, but it is absolute shit compared to the PC version.

No one uses mics, no stragedy, everyone is either a engineer or a heavy. Not many people play it, etc...

Ploid 3.0

I downloaded, installed, and registered for steam. Then I download/installed? the HL2 demo (3gigs). Now when I try to launch it a error always show up after a while (the kind that asks if I want to report the error). This is before any HL2 splash screen or anything show up. So does that mean I'm not Source compatible? I just wanted to see since so many said it should run on any pc made after 2003.

OP should probably put "RUMOR" somewhere in his statement, anyhow if it does it will be shit, just like the Orange Box....although I would love some cross-platform co-op in this bad boy!

Ploid 3.0

How long did you play Orange box? What didn't you like?:lol

Edit: Stinking steam doesn't have a uninstall tab in the All Programs list. <3 PC -_-;

Pein

Banned
UltimaEnder said:
OP should probably put "RUMOR" somewhere in his statement, anyhow if it does it will be shit, just like the Orange Box....although I would love some cross-platform co-op in this bad boy!
orange box ps3 gets way more hate then it deserves and there probably will never be any cross platform support in a valve game

Ploid 3.0

I enjoyed the PS3 version a lot. Now that you tell me it's terrible I'm so heart broken I was believing a lie my brain told me. Thanks a lot. First Glados, and now you.

The game is a lie. The game is a lie. The game is a lie!

Hitmeneer

Ploid 3.0 said:
How long did you play Orange box? What didn't you like?:lol

Edit: Stinking steam doesn't have a uninstall tab in the All Programs list. <3 PC -_-;

It's hard to find out why HL2 is crashing from a distance. Do you get no error's at all? What are your specs?

You can uninstall steam btw, by going to your configurations ==> Software . There you should be able to uninstall it :) .

Won

Ploid 3.0 said:
I downloaded, installed, and registered for steam. Then I download/installed? the HL2 demo (3gigs). Now when I try to launch it a error always show up after a while (the kind that asks if I want to report the error). This is before any HL2 splash screen or anything show up. So does that mean I'm not Source compatible? I just wanted to see since so many said it should run on any pc made after 2003.

Well you could tell us what the error says or make a screenshot of it. There is also a knowledge base for problems of all kinds.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Haunted One said:
I see pretty much no reason to get this for the PS3 if Valve doesn't make it.
Given how much Valve complains about the prospect of having to port something themselves to the PS3, I wouldn't feel assured by that at all.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Good for PS3 users, I hope for the people playing this on console that the community will be going strong. Is TF2 on console still as it was upon release? (read : shitty)

Pimpbaa said:
No it wasn't. Both console versions were shitty ports.

There's nothing wrong with Orange Box on consoles. I think the confusion that arises with the online community is that no one (at least no one I know) bought the game to play Team Fortress, everyone bought it for the SP and went straight to Halo 3/COD 4 last fall. So it sold millions of copies and it's a ghost-town.

I should probably be ashamed to admit I've never even booted up TF2 on my 360.

Left 4 Dead will be a different beast since the entire point of the game is multiplayer. Nearly everyone who buys it should bolster the online community.

saelz8

Sho_Nuff82 said:
There's nothing wrong with Orange Box on consoles.

I should probably be ashamed to admit I've never even booted up TF2 on my 360.
That's why you think nothing is wrong with Orange Box on consoles.

Feindflug

Pimpbaa said:
No it wasn't. Both console versions were shitty ports.

I've only played the 360 version and I can say that the game is freakin' awesome - the only negative is the crappy version of Team Fortress 2, the other 3 games were great ports. HL2 was beautiful and had all the new effects added in the Ep.2: improved textures, HDR, motion blur and the game run at a smooth frame-rate also the controls were very good and the loading times were decent...how can you call this a shitty port? Have you even played the 360 version?

Anyway I can't wait for L4D, hopefully Certain Affinity & whatever team is handling the PS3 port will do a good job translating the fast, intense gameplay of the game into the consoles without problems.

As long as it's not a crappy port, good. Everyone deserves to play this game.

PC version is still the way to go, though, doodz.

Top Bottom