• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

AniHawk

So from the latest sales figure of Wii U, how does it compare to GameCube/N64 sales launch aligned?

I am not sure if Zelda next year can boost the hardware as much as MK 8 and Smash Bros.

to put things one way, the n64 was only slightly less successful than the super nes in the united states. the gamecube was a little more than half as successful as the n64. the wii u will be about half as successful as the gamecube.

kyser73

Its no PS4 but lets not act like a price drop would do "nothing", they can still get a reasonable amount of sales outside of US and they should continue to aim for that. They will be dropping the price and trying to get what they can.

Not sure they should do a UK price drop though, it would probably end up raising the price right now...

There was a thread recently which had some pictures of a German retailer who'd dropped the price on the X to something like euro330, and it STILL wasn't selling.

These are retailers dropping the prices themselves in order to shift existing stock, nothing official, and it isn't working.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't wrap my head around the fact that Captain Toad had an NPD month of 250k while Bayonetta 2 (incl. Bayonetta 1) struggled to even reach 70k.

It seems consumers are much more receptive to Nintendo developed franchises as oppose to third-party offerings via Nintendo funding.

Maybe the comparison is not just as one title is more niche compared to its counterpart, but what message will Nintendo take from this? Stay the course and develop a more robust, but Ninty software ecosystem?

Quoted for next page, sorry.

Anth0ny

So from the latest sales figure of Wii U, how does it compare to GameCube/N64 sales launch aligned?

I am not sure if Zelda next year can boost the hardware as much as MK 8 and Smash Bros.

It absolutely can't. I don't see any software that has been announced besides Zelda providing a significant boost to Wii U hardware sales this year. 2014 was the peak of this thing's life.

C4Lukins

i imagined it and turned out no one gave a shit.

it wasn't until i immigrated to the west that i came to know of a supposedly popular game called halo.

even when the 360 was cheaper the ps3 still outsold the 360 outside na.

Well I guess the other 5 million copies of each game were sold in South America, small islands in the middle of nowhere, and the parralel universe that you reach through the Bermuda triangle.

QaaQer

I can't wrap my head around the fact that Captain Toad had an NPD month of 250k while Bayonetta 2 (incl. Bayonetta 1) struggled to even reach 70k.

It seems consumers are much more receptive to Nintendo developed franchises as oppose to third-party offerings via Nintendo funding.

Maybe the comparison is not just as one title is more niche compared to its counterpart, but what message will Nintendo take from this? Stay the course and develop a more robust, but Ninty software ecosystem?

Kids and families first.

i imagined it and turned out no one gave a shit.

it wasn't until i immigrated to the west that i came to know of a supposedly popular game called halo.

even when the 360 was cheaper the ps3 still outsold the 360 outside na.

Japan is the place that doesn't care. MS has had success in Europe in the past, particularly in the UK. Japan thinks of MS consoles like you think of the shift button on the keyboard... Not at all.

The fanbase just wasn't there for Bayo 2, sadly.

nib95

Banned

Honestly, I think it's more to do with the Bayonetta franchise itself. It has an extremely quirky, unusual, campy style that I personally don't see having mass appeal either way.

And I am sure that will make you feel happy?

Your posts in this thread alone are so disgustingly biased.

How is it biased to state facts? I think MS focusing on NA is great and clearly it's working out well so far. What's biased about that? Do you disagree?

I don't think they should bother outside those regions because I personally don't beleive they can do anything to turn things around there short of getting Fifa exclusive and cutting the price to half the PS4s

I am not sure if Zelda next year can boost the hardware as much as MK 8 and Smash Bros
Someone already posted the LTD GCN comparison earlier in the thread.

But in terms of a holiday season comparison, equivalent GCN Nov/Dec was like more than double Wii U's.
Japan is the place that doesn't care. MS has had success in Europe in the past, particularly in the UK. Japan thinks of MS consoles like you think of the shift button on the keyboard... Not at all.
They actually did manage to grow the Xbox brand a lot last gen. Although it was still like a 10:1 ratio in favour of the PS3.
So overall it probably wasn't worth all the effort and investment.

I feel like I've been reading the same thing for the past 12 NPDs. Xbox is dead, the gap will only widen... Etc. and it's stayed kind of the same the entire time.

Chobel

1385.gif

That was really, really good!

A franchise that sells 10s of millions of copies is "supposedly popular".

Are you for real? Yes Sony is much stronger outside of NA then MS but the 360 actually had great success globaly.

well i came to the west the year the 360 shipped.

yea, the fps that revolutionised console gaming i seriously thought "wtf? people are playing quake and counter strike and not this halo game." was my first impression when people said everyone played halo 1 and 2. i shit you not, i only saw halo as a picture in some magazine and never saw it being played before i migrated.

what i call globally popular is something like gran turismo.

to put things one way, the n64 was only slightly less successful than the super nes in the united states. the gamecube was a little more than half as successful as the n64. the wii u will be about half as successful as the gamecube.
Wow, this sure is one way to put things in perspective.

It absolutely can't. I don't see any software that has been announced besides Zelda providing a significant boost to Wii U hardware sales this year. 2014 was the peak of this thing's life.
This is more likely. Which is a shame =/

Daemul

I feel like I've been reading the same thing for the past 12 NPDs. Xbox is dead, the gap will only widen... Etc. and it's stayed kind of the same the entire time.

It's always the same people who say that stuff. Eventually you just learn to skip past their posts.

well i came to the west the year the 360 shipped.

yea, the fps that revolutionised console gaming i seriously thought "wtf? people are playing quake and counter strike and not this halo game." was my first impression when people said everyone played halo 1 and 2. i shit you not, i only saw halo as a picture in some magazine and never saw it being played before i migrated.

what i call globally popular is something like gran turismo.

Are you from Japan? Because Halo sells millions of units outside the US.

slit

Maybe nothing is the wrong word. Of course it wiuld have some effect but it would be negligble. The X1 is not competitive outside the US. MS IPs are NA centered, there's no real reason for someone to pick an X1 over a PS4 outside NA and the UK (which is basically just a smaller US).

Well I'm sure the Brits love being marginalized like that. lol

I thought Bayo 2 did okay all things considered. I am curious as to what percentage of the Wii U user base bought 2 versus the combined 360/PS3 userbase for those who bought 1.

Bass260

The simple explanation is that one of them fits Nintendo's audience like a glove, vs the other being a more niche and complex offering. Toad's been in multi-million selling games so it's not as if Nintendo fans are unaware of the character, leading to further exposure and more sales.

creamsugar

Other 2014 new games, no bundle, with special edition.

Yoshi > 400k
Friends ~ 400k
Kirby: > 360k
BD > 350k
FL: 142k
Golf: 102k
PVP: 73k
Sonic 3DS: 73k

DKC: > 440k
Musou ~ 370k
B2 < 135k
Sonic WiiU: 68k

NateDrake

Other 2014 new games, no bundle, with special edition.

Yoshi > 400k
Friends ~ 400k
Kirby: > 360k
BD > 350k
FL: 142k
Golf: 102k
PVP: 73k
Sonic 3DS: 73k

DKC: > 440k
Musou ~ 370k
B2 < 135k
Sonic WiiU: 68k
Musou is higher than expected. B2 is lower than I was hoping to see following the holiday season.

nib95

Banned

I'm sorry Empty, but you have to admit this was a good one. Lol.

Top Bottom