• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

XGoldenboyX

z07em4s.jpg

It is a collection fit for a king.

LOL !!!

robot

I imported Sonic 2 and 3 from Japan and noticed something weird with 2.

The game seems to play fine, but for some reason all of the music is fast. It's playing at the speed of when you get the super shoes (title screen, regular stages, bonus rounds, etc). I'm playing it on a U.S Nomad & Genesis, using a mega key.

Anyone have similar issues with this or another game? Sonic 3 checks out OK.

Fularu

Banned

The game seems to play fine, but for some reason all of the music is fast. It's playing at the speed of when you get the super shoes (title screen, regular stages, bonus rounds, etc). I'm playing it on a U.S Nomad & Genesis, using a mega key.

Are you sure it isn't a PAL asian copy? Looks like your music is sped up by 20%

D.Lo

Might be an Asian edition (50Hz NTSCJ)? PAL Sonic 2 had the music sped up (and nothing else) so it sounds a lot like that.
EDIT: Beaten haha!

robot

Oh wow yea maybe it is - I'll have to check. It was a freebie so it's not a huge deal, just something I've never come across before. Thanks guys.

Khaz

Sonic 2 Megadrive has its music tempo modified only if you switch 50/60Hz while the game is on. If you do switch with the console powered off, both 50Hz and 60Hz will play the music at the same speed. The same thing happened with Sonic 2 Master System interestingly.

I don't know how a Mega Key works so maybe it's messing with this setting somehow. The game is region free anyway so maybe it's time to do some carving on your cartridge slot?

robot

Sonic 2 Megadrive has its music tempo modified only if you switch 50/60Hz while the game is on. If you do switch with the console powered off, both 50Hz and 60Hz will play the music at the same speed. The same thing happened with Sonic 2 Master System interestingly.

I don't know how a Mega Key works so maybe it's messing with this setting somehow. The game is region free anyway so maybe it's time to do some carving on your cartridge slot?

Thanks for mentioning the game is region free - I went back and set the Mega Key dip switches to US to US instead of JPN to US, and that fixed the speed issue!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im playing Soleil/Crusader of Centy these days, what is the consensus on that? I was really looking forward to it, since I always felt it looked so great, but when I am now playing it, it actually feels kinda dull somehow - and I really dislike the controls for some reason.

Man, i had never played the Beavis and Butthead game as a kid, but i finally popped it in today, and ya know, besides a few too obtuse moments, and a couple of annoying platforming segments, it was actually a pretty decent game. I had a lot more fun with it then i was expecting.

ElTopo

Banned
Stimpy's Invention is a little underrated. Fantastic platformer on the Genesis and a one of the few great licensed games from that era.

IrishNinja

Man, i had never played the Beavis and Butthead game as a kid, but i finally popped it in today, and ya know, besides a few too obtuse moments, and a couple of annoying platforming segments, it was actually a pretty decent game. I had a lot more fun with it then i was expecting.

Stimpy's Invention is a little underrated. Fantastic platformer on the Genesis and a one of the few great licensed games from that era.

as a fan of both, i dig seeing the b-rated games that were actually good for licensed standards getting love here

Peltz

as a fan of both, i dig seeing the b-rated games that were actually good for licensed standards getting love here

I'm also a fan of both, but Stimpy's Invention is in its own class. Great game.

I seem to remember a great Tiny Toons game as well. Buster's Hidden Treasure. I don't own any of these games, but have rented them all back in the day. I wonder how well they hold up.

P.S. How's the Genesis port of Fatal Fury?

Slermy

I seem to remember a great Tiny Toons game as well. Buster's Hidden Treasure. I don't own any of these games, but have rented them all back in the day. I wonder how well they hold up.

Buster's Hidden Treasure was pretty good. Wasn't as great as the 1st NES game, but still really solid. Stimpy's Invention looks great as well.

Other games of the era that I thought turned out "decent" were Animaniacs and AAAAAAH! Real Monsters. The latter suffered from some poor level design & difficulty though.

I'll play Fatal Fury again tonight, but i imagine since it came out before the 6-button hit, that is going to hinder it.

Mercutio

From Hardcoregaming101.net:

Fatal Fury was popular enough in the arcades to get ported to SNES and Genesis. This was handled by Takara, who did many of SNK's home ports. Their controls are not quite as good as the arcade version, and the graphics and music obviously aren't up to the same level. The arm wrestling bonus games have been replaced with more typical Street Fighter II type games too. However, in some respects these two 16-bit ports might actually be the best versions of the game, because they solve the biggest problem of the arcade version: Every character in the game is now playable in two player mode. However, the Genesis version lacks Billy Kane and Hwa Jai completely. The version for X68000 computers is almost identical to the arcade game, but the system's resolution results in the visible part of the playing field being much more narrow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I backed for two copies. One for me, and one for my older brothers that I plan on giving them as a Christmas gift. :) I pretty much got into gaming via their Sega consoles, particularly the Genesis, as a kid, and I know they are both still fond of those classic games (even if one of them doesn't game much anymore), so I feel it's appropriate.

Teknoman

There's a French version of the game, so I'd guess it's the French one he's selling.

Ah makes sense. I was under the impression that for some reason there was a European version with English, Italian, French, and Spanish, and then there was a separate German version with just German.

Ah makes sense. I was under the impression that for some reason there was a European version with English, Italian, French, and Spanish, and then there was a separate German version with just German.

No. There's English, German, French and Spanish versions with just 1 language each.

Fularu

Banned
This is a long shot...but does anyone here speak french?

I dont think this is the version of Soleil that is in German since it says the European version, but I dont really trust google translate for something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251653507634?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cart code (on label) ends with 09, it's the French version

Versions are as follows :

- 05 english
- 09 french
- 18 german

Hope that helps.

Here's an english version (8 hours left on the auction) and the seller will post worldwide :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solieil-c...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2c8ea297a6

Top Bottom