• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition is kinda overwhelming, should I have played the first 2?

I don't completely understand what's going on in the story right now, I'm a few hours in(currently in Redcliffe). I'm basically struggling to understand all these weird terms, names and references to (what I think is) past stuff, should I take a quick look through a wiki or will things get explained later on in the game? Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention earlier in the game and they did explain it.

Take your time and dont rush through quests....the codex also brings out so much info for you if you ever want to learn more about the world...

Moff

well you don't need to.
like most games today, although it's a sequel it tells its own story and everything is explained.

still, I havent played another game in a long time where it was so useful to know and have played the first games. it really takes a lot from them and the setting, lore and important conflincts are much easier to understand if you played the other games

but even if you played those, the game will still be overwhelming, because there are so many places to go and many quests to do.

This is why I'm unsure about getting this game. I've only played an hour or so of the first one, but I haven't played the second. Is it necessary to play the first two to understand and enjoy this one?

*edit* answered above.

This is why I'm unsure about getting this game. I've only played an hour or so of the first one, but I haven't played the second. Is it necessary to play the first two to understand and enjoy this one?
No. There's some backstory but overall the events in this game are standalone

I'm early in the game, but the codex has a lot of info about the previous games and lore in general. That being said I'm glad I decided to play the first two games in prep for this one.

I beat the first one and played about 30 percent of two and I don't feel lost. I know you played less than me, but I feel like you could get everything you need from a wiki page.

Kuraudo

Banned
I don't think it's any more overwhelming that DA:O was. That game had pretty extensive lore too and to be honest I didn't get to grips with half of it before I beat the game. These games just have large histories, which detail events prior to the games. Just take your time, talk to your characters, understand that you're out to save the world and have fun exploring.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ive come to it cold too. There's a great Kotaku primer by Kirk Hamilton which is a must read. Also, take your time. Ask questions of everyone and read the codex. I'm about 10 or so hours in and just up to Redcliffe too (I've been wandering around quite a lot) and I'm starting to get the gist of it now. It's still overwhelming , but mainly because the scope of the game is huge.

2San

I haven't played DA:I, but any reason why you have skipped DA:O? It's still an extremely good game and shouldn't be skipped imo.

I don't completely understand what's going on in the story right now, I'm a few hours in(currently in Redcliffe). I'm basically struggling to understand all these weird terms, names and references to (what I think is) past stuff, should I take a quick look through a wiki or will things get explained later on in the game? Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention earlier in the game and they did explain it.

As someone who has played all the Dragon Age games I can see why you may feel a little lost. I find I am alot better at understanding (and remembering) Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls Lore.

I recommend watching the ShoddyCast series of Dragon Age lore videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7pGJQV-jlzAYFb3DMtimVGD3kT1HEVIH They are really well produced and voiced.

I just started playing DA:I, and while I did play and beat DA:O, I have no intentions of playing DA2, since the demo made it seem pretty awful. I hope to understand what's going on without it.

-Snooze-

Banned
You'll only be disappointed by how little your choices in prior games actually matter. Just read the codex, they're quite in depth.

If you dont feel like reading the codex but still want to know more about the world, this post from kotaku is pretty good primer
http://kotaku.com/a-beginners-guide-to-all-things-dragon-age-1658487212

also the dragon age keep
https://dragonagekeep.com/

probably both already been recommended but both are good resources for info. Especially if you hit the play button on the keep, it does a recap of the first two games in a general sense. The kotaku article is more for background and any lingering questions you might have. Hope these help!

Sillverrr

I'm playing through Dragon Age: Origins right now, and having a great time. Story is surprisingly politics-heavy, and TBH I'm preferring that angle to the shoot-bang direction Mass Effect went in. The in-party banter and characters in general are at least as good imho as in Mass Effect. Otherwise it's pretty generic fantasy, but to be honest nothing is original nowadays.

I am planning on skipping Dragon Age 2 though, because I've heard that whilst Inquisition successfully strides the middle ground between exposition and action, DA 2 went for straight-up action and ballsed it up. Please tell me; am I right to pass on the second game?

Edir: thanks, Moff. It'll be a long time before I'm done with the first game. I'll prolly try DA 2, as I'm foremost a characters/story guy when it comes to RPG's. For example, I can switch from Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect quite happily, because both games feature memorable companions and an expansive universe. If it doesn't grip me I'll go straight to Inquisition :)

Phamit

The game is just overwhelming at the beginning, I played the first two games and was still a bit overwhelmed. But you can speak with the companions, read the kodex, so everything you need to know is in the game.

Just take your time and explore the lore.

It's a bit like Star Wars A new Hope, when they talk about the empire, clone Wars and a republik and you don't really understand whats going on.

coughlanio

Take a play session to just sit down and read the codex entries you've unlocked. These provide some nice flavour text that will help you enjoy the lore more. I've played the first two games, but outside of some returning characters and some light references to events in the previous games, the story in Inquisition seems fairly disconnected.

Granted I'm only 6 hours in.

Moff

I am planning on skipping Dragon Age 2 though, because I've heard that whilst Inquisition successfully strides the middle ground between exposition and action, DA 2 went for straight-up action and ballsed it up. Please tell me; am I right to pass on the second game?

DA2 has many faults, but it's certainly not because it was straight-up action. it was critizised for that because it introduced the "hit button for attack" mechanic, and that is still present in inquisition. the combat mechanics in DA2 itself were still as tactical as DA:O.

and since they completely botched the tactical mode in Inquisition and made it very uncomfortable, inquisiton is definitely the game that is the action heaviest.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Maker - God
Andraste - a prophet, believed to be spiritually married to the The Maker. She was killed and is treated as a Christ figure for her teachings
Chantry - church dedicated to Andraste
The Fade - demon world that mages deal with heavily
Darkspawn - basically orcs, the Chantry believes they were created by humans attempting to "conquer heaven", and they were punished for it.
The Blight - basically all the darkspawn coming together to serve and destroy under the rule of the Archdemon - a big dragon god
Grey Wardens - order formed for the express purpose of fighting the darkspawn and the archdemon. They are inducted by drinking darkspawn blood, but not everyone survives this process. Those that do become the Grey Wardens, as they now can "feel" the darkspawn and the Archdemon on an almost telepathic level.
The Circle of Magi - basically all mages are heavily looked down upon for being super dangerous, and the Circle more or less is an organization to "keep them in line" to serve society. They are monitored by the Templars who serve the Chantry.
Apostate - mages not part of the Circle, and are often treated as "rebels" or even criminals.
Blood Mages - mages who deal in blood magic which more or less means them heavily dealing with (or even controlled by) demons. Heavily forbidden against.
Antivan Crows - order of assassins-for-hire
Qunari - big horned dudes. Have been portrayed previously as very traditional/spiritual and not very friendly.
Dalish Elves - elves who still live in their own tribal society in the woods.

I think that's everything I remember about Dragon Age without getting into the names of every place and character in the series...

The Codex can be helpful for all the insane amounts of lore in this series.

As someone who devoured the first two several times, I can attest that knowing the lore doesn't make the game any less overwhelming. It probably couldn't hurt, though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Made it w point to play DA:O before inquisition. Skipped 2 but hoping I'll still be alright.

Going to pick this up after I finish up Far Cry 4, GTAV on PS4 and Halo MCC.

My 4K 65" gets here on Tuesday so I should be in for a treat.

Just go through the Dragon Age Keep, and make sure you don't rush through dialogues. I never got into the first two, and I just made sure to go through the Keep and always select the questions during the dialogues to make sure I understood what they were talking about.

Top Bottom