• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

stewy

I backed for two copies. One for me, and one for my older brothers that I plan on giving them as a Christmas gift. :) I pretty much got into gaming via their Sega consoles, particularly the Genesis, as a kid, and I know they are both still fond of those classic games (even if one of them doesn't game much anymore), so I feel it's appropriate.

If anyone's looking for a chance to win a copy, I'm raffling one off over at www.extra-life.org/participant/sewart

I personally can't wait for my copy. I had a chance to read some of the material that will be included in the book. It's going to be amazing.

Anybody tried this with a Nomad (lol):

nomad3.jpg

nomad4.jpg

nomad5.jpg

Pics are apparently a joke, the Nomad only plays Mega Drive/Genesis games :(

stewy

I thought the Nomad could technically play 32X games, it's just that the unit makes connecting the required cable between the two bits of hardware impossible.

Edit: or am I thinking of the Power Base Converter/CDX combo? :)

D.Lo

Mega Drive can't be put into Master System mode when the 32X is connected, so any 'tower of power' pics are only ever jokes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is a long shot...but does anyone here speak french?

I dont think this is the version of Soleil that is in German since it says the European version, but I dont really trust google translate for something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251653507634?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I speak French. It seems to be the French version, there's no indication of the language. The section under "versions/languages" says that, "some titles in stock may be imports, which would mean the manual is in English, but the game's language is in French if that's what the ad says". And the ad doesn't really say anything else about the language, so I'm assuming it's French.

Teknoman

No. There's English, German, French and Spanish versions with just 1 language each.

Cart code (on label) ends with 09, it's the French version

Versions are as follows :

- 05 english
- 09 french
- 18 german

Hope that helps.

Here's an english version (8 hours left on the auction) and the seller will post worldwide :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solieil-c...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2c8ea297a6

I speak French. It seems to be the French version, there's no indication of the language. The section under "versions/languages" says that, "some titles in stock may be imports, which would mean the manual is in English, but the game's language is in French if that's what the ad says". And the ad doesn't really say anything else about the language, so I'm assuming it's French.

Cool, thanks for the help.

I came across one at a games convention here in Norway last year, sadly not running, but man it was big.
It's really comfortable because of that size, but I have larger hands. Kudos to Sega for doing what they were doing with hardware in the 90s. They must have had a crack engineering team to do stuff like the Nomad and CDX.

robot

I dug out my nomad the other day and yea, that screen is not very good. On my long list of things to get modded.

woodypop

My pickups from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo a few days ago:

4E2E4540-5D93-4770-8BF0-858883AC709D_zpsouncenzf.jpg

Didn't really need a second set of wireless pads, but the price was good. Can't believe how long it's taken me to find an official 3-button stick. This one's well-worn, but I can't really complain for $7. I impulsively bought the 6-button pad cuz it looked unique--turns out it's just a cheaply made (but official) controller. =/

6A43A87E-C047-47D8-92F5-2B052337450F_zpsvetthxdf.jpg

I got Marc Erickson to sign the G-LOC cart, as he's the box-art illustrator. ST:DS9 is box/manual only--no game. I got it for a buck, so I'll have to hunt down the cart to complete it, lol.

7EE4157A-A592-43A3-960A-F68889E503A1_zpswxndtyvm.jpg

Got about 20 issues of SEGA Visions and 7 issues of Mega Play. Dropped $100 on the lot, but don't feel bad about it. Ahhh, nostalgia.

(Was bummed that, even with all the vendors, I couldn't find a complete copy of Alien Storm or cart-only Shadow Dancer.)

Teknoman

I want to find more Mega Plays if only for the fact that I never knew they existed, and i'd like to actually read through them. Strangely, you never see old game mags in Half Price Books anymore.

What was Sega Visions? Also it just hit me that the PS3 Sharpshooter looks pretty close to the Sega Menacer...and also we'll never see a console gun again.

IrishNinja

Mega Play was EGM's sega mag, Sega Visions was the official Sega one - think like Nintendo Power, but way way less circulation.

they ran this like seasonal SMS newsletter in the day (sometimes called Sega Power or Challenge or whatever), ive only got 2 or 3 issues of that one left & the few on ebay are stupid priced. So when the Genesis started,they switched to a full-on magazine with Visions, but only the first issue was free - look up the cover cause damn ive always wanted to have it blown up as a poster, haha.

so yeah, they charged after that & it ran right up to about the beginning of the Saturn, i have nearly a complete run of that one...as woody said, so many memories.

ps you're right, tragedy about guns/zappers, too

Teknoman

Sega's answer to Nintendo Power, but they never had the regular sneak peeks at the import scene stuff or its Quarterman-like rumors like EGM's Mega Play spin off did.

doesn't get much more thorough than this!

*edit man that video's great but i forget how bad you are at ESWAT, haha

Sounds like Mega Play was the better of the two? Stew, what music did you use during that Visions segment?

BTails

My pickups from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo a few days ago:

6A43A87E-C047-47D8-92F5-2B052337450F_zpsvetthxdf.jpg

I got Marc Erickson to sign the G-LOC cart, as he's the box-art illustrator. ST:DS9 is box/manual only--no game. I got it for a buck, so I'll have to hunt down the cart to complete it, lol.

Nice pick ups Woody! Start Trek: DS9 is an underrated gem: hopefully you find a cart to complete that guy soon. It's basically Star Trek meets Flashback. I'm playing through it right now on SNES (Better colours, worse music).

There's a version of PicoDrive that'll run on unmodded PSPs and (maybe) Vitas and it's blowing my mind.

Oh, and Alien Storm is totally better than Golden Axe, IrishNinja.

Peagles

Stop it you guys I'm gonna have to start playing it and I need to keep writing my thesis!

Maybe I could just put the sound test on...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Having a harder time keeping up with my Genesis ambitions now that the honeymoon phase has worn off.

Stop it you guys I'm gonna have to start playing it and I need to keep writing my thesis!

Maybe I could just put the sound test on...

well I mean you have pretty good material for a thesis right here

make sure to include the part where golden axe doesn't have any robots

ElTopo

Banned
Alien Storm is fun but Golden Axe is just a fantastic beat 'em up. The controls are a bit stiff but it's very purposeful (like the old Castlevanias) and it could be a masterpiece of the genre.

alienator

Started to collect some megadrive shmups, here are the first ..3 ;/

10730944_10153331928926164_4793787940579870540_n.jpg

strangely, the thunder force 2 came with a typed dutch manual.. of thunderfore 3 ;c

10289811_10153342076251164_5012816081604962514_n.jpg

well, off to hunt TF3 down ;)

ElTopo

Banned
Alien Storm has more variety in the first 2 missions than the entirety of Golden Axe. Better pacing and better enemy design, too.

It is a fun game. Not a lot of dudes are going to deny that. But as a beat 'em up it doesn't offer as much gameplay-wise or satisfaction when playing it. Defeating Death Adder was a real "Holy shit, I did it!" moment. Beating Alien Storm is more like "Oh, I did it. That was fun."

IrishNinja

Alien Storm has more variety in the first 2 missions than the entirety of Golden Axe. Better pacing and better enemy design, too.

preach
GA's a classic & a good port (Sega-CD collection thing aside), and from that Conan/Rastan era is a plus...also i don't like comparing it to say SOR or deliberately faster-paced beat-em-ups either, to be fair

but Alien Storm is closer to the formula, with a few changes in the level design to mix things up & keep em interesting. it's overall a more fun experience for me, especially co-op!

i'll add this to the mix: as a Genesis series, GA games dropped in quality as they went on. 2's not bad but not as good for me as 1 was, and 3's kinda terrible.

Top Bottom