• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The meanings behind the PlayStation controller buttons

mantidor

I always thought it was to avoid some patent/copyright infringement with Nintendo's SNES controller, same reason the only controllers with actual d-pads are exclusive to Nintendo. All other manufacturers have variations of it.

stryke

Yeah, score perfect on any type of Japanese test it will be riddled with circles. It's kinda weird.

But back to the buttons, they really should have kept them the same as the Japanese configuration for the rest of the world.

May16

Were there any games that utilized the triangle and square button's intended mechanics? .
I remember square bringing up the menu in Breath of Fire III (and maybe 4?). I Feel like there were other RPGs that brought up menus with square, too.
In BoF3, triangle wasn't anything to do with "view" though, so there's that.

I can remember that it was in Metal Gear Solid. Triangle switched to first-person view mode, didn't it?

Yeah, score perfect on any type of Japanese test it will be riddled with circles. It's kinda weird.
Red circles at that.

Eusis

I always thought it was to avoid some patent/copyright infringement with Nintendo's SNES controller, same reason the only controllers with actual d-pads are exclusive to Nintendo. All other manufacturers have variations of it.
Might just be worth it to keep their controllers distinct. You just look like a cheap copy if you mindlessly copy the competition, as I feel the case kind of is with the iOS/Android controllers and the Fire's.

It's also what aggravates me when I see people complain about the fucking letter placement of all things on Nintendo controllers, as if it's a crime to not homogenize and be the same as everyone else (or more specifically Microsoft really.)

Pyccko

It's also what aggravates me when I see people complain about the fucking letter placement of all things on Nintendo controllers, as if it's a crime to not homogenize and be the same as everyone else (or more specifically Microsoft really.)

I always just figured it was because Japanese is read right to left (and then carried on through tradition, natch)

Eusis

I always just figured it was because Japanese is read right to left (and then carried on through tradition, natch)
It seems they may flip pages that way, but will read vertically (though the order of those lines may be right-to-left.) And when it's horizontal it's left to right.

I actually made the case that there might be a thumb logic to it: your finger will first reach the A button, then you put it in further and it reaches the B button, and same for X/Y. Maybe there's a different explanation from Nintendo, but at any rate at worst it's a unique quirk.

Pyccko

It seems they may flip pages that way, but will read vertically (though the order of those lines may be right-to-left.) And when it's horizontal it's left to right.

I actually made the case that there might be a thumb logic to it: your finger will first reach the A button, then you put it in further and it reaches the B button, and same for X/Y. Maybe there's a different explanation from Nintendo, but at any rate at worst it's a unique quirk.

Yeah, I was referring to the vertical columns, but I like your theory. Relating back to my problem of having long fingers, I always tend to put my thumbs on Y/Square in a resting position, but a kid playing the NES/Famicom (the audience they were first designing for) would most likely be going for the A button, like you said.

For us expats who live in Asia, this whole mix up is super frustrating. I'm used to circle for confirm now, but fuck...pick one for the universal system.

Diablo 3 on PS4 is annoying me a bit because confirm suddenly becomes X.

Red Dead Redemption and Sleeping Dogs both had very serious, game-hindering bugs that didn't properly implement the button swap.

Vestax

Banned
Wow, this is pretty neat information. I thought it was a whole marketing thing, never knew it had a story behind it.

Makes wonder about the Xbox buttons now.

I don't know why companies don't just use up, down, left, right or north, south, east and west. That way everyone would know which button is which without needing to look at them.

What if you character is facing South?

["Press North to go South"]

"Round"? It's circle! Triangle, X, Square, and Circle!

Round? Haha; I call it ring, or sometimes hoop. Makes so much more sense!

Get_crazy

Banned
"Round"? It's circle! Triangle, X, Square, and Circle!
Sorry, I'm French and here we say "rond" (round obviously) instead of "cercle" (circle) because it's faster to say this way. Anyway, it doesn't bother you to say "triangle", "square", "circle" and then "aiks" instead of cross. That's just plain logic... to me at least.

If you played metal gear solid on the ps1 you probably remember hitting x on the title screen only to have it go back to the "press start" text.

O was confirm and x was cancel. It may have even been that way I'm mgs2 I don't recall.

Rizific

If you played metal gear solid on the ps1 you probably remember hitting x on the title screen only to have it go back to the "press start" text.

O was confirm and x was cancel. It may have even been that way I'm mgs2 I don't recall.

this is when i first noticed it myself.

Ranger X

That might sound stupid but they went through some interesting research to decide those buttons. They mean what the OP said and they also mean the 1-2-3-4 thing.

In the programming guidelines the buttons are also well defined. X and O are positive buttons and that's why you generally don't see a game going "accept/continue/proceed" with the square or triangle.

I got my PS4 from Hong Kong, and the O is "select" and the X is "back". If I knew that I would have never bought it. Its just so god damn annoying that if the game is from Europe or the US it gets reversed back. On top of that I use my PS3 quiet regularly and I have quite movies several times because of it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Yeah, back then I thought was just a weird Metal Gear quirk. It was only after playing some imported games a few months later that I realized what was really going on.

Springy

I got my PS4 from Hong Kong, and the O is "select" and the X is "back". If I knew that I would have never bought it. Its just so god damn annoying that if the game is from Europe or the US it gets reversed back. On top of that I use my PS3 quiet regularly and I have quite movies several times because of it.

Only some Western games reverse it. Most of the time, it'll stay as circle = accept and x = cancel. I liked it (Asian PS3 owner), it makes every game remind me of that initial bewilderment of booting MGS for the first time again. Is it switched back for all Western games on PS4? Shame.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The only modern game I know of that uses square as the menu is LBP. I always thought it was weird for that type of game.

I've only seen that button placement in a few RPGs, but never in action-oriented stuff.

Only some Western games reverse it. Most of the time, it'll stay as circle = accept and x = cancel. I liked it (Asian PS3 owner), it makes every game remind me of that initial bewilderment of booting MGS for the first time again. Is it switched back for all Western games on PS4? Shame.

Yes, even PSN games.

Sakujou

Banned
Lol isn't this super obvious? I knew this already for a couple of years. It's pretty Japanese with x and o.
The same goes for the abxy layout:
A is accept, b is back.

My question would be how did they come up with it in the first place? Why not use the same shit as the others. Sega, Nintendo did use letters for buttons, so it was mind boggling to see something different in this regard.

Get_crazy

Banned
My question would be how did they come up with it in the first place? Why not use the same shit as the others. Sega, Nintendo did use letters for buttons, so it was mind boggling to see something different in this regard.

Teiyu Goto said:
"Other game companies at the time assigned alphabet letters or colors to the buttons. We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward. I gave each symbol a meaning and a color."

Teiyu Goto said:
"The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively."

Source: 1up

Lol isn't this super obvious? I knew this already for a couple of years. It's pretty Japanese with x and o.

Was it super obvious that square denotes a sheet of paper and triangle denotes a point-of-view? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking because I'm not a Japanese culture expert. Maybe those symbols are mainstays there also, though I kinda doubt it.

SegaShack

Everything should be GCN style but alas :/
Yeah cause Gamecube did so well and was so well respected in its time right? I had one since 2003 and loved it but it has so many flaws people want to ignore these days. Weird button sizes, small C-Stick, Crap D-Pad. Far from great.

y6ZNhbH.jpg

Tetranet

I'm pretty sure the X and the Circle have and are being used as negative and positive (or vice versa) in many other countries.

At any rate, they are easily recognizable and distinct symbols. That alone qualifies them.

Top Bottom