• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

killercow

Okay so Wicked Lair is fun but broken. I'm doing the unlimited mode and I simply can't die. The heroes can't get past my 5th floor when there are 50 of them...

PittaGAF

Is that the moba? i want the board game for ios =/

Not to hamper hype...but I tried the boardgame (I'm in the beta) and to be honest I wasn't impressed.
Lovely execution but felt soulless...and I even love Witcher lore.
BGG convention reports are unfortunately in the same vein.

Anilones

Did anyone make a Gems of War guild? Also, can you use souls for anything other than levelling characters and what is the purpose of disenchanting?

Sakujou

Banned
Hi i have a question.

Me and my friend do have jailbroken devices.

While i only use teaks for my ipad from cydia and playing emulators such as retroaech, my friend also pirates games for his iphone.

He cant use game center since last week. I asked him if he tried to change the score or something and he denied it...

So if you have pirated games, is apple basically able to ban you?

And because i have a jailbroken device, would apple do the same to me? I dont have any ripped games, i buy them from the itunes store, but since i have apps which shouldnt be on the idevice such as emulators, would apple do this to me too?

killercow

The first episode from Tales from the Borderlands is so so great. Finished it in one sitting and I did not realize that three hours went by!

Cool release to check out

Radium
https://appsto.re/us/Qrnn4.i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzD4z8rsAY
radium1.1.png

Played the PC demo a while back and it was instantly apparent that it was the kind of game that was designed with touch in mind. Basically you attract or repel a ball through levels filled with all kind of hazards, and it has a cool nesting doll style level design. Definitely worth the $2 IMO

PFD

Hi i have a question.

Me and my friend do have jailbroken devices.

While i only use teaks for my ipad from cydia and playing emulators such as retroaech, my friend also pirates games for his iphone.

He cant use game center since last week. I asked him if he tried to change the score or something and he denied it...

So if you have pirated games, is apple basically able to ban you?

And because i have a jailbroken device, would apple do the same to me? I dont have any ripped games, i buy them from the itunes store, but since i have apps which shouldnt be on the idevice such as emulators, would apple do this to me too?

Never heard of Apple 'banning' anyone over jailbreaking.

awp69

Space Hulk is gonna be $2.99 later tonight. I kinda want it but already have been playing a lot of turn-based strategy games with Banner Saga, XCom: Enemy Within and a Kemco SRPG on Android.

So any impressions on Space Hulk? At least worth putting in my infinite backlog?

Space Hulk is gonna be $2.99 later tonight. I kinda want it but already have been playing a lot of turn-based strategy games with Banner Saga, XCom: Enemy Within and a Kemco SRPG on Android.

So any impressions on Space Hulk? At least worth putting in my infinite backlog?
From what I've read, Space Hulk is more of a digital boardgame like Warhammer Quest than a deep tactical strategy game like XCOM
Because this is a video game translation of a board game it’s great about automating the rules of movement and combat, which is much less fiddly and bogged down, but it’s confusingly not clear about some of the rules that it’s hiding behind die-rolls. There’s not really an attempt to explain how the systems governing chance to hit and such work, you just perform actions and hope for the best

JCho133

Some more from the dev of that turn based dungeon game

Thanks ... I love good TB games myself. If this works, I intend to spend a few years making games with this engine. I've actually written rules for a tabletop wargame that was highly praised and I would love to port that over as well. So I'm hoping to use the code (with some obvious updates / tweaks) to do the following types of games over the next couple years:

1 - More medieval dungeon crawlers (some mini games that will be free with ads and probably one more major game). Each of these will be in a unique setting and have unique playable characters and enemies.

2 - Sci-Fi Shooter set in a derelict space craft. This will be a major release of the same scale as this game as opposed to a mini game.

3 - Large Scale medieval battle game where each unit represents a regiment of soldiers and the objective is to build a mercenary army and win a military campaign. There would be slower infantry units, faster cavalry, skirmishers, artillery, flying monsters and such.

4 - Large Scale Sci Fi battle game ... similar to number 3 but with spaceship battles, large scale ground battles with tanks / infantry / aircraft and finally some levels at the infantry skirmish level.

Anway, those are the plans if this initial game works well and is successful. If not, I guess I'll make an infinite runner or something. :rolleyes:

heringer

How is it? I almost grabbed that one.

awp69

From what I've read, Space Hulk is more of a digital boardgame like Warhammer Quest than a deep tactical strategy game like XCOM

Thanks. I actually enjoyed Warhammer Quest. Guess I still consider it like a TBS -- just, as your quote mentioned, with more going on behind the scenes in determining attack strength with "die rolls", etc. I don't know if Space Hulk has a more board gamey feel than WQ though.

Probably will take a chance for $2.99. Just will be a while before I get to it -- not to mention making the space for it.

awp69

How is it? I almost grabbed that one.

Legend of Ixtona is pretty good but I honestly got torn away from it with Banner Saga. It's different than other Kemco RPGs in being even more linear with literally a map with lines drawn between different stages. But it still has fairly deep skill systems and getting items to have research done for stronger weapons.

The actual battles could use some work. I found it a little difficult at times to select the right character and target.

I need to give it some more time eventually. But I'd say it's a good first attempt at a SRPG but not one of their best games as a whole.

JCho133

Thanks. I actually enjoyed Warhammer Quest. Guess I still consider it like a TBS -- just, as your quote mentioned, with more going on behind the scenes in determining attack strength with "die rolls", etc. I don't know if Space Hulk has a more board gamey feel than WQ though.

Probably will take a chance for $2.99. Just will be a while before I get to it -- not to mention making the space for it.

I think Bronxsta is on drugs. WHQ isn't board gamey at all, it is absolutely a TBS. It's basically Hunters in a fantasy setting (so, really good.)

But yes, I've heard that Space Hulk is very board-gamey. I'd pass if I were you.

I'd get Hunters 2 instead. That game is fantastic.

Flunkie

Banned
The first episode from Tales from the Borderlands is so so great. Finished it in one sitting and I did not realize that three hours went by!
I just can't see a Borderlands "tale" being interesting/can't take it seriously. Might check it out when they do the whole first episode is free after they release a couple other episodes thing.

I think Bronxsta is on drugs. WHQ isn't board gamey at all, it is absolutely a TBS. It's basically Hunters in a fantasy setting (so, really good.)

But yes, I've heard that Space Hulk is very board-gamey. I'd pass if I were you.

I'd get Hunters 2 instead. That game is fantastic.
It's literally a direct digital adaption of the Warhammer Quest boardgame, with behind the scene dice rolls, etc.

JCho133

Oh my goodness, YES. 2 guys just came in and roasted the people that were saying an iOS version of Don't Starve wouldn't happen.

One of the names looked familiar... is there a GAF guy in here named t0panka?

PittaGAF

I have both and completed both, plus I played the original boardgames of both back in the days (Space Hulk was recently reprinted so I played that too).
I love both (well...I ADORE Warhammer Quest): know that they are a bit different in gameplay and execution.

Rodeo's implementation of Warhammer Quest, while remaining true to the boardgame, did an excellent job to 'videogame-fy' the game to the point you do not even see the actual dice rolls.
But the rules are all there.

Space Hulk is much more 'boardgame' port...you can see actual dice rolls and everything.

Mechanically, games are pretty different.

While WHQ is a miniature boardgame border lining a (light) RPG, with inventory management, character progression etc...Space Hulk is a plain miniature dungeon crawler.

If you felt WHQ was too 'close combat'....Space Hulk is EONS closer.
Space hulk is all narrow paths and intersections...it's a much more positional/tactical game than WHQ.

Space Hulk has a nice campaign plus expansion (nothing tough like the grand campaign of WHQ spanning over the 3 expansions) AND it has cross platform async multiplayer which, on paper, is pretty awesome.
Or better...it could be awesome BUT for a huge omission....notifications.
You are notified if it's your turn only f you have the game open or your opponent alerts you via GTalk or other external methods, which is pretty annoying.
(I know on PC notifications do not exist and I appreciate cross platform gameplay...but really...boardgame without async and notifications are a no to me).

For less than 3 dollars it is an absolute steal and I would get it if what I told you seems interesting.

Ah...beware....game is BRUTAL, as much as the boardgame.
When I mean brutal....I meant that WHQ hardcore is a cakewalk in the park even after 10 consecutive Black Orcs ambushes.

LET THE COME!!!

RustyO

I think I'm vaguely interested in Space Hulk as well...

Voidance

I'm surprised Twelve a Dozen scored so well -- it looked like a children's learning game when I glanced at it on the App Store. Guess I was too hasty.
On the third level now, and I can say that it has the level of polish you'd expect from a Bossa title. The core mechanic is really clever. Basically different numbers give you different abilities (jump high, swim, push heavy objects) so you need to use special stations to alter your abilities to solve puzzles and navigate through the levels. However these stations can only be used a certain number of times and there are also gates and buttons that only react when you're a specific value so you need to think about what order to combine numbers and use your abilites.

It's the kind of puzzle platformer where you can hopelessly stuck if you're not careful, so thankfully the game lets you rewind back to the closest checkpoint

There's a story, a friendly companion that follows you and comments on your journey, colorful visuals, solid controls, and just a lot of charm. I can see now the levels could grow more challenging.

Think of it like Calculords. Taking something that could be boring and crafting a fun experience around it

Here's a good quote from JayIsGames
With beautiful, fluid visuals, just the right amount of whimsy, and clever math-based platforming puzzles that introduce new elements and challenges the farther you go, Twelve a Dozen isn't just an unexpected gem for all ages... it's an absolute diamond.

...But its unexpected smarts and cheer make Twelve a Dozen stand head and shoulders above most other platformers out there, a ton of fun for absolutely any age

But math is fun!
Ha, I think so. I was in advanced honors algebra and pre-calc in high school. A challenging math problem is like a good puzzle.

And honestly, if Twelve A Dozen was about combining and seperating different colors rather than adding and subtracting numbers, no one would be hesitant or think it's an educational app or something. The game isn't super challenging, more in line with the kind of experience that Thomas Was Alone was.

awp69

Picked up Deep Dungeons of Doom but I get box with some error messages and then just a black screen. Anyone else playing it experience the same issue?

Some cool IGF entries for mobile

D-Bug
http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2015.php?id=8582
A puzzle platformer for the iPad about saving Button, a handheld game system infested by bugs.
NEQbsvGgTcWk0MwONzEf_D-Bug+Screen+-+Button+Please_450.jpg

deLight - out now on Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aronixus.gravityst
This game is a platform game in which you can control the direction of gravity. To finish a level you have to collect all the lights and bring them to a lamp. The game is divided into chapters and each chapter consists of 10 levels. Every time you finish a chapter you make the world brighter. In the game you'll see different game mechanics and obstacles like spikes, moving spheres with spikes on their surface, falling rocks, and falling spikes. So watch your steps because you might get in trouble.
xOjZFzlUW_E3tEWhj9pinZ6hTcpSkw_shsRAK9Hrp-XC6r2bB54QgJtzFc35XxarHQ=h900-rw

Top Bottom