• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Baldur's Gate 3 PlayStation 5 vs PC - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
AvSggyg.png

StereoVsn

I really wish more devs supported KBM on consoles for SP or co-op MP games.

There is no reason KBM couldn't be supported on PS5. Wonder if support will be there for Xbox release.

shamoomoo

Yes, but saying it's an "outaded mobile CPU" is dishonest - it was certainly fine especially for the year it released. It uses the same layout as a 3700X with some minor tweaks, with same core count and 100 mhz slower clock speed compared to the 3700. The result is that it performs more like a 3600X.
It is and I'm saying that as some kind of put down. Zen 3 and Renoir launched before and after the PS5 came out,since Sony's hardware is customized,the CPU could've been like "Cezanne lite" because the PS5 doesn't have 16MBs of L3$ nor is it unified.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

It is and I'm saying that as some kind of put down. Zen 3 and Renoir launched around the same timeframe as the PS5,since Sony's hardware is customized,the CPU could've been like "Cezanne lite" because the PS5 doesn't have 16MBs of L3$ nor is it unified.
True - but I don't think it's fair to expect the highest end CPU in the same year a console is released, especially when it had been in development for some time beforehand. IIRC, the Xbox Series X has the same CPU setup, with reduced cache and all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What about proper multi threaded optimization instead?
How about both? Pro console should be running the base console quality mode in 60fps and the base performance mode in "120." Then have their own 30/40fps quality mode profile with more bells and whistles on top of that.

skit_data

Well that was a bit unexpected. There are definitely some chugging every now and then but it doesn't really correspond to what's going on on screen (at least not yet, I'm still early in the game) but reminds me of the slower loading we used to see on last gen consoles.

It's not anywhere near as slow of course but there are times when you sorta feel the game is not responding instantly to your input. It's not as "snappy" as most other games released recently.

With that said it really doesn't impact the game other than the inventory and looting feeling a bit wierd at times. The combat doesn't really rely on fast inputs anyway outside of stealth which does to some extent.
I'm completely hooked at the game right now, it's a pretty fresh experience because I haven't played any of Larians earlier games. If they sort out the loading and the mildly infurating bugs I'll be all satisfied.

Lysandros

How about both? Pro console should be running the base console quality mode in 60fps and the base performance mode in "120." Then have their own 30/40fps quality mode profile with more bells and whistles on top of that.
Should? In theory? It's all theory at this point isn't it? Pro consoles/brute force approach is becoming "the" Damocles sword hampering software progression. Why the need for ingenious approches and good programming when corporations can throw new hardware at the problem every year backed by clueless customers? Go on with the vicious circle, why not, if the crowds demand it.

twilo99

Yes, but saying it's an "outaded mobile CPU" is dishonest - it was certainly fine especially for the year it released. It uses the same layout as a 3700X with some minor tweaks, with same core count and 100 mhz slower clock speed compared to the 3700. The result is that it performs more like a 3600X.

Consoles are supposed to be designed for a 6-7 year cycle so the CPU being fine for the year it was released is incredibly short sighted when it comes to console design.

Leonidas

Good to see a modern PC game humble old 2019 CPU cores :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

PS5 version was running slower than 3600 non-X 6 core Zen2 in this game in Act 3. The PS5 CPU is not the same layout as 3700X. PS5 only has 8 MB of CPU cache, vs. 32 of the 3700X.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Should? In theory? It's all theory at this point isn't it? Pro consoles/brute force approach is becoming "the" Damocles sword hampering software progression. Why the need for ingenious approches and good programming when corporations can throw new hardware at the problem every year backed by clueless customers? Go on with the vicious circle, why not, if the crowds demand it.
You'd still have to optimize for the base console with the lead in sales. I'm okay with the Pro brute forcing said base console quality mode at 60fps and having their own quality mode optimized for it on top of that. Granted, it would be first party still putting out that well polished software, and select third parties here and there.

Have no problem playing Act 3 at 1080p, 60 fps on a 3070.
considering i only have 1080p displays (tvs and monitors) and a 3060ti, i am fine. People have become 4k snobs. I keep saying it, but 4k was pushed way to fast, just to sell tvs. Our tech isn't ready for that and our graphics suffer. 1080p sets look fine, plus I get 60fps all day and ray tracing, and the works, without breaking the bank.

Now for bg3, I am still in act 1, just barely out of the grove so we will see.

feynoob

Banned
I think the pro needs better cpu first.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

There is no reason KBM couldn't be supported on PS5. Wonder if support will be there for Xbox release.
Especially when KBM is supported at system level, devs just need to map a profile for it.
You'd get a lot more KBM support on consoles if the systems weren't geared and marketed for people to sit on a sofa putting their feet up on an ottoman. Pretty hard to use KBM like that.

The console gamers willing to do KBM are probably ones who sit at a desk using a high quality PC monitor. Everyone else is slumming it slouching on a couch.

StereoVsn

You'd get a lot more KBM support on consoles if the systems weren't geared and marketed for people to sit on a sofa putting their feet up on an ottoman. Pretty hard to use KBM like that.

The console gamers willing to do KBM are probably ones who sit at a desk using a high quality PC monitor. Everyone else is slumming it slouching on a couch.
There are wireless keyboard mouse setups for the couch. I have Razer Turret for Xbox, for example, which works fine for PS5 as well, btw.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are wireless keyboard mouse setups for the couch. I have Razer Turret for Xbox, for example, which works fine for PS5 as well, btw.
I dont doubt things work. But when it comes to that kind of stuff, when has any console maker promoted wireless KBM? If anything they promote selling $70 gamepads and Elite controllers worth double..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont doubt things work. But when it comes to that kind of stuff, when has any console maker promoted wireless KBM? If anything they promote selling $70 gamepads and Elite controllers worth double..
That's not what we are discussing here. The consoles support it at system level where devs can choose to easily profile it there. There are a ton of popular and non-popular games that have that support. Especially shooters.

Fortnite has the exact same options and fine tuning support for the consoles that they do on the PC.

I would not be surprised when they patch KBM in down the road.

I remember those war-torn days where if you looked the right way through a sniper scope in a bush in Hitman 3 the XSX version would drop to 40fps and the sky was falling. Now dozens of hours of the final act of a game running at 20-30fps in performance mode is a "fine port" - my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Last edited:
Dropping to 18fps is kinda hilarious to see.

Then again my 5800X3D was dropping to 50s too in that area.
huge difference between 18fps which is pretty much a slideshow and 50's which is fine for this type of game. How is this acceptable performance in 2023 on any platform?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's not what we are discussing here. The consoles support it at system level where devs can choose to easily profile it there. There are a ton of popular and non-popular games that have that support. Especially shooters.

Fortnite has the exact same options and fine tuning support for the consoles that they do on the PC.

I would not be surprised when they patch KBM in down the road.
Thats the thing. Many games dont support it because a lot of gamers dont care for it or even know about it can be done. So game studios just make consoles have gamepad controls as default and maybe it gets lucky with MKB support.

S0ULZB0URNE

Not bad (Ultra settings FTW), but as always...would be better if weaker denominators weren't apart of the development process.

avin

Yes, I think performance is actually impressive, all things considered, but the lack of KbM support is really puzzling for this game. Some people can play this with controller alone, but I just don't want to do that.

Anyone test cross-save with PC? I haven't seen that in either of the two PS5 threads. I can see myself still wanting it also on console, but only if cross-save works really well.

avin

MarkMe2525

Does the PS5 support m/k for any games? Excuse my ignorance

Edit: I see it does. Strange of them to remove support. Weird

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yes, I think performance is actually impressive, all things considered, but the lack of KbM support is really puzzling for this game. Some people can play this with controller alone, but I just don't want to do that.

Anyone test cross-save with PC? I haven't seen that in either of the two PS5 threads. I can see myself still wanting it also on console, but only if cross-save works really well.

avin
Yep, and they already have that setup for PC anyways!

Reportedly cross-save works fine. If course if you use mods on PC, YMMV.

I don't think you are wrong.

Yes i mean blaming Sony for not providing tech support isn't correct in my opinion. The devs could have received it from them and didn't talk about. The only reason why we heard it from Xbox of things is due to the parity clause and the split screen feature.

Ultra Donny

Yes i mean blaming Sony for not providing tech support isn't correct in my opinion. The devs could have received it from them and didn't talk about. The only reason why we heard it from Xbox of things is due to the parity clause and the split screen feature.
I'm sorry for blaming Sony.

Top Bottom