• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bayonetta info (Platinum Games - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)

Endless

xc583l.jpg

• The names of Bayonetta's guns are Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.Together, they're known as Scarborough Fair.

• Enemies drop weapons, which Bayonetta can pick up and use for a limited time.One of this is a tuba, wich functions as a bazooka.

• When Bayonetta jumps or double-jumps, gossamer butterfly wings temporarily sprout from her back.When she lands, dozens of tiny butterflies appear at her feet.

• Bayonetta's outfit isn't actually leather despite the stitching you see in the CG art - It's magical hair that covers her entire body, and it's used in her attacks.The most powerful ones render her almost completely nude.

• Similar to how Devil May Cry used red orbs, Bayonetta features angel halos as currency, wich you use to power up your weapons, unlock skills, or buy items.

• When Bayonetta fires her guns, the bullets ricochet off walls, causing additional damage to nearby enemies.

• Bayonetta's most powerful attacks summon a giant, smoky dragon or a giant, smoky stiletto heel out of the sky to stomp on her enemies.But again, it's not smoke that surrounds these summons - It's a hair.So, yes, that dragon is a giant, slithering hair dragon, and that stiletto heel is a giant, sexy hair boot.You have to enter specific button commands in order to summon the hair monster, though, adding an element of skill.

• When one of these powerful summons exits the area, it's punctuated by the appearence of purple sparkles.

• Control comes in the form of a shoot button, a punch butto, and a kick button.But you can purchase others, stronger combinations.

• Bayonetta uses "Witch Time" - Bayonetta's sense become especially accute, and the environment (and enemies) around her slows down.

• Sometimes, an onscreens button prompt appears during combats, wich means it's time to mash buttons in order to inflict extra damage on an enemy.Tapping the button fast enough results in over-the-top supermoves - such as guillotinedropping from the sky on your enemy (with predictable results) - called Torture Attacks.

• Bayonneta ahs a spinning jump attack that fires her guns in 360 degrees.She can also perform a handstand and aim the guns on her feet at enemies.

• Bayonneta also wields a katana, but Platinum Games won't reveal the name yet.You can charge this blade for a more powerful attack, which causes a heart to appear on the pommel.The heart beats as you charge it up, and dark fumes billow from the sword.

• More weapons will be added and revealed closer to the game's release.Each weapon has a monster spirit, which makes it stronger, and the context of the combat situation dictates which hairy summon appears.

• Miniboss battle: Angelic foe at the end of Big Little City zone.It's got some huge attacks courtesy of its giant two-handed ax - and this baddie pauses for a dramatic split second with every swing.Luckily, Bayonetta can jump over these attacks with or without Witch Time.Humorously, the giant miniboss has pathetically tiny angel wings, gold piercings, and the requisiet angel's halo.

• A fine mist covers the ground during the miniboss battle, designed to create a "holy atmosphere".The battle ends with an onscreen button prompt, which summons a giant hair dragon who bites the angel miniboss in half.

• The reward for besting this miniboss is a gold record with the descriptor "Angel Singing Voice" but we're not sure whether it unlocks a music track or some other feature.

• Bayonetta has a huge chain and sickle that she uses for both ground-based and airbone attacks.

• The right trigger button on the Xbox 360 controller shoots.Yuo can equip all four guns at once, or you can opt to swap out the pistols in her hands with the sword and use the guns on her feets as well.Certain weapons are specifically designed to be equipped on her hands, feet, or both.

• Bayonetta has been in development stages for a year and half - work started a little after Okami shipped.

• As Bayonetta attacks the enemy angel forces, she breaks of layers of their outer armor.

2wq64ux.jpg

Hunahan

Banned
Endless said:
• The names of Bayonetta's guns are Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.Together, they're known as Scarborough Fair.

:lol my lord that's dumb.

Other than that, sounds awesomely strange.

• A fine mist covers the ground during the miniboss battle, designed to create a "holy atmosphere".The battle ends with an onscreen button prompt, which summons a giant hair dragon who bites the angel miniboss in half.

Awesome. I hope there is enough variety that this doesn't get old each time. If not, it could be a cool scene each time.

zoukka

Sounds cool. DMC-esque but even more over the top and it seems it's pretty humoristic.

Though I hate the idea of the "witch time". Slowing time should be banned from games.

Nolan.

Whats the obsession with hair,? anyway it sounds good so far.

Hunahan said:

I thought combined they'd be called... Tarragun.

colinp

Banned
Hunahan said:

• Bayonetta's outfit isn't actually leather despite the stitching you see in the CG art - It's magical hair that covers her entire body, and it's used in her attacks.The most powerful ones render her almost completely nude.

That's pretty dumb too.

Nolan.

colinp said:

That's pretty dumb too.

Bayonetta's most powerful attacks summon a giant, smoky dragon or a giant, smoky stiletto heel out of the sky to stomp on her enemies.But again, it's not smoke that surrounds these summons - It's a hair.So, yes, that dragon is a giant, slithering hair dragon, and that stiletto heel is a giant, sexy hair boot.You have to enter specific button commands in order to summon the hair monster, though, adding an element of skill.

-_- I can't wait to see what else hair plays a part in.

colinp said:

That's pretty dumb too.

Pretty hot, you mean.

colinp said:

That's pretty dumb too.

if it's kinda tasteful in an FF Shiva nude sort of way, it'd be good
but if it's all 'EY UP THE CAMERA'S GOIN' UP HER SNATCH' kinda thing, then no thanks -_-

Nolan.

BlazingDarkness said:
if it's kinda tasteful in an FF Shiva nude sort of way, it'd be good
but if it's all 'EY UP THE CAMERA'S GOIN' UP HER SNATCH' kinda thing, then no thanks -_-

I hope it isn't the second but I have a feeling it will be pretty close to that, anyway it's Kamiya.

colinp said:

That's pretty dumb too.

but I bet you can't wait to see it yourself. admit it.

anyway, Hair as a weapon is not new, we have Millia from Guilty Gear and those old chinese kung fu film that also have hair as a weapon. this is just the next step after that. with guns

also, am I the only one who think this game will feel more like God Hand than DMC? there are times in DMC where I feel that it's just trying to hard to be cool, while God Hand and if my assumption is correct, Bayonetta as well, won't treat itself very seriously

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Callibretto said:

anyway, Hair as a weapon is not new, we have Millia from Guilty Gear and those old chinese kung fu film that also have hair as a weapon. this is just the next step after that. with guns

The next step? It took a freakin' leap off a skyscraper. :lol

Anyway, I would like to see some gameplay footage.

Callibretto said:

also, am I the only one who think this game will feel more like God Hand than DMC? there are times in DMC where I feel that it's just trying to hard to be cool, while God Hand and if my assumption is correct, Bayonetta as well, won't treat itself very seriously

I'm getting a DMC1/Final Fantasy vibe from this more than anything else.

rance said:
Sounds just like DMC1.

Yeah

rance said:
Sounds just like DMC4.
Im guessing this game is going to be a really free flowing type of action game as opposed to the "stiff" nature of dmc. I love dmc though, the stiffness is what makes it what it is imo, but i think he will go in the other direction with this game. Thats how it sounds anyway, but who knows.

"Bayonetta's outfit isn't actually leather despite the stitching you see in the CG art - It's magical hair that covers her entire body, and it's used in her attacks.The most powerful ones render her almost completely nude."

Awesome.

I'm really looking forward to Bayonetta, NG 2 wasn't as great as it could be, DMC 4 was disappointing so my hope for the action game genre lies with Bayonetta

Endless said:
I love to cook, its a deep passion of mine....so yeah, he just sold me a copy.
:lol

Callibretto said:
anyway, Hair as a weapon is not new, we have Millia from Guilty Gear and those old chinese kung fu film that also have hair as a weapon.

Don't forget:
kabuki.jpg

Bayonetta sounds awesome. I can't ignore a game where you play as a witch and the enemies are angels.

Danj

Endless said:

For those who don't understand this, Wikipedia to the rescue. I must admit though, before I looked it up I could have sworn it was something to do with the Beatles.

Azure J

This all sounds like the guy was on something potent when he was developing it. That or Dreamcast era SEGA ninjas kidnapped him and trained him in the arts of damned loopy but fuck awesome sounding game designs. :lol

So I gues I'm on board to see if this becomes another DMC in terms of impact or just another (decent depending on your taste) action game. Also, tasteful nudity plz? I don't want mom walking in watching me play the game late at night thinking I'm slapping the monkey with the controller. :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
as a huge dmc3 fan, this sounds like the game dmc4 should have been. i dont know what it was, but fighting with dante wasnt half as fun in 4 as it was in 3 (on a side note, nero was surprisingly fun to play as, although in a completely different way than dmc3-dante).

platinum games is super high up on my radar and i wish them the best of luck

Mamesj

Banned
sounds like it has a lot of goofy japanese humor™ but it's gonna kick ass.

I'm sure all the people who I was arguing with about story in action games yesterday will be thrilled :lol

anyway, we now know the reason why japanese girls don't shave.

Top Bottom