• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese vs. Western Developers attitudes towards Handhelds

Jubenhimer

There have been many handheld game systems released over the years, many of the most popular come from a company known for making all those Itallian plumber games. Each of these systems are beloved in their own right, but one thing you may notice about them is how Japanese developers create games for portable systems, vs. how western developers approach them.

Western publishers have always tended to view handheld gaming as kind of a novelty compared to consoles. When it comes to the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Activision, THQ, etc. All their big boy teams focus on these big high quality console experiences, whereas whenever they want to make a handheld game, it usually consists of taking one of their popular console IPs, hiring some scrappy, underpaid studio from out in the middle of nowhere, and asking them to make a handheld version of that brand. Either that, or take the easy route and fart out some licensed kids game shit and call it a day.

That's not to say Western games on handhelds was always bad necessarily. The Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS for example, both actually had pretty good western support when you think about it. The GBA got really good versions of all the Tony Hawk games that generation, plus a port of Max Payne of all things. Along with stuff like Duke Nukem Advance, ports of old school SNES and Genesis titles like Earthworm Jim, and side-scrolling versions of console games like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

And the DS got bespoke versions of all the Call of Duty games that generation on it, plus three Guitar Hero spin-offs, a really good Gran Theft Auto game, and some suprisingly decent versions of series like Need For Speed and Skate, and both systems got most of the yearly sports game franchises at the time. But these were all based on well established console brands, big name IPs that were thrown on to these systems because of their popularity.

While these may have all been decent games, they all looked pretty silly compared to what Japanese developers were doing on Handhelds. Japanese companies would very often create exclusive experiences that were unique to that system. Companies like Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, and Bandai Namco would often have their top AAA teams working on Handheld titles, in addition to console experiences.

I think the best comparison to illustrate this disparity is to compare Call of Duty: World at War from Activision, to The World Ends with You from Square Enix, both games on the Nintendo DS that released the same year in North America. CoD WoW on DS is a far cry from its console counterpart, but for a DS shooter, it's suprisingly pretty cool. The touch screen acts as a sort of mouse, where you aim with the stylus, and move with the D-Pad with various gameplay actions mapped to buttons on the touch screen. It's a very effective setup that even allows for very precise aiming. Then again, the DS is no Xbox 360, so all those bombastic set-pieces from the console games are non-existant in the DS version. The game also has some framerate problems, and due to hardware limitations, the levels sometimes feel like a shooting gallery.

A decent game, but its also one that feels like its just ridding off the brand recognition of a popular console IP. The World Ends with You meanwhile, was an ambitious, original IP created from the ground up for the DS, by the same team behind Kingdom Hearts no less. It's an RPG that utilizes the DS' touch screen and dual screen features to create a stylish and completely unique RPG that even to this day, has nothing else quite like it. And because it's a game specifically made for the DS, it was built to play to the strengths of the hardware graphics wise, so the game looks visually stunning with its highly detailed sprite-work.

So you see the stark contrast at the time, Western companies would often just try to just shrink console brands onto handhelds, while Japanese developers would create games and IP specifically for them. So when some people say western support for handhelds kinda suck, it's more that the kind of support western devs gave handhelds often looked rather lame in comparison to Japanese support.

However, there's one thing handhelds did shine with in regards to western games, and that's providing an outlet for smaller and less experienced studios. Yeah, before the mass proliferation of indies, handhelds were often good platforms for smaller, independent studios in the west. Wayforward, Fifth Cell, Rennegade Kid, Ready at Dawn, these are all teams that got their start making handheld games. Handhelds were often easier to develop for and less powerful compared to home consoles, which made them a good platform for small studios wanting to get into game development. A lot of the best western made games on handhelds were from these kinds of smaller, more niche studios. Dementium: The Ward, Scribblenauts, Drawn to Life, Shantae.

I guess the more things change, the more things stay the same even with the Nintendo Switch, which has the most support from western devs of any Nintendo handheld yet, still sees much of its western 3rd party support consist of indie games, remasters of PS360 titles, and "impossible ports" of PS4/XBO games, which often arrive much later and are handled by small specialized porting studios like Panic Button. Meanwhile Japanese developers like Capcom and Square Enix, are the ones making big exclusives for it such as Monster Hunter Rise or Octopath Traveler.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I might have agreed with you 10-15 years ago, but now? Hogwarts Legacy on the Switch says hello. Handhelds are consoles now.

Also, if we're talking about the DS era, what about stuff like Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (Ubisoft)? Or how Sega pumped out endless Sonic trash?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah, this is a post that was very much true back in the GBA and DS days.

These days dedicated handhelds are gone, and with it, so are those unique handheld games tailored to their strengths. Switch plays console games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thats easy, majority of western devs want their games have "high tech graphics".

Its VERY rare for western devs make exclusive game for Switch....this was also the case with DS, PSP, and PSVita. In fact I would the reason why Sony give up on handheld systems because this gen 90% of their first party devs are are western.

Jubenhimer

These days dedicated handhelds are gone, and with it, so are those unique handheld games tailored to their strengths. Switch plays console games.
I think the "impossible ports" that pop up on Switch have replaced those bespoke "demakes" on previous Nintendo handhelds. The GBA and DS were both from an era where game systems each had unique architecture from each other, and back then it was easy to create special adaptations from scratch. But the 3DS showed the limits of this approach when development costs began to rise and multi-platform development became more standard. That, combined with its mediocre sales in the west meant most western devs didn't bother with it. The Switch fixes that by adopting standard mobile hardware and PC-like development tools, which allows for more direct ports of console titles.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Thats easy, majority of western devs want their games have "high tech graphics".

Its VERY rare for western devs make exclusive game for Switch....this was also the case with DS, PSP, and PSVita. In fact I would the reason why Sony give up on handheld systems because this gen 90% of their first party devs are are western.
Steam Deck says hello

Guilty_AI

Steam Deck plays games thats already available on PC. its very rare for western devs to make exclusive handheld game or even Switch which hybrid with console/handheld.
Many of these PC games - made by western devs most of the time - target mid-low spec in the first place. Switch ports are often asked way before console ports as a matter of fact, with many of the ones listed there having one.

Traditionally you want to put your game in as many platforms as possible (though many JP devs seem oblivious to this rule for some reason), that includes the Switch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Many of these PC games - made by western devs most of the time - target mid-low spec in the first place. Switch ports are often asked way before console ports as a matter of fact, with many of the ones listed there having one.

Traditionally you want to put your game in as many platforms as possible (though many JP devs seem oblivious to this rule for some reason), that includes the Switch.
Despite of Switch selling well, how many exclusive western games we saw on Switch? Not many, the only I can remember is Mario + Rabbits games.

Big devs like Capcom and Square Enix are willing to make exclusive games for handheld systems even with their biggest IP but not so much with western devs…..they were some especially at beginning of PSVita life cycle.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Well, condidering how much I love me my handhelds, it goes without saying I FAR prefer eastern video game design to the west's.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Despite of Switch selling well, how many exclusive western games we saw on Switch? Not many, the only I can remember is Mario + Rabbits games.
As i said, you want your game in as many platforms as possible. If it runs on the switch, it'll run on other platforms, no reason for a 3rd party publishers to limit themselves to the Switch.

Big devs like Capcom and Square Enix are willing make exclusive games for handheld systems even with their biggest IP but not so much with western devs…..they are some especially at beginning of PSVita life cycle.
Those aren't exclusive either. Octopath 1&2 and Monster Hunter Rise are both on PC (and home consoles as well in fact).

Last edited:

Danjin44

Those aren't exclusive either. Octopath 1&2 and Monster Hunter Rise are both on PC.
Not at the beginning and it was very clear MH Rise was made with Switch in mind, my point is big publisher like Capcom and Square willing to make game exclusive on Switch and they also made tones exclusive games on DS, PSP and 3DS.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I might have agreed with you 10-15 years ago, but now? Hogwarts Legacy on the Switch says hello. Handhelds are consoles now.

Also, if we're talking about the DS era, what about stuff like Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (Ubisoft)? Or how Sega pumped out endless Sonic trash?
Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

Synless

Not surprising at all. All of my friends but a couple played exclusively console or PC. I always loved handheld gaming.

My friends missed out on so many damn good games because the screen was “small”.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Big devs like Capcom and Square Enix are willing to make exclusive games for handheld systems even with their biggest IP but not so much with western devs…..they were some especially at beginning of PSVita life cycle.

Are they really so willing when the majority of their games skip the Switch entirely?

They threw Nintendo a couple bones and that’s it.

Guilty_AI

Not at the beginning and it was very clear MH Rise was made with Switch in mind, my point is big publisher like Capcom and Square willing to make game exclusive on Switch and they also made tones exclusive games on DS, PSP and 3DS.
They both already had PC versions in the works when they came out that released a few months later, they clearly had no plans to remain Switch exclusives.

It used to be different during the DS/PSP days, but nowadays a portable console is just a low-spec PC/console, no need for the development to be exclusive to it. Especially when tones of similar games are also highly popular on PC - titles that also happen to get Switch versions later on or simultaneously, like DUSK, Risk of Rain 2, Factorio, Hollow Knight, Hades, etc.

Last edited:

Danjin44

They both already had PC versions in the works when they came out that released a few months later, they clearly had no plans to remain Switch exclusives.

It used to be different during the DS/PSP days, but nowadays a portable console is just a low-spec PC/console, no need for the development to be exclusive to it. Especially when tones of similar games are also highly popular on PC.
I admit PC gaming has become much bigger in Japanese market, even some Japanese game skipping on Xbox but still come out on PC like Grandblue Fantasy Relink.

But my point in original post was Japanese devs much more willing to make games on Switch even tho later on release it on PC. For example will we ever see Activision or EA release game release game with Switch or handheld in mind like Capcom did with MHRise and Resident Evil Revelations?

Because most of Western devs will always go for realistic looking games which requires more powerful systems.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Are they really so willing when the majority of their games skip the Switch entirely?

You are right that lot of them dont come out on Switch, its reason why I also have PS5 but they still do release AA games like Octopath, Triangle Strategy and MHRise on Switch...which most western dont even do that much for Switch.

Guilty_AI

I admit PC gaming has become much bigger in Japanese market, even some Japanese game skipping on Xbox but still come out on PC like Grandblue Fantasy Relink.

But my point in original post was Japanese devs much more willing to make games on Switch even tho later on release it on PC. For example will we ever see Activision or EA release game release game with Switch or handheld in mind like Capcom did with MHRise and Resident Evil Revelations?

Because most of Western devs will always go for realistic looking games which requires more powerful systems.
And my point is that most AA/indie titles can have a Switch version no prob. Many western devs of these types of games end up releasing them on the Switch simultaneously or later on anyway.

The reason you may see major JP devs willing to make big IPs for the Switch is simply because its a highly popular console in japan. These same companies are also very much willing to make Mobile games out of those as well - even major western companies in fact, as mobile is popular pretty much anywhere.

This idea most western devs are obsessed with realistic graphics just isn't true at all, what most major corps do is just do a checklist of things they believe will garner them more revenue. Pretty graphics can be one of those things, but they'll gladly waver that way if it means getting an alternative way thats more cost-effective.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

To be fair, it's only their big AAA games that skip the Switch. Plenty of their remasters and AA titles still release for it.

Danjin44

This idea most western devs are obsessed with realistic graphics just isn't true at all, what most major corps do is just do a checklist of things they believe will garner them more revenue. Pretty graphics can be one of those things, but they'll gladly waver that way if it means getting an alternative way thats more cost-effective.
Come one 90% of western devs always go for more realistic graphics, You cant tell me majority of western devs dont have more preference towards realistic visuals.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Portability is the status quo in Japan. In the West, despite great sales of the Switch, home console is still the norm.

Guilty_AI

Come one 90% of western devs always go for more realistic graphics, You cant tell me majority of western devs dont have more preference towards realistic visuals.
Just look at some of western releases from this year:
Hi-Fi Rush
Blasphemous 2
Dredge
WORLD OF HORROR
HROT
Amnesia: The Bunker
System Shock Remake
Turbo Overkill
Trepang2
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Baldurs Gate 3
The Talos Principle 2

They may look good due to great art direction, but they aren't necessarely trying to push boundaries or anything. None of them are necessarely trying to look realistic either, going for an specific aesthetic.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Sure sure, i forget these details. What about all the other 11 games i listed?
I'm not saying they are not but majority of western devs do go with more realistic visuals, same way most majority of Japanese devs got for more anime visual style but not all them.

Guilty_AI

I'm not saying they are not but majority of western devs do go with more realistic visuals, same way most majority of Japanese devs got for more anime visual style but not all them.
I literally just listed a majority that isn't going for realistic visuals, and there's more too. In fact, the only western games i can think of right now that were going for realism this year were Alan Wake 2 and Dead Space Remake.

Wait, now that i think about it, those were probably the only western games you played from this year weren't they? That explains a lot.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I literally just listed a majority that isn't going for realistic visuals, and there's more too. In fact, the only western games i can think of right now that were going for realism this year were Alan Wake 2 and Dead Space Remake.

Wait, now that i think about it, those were probably the only western games you played from this year weren't they? That explains a lot.
Are you forgetting about games like Spider Man 2, Assassin's Creed Mirage, COD and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Are you forgetting about games like Spider Man 2, Assassin's Creed Mirage, COD and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor?
Star wars is questionable as it has certain specific aesthetic like Hogwarts. Mirage is an AA game, it is not aiming towards high fidelity visuals and also has an specific aesthetic.

I'd only agree with COD and Spider Man 2, but still, compare with all the rest i listed (and more i haven't). This is not a majority no matter how you count them.

NanaMiku

This thread kinda reminded me of this video

Eastern culture sees things more holistic, so they tend to make something new that are perfect fit for the portable console. While for western devs chose how to bring their big games to fit the portable system.

AzekZero

Neo Member
I think the big difference between Japanese and Western devs is employee turnover. Lots of devs in the last decade have stuck to in-house engines to avoid paying licensing fees to the big players like Epic's Unreal Engine.

But then the employees leave cause of bad pay/bad work culture and the new hires don't know how to build games on these in-house engines. Now some of these studios can barely get their games running on the best hardware on the market, let alone the Switch.

If the rumors are true, Epic seem to be prioritizing UE5 support for the Switch's successor. If it works out we will probably see a much higher percentage of western releases coming to that console in the next decade.

Last edited:

EDMIX

yea...that doesn't sound like the majority, like you are trying your best to force that idea, but thats like me saying MAJORITY of Japanese developers only do that and name Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Yakuza, Metal Gear Solid, GT7, Demon Souls lol

Sir, not every Japanese game looks like an Anime clearly, but not every Western game looks like The Last Of Us.... Neither are at some 90% regarding those ideas, as that is just a bit exaggerative

It literally proceeds to ignore the vast number of titles from the west that literally look nothing like the games you mentioned.

So the Japanese made

Shovel Knight
shovel-knight-night-fuw9okxm4t2v6ixa.webp

Hyper Light Drifter
hyper-light-drifter-drifter.gif

Enter the Gungeon
gungeon-enter-the-gungeon.gif

Dead Cells
a4wC6WRnHUdVPMzXv7KDbB.gif

Celeste
tumblr_inline_p08wz4jeSI1qdiwz3_540.gif

Stardew Valley
stardew-valley-mine.gif

Coffee Talk
gtl.gif

Unpacking
giphy.gif

BattleBit Remastered
bbr-battlebit-remastered.gif

So look I have nothing against Japan as I'm a huge fan of the country as I speak some Japanese as well as read some, As an illustrator and concept artist a lot of my favorite artist are from Japan, However that does not mean I try to then devalue, degrade, belittle or try to look down on art from the West or try to bizarrely categorize the majority of it as realism to the absurd degree of 90%.

Creativity could come from any corner of the globe that is not something that is exclusive to any one region and the thing you're talking about is regarding AAA games if anything is even more rare because it's only the very top publishers that can even afford to put out these type of realistic games in the first place to then believe it makes up 90% of the fucking industry in the West..

So sir, 90% of the games that are releasing from the west do not look like Spiderman 2, nor can afford to look like Spiderman 2 lol

Jubenhimer

It used to be different during the DS/PSP days, but nowadays a portable console is just a low-spec PC/console, no need for the development to be exclusive to it. Especially when tones of similar games are also highly popular on PC - titles that also happen to get Switch versions later on or simultaneously, like DUSK, Risk of Rain 2, Factorio, Hollow Knight, Hades, etc.
This. We live in an era of multi-platform development and shared engines. A lot of games that often would've stayed exclusive to handhelds in the day, are now also available on PlayStation and PC such as Valkyria Chronicles 4 or many of Square Enix and Atlus' games.

Even games that launch exclusively on the Switch often get ported to other consoles later such as with No More Heroes III or Monster Hunter Rise.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You are right that lot of them dont come out on Switch, its reason why I also have PS5 but they still do release AA games like Octopath, Triangle Strategy and MHRise on Switch...which most western dont even do that much for Switch.

I wouldn’t expect a Western company to make a Switch exclusive. It just wouldn’t make any sense.

I can see Square and Capcom doing it because they not only have longstanding ties with Nintendo, but money was likely exchanged for those games to debut on Switch.

HL3.exe

Significant hardware leaps (in correlation with hardware demanding gameplay concepts) have stagnated drastically the last 10 years. These days CPU's aim for more efficiency instead of raw horse power, resulting in less power consuming devices delivering enough IPC power to run some of of most demanding games on handheld devices.

So TLDR: handhelds are more or less just console equivalents these days.

Woopah

The impact of HD gaming was a big factor in this.

It caused the cost if game development to rise by a massive amount. The big Western publishers were better able to cope with that, and primarily targeted the large 360/PS3/PC userbase in the West.

But Japanese publishers struggled with the cost increase, and the 360 and PC markets were very small in the East.

The DS and PSP offered cheaper development costs and lower risk, which led to third parties investing on those ecosystems and the platforms becoming very popular.

Nowadays the industry is becoming more and more multiplatform so the split does not exist. The majority of games will be PS5/Switch2/XBS/PC.

That isn't really anything to do with the console vs. handheld difference, but instead about East vs. West. Broadly speaking, the big Japanese publishers are more likely to do deals with Sony or Nintendo than Western publishers are.

Switch got SMT V, Monster Hunter Stories 2 and Octopath for the same reason PS5 is getting FFXVI, Silent Hill and Rise of Ronin. From doing deals.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
yea...that doesn't sound like the majority, like you are trying your best to force that idea, but thats like me saying MAJORITY of Japanese developers only do that and name Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Yakuza, Metal Gear Solid, GT7, Demon Souls lol

Sir, not every Japanese game looks like an Anime clearly, but not every Western game looks like The Last Of Us.... Neither are at some 90% regarding those ideas, as that is just a bit exaggerative

It literally proceeds to ignore the vast number of titles from the west that literally look nothing like the games you mentioned.

So the Japanese made

Shovel Knight
shovel-knight-night-fuw9okxm4t2v6ixa.webp

Hyper Light Drifter
hyper-light-drifter-drifter.gif

Enter the Gungeon
gungeon-enter-the-gungeon.gif

Dead Cells
a4wC6WRnHUdVPMzXv7KDbB.gif

Celeste
tumblr_inline_p08wz4jeSI1qdiwz3_540.gif

Stardew Valley
stardew-valley-mine.gif

Coffee Talk
gtl.gif

Unpacking
giphy.gif

BattleBit Remastered
bbr-battlebit-remastered.gif

So look I have nothing against Japan as I'm a huge fan of the country as I speak some Japanese as well as read some, As an illustrator and concept artist a lot of my favorite artist are from Japan, However that does not mean I try to then devalue, degrade, belittle or try to look down on art from the West or try to bizarrely categorize the majority of it as realism to the absurd degree of 90%.

Creativity could come from any corner of the globe that is not something that is exclusive to any one region and the thing you're talking about is regarding AAA games if anything is even more rare because it's only the very top publishers that can even afford to put out these type of realistic games in the first place to then believe it makes up 90% of the fucking industry in the West..

So sir, 90% of the games that are releasing from the west do not look like Spiderman 2, nor can afford to look like Spiderman 2 lol
most of the time the Japanese games going for the "Unique Artstyles" (which, let's be real here, it's all just anime visuals) do so because they have AA budgets, and can't afford realism (or are switch exclusive and have to scale down their power budgets to accomodate the system). Stuff like Atelier Ryza, Disgaea, Octopath Traveler, Persona, SMT, Tales, etc.

When you look at Western AA/indies which don't go for realism it's pretty similar there. Sifu, Psychonauts 2, Super Lucky's Tale, Ori, Cuphead, AHiT, Outer Wilds, so on so forth.

I think the main reason for this perception that western is more realistic is because
1. Most of us on GAF are westerners so we have more exposure to the AAA games with the big realistic graphics
2. There are less AA games in the west as indies have taken most of that spot. Japan has more AA as Switch is the majority platform there and portable games dominate the gaming industry.

Indies do have just as unique artstyles as AA but they get less exposure and are a bit homogenous due to a lot of them being 2D.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
After the Atari era, western gaming on the American side became mostly about 1) dem graphicz, 2) edge, 3) famous licenses. Consoles and arcades ruled, and their tech and interface required a type of gameplay that was ideal for those 3 elements. It’s no wonder than on the other side of the ocean, European devs were making completely different games, because they were developing mainly on home computers.

The American school wasn’t making games that would fit well and make the desired impact on the inferior tech of handhelds. This is why a lot of western games on handhelds were movie tie-ins, licensed games, and sports games. They would usually cram the best graphics they could get out of a Game Boy or Lynx into the limited space of a ROM cartridge, and be left with very little memory for any kind of significant gameplay. Many of those games would also lag horribly and play pretty badly. When a game was ridiculously big they’d put in the effort to shrink it down and that’s why Mortal Kombat somehow appeared on the GB. But everyone knew this wasn’t what the devs wanted. Nobody in America would start planning a game and worry about how it’d run on a handheld. Nobody.

You would see a bunch of typically European games being made specifically for handhelds, but those were invariably games that relied on simpler graphics and less hectic gameplay. Some of them are obscure gems, but none made a sensation at the time.

Everyone wanted a piece of the Nintendo handheld cake, but it’s unquestionable that Japan always ruled the handheld space from a very, very high place. Western games on the GBA were still mostly an afterthought, poorly made copycats of much better Japanese templates or shrunk-down versions of something made for infinitely beefier hardware. The metric ton of shovelware published on the DS has a high percentage of western stuff.

The scalability of modern games and the high intercompatibility of today’s hardware are the main reasons the west jumped on the Switch bandwagon. When Nintendo made non-portable, vastly inferior hardware than the competition with the WiiU, nobody bothered. And many western devs and publishers only supported the Wii because of its install base, while still making lots of game according to the same philosophy they made handheld games with.

It’s always been pretty obvious that Japan understands that portable gaming has its own identity, its own audience and its own space. Everyday life in Japan lends itself to portable gaming in a way everyday life in the west never could. Western devs and publishers always saw handhelds as the poor kid’s consoles, or machines for playground gaming. They never took it seriously.
Today’s indies are the heirs of those 80s and 90s British and European home computer devs. Many of them make games that are either tailored to portable hardware, or can be played on it without heavy compromises.
Now that Switch opened the gates to dedicated portable gaming PCs the perspective has changed a little. But those are still PCs, and will still be considered a compromise vs the “real” gaming on high-end PCs and current-gen consoles. In the west, vidya gamez are cool shit that must showcase the best tech available. Everything that isn’t meant to be displayed on the biggest screen available is peasant stuff. Even gaming enthusiasts scoff at indies - “I didn’t buy a PS5 to play indie shit” has been stated on GAF by more than one user.

cireza

Handhelds are consoles now.
That play your home console games like trash, but yes they finally have become your home console but portable, everybody rejoice ! Unless they are a PC, of course. In that case they are a PC but portable. A massive brick with poor battery life, that will play your favorite "unoptimized for tiny screen" PC game. Good luck reading the text !

Or how Sega pumped out endless Sonic trash?
You mean the excellent Sonic games made by Dimps ? All awesome.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Everyday life in Japan lends itself to portable gaming in a way everyday life in the west never could.
You would see a bunch of typically European games being made specifically for handhelds,
I think a reason for that sort of is just how different architecture in the US is as opposed to europe and Japan. In America where everyone lives in a suburb and drives everywhere there's less real incentive to go and leave your house, and in that case why game on a portable when the TV and the console are right there? Someone who's driving doesn't exactly have any spare attention to play a portable video game.

As opposed to Japan, with smaller houses, tons of public transport and more dense, big walkable areas, there's not much reason why you wouldn't be outside, doing your job (with insanely high work hours) or hanging out with friends. In which case it's quite handy to have a portable gaming console nearby. And the situation isn't much different for Europe either.

As a result portables are more seen of a novelty and a liability in the US whereas in EU and JP they're about as essential to gaming as are consoles and PCs. in America you'll get a portable to play around the house, in bed. In Japan you get one as your primary system.

Last edited:

zenspider

You saw this phenomenon at the time with DS/PSP regarding a "handheld" style -- Sony was always trying to gentrify the "handheld ghetto" - which was actually done by Nintendo, ironically.
I think today it's actually Western indie devs who actually keep the torch lit for the old Japanese styles. Japanese design is so captured by mobile :/

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Considering the state of handheld gaming and where it's expected to go, I think that in the end the western approach will last longer because in general handheld gaming is getting closer to what can be found on home systems.

Don't get me wrong, the tailor made games were special and very good for what they were. But at the end of the day the things that attract people to gaming are the big budget AAA experiences. and since the portable hardware is capable of running AAA it makes sense that we would start putting them on there. Even with the 3DS and PSVita, many of the games on there were being ported from home consoles. Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Maker, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, etc

EDMIX

most of the time the Japanese games going for the "Unique Artstyles" (which, let's be real here, it's all just anime visuals) do so because they have AA budgets, and can't afford realism (or are switch exclusive and have to scale down their power budgets to accomodate the system). Stuff like Atelier Ryza, Disgaea, Octopath Traveler, Persona, SMT, Tales, etc.

When you look at Western AA/indies which don't go for realism it's pretty similar there. Sifu, Psychonauts 2, Super Lucky's Tale, Ori, Cuphead, AHiT, Outer Wilds, so on so forth.

I think the main reason for this perception that western is more realistic is because
1. Most of us on GAF are westerners so we have more exposure to the AAA games with the big realistic graphics
2. There are less AA games in the west as indies have taken most of that spot. Japan has more AA as Switch is the majority platform there and portable games dominate the gaming industry.

Indies do have just as unique artstyles as AA but they get less exposure and are a bit homogenous due to a lot of them being 2D.

I don't disagree with you on why we might see it that way, merely that anyone making a deep critique of any art style should look into what they are even posting about if they are going to make such a claim, so being a lay person can't really count as their opinion is trying to come from a place of knowing about something

I don't disagree that great ignorance is why anyone would assume most in the west creating games are seeking realism, but that is an answer I'd accept if a person knows little of gaming and someone off the street just randomly ask their opinion, its more questionable when its someone on a gaming forum trying to convince us that "90% of western devs always go for more realistic graphics".

So it likely is merely an exposure thing or lack of being informed, not educated about the subject etc
I wouldn’t expect a Western company to make a Switch exclusive. It just wouldn’t make any sense.

I can see Square and Capcom doing it because they not only have longstanding ties with Nintendo, but money was likely exchanged for those games to debut on Switch.

True, but even Square and Capcom still port their titles over. Like Bravely Default 2, Octopath, Monster Hunter etc I think a lot of it has to do with Switch not using any gimmick that would hinder were the title goes to later on, as its not like DS or 3DS where if you didn't have a touch screen the concept wouldn't' work, they had to find some solid workaround with Resident Evil Revelations when it was ported over to make that concept, makes sense with the scanning.

Regardless of East Or West, many publishers are careful what they put out on Nintendo platforms, are very selective and those days of just doing exclusives for lolz seem to be lessor then before.

Considering the state of handheld gaming and where it's expected to go, I think that in the end the western approach will last longer because in general handheld gaming is getting closer to what can be found on home systems.

Don't get me wrong, the tailor made games were special and very good for what they were. But at the end of the day the things that attract people to gaming are the big budget AAA experiences. and since the portable hardware is capable of running AAA it makes sense that we would start putting them on there. Even with the 3DS and PSVita, many of the games on there were being ported from home consoles. Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Maker, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, etc

I agree.

I feel a handheld that is able to run everything, would still included those smaller titles. So nothing is really stopping someone getting a SteamDeck and loading it up full of indies or just randomly playing the entire Resident Evil series or something.

Top Bottom