• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

Thanks, but any suggestion on things/sites that are not apps themselves?

My personal setup is appshopper.com and the "new" and "price drops" rss feeds into Chrome.

I normally don't bother to track anything specific (which that site will let you do), I just check the feeds and see what is going on.

JCho133

My goodness. The gaming community outside of iOS is stupid.

I honestly think the most intelligent gamers are the ones that praise the iOS platform. Everyone else calls stuff "stupid phone games" and think iOS is a ridiculously weak platform.

On the Klei forums, a bunch of people said that iOS probably wouldn't be able to run a console/PC game like Don't Starve, so I called them out and brought up XCOM, the Banner Saga, FTL, and This War of Mine.

^^^
And KOTOR and San Andreas and Bioshock and Goat Simulator and Stealth Bastard Inc and Counterspy and...

I think ignorance and lack of knowledge about what kind of games are actually on IOS are the main factors for that mentality. If you think a platform is shit, why would you have an interest in learning what games are on it besides the most known and obvious? And in IOS' case, if you don't actively read mobile-focused sites and keep track of what's in development, the most obvious are games like Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, Clash of Clans, the stuff that rules the charts and are synonymous with "mobile"

I'll be honest, I used to have the same mindset involving Wii and Nintendo consoles. Stupid motion control games and stuff for kids, why would I care about those games? Didn't have any interest in Nintendo games and consoles for the longest time, until this year really. Now I'm seriously debating between a Wii U and a PS4.

heringer

My goodness. The gaming community outside of iOS is stupid.

I honestly think the most intelligent gamers are the ones that praise the iOS platform. Everyone else calls stuff "stupid phone games" and think iOS is a ridiculously weak platform.

On the Klei forums, a bunch of people said that iOS probably wouldn't be able to run a console/PC game like Don't Starve, so I called them out and brought up XCOM, the Banner Saga, FTL, and This War of Mine.

That's just silly. There are legitimate reasons to not like the platform. No one is forced to like something and that shouldn't be a criteria for judging anyone's intelligence.

JCho133

Precisely, it's utter bullshit.

Part of their argument is that the game runs terribly on Vita, which is a platform "made specifically for gaming, so there's no way an iPad would be able to run it well." This is partly understandable, but obviously those saying it have no knowledge of the PC and console games that iOS runs.

Also, one guy even said "Please don't make Don't Starve a phone game."

Like shut the f*ck up! It's just another God damn platform and it's still gonna be the same flippin game on your $2000 custom PC with a liquid coolant system, so just shut your mouth and let the game come to whatever platforms the devoloper chooses and keep playing Battlefield 4 on ultimate settings, you ignorant twat.

JCho133

Didn't have any interest in Nintendo games and consoles for the longest time, until this year really. Now I'm seriously debating between a Wii U and a PS4.

You're welcome for that one buddy ;)

That's just silly. There are legitimate reasons to not like the platform. No one is forced to like something and that shouldn't be a criteria for judging anyone's intelligence.

Okay, I'll admit, that was a pretty hypocritically ignorant way to put it.

I think ignorant, or bigoted is a better word, as 90% of those that I'm speaking of dislike and sh*t on the platform for completely biased, unpacked, and uninformed reasons.

Precisely, it's utter bullshit.

Part of their argument is that the game runs terribly on Vita, which is a platform "made specifically for gaming, so there's no way an iPad would be able to run it well." This is partly understandable, but obviously those saying it have no knowledge of the PC and console games that iOS runs.
Ipads outclassed the vita a while ago.

This War of Mine is going to be on iOS?
Yeah, devs have said they're also working on a tablet/mobile version. And going by the UI and controls, game is already perfect for touch controls. All you do need to do is click or double click, and everything has nice big icons

Matt Frost

New Monument Valley DLC chapter "Ida´s (RED) Dream" for the (RED) HIV campaign going on. Its 99c and looks like it has a few new levels. Only lasts until December 7th...

screen322x572.jpeg

Also, S U N B U R N ! is going into my Game of the Year list. Is a game Bronxsta would love for sure. Indie love.

screen520x924.jpeg

killercow

New Monument Valley DLC chapter "Ida´s (RED) Dream" for the (RED) HIV campaign going on. Its 99c and looks like it has a few new levels.

Edit: Only lasts until December 7th...

screen322x572.jpeg

Also, S U N B U R N ! is going into my Game of the Year list. Is a game Bronxsta would love for sure. Indie love.

screen520x924.jpeg

Threes,cut the rope 2 and Rayman Fiesta Run have also been updated with (RED).

Matt Frost

And Star Walk 2 as well adding Mars in 3D (3€ though), looks cool... the Threes! update is awesome, cementing my thoughts on it being on my GotY list... that so far looks like this...

Kingdom Rush Origins
Leos Fortune
Monument Valley
Space Expedition
Mr Particle-Man
Sunburn!
Splot
Threes!
Space Age
Out There

mrkgoo

Can anyone who played Game Dev Story by Kariosoft confirm something for me?

I updated the app via iTunes a few days ago, and as per usual it dumps the old app into the trash.

But for some reason, where most apps are called like "Angry Birds x.x.x.ipa", Game DEv story was labelled as "gm08f22e x.x.x.ipa".

Why is that? is that normal? Is this what the name of the file itself is labelled for anyone else BEFORE the current version? (current is 1.2.0, and is labelled "Game D Story x.x.x.ipa". (you can check by right clicking and "get info" on the app in iTunes and selecting "file", OR navigate to your mobile applications folder in Finder.

I've only ever downloaded things from the App Store.

While I'm here, I bought the new Monument Valley level - it says only until December 7, does that mean you simply can't buy it after that date, or that it actually will be deleted from your app?

killercow

Can anyone who played Game Dev Story by Kariosoft confirm something for me?

I updated the app via iTunes a few days ago, and as per usual it dumps the old app into the trash.

But for some reason, where most apps are called like "Angry Birds x.x.x.ipa", Game DEv story was labelled as "gm08f22e x.x.x.ipa".

Why is that? is that normal? Is this what the name of the file itself is labelled for anyone else BEFORE the current version? (current is 1.2.0, and is labelled "Game D Story x.x.x.ipa". (you can check by right clicking and "get info" on the app in iTunes and selecting "file", OR navigate to your mobile applications folder in Finder.

I've only ever downloaded things from the App Store.

While I'm here, I bought the new Monument Valley level - it says only until December 7, does that mean you simply can't buy it after that date, or that it actually will be deleted from your app?

It means that you won't be able to buy it after that date. It won't be removed from your app.

flowsnake

It's weird for it to be a limited time thing, it feels like part of the game.

Maybe they will just relabel it after the charity promotion.

Corgi

Banned
Monument Valley being RED finally might get me to buy it.

I know I'm all for games being less iap and more base cost but so many games I want are like $4 up so the cost adds up lol.

Is Monument Valley an actual game or just some pretty immersive experience thing

I've been eyeing Monument Valley for a while, as well. My question is that it seems like if I buy the base game, the (Red) expansion comes with it?

Does it include the previous expansion or are those IAP? If so, how much are they?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've been eyeing Monument Valley for a while, as well. My question is that it seems like if I buy the base game, the (Red) expansion comes with it?

Does it include the previous expansion or are those IAP? If so, how much are they?

If you buy the game now, you get the (RED) expansion for free, if already own the game and want it, it's 69p. The additional expansion is a £1.49 IAP regardless. I'm not sure of US pricing but adjust accordingly. Probably $2 for the expansion, $1 for the (RED) level.

PittaGAF

After weeks of stop, waiting for Omega (the free expansion), yesterday I replayed for first time in a while Out There.
Had a wonderful run...in the end I opted for the easy ending because I still missed 'things' for red and blu was a bit too difficult for that specific run (all where in the same range).

Still awesome.
Experience was enhanced by having just saw Gravity (mediocre, but it pumped me up to play) and by the fact I forgot many of the encounters.

Omega can't arrive soon enough.

ferr

Vainglory getting much play by gaffers? Never played MOBAs much, but I'm finding this pretty fun. Been playing as Joule mostly.. starting to experiment with different builds other than what shows up in the rec list, but the rec list is pretty good as is.

JCho133

After weeks of stop, waiting for Omega (the free expansion), yesterday I replayed for first time in a while Out There.
Had a wonderful run...in the end I opted for the easy ending because I still missed 'things' for red and blu was a bit too difficult for that specific run (all where in the same range).

Still awesome.
Experience was enhanced by having just saw Gravity (mediocre, but it pumped me up to play) and by the fact I forgot many of the encounters.

Omega can't arrive soon enough.

You thought Gravity was... mediocre?

It was

Visually awesome, some really intense moments, but besides that, it was just okay. Not something I'd watch again. I laughed out loud when Bullock started barking and the whole "use a fire extinguisher to navigate space" scene was just so ridiculous that it took me out of the movie

Interstellar was better

PittaGAF

Eh, don't get me wrong.
I enjoyed the movie, the idea, the scenes, the pacing, the lonely actors etc...
But...the electronic engineer in myself couldn't avoid thinking the movie is just...let's say...highly improbable.
Now...I play fantasy games, not to mention I love scifi...from Star Wars to Star Trek...so I'm no stranger when it comes to 'improbable' or totally against physics or quantum laws situations...but in a 'realistic-contemporary' setting this hurts a bit more.

When she survive the second crash or pilot in space with the fire extinguisher...I just had a laugh.

I had two good hours anyway...followed by one hour of awesome Out There...so I'm ok :)

okno

Bought Heavy Metal Thunder since it is free and I am broke... I've been eyeing the game since it was originally released, so I was pretty excited to delve into it last night.

Played for about 30-45 minutes and it is freaking awesome. This is my first ever game novel experience and I can see why everyone has been geeking out over them so much. The narrative for HMT is very well written and the sense of danger and suspense is immediately apparent and doesn't let up. I was really surprised at how much "game" there actually is in the game, as well. I always assumed these things worked just like a choose your own adventure novel where you would have 1-3 choices on what to do, some leading you to glory and some killing you right away. The fact that it works similarly to an RPG is just really cool and it's implemented in a fairly seamless fashion.

I haven't made it very far into the game; I've only finished the first section and 38/490 sections of chapter 1. I'm going on vacation tomorrow until Sunday, so this is going to be the perfect little companion for me. Me thinks I am going to go ahead and buy the inkle Adventures! bundle right now for $11.99. Comes with: 80 Days, Sworcery 1/2 and Down Among the Dead Men. Is this a good idea or would anyone recommend something over that?

kwheaties

If you buy the game now, you get the (RED) expansion for free, if already own the game and want it, it's 69p. The additional expansion is a £1.49 IAP regardless. I'm not sure of US pricing but adjust accordingly. Probably $2 for the expansion, $1 for the (RED) level.

Where does it say this? I never bought MV, but it shows RED as a $0.99 IAP...

PittaGAF

Bought Heavy Metal Thunder since it is free and I am broke... I've been eyeing the game since it was originally released, so I was pretty excited to delve into it last night.

Played for about 30-45 minutes and it is freaking awesome. This is my first ever game novel experience and I can see why everyone has been geeking out over them so much. The narrative for HMT is very well written and the sense of danger and suspense is immediately apparent and doesn't let up. I was really surprised at how much "game" there actually is in the game, as well. I always assumed these things worked just like a choose your own adventure novel where you would have 1-3 choices on what to do, some leading you to glory and some killing you right away. The fact that it works similarly to an RPG is just really cool and it's implemented in a fairly seamless fashion.

I haven't made it very far into the game; I've only finished the first section and 38/490 sections of chapter 1. I'm going on vacation tomorrow until Sunday, so this is going to be the perfect little companion for me. Me thinks I am going to go ahead and buy the inkle Adventures! bundle right now for $11.99. Comes with: 80 Days, Sworcery 1/2 and Down Among the Dead Men. Is this a good idea or would anyone recommend something over that?

I'm almost at the end of HMT and I second this.
Game is really engaging and the limited inventory thing makes it much more 'gamey' than usual choose your own adventure games.
I can't say I'm a fan of digital choose your own adventures but I'm really enjoying HMT.
The only one I really enjoyed before was Sorcery.

I think you could like the Sorcery series too (even if it's pretty different from HMT)...inventory is different (more like unique objects to pass unique spots than the usable inventory of HMT) but the combat has a nice 'gamey' mechanic.
It's gorgeous to look at too, with awesome music and sounds (I wish HMT had more sounds effects).

Top Bottom