• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Speed Stage Gameplay

More important to note is that they are pretty close to hitting the stretch goal of adding three more playable characters to the game via post-Kickstarter pledges.

bon

More important to note is that they are pretty close to hitting the stretch goal of adding three more playable characters to the game via post-Kickstarter pledges.

That's awesome. Seems like this game is going to have a pretty hefty amount of content.

Giolon

Last delay gave it a late Summer release. They have not shown the game since E3. I'm guessing it's nearing completion.

I don't understand what's taking them so long. :(

That's awesome. Seems like this game is going to have a pretty hefty amount of content.

image.php

I approve of your choice of avatar.

Syril

I'm still not sure why they restricted the voting to $60+. I hope they at least keep showing the designs in question like they did this time though.

Jawmuncher

I kick started this.

Haven't beaten any of the Shantae games.
He'll never played more than 10 minutes of both even though I own them. I need to get on that.

I don't understand what's taking them so long.

Pirate's Curse, like the other Shantaes, is something they're making on their own with no publisher or Kickstarter money. They have to prioritize the games they're actually getting paid to make. It sucks, but if they're getting paid to make Duck Tales and Adventure Time games, that's what they have to do.

That looks okay, it's not final so I don't think I should complain.

I can't wait for more Shantae, I'm more excited about the Pirate's Curse but this one looks great.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That looks okay, it's not final so I don't think I should complain.

I can't wait for more Shantae, I'm more excited about the 3DS game but this one looks great.
The 3DS game is also now coming to WiiU.
and I should think it worrying if you were more hyped for a game thats still in alpha over one thats nearly complete :p

ChipotIe

Banned
It's a little jarring watching the background move at a much higher framerate than her own animations but overall it looks pretty damn slick.

Also I'm glad footate like this is out to quell all of the cries of white washing during the time they were just testing out their lighting engine.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I didn't know that! Now I have to choose where to pick it up.

Fair enough, they announced it at E3. The Wii U version uses HD art for character portraits, menus, etc but the game itself uses the pixel graphics from the 3DS version, they're not redrawing everything like they did for Mighty Switch Force.

Footage looks nice indeed. Work in progress of course.

I wonder if it's okay to add this to the big Shantae kickstarter topic.
It would bump a topic that hasn't been posted in for two months ,but having seperate topics for any small update might end up being a pain.

Might as well add the entire update. It's more than footage afterall.

Update #56 Aug 13 2014
Gameplay Footage, Stretch Goals, and Voting!!!

Helloooooooooo Shantaerians and Tinkerbackers!

How would you guys like to see some in-progress game footage? Nah, we didn't think so...

Psych! Today we’ve got some “off-the-glass” footage of our speed stage, also known as the the “Sequins of Unfortunate Events” chapter of the game. This level is making great headway!

And remember our airship concepts from before? Now they’re modeled out, in-game, and looking dashing! Shantae’s able to leap from carpet to carpet, take on the Ammo Baron’s airships, and disable them from the inside! Check it out!

Have you guys been watching our funding total?! We've nearly hit THE NEXT STRETCH GOAL!! O.O This means we’re almost certain to add a playable Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops to the game, each with its own style of play!

If you were with us on day one, you’ll remember that our base proposal spanned 3 Chapters, an Intro & Outro, and 1 playable feisty Half-Genie. However with all of your amazing help we hit several Stretch Goals which brought the number of Chapters to 5 and added 3 alternate Shantae characters and a playable Risky. Adding in the exclusive backer content, and now HERO MODE, that's 10 crazy costumes and characters to play! To say the game has doubled in scope is an understatement!

However...with an increased scope comes an increase in development time. We’re going to need to adjust our schedule to allow for all of the added content. We’ll do our very best to keep you up to date with the most realistic Beta and Ship dates possible, but first we need to determine the impact this change in game scope will have on the project. So please accept our apologies in advance – an October 2014 launch is very unlikely at this point. But yep, this is the uncertain process of making games. Dates must slip when quality and scope cannot. We’re all working together to build the biggest, best game possible – and it just got even bigger.

Part 2 of update

But let’s talk about these new heroes! Our current thinking is that by beating the game once as Shantae, the other characters will become available from a Character Select Menu. These characters are:

1. Shantae -Normal Costume: Belly Dance to transform into creatures with new abilities.
2. Shantae - Beach Day Costume: greatly reduced defense, summer props & sunbathing aid.
3. Shantae - Ninja Costume: additional speed, agility, and magic at the cost of defense.
4. Shantae - Patricia Wagon Costume: ranged Pellet Gun attacks and increased armor (Heart Discs restore health)
5. Shantae - Blue Costume: plays the same, looks totally swank.
6. Risky Boots - Normal Costume: Blueprints let her Slice, grapple, fire a pistol or cannon, and command Tinkerbats.
7. Risky Boots - Classic Costume: plays the same, looks more game boy color...ish
8. Sky - Boost using birds, collect and hatch eggs to gain new powers!
9. Bolo - Charge and release steel ball ‘n chain attacks. Grapple, smash, and take punches like a champ!
10. Rottytops - Gameplay based on (ick) feeding, (yuck) self-dismemberment, and maybe a little cosplay!

Remember that each of these characters requires thousands of hand-drawn frames! And each character will have his/her own storyline and reason for partaking in this grand adventure. Can this get any more nuts!?

Yes it can!

Now that our revamped WayForward.com is up and running, we’re ready to do some voting! Creature Transformations are the big ticket item here, but we’re going to do a trial run using a minor enemy first, just to work any kinks out. If you’ve played previous Shantae games you might recognize this archer. She lurks around forests, cliff sides, and other tall advantageous perches to take cheap shots at our hero. But WHAT SHOULD SHE WEAR? We’re pretty into all of these designs, so let’s test our voting process right now! Vote on outfit A, B, or C and we’ll animate it and put ‘er in game. Deadline is in one week, ending 8/19/14 at 16:05 PDT.

Remember, to vote you must be a Contributor level backer ($60 Reward Tier) or higher. If you are, simply go to WayForward.com and login to your account. Select WayForums and click on the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter Contributer+ Board.

Once inside find the "Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Vote #1: Archer" topic and you will have 3 options to choose from. Click the box next to your favorite and that's it! Don't worry if you make a mistake or change your mind, you can alter your choice up until the vote is closed (there is a 5 minute cool down between submitting your selection).

pastrami

I'm just going to mention that the game is also coming to the XBox 360, XBox One, PS3, PS4, PS Vita and Steam, as well as the already mentioned 3DS and Wii U.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm just going to mention that the game is also coming to the XBox 360, XBox One, PS3, PS4, PS Vita and Steam, as well as the already mentioned 3DS and Wii U.

This game isn't coming to 3DS.

When people talked about 3DS/Wii U it was in reference to Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, a separate game that started development long before the kickstarter for Half-Genie Hero, hence peoples' impatience.

ArjanN

Yeah, it's pretty neat that they've actually come quite close now though slacker backers/people upping their pledge over time.

Current vote results:
Archer A 304 (30.4%)
Archer B 358 (35.8%)
Archer C 338 (33.8%)
Total: 1000 Votes

It's pretty close. All votes must be in, and all votes are final as of 08.19.14 16:05 PDT

For people that voted. An update:

"Update #57 Aug 16 2014: Voting Issues

Hi everyone!

We've found an error with the voting plug-in! Many of your votes have been counted multiple times. That's no good. Since this was a trial run in the first place, we're going to reset the voting, and make lemonade by adding a fourth option -- by popular request!

This time there will be no option to change your mind. So please make sure you’re 100% certain of your choice before submitting. The new vote will be from 08/15/14 17:06 PDT to 08/22/14 17:06 PDT. All votes must be in by this time! Thanks again for your assistance and for being patient with us while we test our voting system!

Jobbs

Banned
I got this voting reminder and came here to post this.

halfgenievote.jpg

I like wayforward and I like shantae (loved playing RR on my 3DS) -- but I found this vote a bit silly and patronizing. More or less, which color bikini top do you like? No substantive choices about outfit or hair or anything else.

Top Bottom