• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

Theoretical performance doesn't mean jack when we have concrete evidence of real time performance on many cross platform games.

Sony fans are trying way too hard to make it look like PS4 is 2x better than X1 when it really isn't. Making fake comparisons to make that true doesn't really help either. Now that's just sad.

lol, so much anger

omonimo

Banned
Still an obvious fake comparison. PS4 version is suffering from pop-in issue as well it's not a God-spec machine. The difference between the 2 systems hasn't been huge as Sony fans would've liked.
Not needs to be a God spec machine to beat xone messed design. Time to accept this thing. Xone can't handle 1080p like the ps4, because ps4 it's more optimized compared to the xone. MS hardware had half the rops, almost half of bandwith and bottleneck esram. There is not black magic which works here.Don't think even that 10 % of overheated cpu will solve something because it doesn't.
Blame MS to spend their money in the kinect bullshit, when they can easily beat the ps4 specs if they wanted, just spending the tons of more money they have compared to Sony, working in a better hardware. It's not the PS4 fans the real enemies here, looks better. Sorry for the ot.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's pretty significant.

No way for me find that exact area but I made a clip anyways.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...dboy&vid=ba224531-beb9-46d7-8361-f6489c593895

Just some random area I chose to show off the density of foliage. In this particular area, you can see that there are patches where it's empty, but then there are also areas where the grass is thick.

Anyway, examine away!
Ok yea, so either the PS4 and XB1 versions have the same general foliage density, just placed differently(possible, but maybe not likely) or the XB1 version still has a fair bit of foliage density, just not as much as PS4 version. Which would make sense.

Thanks.

What is going on here? DF vs. Xbox One and there's PS4 talk everywhere. I'm so confused.
Warriors.

goonergaz

Makes sense DF got the XBO version - it runs fine and looks good, seems to be 'parity' - get the goods news out the door, then tomorrow do a proper comparison which highlights the things missing from the XBO version and the damage is already done.

Looking like Black Flag day one patch all over again...these comparisons are a double edged sword - we want them ASAP so we can make our purchasing descions, but with patches giving upgrades (or better versions being held back a little as in this case) the 'analsyis' is pointless.

Makes sense DF got the XBO version - it runs fine and looks good, seems to be 'parity' - get the goods news out the door, then tomorrow do a proper comparison which highlights the things missing from the XBO version and the damage is already done.

DF picked up the XBO version themselves, it seems they did not receive review copies.

Here is the original source for the foliage comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t9xAI5g7Ao&feature=player_detailpage#t=395

Doesn't look like it's fake.

Good grief,

m5QfIhd.png

O1b1FYw.png

panty

Hopefully the PS4 version will be good too.
That shimmering has been noticeable in all the gameplay vids I've seen so far(official vids, not seen any streams).

Everything sounds about what I expected. Clear last gen roots, but still a great makeover.

Oh FFS.

Are you saying they don't because they do.

MilkyJoe

Ok yea, so either the PS4 and XB1 versions have the same general foliage density, just placed differently(possible, but maybe not likely) or the XB1 version still has a fair bit of foliage density, just not as much as PS4 version. Which would make sense.

I dunno if people have seen this yet, but it's PS4 Xbox One sid e by side... Make up your own minds graphics wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5GVTwWTaGs

Performance we're going to have to wait on DF

What's wrong with the second one?

Looks like the XB1 might have a lower quality motion blur as well?

I guess some sacrifices had to be made to get to resolution parity. If they are cutting back on stuff like foliage, motion blur and I wouldnt be shocked if alpha effects take a knock as well. That was always the PS3 stuff that got toned down.

Also its hard to get a exact comparison because of how dynamic weather and stuff is but is there a HDR difference between the 2 as well? I swear the XB1 version looks a little different lighting tone wise from the trailers and PS4 footage but maybe the footage I see is just captured weirdly.

panty

Here is the original source for the foliage comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t9xAI5g7Ao&feature=player_detailpage#t=395

Doesn't look like it's fake.

Holy crap that's a big difference.

Fake. The ratio on map is all wrong. Left screen looks like it's from 360.

Who made this comparison?
That was a waste of time to read.

Judging from ps4 and X1 screens, there isn't much difference between the 2. (Grass doesn't affect gameplay)

Still an obvious fake comparison. PS4 version is suffering from pop-in issue as well it's not a God-spec machine. The difference between the 2 systems hasn't been huge as Sony fans would've liked.

Theoretical performance doesn't mean jack when we have concrete evidence of real time performance on many cross platform games.

Sony fans are trying way too hard to make it look like PS4 is 2x better than X1 when it really isn't. Making fake comparisons to make that true doesn't really help either. Now that's just sad.

I stand corrected. Difference is minuscule.

Keep up with the good fight lol.

smh

ekim

Looks like the XB1 might have a lower quality motion blur as well?

I guess some sacrifices had to be made to get to resolution parity.

Also its hard to get a exact comparison because of how dynamic weather and stuff is but is there a HDR difference between the 2 as well? I swear the XB1 version looks a little different lighting tone wise from the trailers and PS4 footage but maybe the footage I see is just captured weirdly.

Watch the whole video. It's just a shitty recording and motion blur is all over the place on both systems.

Elios83

Xbox version has a tree in it. PS4 doesn't.
am I doing the warrior thing right?

Nope because in the PS4 screen the tree is cut out of the camera :p
Difficult to tell what's happening in the second comparison, there seems to be a different lighting condition and either the capture was not good on the XB1 or there's motion blur in the scene and the XB1 has a more rough type of it. Honestly I wouldn't read too much in the second comparison at this point.
The difference in foliage/grass density seems confirmed instead.

KageMaru

Glad to see the XBO version turned out ok. Wish I was able to try out the PS4 version last night but I fell asleep before the install was done.

Also it's funny how DF articles brings out the silly comments from both sides of this stupid war.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The games do seem to be pretty much the same outside of the PS4 having more foliage which seems about right given the gpu differences. As others have said its just the RDR situation from last gen just reversed.

No way for me find that exact area but I made a clip anyways.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...dboy&vid=ba224531-beb9-46d7-8361-f6489c593895

Just some random area I chose to show off the density of foliage. In this particular area, you can see that there are patches where it's empty, but then there are also areas where the grass is thick.

Anyway, examine away!

I can confirm that PS4 version has better grass. Those mountains are also more grassier.
However, there are quite a few FPS drops on PS4 when huge architecture is in your view, initial loading stutter kinda thing. Not sure if same on Xbone.

We can laugh about the lack of grass, but that shit was brought up non-stop when it was an issue in RDR PS3.

Pretty sure it was the verge of becoming a meme at one point too...

I bought the Xbone version to play with friends. We all immediately regretted it once we saw the grass. We all wanted to play "Hide in the Grass" so we could pop up and scare each other. With this significant lack of grass, we can't do it. This was a waste of $59.99 plus tax.

Fuck this shitty, shitty, grassless game. Thanks for nothing Rockstar. Next time fucking add more grass. I've already asked for a refund for my digital purchase on the basis of low grass density.

Grand Theft Auto? More like GRASS Theft Auto.

geordiemp

I can confirm that PS4 version has better grass. Those mountains are also more grassier.
However, there are quite a few FPS drops on PS4 when huge architecture is in your view, initial loading stutter kinda thing. Not sure if same on Xbone.

I would expect Ps4 to look better but Xb1 to stream better when new assets are added is just my guess.

KageMaru

Ubi implemented a method to offload cloth simulation from CPU to GPU and the result favored PS4. So please explain us what does that mean to GTA NG performance?

While the performance gap between the XBO vs PS4 is real, this also shows how benchmarks are largely useless without context.

Top Bottom