• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament Is Being Made To Appeal To Older Pokemon Fans

GameE

014_thumb3.jpg

Pokémon titles have always been made for fans of all ages, but it looks like Pokkén Tournament will be more for the older fans of the franchise, who are now adults. Tekken series chief producer Katsuhiro Harada recently shared more about the game’s target audience in an interview with 4Gamer.

4Gamer notes that the game’s official website mentions that it says that the game is “not only for children, but for the Pokémon fans who’ve grown up and are in their 20s”. They ask what age demographic the game is aiming for, primarily.

“Naturally, it’s being developed into something that elementary school children can also enjoy, but if we’re talking about age demographics, we’re aiming for something over 18 years of age to the early 30s,” responds Harada.

“When it comes to Pokémon, everyone says they love it up until the fourth grade, and what’s funny is that there are kids who graduate from it after that,” he continues. “Well… it’s not that they ‘graduate,’ since they’re still fans, but they just don’t show [their enthusiasm], and kind of play it more behind-the-scenes.”

More on Siliconera
Translated from this interview

SerTapTap

For a moment I thought this would be about genwunners, doesn't appear to be the case though. I'm alright with an "older" focus since I'd guess fighting games skew a bit older than the most recent pokemon

“When it comes to Pokémon, everyone says they love it up until the fourth grade, and what’s funny is that there are kids who graduate from it after that,” he continues. “Well… it’s not that they ‘graduate,’ since they’re still fans, but they just don’t show [their enthusiasm], and kind of play it more behind-the-scenes.”
HTIfKtq.png

18-Volt

Right now it seems to appeal older AND Japanese fans. I know that a Wii U version is likely but I'd prefer playing this on next gen Nintendo hardware.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just think it's odd to assume older Pokemon fan = only likes the originals. Not Harada, I mean other people seem to think that.

I've been playing since the beginning and most of my favorites are from Gen 3, 4, and 5. Although I have nothing against the earlier ones. But damn it, give me Medicham, Abomasnow, and Sawk and Throh in this.

TreIII

To me, it's a no brainer.

I mean, most "traditional" fighting games tend to lean more towards an older crowd, anyway.

OmegaSmash said:
So Gen 1 and 2 pokemon roster focus?

I'd toss in Gen 3, as well. Blaziken is pretty much confirmed, at least going by that original teaser. And I'm sure all this ORAS love works both ways as far as appealing to older fans, while also working in tangent with a product that's current.

Lucario is in Smash and had a movie, right?

He transcends generations lol.

Mory pls lol

I just think it's odd to assume older Pokemon fan = only likes the originals. Not Harada, I mean other people seem to think that.

I've been playing since the beginning and most of my favorites are from Gen 3, 4, and 5. Although I have nothing against the earlier ones. But damn it, give me Medicham, Abomasnow, and Sawk and Throh in this.

I'm with you. I would say even a Gen 6 Pokemon like Hawlucha but that seems difficult.

I've seen this before and it's so damn true. I love the little detail of going from Game Boy Color to GBA, to the DS.
For me I was in my senior year of HS when HG and SS came out and when everyone I knew got back into Pokemon. From the end of elementary school until then I barely saw anything Pokemon related. I still played my copy of Crystal for a long time, but when I first got into online shooters in 2006-7 I dropped the series until HG and from then the next game I'll get (and probably last) is OR.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
From a gameplay perspective, it'd be weird to limit themselves to mainly Gen 1 and Gen 2 as well since there are a lot of Pokemon introduced later on who'd lend themselves well to a fighting game.

You've got a sumo wrestler, a yogi, a luchador, etc.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This was like, never true for me. I haven't met any Pokemon fans at college. I think I knew more in HS.

weird. Soon as I hit college I met tons! and then in my mid & late 20's I turned my wife into a Pokemon fan. People are far more accepting after all the BS of Highschool is over.

The only fully evolved fighting types in Gen 1 and 2 are:

Machamp
Primeape
Poliwrath
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Hitmontop
Heracross

Yup. The fighting type is one of a few that became way more populated with new gens. That said, I fully expect every pokemon in that list to appear in the game.
Heracross is GOAT

I do not think there are enough fighting types in both of those to really fill a roster. That being said, I really want Primeape.

I would be kinda surprised if there were no non-fighting types on the roster at all. Maybe not to the extent of a forced pikachu cameo, but like, something bipedal and popular like charizard or gengar. Yeah I know, ghost type, but I'm sure they'd have no problem with running it based on the rule of cool instead of regular type matchups.

Top Bottom