• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What genre should Naughty Dog tackle next?

ItIsOkBro

Yeah. Judging by the brisk sales of knack, this generation's mostly 18-30 year old male target demographics are just itching for family friendly content. I'm sure Mr Yoshida is just itching to throw that money away. Er, I mean, lead the resurgence of a genre that's already well represented and still niche.

knack isn't that, I'm talking something like banjo-kazooie.

and it doesn't have to be family friendly, like conker's bad fur day.

a game of that nature by naughty dog......guaranteed game of the year.

Kieli

I wish Naughty God would do a Dark Fantasy RPG.

Berserk, Dark Souls, etc...

Straight into my coronary arteries.

sn00zer

Honestly if they keep the same aesthetic and apply it to more open level design Ill be there Day 1......and whoever mention Dark Souls- like exploration god bless you... I am a recent convert to the church of Souls

EDIT: Lol dat bump

There's no need for them to continue with cinematic games, they were first known for Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter. I'd like to see them go back to more colorful and simplistic games. A JRPG would be cool or a puzzle game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
3D platformer. Maybe starring a mascot-like character. They can even add guns and vehicles if they want to.

Ok, let me be more specific.

They should make Jak 4 on PS4.

You're welcome

And I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my wish of a buddy-cop game from Naughty Dog. It would combine the humor of Uncharted with the soul-crushing moments of The Last of Us. I think it's a good genre to use both methods of story telling, whereas soul-crushing moments would not work that well in Uncharted and humor would feel mostly out of place in The Last of Us. Maybe (against Naughty Dog conventions) it could have open-world elements.

They should make a hero focused RTS similar to Warcraft 3, set in a fantasy version of prehistoric times where cavemen battle lizard people (like the B.C. sections of Chrono Trigger), all done in a Jack Kirby inspired art style.

Bandit1

And I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my wish of a buddy-cop game from Naughty Dog. It would combine the humor of Uncharted with the soul-crushing moments of The Last of Us. I think it's a good genre to use both methods of story telling, whereas soul-crushing moments would not work that well in Uncharted and humor would feel mostly out of place in The Last of Us. Maybe (against Naughty Dog conventions) it could have open-world elements.

I'd be down for that.

You're going to get Uncharted and TLOU sequels.

I've been hearing this for quite some time, but I'm not so sure. Naughty Dog seems to do what it wants when it wants, and it's been like that for many years now. Yes, Universal owned Crash so that doesn't count, but they dropped Jak & Daxter after the PS2 era and could have easily plunked out Uncharted 4 in 2013 instead of a brand new IP towards the end of the PS3 lifecycle if making a buck was the primary motivation.

All signs point to Uncharted 4 being the last Uncharted game, and ND has openly said they very well may not follow up to TLOU.

I'd like to see a sci fi themed game for sure.

NEO0MJ

Yeah. Judging by the brisk sales of knack, this generation's mostly 18-30 year old male target demographics are just itching for family friendly content. I'm sure Mr Yoshida is just itching to throw that money away. Er, I mean, lead the resurgence of a genre that's already well represented and still niche.

Knack wasn't even a platformer, more like baby's first God of War.

I've been hearing this for quite some time, but I'm not so sure. Naughty Dog seems to do what it wants when it wants, and it's been like that for many years now. Yes, Universal owned Crash so that doesn't count, but they dropped Jak & Daxter after the PS2 era and could have easily plunked out Uncharted 4 in 2013 instead of a brand new IP towards the end of the PS3 lifecycle if making a buck was the primary motivation.

All signs point to Uncharted 4 being the last Uncharted game, and ND has openly said they very well may not follow up to TLOU.

I'd like to see a sci fi themed game for sure.

They are doing a TLOU movie. I guarantee you will see a sequel. Unless the world suddenly ends, there will be a sequel.

Genre? Whatever TLOU is, because that was good. Hopefully they have some ideas in store for Uncharted because playing through Uncharted 3 right now and the horrible encounter design is going 3-games strong (though finally with pretty good feeling shooting).

Platformer would be nice but not in this day and age :/

Sci-fi open world shooter would be cool. Give me Cowboy Bebop: The Game basically.

I-hate-u

Hack and Slash game that is somehow grounded in reality(or retain their strong written characters), but aim for DMC4 level in complexity.

No developer has reached such a feat.

make a new 3d platformer

that's what they are best at

Jak Series > Uncharted series

come at me
As far as the gameplay goes I'm entitled to agree. Though with only one overall great game in the Jak series the glorious cinematic showpiece of the Uncharted series might just be about equal :p

TLOU greater than both though. Combined even.

NEO0MJ

Hack and Slash game that is somehow grounded in reality(or retain their strong written characters), but aim for DMC4 level in complexity.

No developer has reached such a feat.

By its very nature a complex hack&slash is impossible to ground in reality.

make a new 3d platformer

that's what they are best at

Jak Series > Uncharted series

come at me

They lost a lot of their old staff and they had no idea what to do when they tried rebooting Jak before deciding to make TLOU.

I-hate-u

By its very nature a complex hack&slash is impossible to ground in reality.

They lost a lot of their old staff and they had no idea what to do when they tried rebooting Jak before deciding to make TLOU.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I want to care for the characters like in TLoU, in a high-pace fast action game. Is such thing even possible? Something like Attack on Titan.

photogaz

I love sci-fi in movies, but I don't think I've ever played a sci-fi game that I liked the character design. I hope naughty dog can do it, they certainly did with The last of us as I find monsters in games badly done, but naughty dog did it.

Personally, as much as I think TLOU is the best game I've ever played, I'm not keen on another one.

As far as the gameplay goes I'm entitled to agree. Though with only one overall great game in the Jak series the glorious cinematic showpiece of the Uncharted series might just be about equal :p

TLOU greater than both though. Combined even.

Hey! the original and Jak 3 were great too.

Top Bottom