• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament Is Being Made To Appeal To Older Pokemon Fans

Newline

This was like, never true for me. I haven't met any Pokemon fans at college. I think I knew more in HS.
Unlucky man, I graduated University last year and at least 4 guys that lived in my dorm room played pokemon (thats out of the 13 dorm room mates I was randomly placed to live with when I started Uni).

So i'd say it's very true for me, I stopped playing completely in secondary school. But I jumped straight back onto it once I had loads of pokemon enthusiasts around me at uni.

The Argus

So does this mean Pokemon will actually hit each other like in the show? The stadium games bothered me because they just sat there and swung at the air. I always assumed that was to keep an E rating.

So does this mean Pokemon will actually hit each other like in the show? The stadium games bothered me because they just sat there and swung at the air. I always assumed that was to keep an E rating.

Well yeah... It's essentially a Tekken spin-off. How would you make a Tekken game where they don't touch each other?

Basically what he's saying is, don't expect playable Pikachu.

What about Luchador Pikachu?

officialpikachulibre_izlpn.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Nope, it was because of technical limitations more likely...all the Pokemon are different sizes, got different body types, it'd be hard to make it so physical attacks would look proper no matter who was hitting who.

In fact, the first trailer for Pokemon Battle Revolution excited people because it showed Pokemon making physical contact---which was actually not in the final game.

Watch Da Birdie

Basically what he's saying is, don't expect playable Pikachu.

I dunno, when I was an edgy 13 year old I hated Pikachu. I liked Pokemon, but I made my dislike for "the face of the franchise" clear.

I actually enjoy Pikachu now. I find him adorable in the show still, sometimes pretty cool, and Smash 4 is probably the best representation of him in a game yet because he looks really expressive and cute.

I'm so pumped for this game. I hope it also feels like a Pokemon game in terms of theme, music and locations. Of course I'd be really disappointed if it didn't come to Wii U.

SalvaPot

If Gardevoir gets in over Gallade I'll be pissed.

Other than that, I hope this doesn't play 100% like a traditional fighting game, or at least let it have some wacky options like superpowers or comeback system.

Other than that, I hope this doesn't play 100% like a traditional fighting game, or at least let it have some wacky options like superpowers or comeback system.

I am still convinced it will play similarly but not fully like Monster Rancher did.

Watch Da Birdie

I still don't understand the conection between Pokemon fans and the Arcades.

Well, in Japan Arcades are still pretty big. There are quite a few Pokemon Arcade games already, although they tend to skew towards younger kids and have a simpler, "pay-to-play" element to them with collectible trinkets.

I assume part of Harada's idea that this will skew older will be the game will be more in line with classic skill-based Arcade games as opposed to the Gimmick Arcade Games Pokemon usually gets.

NEO0MJ

Screw this game.
Hope it bombs.

Enjoy your Charizard ABCs, Mr. Harada.

Don't hate Charizard for being so awesome, so perfectly designed for any game, so recognizable. Blame Pikachu for being a rodent.

Game needs a few female humanoid looking pokemon, so I won't e surprised if Gardevoir is picked over Gallade.

Also, we already know it won't use the traditional high/low block method so there's that.

Yup. The fighting type is one of a few that became way more populated with new gens. That said, I fully expect every pokemon in that list to appear in the game.
Heracross is GOAT
I don't expect most of those to appear, actually, because a lot of those Pokemon aren't that popular and they've already confirmed that they don't care about whether or not a mon's a fighting type.

Heracross has a decent chance of being in, of course, because it's a somewhat well-liked mon and it also has the ability to take advantage of the mega evo mechanic.

Top Bottom