• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems with your PS4? A database rebuild may fix all of them

Please lock this thread if it's inappropriate, but I thought it might be warranted given my (admittedly anecdotal) evidence.

So I've had a few problems with my PS4 over the last few months, like I know many do

1. Share does not always record the right amount of gameplay

2. Sometimes when I start up a game I haven't played in months, it will start to DL an update, even though I have automatic updates turned on and my other games have been updating automatically

3. Occasionally (maybe once or twice per month) my system would not wake from standby, and I had to do a manual power cycle on it.

Since installing the latest firmware update, my system failed to come back from rest/standby mode 4 consecutive times. I had enough, and decided to try rebuilding the database.

You can rebuild your database by following these steps:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

It warns that it can take hours, but mine only took about 5 minutes. Upon completion of the database rebuild, I booted up my PS4 and immediately noticed something strange. It began downloading 8 updates, all for applications/games I have not used in a long time. Octodad, Trials, Headset App, etc. After looking into it, it seems these were all updates I should have received, but for whatever reason were never detected by my system.

iFixALZV6Slkv.jpg
Additionally, I have now put it to rest/standby and brought it back 4 times in a row successfully.

I also ran a quick test on the gameplay recording feature, and it also seems to work in games that I previously had problems with, though there have been many times where I thought it was fixed and it ended up failing to work so I am a bit more hesitant to call this feature fixed.

Regardless - I think it might be a good idea for anyone seeing odd behaviour with their system to do a database rebuild, it seems there may be some problems/conditions existing behind the scenes that cause this. Would also be curious if people who have been having similar problems with standby or game updates could report back if this makes a difference for them.

Interesting didn't your PS4 rebuild the database right after the Update? Because mine did.

I believe mine did as well, however I initiated this one manually by booting into safe mode. Perhaps that makes a difference - regardless it may be worth a try for people having problems. It could also very well just be coincidence

demolitio

I'll have to try that tonight since I always had that problem with automatic updates as well and now the standby bug is annoying me.

Great hardware, frustrating software at times. I've always liked their elegant simplicity approach but some of their decisions puzzle me (no pausing downloads on PS4 so I can't even decide when I need my bandwidth for something else or playing online?) and there's been plenty of these threads pop up after an update breaks something.

Hopefully this isn't just a coincidence and actually fixes the standby bug and automatic downloads. Thanks for posting it.

I'll have to try that tonight since I always had that problem with automatic updates as well and now the standby bug is annoying me.

Great hardware, frustrating software at times. I've always liked their elegant simplicity approach but some of their decisions puzzle me (no pausing downloads on PS4 so I can't even decide when I need my bandwidth for something else or playing online?) and there's been plenty of these threads pop up after an update breaks something.

Hopefully this isn't just a coincidence and actually fixes the standby bug and automatic downloads. Thanks for posting it.

I agree it's been a bit annoying at times. Good Luck. Give it a shot and post your results

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
2. Sometimes when I start up a game I haven't played in months, it will start to DL an update, even though I have automatic updates turned on and my other games have been updating automatically
I believe that is an intentional design choice. The PS3 also only auto-updated the most recent X games.

KiteGr

Mine couldn't come back from rest mode yesterday (after the update). Thankfully it only happened once.

If it happens again i'll try this.

Mugatu

Mine wouldn't recover from standby this morning. I unplugged it which i guess is wrong, the power button can take up to 60 seconds to turn it off but I didn't know that, I just thought it was unresponsive. Scared the heck out of me but it came back on and works now.

Is there a way to set it so it never goes into standby? I just want it to turn off after inactivity and I thought I had it set to do that but it went into standby when I fell asleep watching Youtube anyway.

EDIT: i do remember my system rebuilding the database after the update as well.

Pretty sure this firmware brought pauseable downloads too finally.

Top Bottom