• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

I'm with you with the godrays full screen colour grading - it looks terrible and hazy. In fact, I'm finding that it cuts in and out in certain areas (the haziness) which is even more distracting. I definitely prefer just have the rays or even being about to adjust the density of the haziness. I also thought it was buggy considering how foggy it is.

It's especially terrible in the Shangri-la missions, I don't have any left to jump into to take screens but there it honestly makes me think there's a bug with the rendering with how out of control it is in regards to degrading color accuracy/black levels and with the other lighting issues the game has I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Has anybody managed to get a consistent 60fps on a 780 at 1440p? What settings will I have to sacrifice? I am kind of tempted but its expensive and I want to know if I will have a hard time getting it to run well. I have seen benchmarks say around 40fps on ultra.

My specs:
i7 2700k
GTX 780
8GB RAM

vivekTO

Lower your textures if you haven't already done so, the game requires more than 2GB for ultra.
Aside from that you could try lowering geometry, environment and shadows.

Textures - very high
Rest are Ultra, Thanks for the tip.I tried it my self there is gain of 5-4 frames only.

It's especially terrible in the Shangri-la missions, I don't have any left to jump into to take screens but there it honestly makes me think there's a bug with the rendering with how out of control it is in regards to degrading color accuracy/black levels and with the other lighting issues the game has I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Well obviously you know that with Sli there's an issue with the shadows (crushed blacks) etc.

This is the bug I was talking about - when the fogginess just disappears for seemingly no reason:

http://i.imgur.com/lFBDHua.png

I take a step left:

http://i.imgur.com/nVaZzZl.png

It can't be implemented correctly if this is happening. and the thing is, it happens a lot and is just a sharp disappearance, so its distracting as fck.

So between this game (and mainly its stutter issue) and AC:Unity which has pop-in and performance and other issues AND also Dragon Age: Inquisition that has flickering and poor SLi scaling - I'm really at wits end as to what I should play and what I should wait to play :p

Seanspeed

Banned
Of course it's a matter of preference, just about every post processing effect is, my real hang up with it is that the godray setting is for whatever reason tied to some full screen color grading which is absolutely not to my tastes as opposed to just enabling light shafts.
Those do look quite bad in those examples.

Well obviously you know that with Sli there's an issue with the shadows (crushed blacks) etc.

This is the bug I was talking about - when the fogginess just disappears for seemingly no reason:

http://i.imgur.com/lFBDHua.png

I take a step left:

http://i.imgur.com/nVaZzZl.png

It can't be implemented correctly if this is happening. and the thing is, it happens a lot and is just a sharp disappearance, so its distracting as fck.

So between this game (and mainly its stutter issue) and AC:Unity which has pop-in and performance and other issues AND also Dragon Age: Inquisition that has flickering and poor SLi scaling - I'm really at wits end as to what I should play and what I should wait to play :p
I went to that area and it looks like it has something to do with the camera's proximity to the mountain.

Godrays on said:
farcry4_2014_11_24_05xnd1u.png
Godrays off said:
Godrays on but a few steps away from the mountain said:

There's still color grading happening but it's significantly less pronounced

Damian.

Banned
If I could return this to GMG, I'd be tempted to pick up the PS4 version instead. At least it's playable.

Never understood this nonsense, if you have a good PC just lock it to 30 and you get a significantly upgraded PS4 version that runs about the same. The biggest issue is running the game at 60 with its inherent problems.

I went to that area and it looks like it has something to do with the camera's proximity to the mountain.

There's still color grading happening but it's significantly less pronounced

It is not color grading, rather the fact that the fog is volumetrically everywhere. Hence if you are in shadow whilst taking a screenshot with it of / on, it will look the same basically.

If you are not in shadow, you will be seeing through the medium of the volumetric fog... hence the "colour grading."

Also, those steps leading up to the mountain shots with godrays on... does it just flicker there or something?

I think the god rays effect looks fantastic and very realistic. Its not a haze, its more of a glare that is added, which is realistic. When its very sunny, glare and reflection off of any/all surfaces of the light from the sun does cause a sort of haze effect to your vision, so I think the effect in game is pretty cool. Removing it is like wearing a pair of sunglasses that filter out glare, if that makes sense.

Anyway I think it looks cool and fairly realistic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
1.4 has released and is 33MB. No patch notes since Ubi has neither posted them anywhere nor updated the game's support readme.

Kezen

Banned
1.4 has released and is 33MB. No patch notes since Ubi has neither posted them anywhere nor updated the game's support readme.

http://far-cry.ubi.com/en-us/news/live-updates-detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-185596-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

We've heard the community and are pleased to say that we have been able to remedy the issue (identified in our Known Issues list yesterday) causing some PC versions of Far Cry 4 to go directly to a black screen due to the presence of external USB devices. Some have been able to temporarily fix this problem by disabling USB devices and certain drivers, but we realize this is in no way ideal. For that reason, this Friday, November 21st, we'll be releasing Patch 1.4.0 for PC that should remedy the problem and allow PC players to enjoy the game as normal.

Though Patch 1.4.0 will contain additional fixes on release, we wanted to let users know that the black screen issue has been tackled. An update containing the full list of fixes will be posted to the blog prior to the patch being released on Friday.

Never understood this nonsense, if you have a good PC just lock it to 30 and you get a significantly upgraded PS4 version that runs about the same. The biggest issue is running the game at 60 with its inherent problems.

My PC is first and foremost my preferred platform. If I wanted to play FC4 at 30fps, I certainly would not have invested in a GTX 970, and opted to purchase Ubisoft's title on what is obviously a more powerful piece of hardware. Plug and play on the PS4, for me, is simply preferable to the frustration of this game on the PC right now.

Just a pro-tip moving forward, what you label as "nonsense" is actually known as an opinion. Welcome to the internet... where these opinions (that may at times differ from your own) abound.

JaseC

Kezen

Banned
That same post is on Steam Community. As it says:

We don't know what these fixes are because there are no patch notes. With past games -- including Unity -- Ubi has kept the support readme up-to-date, but Far Cry 4's hasn't been updated once.

Oh my bad. :/

Damian.

Banned
My PC is first and foremost my preferred platform. If I wanted to play FC4 at 30fps, I certainly would not have invested in a GTX 970, and opted to purchase Ubisoft's title on what is obviously a more powerful piece of hardware. Plug and play on the PS4, for me, is simply preferable to the frustration of this game on the PC right now.

Just a pro-tip moving forward, what you label as "nonsense" is actually known as an opinion. Welcome to the internet... where these opinions (that may at times differ from your own) abound.

True, but I can point out nonsense when it is stated by someone. ;)

NIN90

Are you sure what you are feeling isn't just the mouse acceleration? I also thought it might have had some aim assist left over from the gamepad (like Watch_Dogs) but I made sure everything relating to aim assist was turned off and did some testing on enemies. I found that it still felt bad but it was not due to slowing when near an enemy, but just because when fine aiming you generally move the mouse slower and the insane amount of mouse acceleration present meant that would slow down the cursor a lot.

I've only noticed the mouse slowing down ever so slightly when getting close to an enemy. It's really throwing me off.

An option in the xml

Said option being?

Post patch has done nothing for the stuttering on my end as the game still spikes and drops regardless of quality settings.

Even halving the framerate and attempting to lock at 30 doesn't hold.

Frustrating doesn't begin to describe the FarCry 4 PC experience thus far.

zXe

I recommend people try this out, I did it and it made mouse movement much better, even after having set smoothing and acceleration lines to 0 in the GamerProfile.xml

http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/2n5w68/far_cry_4_mouse_fix_tested_on_103

I can't say I've really noticed any mouse stutter, but still there are still drops quite often. But check out that guide and see if it improves things for you, as I say, I definitely think it has made the mouse much better now.

phinious

2500k at stock speeds
8gb ddr3
Gtx 970

Settings ultra
Vsync on

60 fps solid.

Really a great game! Loads are fast on disc drive or SSD in my experience.

zXe

2500k at stock speeds
8gb ddr3
Gtx 970

Settings ultra
Vsync on

60 fps solid.

Really a great game! Loads are fast on disc drive or SSD in my experience.
I don't believe you. Not constant 60fps without drops.Sorry but no.

edit - assuming 1080p minimum res.

Vuze

So, is Hairworks included in the 33mb patch? Can't test it right now but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing lol

Phinor

Now they need to deploy the patch to Uplay too. It's slightly annoying that they force users to use that software and then they support other platforms (Steam) better than their own platform.

Not that the patch fixes any of the issues (mouse&stuttering) I have but still.

Now they need to deploy the patch to Uplay too. It's slightly annoying that they force users to use that software and then they support other platforms (Steam) better than their own platform.

Not that the patch fixes any of the issues (mouse&stuttering) I have but still.

The damnedest thing, when I logged into my FC4 on you Uplay this morning, it installed the patch which I verified in the lower left corner on the main screen.

After exiting out, making a few more (futile) tweaks and then returning to Uplay, it again downloaded the patch(?) and now I'm on 1.3 again?

What's going on, Ubi? It seems as though someone's asleep at the wheel.

JaseC

I recommend people try this out, I did it and it made mouse movement much better, even after having set smoothing and acceleration lines to 0 in the GamerProfile.xml

http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/2n5w68/far_cry_4_mouse_fix_tested_on_103

I can't say I've really noticed any mouse stutter, but still there are still drops quite often. But check out that guide and see if it improves things for you, as I say, I definitely think it has made the mouse much better now.

Ta, added to OP.

phinious

I don't believe you. Not constant 60fps without drops.Sorry but no.

edit - assuming 1080p minimum res.

It's 1080p. I'm just using fraps, not sure if it is super accurate. It's like 56 fps for the first few seconds after loading. 60 fps constant after. I dunno, maybe I haven't gotten to the really crazy scenes with 100s of people running around yet.

I really have no reason to lie.

This shit is so expected at this point I don't even consider buying a PC game until at least a month has passed. The only annoying thing is if I get sucked into following a game's problems at release, because then it adds the anxiety of figuring out whether and when they've fixed the problems. Normally they're fixed one way or another, but it still adds unnecessary uncertainty.

Post patch has done nothing for the stuttering on my end as the game still spikes and drops regardless of quality settings.

Even halving the framerate and attempting to lock at 30 doesn't hold.

Frustrating doesn't begin to describe the FarCry 4 PC experience thus far.
Have you tried DisableLoadingMip0 ="1"
it fixed the stuttering for me. The game has been running excellently on my SLI 670's for several days.

this game is a disaster on pc
wtf is this bullshit.

rBose

Banned
Can anyone else confirm this fixed their stutter problem?

Patch 1.4.0 has been released, and is now available for download.

Patch Notes:
Fixed the "black screen" issue PC players were experiencing when certain USB peripherals were plugged in.
Fixed the "grey screen" issue some PC players were may have encountered after the Outpost Master Mission.
If you are still experiencing a black screen on launch, please contact Customer Support..

This is a PC only patch, and you should be seeing Version 1.4.0 in the bottom left of the Main Menu if it's been successfully installed. If you are playing Far Cry 4 on a different platform, your version number will be different.

Nothing besides 2 fixes
I guess Hairworks will either come as a DLC or as a useless addon since people have already finished the game or will finish it in the following days

Dr Dogg

What's really funny is that Ubisoft even gives Steam managed versions of it's titles preferential treatment over it's own service, Uplay. Just fired it up now and no patch available and still version 1.3.0. Why they even bother with this White Elephant I'll never know.

riflen

To save people some hassle, unparking cores is unnecessary if you're using Windows 8 and above. Just make sure the Power profile is set to high performance, which should already be set if you're playing games on it.

rBose

Banned
Nothing works when it comes to fixing the microstutter or performance in general besides that mipmap which sets your textures to medium.

The game is broken unfortunately :(...

I'm getting stuttering unless I put everything on low. even when i locked it at 30 on Ultra or high, i get stuttering.

i7 920 at 3.4
12gb ram
stock 780

this is annoying!

Patch 1.4.0 has been released, and is now available for download.

Patch Notes:
Fixed the "black screen" issue PC players were experiencing when certain USB peripherals were plugged in.
Fixed the "grey screen" issue some PC players were may have encountered after the Outpost Master Mission.
If you are still experiencing a black screen on launch, please contact Customer Support..

This is a PC only patch, and you should be seeing Version 1.4.0 in the bottom left of the Main Menu if it's been successfully installed. If you are playing Far Cry 4 on a different platform, your version number will be different.

Nothing besides 2 fixes
I guess Hairworks will either come as a DLC or as a useless addon since people have already finished the game or will finish it in the following days

wasnt the black screen issue only occurring with the 1.4 patch they recalled last week? so really its just 1 fix?

If your game still stutters try unparking your cores http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility worked for me on my machine i5 4670k 8gb r9 290x

To save people some hassle, unparking cores is unnecessary if you're using Windows 8 and above. Just make sure the Power profile is set to high performance, which should already be set if you're playing games on it.

Would the Core Unparking also apply to AMD CPUs on Windows 7? I don't have the game but a friend plays it on a AMD Phenom II x4 955 and also complained about hitching paired with a 7870 so I wondered if that could help him :eek:

Also out of curiosity since this topic came up, would there be any cases where Core Parking is automatically disabled under Windows 7 with Intel CPUs? I have a i5 3570k with Windows 7 64bit and looked into Core Unparking several times before for other games only to find out that my cores are seemingly never parked o.o

My Power Plan is set to Balanced as I dislike how High Performance makes my CPU never downclock even when I'm just browsing in Firefox :/

ELCID777

Neo Member
a 660 is not providing a better experience in this title. maybe get a clue. he wont be able to run any of the nvidia effects or even the scaled up general pc options. he doesnt have enough horse power to downsample enough(at all in this case) to match the level of aa and temporal stability of the ps4s HRAA. its impossible for him to have an image at playable settings that looks as good as ps4.

ps4 will look better than anything you can get out of your pc.

Utter crap.

Even a GPU like the 750ti can match PS4 settings (high according to DF) at 1080p/30fps.

there's no problem whatsoever running Far Cry 4 on high settings and achieving a 1080p30 presentation on hardware as lowly as a sub-£100 GeForce GTX 750 Ti

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-far-cry-4-face-off

A GTX 660 is more powerful than both the PS4 and 750ti, so what on earth makes someone think they'd get an inferior to the console experience with a 660?

HRAA makes everything look overly soft and slightly blurry. The PS4 version doesn't have volumetric lighting or God Rays either. And both console versions seem to have a weird bluish filter applied to the image.

His PC should be able to play the game with everything on high and maybe even with one or two of the exclusive PC features enabled at 1080p/30fps just fine, matching and surpassing the PS4/console versions.

Top Bottom