• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad and sister of mine think that the cure for cancer exists but is hidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
So title explains it all. They believe that there's a vaccine kept secret by the government for cancer. It started one day when I was sitting in the family car with my dad wondering what the world be like if there was a cure for cancer found. He blurted out that maybe there is a cure and that the government is keeping it a secret to all but the highest bidder. I didn't say anything afterwards because I didn't want to have a two hour conversation on why I thought that that was bullshit.

The discussion comes up again weeks later (a day ago) when I told him how it could be improbable for there to be a cure for cancer. He tries to explain, I hear enough for about a minute and walk away. Then he criticizes me saying that I live in a fantasy world and when I try to rebut him he interrupts me at every turn claiming he wasn't done with his sentence. I storm off again.

Just now, I ask if my sister really believes what my dad has been saying. She tells me about how the polio vaccine has been kept on the down low back in the 1950s and reasons that the government could be doing the same now with a vaccine for cancer. I'll leave it at that. Let's just say that words were said in anger from my mouth and I couldn't believe what my sister and my dad has been saying for one second.

What say you, GAF? Think they have a clue or are they fucking idiots?

My grandfather thought the same. He didn't trust doctors and didn't go see one when he was in pain. He died of colon cancer.

Raist

Banned
So title explains it all. They believe that there's a vaccine kept secret by the government for cancer. It started one day when I was sitting in the family car with my dad wondering what the world be like if there was a cure for cancer found. He blurted out that maybe there is a cure and that the government is keeping it a secret to all but the highest bidder. I didn't say anything afterwards because I didn't want to have a two hour conversation on why I thought that that was bullshit.

The discussion comes up again weeks later (a day ago) when I told him how it could be improbable for there to be a cure for cancer. He tries to explain, I hear enough for about a minute and walk away. Then he criticizes me saying that I live in a fantasy world and when I try to rebut him he interrupts me at every turn claiming he wasn't done with his sentence. I storm off again.

Just now, I ask if my sister really believes what my dad has been saying. She tells me about how the polio vaccine has been kept on the down low back in the 1950s and reasons that the government could be doing the same now with a vaccine for cancer. I'll leave it at that. Let's just say that words were said in anger from my mouth and I couldn't believe what my sister and my dad has been saying for one second.

What say you, GAF? Think they have a clue or are they fucking idiots?

With all due respect, #2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think your dad knows what cancer is so...

Aiii

So not worth it
There are so many people looking for "the cure" for cancer (hint 1: There's no such thing as the cure, many different forms of cancer, many different potential cures for all of them), that if you were to find "the cure" chances are someone somewhere else is very close to finding the same one as well. Even if you kept it hidden, someone else would eventually find it.

Thing is, finding a cure for a disease this many people have and having the patent to it means billions of dollars headed your way for years and years and years. No company is gonna just sit on that kind of money.

If the world's elite and powerful had a secret cancer cure, the multi-billionaire Koch brothers would not have responded to one of their family developing cancer by dumping millions into cancer research. They could have cured it in private without anyone noticing.

Your family knows nothing about cancer.

Daeda

Companies that have financial befit from not selling a medicine for any given disease (for instance because it would be so cheap to produce an effective, slashing profits).. It wouldnt surprise me if at some point in the future they decide to hold it back, although I doubt they have such a medicine..

But why blame the government? Last time I checked, the government doesnt actually produce medicine. I never understand why people are sceptical about governments when its companies they should fear, but alas.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but it's the second option.
Hey, I just yelled in a whisper at my sister (because it's really late) ranting about how both of them are fucking morons and that they know next to nothing about medicine. That was minutes before I started this thread.

danm999

Before even getting to the government conspiracy portions of the beliefs here; do your father and sister not understand cancer is not a single affliction or disease with a single cause or cure, but is rather a broad grouping of afflictions that can attack or occur in several places in the body?

But yeah; the idea that the guvment is keeping it secret is all kinds of silly.

LQX

Seeing as how there is an industry in this country that would rather thousands die than get free or cheap medicine gives credence to the possibility...or not considering their are many other countries that do provide cheap and or free medicine to their citizens. And that alone makes me think that if there was cure for cancer, aids, etc. that those countries would not hide it.

squidyj

the government is holding it hostage? cmon now, wouldn't you want that shit out there?

Democrats: The Party that cured Cancer!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The top bidder would have to pay a metric fuckton of money to negate all the Americans without insurance paying for individual treatments. Unrealistic.

Aaron

They should probably just read wikipedia on what cancer actually is. They're obviously mistaken about that, and I don't blame them with how the media lazily portrays this catch all condition for a lot of very specific mutations.

Cyan

Banned
I remember back before the last Harry Potter book came out, a family friend insisted to me that all the books had been finished years before but doled out slowly over time to keep hype high and maximize profits.

Sometimes people you like believe weird shit. You can argue with them about it, or you can let it slide. Given how poorly it sounds like the argument went, I'd let it slide. Remember that this is less about who's right and more about not getting into shouting matches about shit that's ultimately pretty trivial.

There is a cure but it's held by....the Crab People!
CrabPeople.png

Sandfox

I remember back before the last Harry Potter book came out, a family friend insisted to me that all the books had been finished years before but doled out slowly over time to keep hype high and maximize profits.

Sometimes people you like believe weird shit. You can argue with them about it, or you can let it slide. Given how poorly it sounds like the argument went, I'd let it slide. Remember that this is less about who's right and more about not getting into shouting matches about shit that's ultimately pretty trivial.

How hilarious would it be if that was true and the same thing was happening with A Song of Ice and Fire?

PsychBat!

Banned

It's more about me not getting a word in edgewise as well. I try to give them my reasons and explanations, both of them interrupt me and finish their sentences while I'm either dismissed or ignored. I just blow up because these kinds of debates/discussions happen consistently and it ends up how I explained. I try to let it slide but there's really so much rudeness I can take.

EndGame82

Banned
We have been conditioned to devolop a general distrust of corporations and our government. Their belief is simply a product of that.

Famassu

One must ask, is there a possibility they could be right?
No. Cancer isn't a bacteria or a virus. It's not something you can be immune to. Also, the munniehs that the government or the company who came up with something like that would get, if it was possible (it's not), would be insane, so there is not a single person in the world who'd want to keep it a secret in front of those kinds of profits.

nubbe

How hilarious would it be if that was true and the same thing was happening with A Song of Ice and Fire?

Holding back the book for A Song of Ice and Fire was pretty successful since they got a great show on HBO

and will continue to stall indefinitely for endless filler episodes
$£€$£€$£€

I wouldn't be surprised with all the other dodgy shit the governments get up to.

However with the amount of money they could also make from it, I'm sure they'd want it out there asap.

Liseda

My mother is basically the same, I've stopped "arguing" with her about it.
I love my mom but god it's so frustrating sometimes when she blurts it out.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
It's absurd to think that a govt or pharmaceutical company would keep this hidden as they would not only be in the history books, win all kids of awards, but profit from a cure.

I've said this before, but cancer is an umbrella term for multiple diseases. Sometimes is best just to walk away from these arguments and preserve whatever friendship or family bond there is.

10 persistent cancer myths debunked

boiled goose

good with gravy
I do research that is cancer related and your relatives have no idea what they are talking about.

Cancer is not s single disease each cancer is a personalized disease. When an identifiable mutation exists, such as for some versions of child hood leukemia, guess what, we have cures!

Cancer is fundamentally tough. It is your own body fucking up. Treating cancer before killing you is basically chemo and radiation therapy. You are also fighting biological selection. Treatment might make thingd worse in some cases.

It is complex. Ask them to do some research. If a solution existed, someone would be making a lot of money off of it.

Nephtis

Cancer is a DNA mutation

You can't kill it off like a virus...

Except a virus isn't really alive either :p but I'm just splittin' hairs haha

Cancer is fundamentally tough. It is your own body fucking up. Treating cancer before killing you is basically chemo and radiation therapy. You are also fighting biological selection. Treatment might make things worse in some cases.

Pretty much. The worst thing about chemo and radiation is that it kills both the cancerous and healthy cells. That's why your body ends up having about as much of an immune system as a patient with AIDS.

Often times, a secondary infection will kill you instead of the cancer. You have a fight on all fronts.

It is complex. Ask them to do some research. If a solution existed, someone would be making a lot of money off of it.

Yep. A lot of us in cancer research are also personally motivated to finding a 'cure'. Many of us have lost someone or know of people that have battled cancer and survived. Research companies kind of bank in on this motivation to find a cure. It would be a win for the person that finds it because, damn, it would be awesome to be the one whose name is attached to the 'cure'. It's also a win for the company because they will be making 1000x more money than they've ever invested in research over their lifetime.

OP, just show this comic to your relatives and ask for their opinion again once they've read it and reflected on it:

phd042009s.gif

Considering that some have argued that diseases such as cancer are an effective method of "much needed" population control, it wouldn't surprise me to know that others hold a similar view, although be it a disapproving one.

jwk94

Isn't that true though? Coulda sworn she finished em pretty early.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Considering that some have argued that diseases such as cancer are an effective method of "much needed" population control, it wouldn't surprise me to know that others hold a similar view, although be it a disapproving one.

A more interesting conspiracy would be the government or corporations adding carcinogens to drinking water.

Yes I know multiple people who think this. Considering how common cancer is though, there's no way the people in this conspiracy aren't personally affected by it. And if they're giving the cure to their friends and family, the word is going to get out. Cancer is not so simple as to have a single cure, some herb or pill that would just reverse it all.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yes I know multiple people who think this. Considering how common cancer is though, there's no way the people in this conspiracy aren't personally affected by it. And if they're giving the cure to their friends and family, the word is going to get out.

Exactly. Illogical people can't even follow the implications of their delusions.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
One of my coworkers is big on this. He also believes in chemtrails and all that illuminati stuff. I don't tell him what an idiot he is, because he's also my dealer.

There's only one real illuminati.

#FuckNamor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom