• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hilariously bad fake leaks, hoaxes and rumours

Sometimes, reading the news on the Internet and seeing some rumour being published, you know it's bad. By "bad", I mean something so fishy you wonder how anyone sane could believe in it. And it's not like it suddenly becomes true, like Assassin's Creed plane photos - it just becomes even more laughable after debunking.

630x.jpg

My recent favourite is the "leak" from some Finnish retailer about New Nintendo 3DS launching in Europe somewhere between 9 and 15 January, IIRC. This photo is wrong on so many levels... First of all, here we have "European" box without any European ratings. But look, it's an Australian rating! (And the system launched in Australia first! Coincidence, eh?). Besides - look at this price tag. Have you ever seen these inch-size tags being used as actual price tags in a something bigger than a shady pawn shop, let alone in electronics/game retailer? I've seen them... fifteen years ago, when the electronic databases haven't been really a thing, and I lived not in a very developed country... and even then it was more a thing of the past! Not to say these tag printing/labeling machines are so cheap and common I could easily male a hoax about retail Wii U version of Bayonetta 1 coming in the US. But, oh well, I could just print fake price tag on a printer - and it would be more believable.

Anyway, stop the pointless analysis. Post your favourite crapfakes, clickbait pre-E3 top secret announcement lists, fan speculations disguised as rumours and leaks and other similar stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
anything that involves nintendo proving haters wrong by revealing a mature version of one of their current franchises

the time paul gale said kojima was making a game about circumcision

Hatchtag

Banned
Seeing Mewtwo/Ridley in the clouds in Brawl when the Subspace Emissary was revealed.
Although, to be fair to those people, someone traced ROB over the Ancient Minister and that turned out to be true.

Halo 4 would have custom classes, random weapon drops, and armor abilities would return.

Oh wait

Halo 4 already had the greatest real leak of all time with the barn leak tho.

I remember a magazine having a small image of "Wind Waker 2" back then before Nintendo announced Twilight Princess.

Actually, "Wind Waker 2" supposed to be the game that turned later as Phantom Hourglass, except it was planned for GameCube. It was postponed and pushed on the portable after Nintendo started to work on Twilight Princess.

EGM's Sheng Long prank.

• Play as Ryu.
  • Don't take any damage at all.
  • Go 10 rounds without damaging or taking damage from M. Bison.
  • Then Sheng Long comes out and fights you.

Zolbrod

Any rumors about nude cheats for the original Tomb Raider.

Similarly, any rumors about some kind of blood code also existing for the SNES version of Mortal Kombat.

PSY・S;150366572 said:
PlayStation-All-Stars.gif

Holy shit, I forgot all about Paul Gale.

Paul_Gale_Network_Flexing_at_the_Pool_2.jpg

Paul Gale was trolling the PSAS fanbase so hard. and I can't believe someone went through all that work to make that animation.... Having Mog in the background made it an OBVIOUS fake. So stupid

Has there ever been an explanation for this truck by anyone? Even after the enormous disappointment when I didn't find Mew there, I was still baffled by why the truck exists. Is there a story?

Have you not heard the legend of the Truck?

See, the Truck, wanted to be a Pokemon Trainer, well Professor Oak had this thing against trucks, so he told the truck to get flat and banished him from the region. Of course since this was Gen 1 and Kanto was the only thing to exist in the entire universe, the truck had to instead find a hiding spot.

He then runs to where the SS Anne is, and notices that port is abandoned. So he decides to remain there for all eternity, but little did the little truck know, that hiding in the water was a Mew. He befriended the Mew, who'd seen some shit when Dr. Fuji cloned him.

So he took in Mew as a treasured friend, and little did the truck know that he now was in possession of the world's most famous and mysterious Pokemon, thus making him the one, true Pokemon master. And Oak never knew.

Yeah no, it's just a tile for scenery.

Some kid decided to "leak" his fan fiction, pass it off as a game in development and a website decided to publish it.
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/04/new-sonic-game-apparently-in-development-xbox-one-ps4-and-wii-u-sonic-thunderstorm-or-sonic-blue-thunder/

My Nintendo News is basically a web site that promotes the self-publishing. Remember the Nintendo Direct "leak" that turned out to be the announcement Russian-localised TCG? I know the guy who did that leak quite close, and I have to say that basically everyone with an account can publish rumours all over that place.

Oh, by the well, as far as I know, nobody came out of that situation clean, Everyone, from this particular guy to local Nintendo division, was bashed and punished.

Top Bottom