• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought MG: Ghost Babel and a GBA SP headphone adapter

So I just righted two wrongs I should've done a long long time ago.

First: one of the very best GBC games I kept hearing about over the years was one I blame Konami's stupid marketing department for me skipping when it was out.

You see I loved Metal Gear Solid on PS1 but when I saw there was a game called "Metal Gear Solid" back in 2000 for Game Boy Color I thought it was a poor man's and an incredibly downgraded port of the original MGS for an 8 bit handheld.

Of course little did I know, and didn't learn about it until years later when the game and the GBC were out of print, that this game was originally called "Metal Gear: Ghost Babel" and not only was it's own original thing, but it was a spectacular GBC game. For years I kept entertaining the idea of eBaying it and today I finally did just that.

Second: it took me 11 years to do something about the worst design flaw Nintendo probably ever did for any of its handhelds (Virtual Boy not withstanding). The otherwise amazing GBA SP did not have a standard headphone jack! If I was going to play some MG GB on my SP I was gonna do it with style, right? So I bought the damn adapter that'll let me use my headphones with the system.

What does GAF think? Is MG: GB worth dusting off and buying a headphone adapter for my old SP? Do GBC games have any advantage of playing them on an actual GBC or am I getting the better experience with the SP?

Metal_Gear_Solid_(Ghost_Babel)_NA_Game_Boy_Color_cover.jpg

agsear.gif

SP will do you fine. There is no bad scaling (by default, though you can force one) so you can play it 1:1. I never beat Ghost Babel, but I did get pretty damn far and I did enjoy it quite a bit, but like all GB games it's sound isn't exactly great even with headphones.

SP will do you fine. There is no bad scaling (by default, though you can force one) so you can play it 1:1. I never beat Ghost Babel, but I did get pretty damn far and I did enjoy it quite a bit, but like all GB games it's sound isn't exactly great even with headphones.

Whoa, I did not understand a thing about that sentence. What do you mean by "bad scaling"? Force what? What's 1:1 and why do I want to play it like that?

smuf

Whoa, I did not understand a thing about that sentence. What do you mean by "bad scaling"? Force what? What's 1:1 and why do I want to play it like that?

If you press the shoulder buttons you can stretch GB/GBC games out to fill the whole screen which makes everything look terrible. By default it's letterboxed and uses the original aspect ratio/resolution.

You can use L and R to widen the game's aspect ratio to fill the screen of the SP since the GBA screen is bigger than the GBC or the GB's, but doing so just stretches the image out. Otherwise it'll play at the original size it was on the GBC

The 3DS scales DS/GBC/etc games by default, but because the resolution isn't much larger, it makes the games inherently blurry. GBC games on GBA SP play at the same resolution as they would on a real GBC so they look sharp (which is what you want).

I was saying that the SP is a good choice for playing GBC games, probably better than a real GBC because of having a built in light.

Hasney

As in if you play a DS game in 3DS, it's stretched by default. On the GBA, a GB game plays at the same resolution as the original, so there's no stretching just to fill the screen.

duckroll

Ghost Babel is a fantastic game. Calling it "Metal Gear Solid" instead of emphasizing on what made it unique from the PS1/PS2 games really did it no favors in the US market.

The 3DS scales DS/GBC/etc games by default, but because the resolution isn't much larger, it makes the games inherently blurry. GBC games on GBA SP play at the same resolution as they would on a real GBC so they look sharp (which is what you want).

I was saying that the SP is a good choice for playing GBC games, probably better than a real GBC because of having a built in light.
I always thought GBC games on GBA were displayed a fraction smaller than they would on the original GBC screen. I lack proof, of course.

I just realized Ghost Babel's acronym is GB. MG GB! It can't be a coincidence right? Goddammit, Konami! You should've kept the name for the western markets. In an effort to make it more marketable it had the opposite effect on me and made me skip it.

Rymuth

Ghost Babel is amazing. Check my first post on GAF. I got back into GBA/GBC for this game.
Edit: go for the adapter

Ghost Babel is a fantastic game. Calling it "Metal Gear Solid" instead of emphasizing on what made it unique from the PS1/PS2 games really did it no favors in the US market.

truly a cheap marketing move, who knows why they tried to sell it as a port of MGS instead of a standalone sidestory.

and the game is really fun, very much like Metal Gear 2 on the MSX.
(and yes, the headphone adapter was a cheap move)

Putosaure

Isn't the audio output of the SP still in mono even with headphones ?

EDIT : Metal Gear GBC is great btw. Lots of storytelling. Nice action.

Isn't the audio output of the SP still in mono even with headphones ?

EDIT : Metal Gear GBC is great btw. Lots of storytelling. Nice action.

Im 100% positive that the GBA had stereo sound capabilities with headphones but only a mono speaker.

What Im not so sure is if GBC games can be played in stereo when using headphones.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was actually underwhelmed by this game. The bad guys were entertaining enough, but the story was a little odd. I guess it doesn't help that it's not canon.

However, the game play itself is pretty decent. It's pretty much the same formula as the other 2D games which precede it.

I played the hell out of the VR missions, but I hated the campaign in Ghost Babel. The part with the convener belts was terrible.
Never understood how it got so many perfect scores.

I was actually underwhelmed by this game. The bad guys were entertaining enough, but the story was a little odd. I guess it doesn't help that it's not canon.

However, the game play itself is pretty decent. It's pretty much the same formula as the other 2D games which precede it.

Years ago I got pretty far on the original MG1 that came packaged with MGS3 Subsistence but got bored and frustrated over its sheer repetitiveness and sometimes unfair difficulty.

I often hear MG GB may be THE best 2D Metal Gear game ever and one of the best GBC games of all time. It has to be my type of game.

Can you play this on a gba micro?
Did not know that GBM wasnt compatible with GB/C games! You learn something every day.

In my opinion the GB Micro was the worst handheld Nintendo ever produced this side of the Virtual Boy. The screen was so tiny you could struggle reading the text of some games! What a catastrophe.

Jawmuncher

Ghost Babel is so good that it alone made Solid Snakes spot in Smash make sense to me. Recently just played it as well and the SP works great for it even if you decide to stretch the image. Also theres a few things to catch for a game that's "E" rated. Either ESRB was more lax back then or someone wasn't offering everything to them. Since a good 3 scenes should have made it T.

Ghost Babel is so good that it alone made Solid Snakes spot in Smash make sense to me. Recently just played it as well and the SP works great for it even if you decide to stretch the image. Also theres a few things to catch for a game that's "E" rated. Either ESRB was more lax back then or someone wasn't offering everything to them. Since a good 3 scenes should have made it T.
Id like to think Ghost Babel was a reason for Snake in SSBB but I think it had more to do with the train wreck called Twin Snakes for GameCube.

Yeah it's weird this one got rated E but the similar-ish Perfect Dark GBC got a T. I'm guessing the big ass sprites had something to do with it.

I always read so many comparisons Of MG GB with Perfect Dark GBC. I take it not only is MG GB the better game by far but PD GBC was actually a bad game wasn't it?

CBTech

I played Ghost Babel as a kid when my brother borrowed it from a friend. It was my first full MGS game after playing the MGS demo. Love it. I've been looking for a copy for awhile now.

Top Bottom