• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation #DQWestVII3DS.

As I mentioned in the other thread talking about SE's comments about DQ, I signed up at Woodsus Dragon's Den forums. I'm just waiting for my account to be approved though.

If someone's already a member there, you might wanna drop a line about the campaign to them? Seeing as how they're apparently a huge DQ community, it's bound to end up helping things.

Raw64life

meh i want dqx instead :/

I also want DQX, and the DQM remakes, and DQ:RS and DQH. One step at a time.

As for this campaign, sure I'll try just about anything at this point. I look forward to being pleasantly surprised when this game finally comes out, only to be extremely disappointed that it's a digital only realease and then have people tell me to be glad I'm getting it at all when I complain about it.

Pikma

Banned
Fuck them I'm tired of begging Japanese companies to take my money. If they localize their products I'll buy them, but I won't kill myself if they don't. It's time for Square Enix to get their head out of their ass and do some fucking research to properly understand the west market.

Also, I think your best bet would be to ask Nintendo rather than Square Enix. If experience is anything to go by, they won't do shit by themselves, somebody else has to step in, they've probably grown to expect it, and that somebody can only be Nintendo (see: Bravely Default localization)

Good luck, though.

epmode

Fuck them I'm tired of begging Japanese companies to take my money.

Several Japanese publishers seem completely oblivious to Western trends and opinions. Square-Enix is a big one. There's absolutely a market for traditional JRPGs in the West. You only have to look as far as Falcom, a company that has found much success in localizing their ancient, low-budget RPGs for modern PCs. Or Atlus' RPGs. Hell, even Square's Bravely Default did great.

I suspect that Dragon Quest 7's localization would be about on par with Falcom's Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter which is being handled by a company a fraction of the size of Square Enix. And that's a series with virtually 0 brand recognition in the West. Even if it wouldn't move FF7 numbers, DQ7 would do very well. Square should learn to accept some money instead of always holding out for all of the money.

Brand and fan investment. Doesn't need to see a return attached exclusively to itself.

Of course, this is the thing that UP UNTIL RECENTLY Nintendo had no clue about. It seems they've finally turned the corner.

What are you talking about? They'd be investing into the DQ brand that will in the future be on other platforms and be taking a high risk on it. It makes no sense business-wise. They already did a ton of brand and fan investment last gen for Dragon Quest and it never paid off.

Koppai

Why don't you try to get Operation Rainfall involved? Despite what people may say otherwise that fan campaign did help us get those other 3 Wii games released in North America.

Yes I will message them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Best of luck. I fear S-E will be risk-averse until they drought their franchises into irrelevance.

ohlawd

only if SE does the localizing

it's completely pointless for Nintendo themselves to get involved. the seies has no future on their systems after DQ11

alf717

Isn't the main problem with Dragon Quest brand recognition? I'd rather see Dragon Warrior / Quest 1 - 6 make its way to the Wii U eShop first and then somehow promote that instead and based off those sales a probable digital only copy of Dragon Quest VII could be possible? Now don't get me wrong I'm am all about retail releases and all but what good will Dragon Quest VII do in the west but bomb if no one knows jack about the series. To bad Erdrick / Loto can't be slapped into Smash.

Aeana

only if SE does the localizing

it's completely pointless for Nintendo themselves to get involved. the seies has no future on their systems after 11

For the record, SE has coordinated the localizations for every DQ game. Even the ones Nintendo published. And none of them were translated in-house. They were all contracted to Plus Alpha, 8-4, Keywords International, etc.

Well, they're the biggest community of English DQ fans. I think it just goes to show how small that pool really is.

sörine

Banned
Several Japanese publishers seem completely oblivious to Western trends and opinions. Square-Enix is a big one. There's absolutely a market for traditional JRPGs in the West. You only have to look as far as Falcom, a company that has found much success in localizing their ancient, low-budget RPGs for modern PCs. Or Atlus' RPGs. Hell, even Square's Bravely Default did great.

I suspect that Dragon Quest 7's localization would be about on par with Falcom's Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter which is being handled by a company a fraction of the size of Square Enix. And that's a series with virtually 0 brand recognition in the West. Even if it wouldn't move FF7 numbers, DQ7 would do very well. Square should learn to accept some money instead of always holding out for all of the money.
DQVII's script is in all likelihood less than any of the Kiseki games. Those games are absolutely huge ranging from 1.5 to 4 million characters.

I'm not super convinced that SE is ignoring the pleas of people who would absolutely go out there day one and buy a new DQ remake.

I think they've heard the pleas and have judged them to be too small to cater to.

Isn't the main problem with Dragon Quest brand recognition? I'd rather see Dragon Warrior / Quest 1 - 6 make its way to the Wii U eShop first and then somehow promote that instead and based off those sales a probable digital only copy of Dragon Quest VII could be possible? Now don't get me wrong I'm am all about retail releases and all but what good will Dragon Quest VII do in the west but bomb if no one knows jack about the series. To bad Erdrick / Loto can't be slapped into Smash.

I've been saying that from the start. Step One is to get their goddamn games on the Virtual Console and PSN. The US got the NES versions of Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3, and 4, and the GB versions of 1+2 and 3. GB also got Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and 2, which I'd love to see again. When the Wii U gets its DS VC going, put 4-6 and 9 on it. Put 7 and 8 on PSN, and watch those sales pile up.

Use the back catalog to build interest for the future. Invest in the series.

Well, they're the biggest community of English DQ fans. I think it just goes to show how small that pool really is.

It's also been around pretty much forever. I signed up in 2001 and even then it felt old. I love how little the site has changed since then.

I don't think Dragon Quest VII 3DS is ever going to come here. We should probably be happy that the original ever got translated, so it won't be like DQ5 and 6 remakes where without them we would have never gotten official English versions. I have far greater hope for DQ7 to go on PS Classics (and other games on Virtual Console...).

sörine

Banned
I'm not super convinced that SE is ignoring the pleas of people who would absolutely go out there day one and buy a new DQ remake.

I think they've heard the pleas and have judged them to be too small to cater to.
Well, they're catering a mobile audience that's proving to be utterly disinterested anyway and buying less copies than the DS remakes sold. So hopefully they'll change their minds.

They also deemed the audience for Bravely Default to be too small to cater to and look what happened there. It outsold Lightning Returns and Square Enix even publicly guffawed over their mistake. I guess they haven't learned their lesson.

First time I've used Twitter. I hope I did it right!

I suppose I should just buy the PS1 version of the game off of eBay. Knowing my luck, they will announce a localization a month later.

OP, add @oprainfall to the list. I think that could arguably be the most important, since they have the ability to turn this from a small group of people sending tweets into something more

I'm not giving up just yet

Muzy72

Banned
I'm not surprised DQ7 isn't being localized. AFAIK, the DS remakes sold horribly in the west, whereas DQ9 sold fantastically well. The only DQ games worth bringing over are the new mainline entries IMO.

friz898

I'll sign here. I don't have a twitter, but if someone notices this thread, here's a +1.

Once I gave up on it, I sold my 3DS. I would rebuy a 3DS for DQ7 (and buy a Wii U for DQ10)

As sad as this is, thanks to their recent statements I just do not think this will work at all. It's time to let go, friends.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I am a massive pessimist.

I already tweeted everyone in the OP. Is there a point to doing that, as well as retweeting other tweets though? Or would I be dilutting the effort?

Top Bottom