• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Killzone Mercenaries. A must play for FPS fans.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Do you mean the game not auto saving at checkpoints? I mean there is an option to quit and save the current checkpoint, and anytime I fumble up, I can always die and restart at said checkpoint.

What build did you typically go with? I find with that ridiculous mobility and stealth armor, the game gives up some surprising resistance in the triggered alarm moments.

Any chance it's resistance burning skies? :p

I think a recent patch fixed it, but when the game first came out you couldn't quit out of a level and load it up at your most recent checkpoint later. You had to go through the entire level in one sitting. Pretty counter productive for a handheld game if you ask me.

I usually have a balanced build. I'm boring. But yeah I should try that. Giving yourself shit armour is probably a good way to add some challenge.

And I said it wasn't shit. I'll give another hint. It's not only on Vita.

I think a recent patch fixed it, but when the game first came out you couldn't quit out of a level and load it up at your most recent checkpoint later. You had to go through the entire level in one sitting. Pretty counter productive for a handheld game if you ask me.

I usually have a balanced build. I'm boring. But yeah I should try that. Giving yourself shit armour is probably a good way to add some challenge.

And I said it wasn't shit. I'll give another hint. It's not only on Vita.

LOL I figured I'd ask :D

Then you're definitely talking about Duke Nukem. Maybe lol

With the stealth armor on, you make 0 noise even while sprinting, and you're fast as hell lol. It's ridiculously fun moving just out of peripheral range on enemies and ambushing them from behind sequentially to take advantage of the silenced weapons. AMAZING for obscene dash in's for interrogation lol.

Melee kills feel so damn satisfying in this game.
I played Wolfenstein TNO right after this and though it also has great melee kills they still didn't feel as satisfying to me.

I feel like it's the sad tragic swan song for the vita. What a wealth of first party titles could have looked like if Sony had stuck with it.

Not only is it the best looking handheld game but it controls and plays great, all thanks to the smooth level design and the that lovely second stick.

The game is short but I enjoyed going back through the levels in different ways and the MP was no slouch either.

GCambridge made a great game, and I hope they get another shot someday on the vita or the PS4.

Sums it rather well. Definitely one of my all time favorite handheld titles on any system... ever

Love it very dearly

Agreed!!! Killzone Mercenary is an Amazing FPS. Only wished that shadowfall was like mercenary. Mercenary had a KZ2 mixed with sandbox style. Shadowfall felt like crysis, and was terribly hard on single player in some spots, not to mention the bad checkpoints.

Would love to have a sequel, but that won't happen :( . Oh and if you play multiplayer there is a dedicated bot mode which is great for when you don't have wifi.

Agreed!!! Killzone Mercenary is an Amazing FPS. Only wished that shadowfall was like mercenary. Mercenary had a KZ2 mixed with sandbox style. Shadowfall felt like crysis, and was terribly hard on single player in some spots, not to mention the bad checkpoints.

Would love to have a sequel, but that won't happen :( . Oh and if you play multiplayer there is a dedicated bot mode which is great for when you don't have wifi.

I've always loved that Guerrilla included bot modes. So much fun, and great prep for the real deal.

I think Mercenary, in terms of story and level design, is my favorite Killzone game. It ends up with one of the most relatable characters (the Vektan bodyguard), a pretty well handled young character, and more open viable approaches to gameplay than they'd managed otherwise in the series. Being a technical marvel for the platform helped. Admitedly, the last boss almost ruined all that for me.

May I take this opportunity to convey how irredeemably poor Shadowfall's single player was, especially in light of all this.

It surely was a shock playing shadowfall, a few months after Mercenary came out. I was expecting the same level of singleplayer goodness, and instead was given a poor mans Crysis clone. Shadowfall didn't even feel like Killzone (the first level did, but once you got to the forest cliffs it went downhill fast!). Did GG give shadowfall to a different team or did the main killzone devs go over to Cambridge? Mercenary felt like killzone, Shadowfall didn't. It still irks me to this day, as I loved KZ1, KZ2, KZ3 and mercenary.

CozMick

Banned
I recommend Playstation TV just for this game.

Big screen tv, Dual shock 4 and arguably the best KZ multiplayer. Mmmmm

Grinchy

Banned
It looks incredible and it plays decently enough, but I just could not get into it. I appreciate it so much on a technical level, but I haven't found myself plowing through the game at any point. Maybe some day I'll load it back up and change my mind.

It looks incredible and it plays decently enough, but I just could not get into it. I appreciate it so much on a technical level, but I haven't found myself plowing through the game at any point. Maybe some day I'll load it back up and change my mind.

Just on a whim, go replay the first mission under the covert contract. Just playing through the story is a solid, but unremarkable experience, it's the contracts that really sell this game in my opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought it was amazing on the Vita. I replayed it on Vita TV and it felt considerably more limited. I don't know if it was the replay where I was more closely examining things or just the change in expectations.

Gestault

I thought it was amazing on the Vita. I replayed it on Vita TV and it felt considerably more limited. I don't know if it was the replay where I was more closely examining things or just the change in expectations.

I actually had the same experience, and I wasn't able to work out if it was the form factor or the familiarity of coming back.

Footos22

Platinumed this game. So bloody good. I played the online for a good couple of months solid. Prob the best online shooter over anything on the ps3.

I love Mercenary. It is probably the best Killzone game, without a doubt better than Shadowfall and 3, it rivals 2 in my opinion. It has a huge amount of replay value offline and the multiplayer is top notch too. We even got two free maps in a patch. I just wish it wasn't hampered by the Vita's 8-person party limit. I never thought that 4v4 was enough. Still, I loved the multiplayer. I wonder if it is still active?

Really spectacular level design, up there with the FPS greats. The contracts were a brilliant addition that got me to play through the game 4 times and showed off how great the build variety and sandbox levels are. Utterly gorgeous, too - shocking that it was running on a handheld.

I can't wait to see Cambridge's next game, no matter what it is. Since it's probably the next console Killzone, I'm very very excited.

Really spectacular level design, up there with the FPS greats. The contracts were a brilliant addition that got me to play through the game 4 times and showed off how great the build variety and sandbox levels are. Utterly gorgeous, too - shocking that it was running on a handheld.

I can't wait to see Cambridge's next game, no matter what it is. Since it's probably the next console Killzone, I'm very very excited.

The thing I'm really digging about the level design is that it's seemingly intuitive. These stages feel like they were or are functional on some level.

Phii

Banned
I absolutely loved the game, completed it more times than I could count. Really love how many approaches you could have to complete each level.

Here's some screenshots I made when I went on a quest to get out of the map as much as I could. Also no HUD+hiding the weapon by taking the screenshot in the middle of switching weapons.

Oh, wow at the bolded! Need to take some myself now.

One specific level reminded me of the early areas in MGS1, but I was really surprised by its level design and replayability as you could (for example) progress by platforming. sooo good.

lord pie

Platinumed this game. So bloody good. I played the online for a good couple of months solid. Prob the best online shooter over anything on the ps3.

That's quite an achievement, well done :). The bloodbank trophy is just brutal and is the only one I didn't get (got to ~6k out of 10k I think).

A weird thing I love about the game is how fantastically over-acted Kratek is... “Kill them all! Die if you must, just make sure we win.”

Some of the things blackjack says are pretty awesome too. He actually has a whole bunch of dialog in every level; he comments on your progress each time you visit the armory, provided you wait a second or two after opening it, otherwise you won't hear it. :)

Flunkie

Banned
I love Mercenary. It is probably the best Killzone game, without a doubt better than Shadowfall and 3, it rivals 2 in my opinion. It has a huge amount of replay value offline and the multiplayer is top notch too. We even got two free maps in a patch. I just wish it wasn't hampered by the Vita's 8-person party limit. I never thought that 4v4 was enough. Still, I loved the multiplayer. I wonder if it is still active?
It's still active. Played some last week. So good.

coughlanio

I totally disagree. I thought it was a chore to play.

'Huge sandbox nature of the levels' made me lol.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Shadow Fall?

I jumped in again recently after getting a Playstation TV, and it looks really good on a 24 inch monitor, considering it's running at 960x544 IIRC.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I can't play the game. The narrow FOV might work on consoles where the TV is away from you, but that super low FOV very close to my face with my Vita is just not working for me, when I try it it gave me awful headache after just few minutes of play.

Game need a fov slider.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can't play the game. The narrow FOV might work on consoles where the TV is away from you, but that super low FOV very close to my face with my Vita is just not working for me, when I try it it gave me awful headache after just few minutes of play.

Game need a fov slider.
Performance optimization was likely done for that specific FoV. Turning it up would probably start to tank the performance. This is why you don't typically see FoV sliders for games on fixed hardware like this.

4lejandro

Great game, as others have said it got my hopes up pretty high for KZ:SF, which was very different, I didn't hate it though...

The contracts were the best! I loved playing with the helgan handgun or the silenced STA-52SE!

IvorB

I'm not an FPS fan and I still loved this. I actually completed the whole thing on the higher difficulty. If there was a new difficulty unlocked I would probably play it again.

Deadbeat

Banned
Only reason I own a Vita TV. Its funny how the best Killzone game wasnt even made by the original developers.

Killzone Mercenary 2 on the PS4 and Ill be there.

nampad

Only reason I own a Vita TV. Its funny how the best Killzone game wasnt even made by the original developers.

Killzone Mercenary 2 on the PS4 and Ill be there.

The best LBP is also not made by the original developers and is on Vita. But most of the people would just call these games "shitty spin offs by B tier developers", which is quite sad.

It is a superb game.
Best FPS on any handheld ever but more than that it's the best entry in the Killzone franchise outside of 2.

Cambridge have proven they are the guys to take over the franchise

autoduelist

Loved it.

OP -- if you dug the 'different playstyles' you really should check out Unit 13 too. It's a bit 'budget' feeling compared to KZ:Mercs, but it has the same sort of mission setup, only it's got something like 100 missions (not sure exactly, but it's tons of content, plus you can randomize levels, and there's daily challenges). In exchange for that vast amount of content, the story is minimal /non-existant.

I played Unit 13 first and loved it.. KZ:Mercs felt like they took that basic setup and evolved it.

Leynos

I don't normally like first-person shooters, but I rather liked Mercenaries, and is my second-favorite handheld Killzone game.
Seriously, try Killzone: Liberation if you haven't.
It's just a damn shame that you can't download the final act on the Vita.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I totally disagree. I thought it was a chore to play.

'Huge sandbox nature of the levels' made me lol.

Compared to the huge majority of linear corridor shooters this does almost feel like a sandbox. Very impressive game for the Vita. :)
Loved it.

OP -- if you dug the 'different playstyles' you really should check out Unit 13 too. It's a bit 'budget' feeling compared to KZ:Mercs, but it has the same sort of mission setup, only it's got something like 100 missions (not sure exactly, but it's tons of content, plus you can randomize levels, and there's daily challenges). In exchange for that vast amount of content, the story is minimal /non-existant.

I played Unit 13 first and loved it.. KZ:Mercs felt like they took that basic setup and evolved it.

Great game too, proud to have Platinumed that especially as I don't platinum many games (I have 8 plate over 5yrs of PS3/Vita/PS4).

Top Bottom