• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015: The year I stopped caring about finishing games

stay gold

I won't finish a game if I think it's shit, e.g I've given up on AC: Unity less than 20% in lol.

If im enjoying a game I will finish it though, I just won't buy anything new til im done.

Laconic

Banned
This was me, at the tail end of the PS2 era.

I blame Dragon Quest 8 and Persona 4 for that, though.

And Fighting Games, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls for pretty much the entirety of my PS3 backlog.

Jams775

I've actually always been a bit envious of people who finish every game they get. I've never had that mindset. I don't know if it's because of growing up around arcades and never really feeling like games were something to be finished or something else. But I'm pretty sure it took all the way to Metal Gear Solid for me to actually finish my first game. Which is funny because I ended up beating that game more than 6 times.

After that though, it would take probably until the 360 for me to ever finish a game again. Lot of the games I played though were open ended like Counter-Strike and Everquest, or arcade ports. I still struggle to keep playing games long enough to finish them though. I usually get bored or distracted with something else before I get a chance to finish them. The only game I remember finishing that I regret ever buying is Bioshock Infinite. Fuck that game. Hard mode is broken and the game sucks. Edit: I also mean to say since last gen, I've gotten a lot better about finishing games. It's still like a 1 game finished to every 10 or more games played.

Sotha_Sil

I just got Steam and bought a bunch of super cheap games. I've played a bit of each, I just need to focus on one at a time. I finished KOTOR2, next I will finish Dishonored. I might have time for one more before Pillars of Eternity drops.

I try to finish all games i buy. so far i own 18 games for ps4 and finished 17. can't freaking finish farcry 4.....soooooo dull and boring.

edgefusion

So many games are so long and overstay their welcome these days. I never finished Shadow of Mordor, Murdered or Dying Light because they're all games whose mechanics can't flesh out 60 hours of gameplay.

heringer

I don't have a problem dropping games I don't enjoy. My problem is with games that I do enjoy but are too fucking long. Nowadays I really hate when games go on for 40 hours or more. I just lose interest before I finish it.

So many games are so long and overstay their welcome these days. I never finished Shadow of Mordor, Murdered or Dying Light because they're all games whose mechanics can't flesh out 60 hours of gameplay.

Eh. I've finished Shadow of Mordor in less than 20 hours, and I did quite a bit of side activities. It's not that long. To me the sweet spot is 10-15 hours for non RPG and 20-30 for RPG's.

Rising_Hei

This is happening to me lately, but just because there aren't many great and freshly new experiences out there for now :)

mhayze

As long as I can remember I've always been a person that has felt I had to finish any game I started. Even if I didn't like it, I felt anxious if I stopped playing it before completion. I would get a nagging feeling that I have to go back and finish, sometimes doing so just to get rid of that feeling.

This year I've decided I'm not going to care as much. I'm in grad school, I have friends and a relationship, I work and have an internship; my time is limited to say the least. And now that I've made the decision to not care, I feel such a sense relief. If I'm not hooked by a game, then I'm not going to finish it. Maybe I played for 8 hours and enjoyed it, feeling like I've had my fill of the game, so I'm not gonna finish it.

So for everyone out there that lets gaming feel like a chore sometimes because you feel you have to complete a game or work your way through a backlog, do yourself a favor and stop caring so much. Let it go. I promise, it'll feel good.

I reached that point a few years ago when I was at a similar stage in my life. Like you, I wondered what the reasons were for the anxiety I felt about not finishing it, and whether it was 'OK' to not care about finishing it.
My personal opinion is that modern society has us hardwired to care about finishing things, in general. If you start your homework, and don't finish it, you will either get no credit for it, or less credit, if your professor/teacher will even accept it.

At work, you can't hand in incomplete things. If you read a book or watch a movie, if you don't reach the end, you "don't know what happened at the end" or experience the catharsis moment at the end.

Games are a combination of the two, I think, and that's why we want to experience 'the end':
- We want to experience the catharsis of finishing it
- Our brain tracks games like work, and the anxiety is the physiological response mechanism that drives us to complete long term tasks that can be unpleasant in the short term (work, homework, etc.)

That's my 2c, anyways.

heringer

I reached that point a few years ago when I was at a similar stage in my life. Like you, I wondered what the reasons were for the anxiety I felt about not finishing it, and whether it was 'OK' to not care about finishing it.
My personal opinion is that modern society has us hardwired to care about finishing things, in general. If you start your homework, and don't finish it, you will either get no credit for it, or less credit, if your professor/teacher will even accept it.

At work, you can't hand in incomplete things. If you read a book or watch a movie, if you don't reach the end, you "don't know what happened at the end" or experience the catharsis moment at the end.

Games are a combination of the two, I think, and that's why we want to experience 'the end':
- We want to experience the catharsis of finishing it
- Our brain tracks games like work, and the anxiety is the physiological response mechanism that drives us to complete long term tasks that can be unpleasant in the short term (work, homework, etc.)

That's my 2c, anyways.

That makes sense, but to me there's more than that. For instance, if I paid next to nothing for a game, I don't care about not finishing it. The more I paid for, the more I feel anxious or guilty about not finishing. If I don't finish a game I paid full price I lose my sleep!

I finish everything I buy eventually, I just have a huge backlog.

With the way console releases have been reduced in the past few years my backlog is looking better every day. There simply aren't that many games I'm interested in coming out anymore.

ironcreed

Banned
This is pretty much how I roll these days. Exceptions being my most anticipated games. Everything else is sitting there unfinished and I go back and forth to them as I can. Some get finished, others not so much.

FTF

This just happens naturally as you grow up.

I just buy less games despite having more money, I know what games I'm going to like and I never buy just because of "hype" (but definitely for good words of mouth, like Deadly Premonition). My backlog is still big due to years of playing very little, but I decided to just drop some of these games.

Yeah, I'm at this point too.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm the same. If I enjoy a game then I'll complete it yeah, but if it becomes a chore then nah I'll just drop it. Dropped The Crew, Dragon Age etc just because they got stale.

M.W.

I don't finish 95% of the games I play. I just don't care if I do or don't complete them, even if I really like the game.

gfdoom

Im doing the exact opposite for this new generation. Im making a point to try and finish every game that I purchase (games that I like). Im tired of letting my back catalog grow with unfinished games. I feel Im wasting my money buying games I don't complete regardless if the game was bought at a cheap price or not. I also didn't invest in 3 consoles which is a big help!

And speaking on not completing games, this is one of the main reasons devs don't spend time on doing good endings for their games, 90% of the people who buy games don't complete them to even see the ending. If you look at your trophies and compare a games first trophy to the one that says you've completed a game, you'll see it's percentage is ridiculously low compared to that first trophy. gamers just don't finish their games anymore.

Bl@de

I only buy great games (that is ... games that I like). That's why I finish them. It's not a chore for me to have a backlog with games like Divinity: Original Sin, Dark Souls 2, Risen 3, Deadly Premonition, Yakuza 3, Bayonetta 2, Might & Magic X, etc. ....

...but sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the amazing things, that's why I use lists^^ I don't know why people think it's a chore to keep a list of your gems. And since I paid for all the games, I finish them.

Puru

I only do that with RPG, if after 5+ hours it feels like i just won't enjoy it i give up.
Generally other games are short enough for me to finish them even if i have to force myself a bit.

As we grow older, most of us come to the realization that time is more precious than anything else, including money. Sure you can put more hours into a game that you're not enjoying much in order to get more 'value' out of it, but the time that you've wasted on it is something you'll never get back. With games, you can always sell them and get something back.
Like the other poster said; 'Time is precious. Don't waste it'.

chemicals

I disagree. And i'm old. I still feel compelled to beat every game I come across. I dont accept getting stuck.. I always play on until I figure the shit out.

xrnzaaas

For me 2014 was quite the opposite. I didn't finish sooo many games when I was playing on a PC and on a 360, but after I bought a PS4 I changed my attitude. I've finished (not platinum'd, I still want a life ;)) all the games I bought so far.

(PS+ is a different thing, because I don't like other people picking for me what I should play next).

Conezays

I'm definitely in the same boat as I get older. That being said, it is a bit of a double-edged sword. Sometimes just the thought of returning to a game I've gotten into a couple hours of can be daunting. However, some games actually are worth getting over that initial hurdle of and giving them another chance; others are not. I do think it's a good idea to drop games you feel aren't respecting your time or are no longer enjoyable for you though. When I was younger, I was more likely to "push on" through a game, whereas now I'm happy to stop playing a few hours in, despite some semblance of guilt for not finishing what I started, etc.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Always raised an eyebrow to the "backlog" craze of a few years back, where people seemed to regard every game they owned, but hadn't beaten, as some kind of personal shame. Sounded like making your game collection into a list of chores.

A few years ago I realised I had a big stack of games I'd not completed and had a lot of spare time. So I put that stack of games in order of "how easy do I think it is to complete them" and went about eliminating this backlog.

I got two games in before I realised that I was playing these games for the sole reason of never having to play them again. Which is as self defeating as it sounds. I stopped playing the games entirely because it was essentially work. That and I've grown out of the need to tick off that "you've got to complete it otherwise your invested time was wasted" box any more.

Nowadays games I play essentially have no end. The two games I've played the most of in the last two years have been Football Manager and Terraria.

Catdaddy

I'm not that way at all, I play a game until I get tired of it or stop having fun (sometimes goes hand in hand). Being a hobby, I don't need the added stress and wasted time of beating every game I own, just because I own it. I have many unfinished games in my library, and sometimes I go back and finish many months/years after I started.

Megatron

I've been on this train for well over a decade.

Always raised an eyebrow to the "backlog" craze of a few years back, where people seemed to regard every game they owned, but hadn't beaten, as some kind of personal shame. Sounded like making your game collection into a list of chores.

And what does "beating" a game actually get you? If you play a game, and have fun... what does it matter that you haven't watched some dumb cutscene and credits?

If you like a game, want to play it until it's over, then by all means. Otherwise why force it?

I enjoy going through the backlog and playing something I've been meaning to get back to for months/years. The thing is if I'm not enjoying the game or can't get into it, I sell it. So I'm never going back to Rage or Castlevania Lords of the Shadow etc, because I dumped those titles. However there are plenty of games in my backlog that I was enjoying but just stopped playing for a variety of reasons that I will get back to some day like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Dishonored that I will get to some day.

The one game that I've kind of been pushing myself through that I haven't liked is Arkham City. But I kind of force myself to play it because A) I adored Asylum B) I love comic books and the Batman character C) It got such great word of mouth I keep hoping it will click with me and D) I still plan to buy arkham Knight, so I'd like to finish this game first.

Zukkoyaki

There's absolutely no shame in not finishing a game you aren't particularly enjoying. Life is short and full of fun things to do. Take advantage of your time and spend it playing a game you legit have fun with!

CrazyHorse

Games are supposed to be entertainment. As soon as the game begins to feel like work rather than entertainment I stop playing.

Just don't buy games day one and you'll get them so cheaply you won't even give it a second thought when you abandon them.

Life is too short to waste time on things that you don't enjoy.

Words of truth.

patapuf

I play a lot of games that have no ending..... so i kind of stopped caring about "finishing" a long time ago.

Top Bottom