• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hilariously bad fake leaks, hoaxes and rumours

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
latest

sadfish has a special place in my heart

MrBS

Every year I see a photo of a printed list of exhibitors/games for E3 reposted by some poor hopeful proclaiming its legit. It never never never is people!! I like to dream too (MGR2 is real!!!) but c'mon.

Huh? Well, the more you know! Living in Russia, I just haven't seen then anywhere except extremely small shops. I remember them a lot form 1990s-very early 2000s, but that was the 90s clusterfuck.

The prices are scanned from the barcodes anyway so the price tags themselves are just for the consumer, which means that smaller and easier = better.

anything that involves nintendo proving haters wrong by revealing a mature version of one of their current franchises

These always get me coz how how transparently awful they are. 'My uncle who works at Nintendo says they're making a hard-core first person shooter Zelda set in the Mushroom Kingdom and its open world and Rockstar are co-developing and there's blood!'

latest

sadfish has a special place in my heart

I remember being like halfway through translating this for Joe when we realized it was fake. So embarrassing.

Komo

Banned
gtafeon7.jpg

It was created by Play (U.K.) Magazine back in '06. They followed up the 'leak' with an exposé on how one of their graphic designers created the image, how they circulated it, and finally how it was debunked by Rockstar themselves. The power of the internet-based distribution, eh?

Wait, really? I could've sworn it was around longer than that, lol

What's really shocking is that some people actually believed it

sp3ctr3

I remember some great ones from the mid 90's when I read Computer & Video Games (CVG)

Pedro in Mortal Kombat 3
cvg_173_p_14.jpg

They also made an april's fool on Mario Kart, saying it was coming out on the original GameBoy, but I can't find a picture of it

It isn't hilariously bad (well, except maybe the Toads), but I remember the Wario's Woods April Fools joke, which was picked up by several sites.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/21/rumor-warios-woods-coming-to-wii-ware/

The person creating the fake was putting it together for April Fools, but the pictures were leaked beforehand, which prompted the creator to preemptively out it so the rumor wouldn't get out of hand.

There was a "making of" the fake, too, but sadly the site is offline.

That immediately made me think of this GTA4 fake that was going around

gtafeon7.jpg

You know, I swear I thought that was a bowl of cereal until someone's comment about the minimap being useless. And the weird thing is that I didn't question it...

this was an april fool's joke on the italian zzap! and a lot of people believed it. Some stores actually put the game in preorder

Oh my god, if I'd have known about this at the time I would have freaked out!
Zak McKracken is one of my favourite games of all time!

Bl@de

this was an april fool's joke on the italian zzap! and a lot of people believed it. Some stores actually put the game in preorder

That's cruel. I loved Zak McCracken. It was the first videogame I ever played. What a evil joke ...

It isn't hilariously bad (well, except maybe the Toads), but I remember the Wario's Woods April Fools joke, which was picked up by several sites.

It is definitely not hilarious. It's something I would actually buy "as is", if it was playable. Definitely one of the best mock-ups I've ever seen.

Yea.. i freaked out too :D
It was 1989 so no internet... and jokes like this one worked like a charm.
They also did another one in 1993 announcing Monkey Island 3:

This magazine seems to be pure evil for fans of LucasArts adventures! At least Monkey Island 3 is a thing, and we can count Day of the Tentacle as... I dunno, as a direct successor of early LucasFilm Games era?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sometimes, reading the news on the Internet and seeing some rumour being published, you know it's bad. By "bad", I mean something so fishy you wonder how anyone sane could believe in it. And it's not like it suddenly becomes true, like Assassin's Creed plane photos - it just becomes even more laughable after debunking.

630x.jpg

My recent favourite is the "leak" from some Finnish retailer about New Nintendo 3DS launching in Europe somewhere between 9 and 15 January, IIRC. This photo is wrong on so many levels... First of all, here we have "European" box without any European ratings. But look, it's an Australian rating! (And the system launched in Australia first! Coincidence, eh?). Besides - look at this price tag. Have you ever seen these inch-size tags being used as actual price tags in a something bigger than a shady pawn shop, let alone in electronics/game retailer? I've seen them... fifteen years ago, when the electronic databases haven't been really a thing, and I lived not in a very developed country... and even then it was more a thing of the past! Not to say these tag printing/labeling machines are so cheap and common I could easily male a hoax about retail Wii U version of Bayonetta 1 coming in the US. But, oh well, I could just print fake price tag on a printer - and it would be more believable.

Anyway, stop the pointless analysis. Post your favourite crapfakes, clickbait pre-E3 top secret announcement lists, fan speculations disguised as rumours and leaks and other similar stuff.

Most of the electronics I buy in aus have those tiny price tags on them. Cd's games, ammiibos. Why wouldn't they be used?

openrob

Yeah maybe I was just too old when the game came out but like, it's a truck. Why did little kids need to make it out to be something stupid.

But there was also the useless keys in the slot house, right? That helped contribute to the idea.

Hanmik

I want this to be true... please someone make it true.. now ... come on.. please.. please..

Most of the electronics I buy in aus have those tiny price tags on them. Cd's games, ammiibos. Why wouldn't they be used?

Bigg price tags contain a lot of information for both customers (characteristics, model number etc.) and sellers/storage managers (ID number for internal database, section, selling priority rating etc.) At least that's how things go in my country.

I remember some great ones from the mid 90's when I read Computer & Video Games (CVG)

Pedro in Mortal Kombat 3
cvg_173_p_14.jpg

They also made an april's fool on Mario Kart, saying it was coming out on the original GameBoy, but I can't find a picture of it

Dat racism, though. The 90s were weird and mean.

mclem

the time paul gale said kojima was making a game about circumcision

Clearly it evolved into Metal Gear Rising.

I'd nominate - since I argued the point quite strongly at the time - the 'leak' of a bunch of Vita exclusives appearing on Play's website:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465645

I was impressed that a bunch of news organisations reported on it - despite that being a faked image, and if you actually went to Play, you wouldn't see most of them.

dc89

More Pokemon ones pls. They are the best.
Some of the stuff that apparently got you Mew. I remember trying loads of the techniques.

TheHall

I'll never forget the hoax about the Mortal Kombat SNES bloodcode.

It was an april fool's joke in a British Game magazine, but some Dutch magazine re-printed it as fact. (Power Unlimited)

Yes, 12 year old me taped a coin to his MK1 cartridge....

I got my revenge when 10 years later i got to talk to one of the editors from the magazine and told him i was still mad about it.

We had a beer, it was all good.

Nugg

Sometimes, reading the news on the Internet and seeing some rumour being published, you know it's bad. By "bad", I mean something so fishy you wonder how anyone sane could believe in it. And it's not like it suddenly becomes true, like Assassin's Creed plane photos - it just becomes even more laughable after debunking.

630x.jpg

My recent favourite is the "leak" from some Finnish retailer about New Nintendo 3DS launching in Europe somewhere between 9 and 15 January, IIRC. This photo is wrong on so many levels... First of all, here we have "European" box without any European ratings. But look, it's an Australian rating! (And the system launched in Australia first! Coincidence, eh?). Besides - look at this price tag. Have you ever seen these inch-size tags being used as actual price tags in a something bigger than a shady pawn shop, let alone in electronics/game retailer? I've seen them... fifteen years ago, when the electronic databases haven't been really a thing, and I lived not in a very developed country... and even then it was more a thing of the past! Not to say these tag printing/labeling machines are so cheap and common I could easily male a hoax about retail Wii U version of Bayonetta 1 coming in the US. But, oh well, I could just print fake price tag on a printer - and it would be more believable.

Anyway, stop the pointless analysis. Post your favourite crapfakes, clickbait pre-E3 top secret announcement lists, fan speculations disguised as rumours and leaks and other similar stuff.

This actually look like a price tag a small shop importing PAL stuff from Australia would use. This looks more like someone who don't understand what he bought than a fake to me. This reminds me when I was a kid, the Nintendo 64 was stupidly hard to find in Europe at launch. There was no official release date, and supplies where very different depending on the country. I randomly found one in store here in France, bought it, and bragged about it at school: "guys guys I swear to you, it's out, I have mine at home" and nobody would believe me. I figured out later I bought a German import and didn't even realize.

Platy

Nintendo ON is both the best and worst fake leak.

The first middle of the video is glorious and awesome till this day. The last part is so bad it hurts

Top Bottom