• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad and sister of mine think that the cure for cancer exists but is hidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

patapuf

True. Why heal people for cheap, if you can milk them for months with fucking chemo therapy...

Why would anyone believe that there's a "wonder pill" that is cheap and heals quickly?

there will never be a one size fits all solution to cancer because cancer isn't a singular disease.

It's very, very unlikely that there is a quick therapy because of the Nature of what cancer is. It's not like you can just find some kind of antibody.

and also, why in the world would a pharma company that holds the patent sell it cheaply when they can charge huge amounts of money for it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't know if this has been common knowledge for all time or if it's already been posted, but not long ago I read an article basically theorizing that cancer is pretty much as old as multicellular life on Earth. Apparently, genes that cause cancer (or make people more susceptible to cancer) existed in lifeforms that lived billions of years ago.

If cancer truly is something intrinsic to all multicellular life, that makes it sound like it'll never be completely cured.

If we had the methods to stop mutations from happening in our DNA or make it so that it repairs itself perfectly every time, we'd effectively be able to stop the aging process, along with halting cancer at it's source.
There are people out there that genuinely believe this to be the generation of people that will live forever because of it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124115795]My girlfriend doesn't know who R2-D2 is. Which science fiction madness is worse?[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend doesn't know that either! D:

Your dad and sister obviously have no idea how cancer works. There will never be a difficult single cure for cancer, as it is incredibly varied.

Some people can't cope with the idea that there's a disease that kills millions(?) every year and that there's no real cure for it despite millions of man hours and billions of dollars being poured into researching a cure.

Same thing for the Illuminati: The world isn't fucked up because humans are fucked up beings. It must be that secret evil cabal of elites that are killing people and creating wars.

The Foul

OP imo your family is half right. I believe firmly that they're things that can be done to drastically increase ones chance of cancer survival, at cost. Not in a "gubment holding out" miracle drug way, more like expensive frequent blood transfusions, intravenous liquid meals, constant therapy kind of way. If you can afford it, you'll hear about it, however there is no miracle cure for anyone.

That's the saddest part really, you always hear about miracle cures as if they exist and for sale only to the elite. This is so backwards it hurts. Reality is, prevention is the only cure at this stage, available to rich/poor/young/old, that's where the government is truly letting their people down. Allowing known cancer producing products that unquestionably kill to be sold and taxed puts dollars in coffers at human cost. Blood is definitely on their hands, OP's family is misguided but not far off.

RedSwirl

If we had the methods to stop mutations from happening in our DNA or make it so that it repairs itself perfectly every time, we'd effectively be able to stop the aging process, along with halting cancer at it's source.
There are people out there that genuinely believe this to be the generation of people that will live forever because of it.

Wouldn't that fuck up the process of evolution (which is still happening) though? I guess realistically you'd have to stop the mutation process after reproduction.

But yes I've heard the theories that "the first person who will live to be 1000 years old is already 60." Honestly, if you could do that, I feel like you'd have to drop the birthrate for such a population to near zero so as to avoid overpopulation.

andthebeatgoeson

Would we want that? What some call horrible mutations, others see as life saving. Mutations got us here and may end up helping us in other ways.

M3d10n

Wouldn't that fuck up the process of evolution (which is still happening) though? I guess realistically you'd have to stop the mutation process after reproduction.

But yes I've heard the theories that "the first person who will live to be 1000 years old is already 60." Honestly, if you could do that, I feel like you'd have to drop the birthrate for such a population to near zero so as to avoid overpopulation.

Mutations in individual cells after you were born do nothing to contribute towards evolution, except perhaps by killing you and removing your cancer-prone genes from the gene pool.

But immortality would really turn the world upside down, for sure.

Orayn

Some people can't cope with the idea that there's a disease that kills millions(?) every year and that there's no real cure for it despite millions of man hours and billions of dollars being poured into researching a cure.

Same thing for the Illuminati: The world isn't fucked up because humans are fucked up beings. It must be that secret evil cabal of elites that are killing people and creating wars.

It's a very influential narrative: People believe that a great and powerful problem has to be the work of great and powerful evil plan, because they're uncomfortable with the idea that we live in a chaotic, indifferent universe where terrible things can happen for "unsatisfying" reasons or no reason at all.

andthebeatgoeson

Mutations in individual cells after you were born do nothing to contribute towards evolution, except perhaps by killing you and removing your cancer-prone genes from the gene pool.

But immortality would really turn the world upside down, for sure.

Mutations don't happen in a vaccum. It's hard to say when they actually happen. I would say some beneficial mutations happen after you are born.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Part of me thinks that the FDA and other government agencies put a stop to certain drugs that could be beneficial in curing cancer/diseases in some people. Plus not allowing them to further advance in testing that could produce a cure. Or not allowing drugs that are available in certain countries into the US.

Stuff like what was seen in Dallas Buyers Club.

I don't think their is a "cure" though that is being held for the highest bidder, that is a bit out there....Plus cancer is a DNA mutation as mentioned.
The drug pipeline is massively complex and expensive. The FDA doesn't hold up drugs out of spite or some kind of complicity, but thousands of drugs that have the potential to help some people never see the light of day because they can't make it through the process. That's the price you pay for having relatively safe drugs on the market with proven efficacy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There are so many people looking for "the cure" for cancer (hint 1: There's no such thing as the cure, many different forms of cancer, many different potential cures for all of them), that if you were to find "the cure" chances are someone somewhere else is very close to finding the same one as well. Even if you kept it hidden, someone else would eventually find it.

Thing is, finding a cure for a disease this many people have and having the patent to it means billions of dollars headed your way for years and years and years. No company is gonna just sit on that kind of money.

One of my friends says they are withholding it to make billions and billions of dollars off of treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom