• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there anyone else who doesn't care about a game's story... like, at all?

Humdinger

No, I wouldn't say I don't care at all about story (and by "story," I don't just mean plot; I also mean characters and dialog). Good story and characters help me invest in the game and motivate my action.

Otoh, I definitely do not like the current trend of cinematic games, where you have hours and hours of cutscenes. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a movie. I hardly ever watch movies, and I sure don't want the equivalent of 4 of them sandwiched in my videogames. Besides, most of these in-game movies are mediocre.

If you're going to tell a story, you can do it in a series of one or two-minute cutscenes. Keep it basic and concise, nothing elaborate. Just use it to set up the action.

Last edited:

Larxia

I guess it depends for me, there are games where I can enjoy the story, but it's definitely not my priority at all.
Also, it's not just a matter of story, but also how it's told, if it's interesting, the pacing etc...

I usually get bored if there's way too much dialogue, but I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 3 and this one manages to keep me interested at all times, so if it's well done, I can enjoy it.

In the end and in general though, gameplay is what's the most important to me. I can deal with a game that has a bad or no story at all but great gameplay, while doing the opposite will be very complicated for me.

I like the story while playing the game but I forget it all about 30min later. For some reason I can’t seem to store video game stories in my head worth a damn.

SiahWester

Story is literally what motivates me to play games. If the story isn't good then I substitute my own within my mind provided that the gameplay is worth doing that for.

hyperbertha

I like a story as long as it doesn’t affect the gameplay. If it does affect the gameplay it better be a damn good story or I’m out.

I love books and like movies. I don’t find video games even remotely close to books or movies as a storytelling medium. Maybe it’s a generational thing.
Movies?I feel games generally have better stories than movies. Movies are even more generic shit.

mrmustard

Banned
Depends on the genre. I really love oldschool adventures and sometimes a movie game like Heavy Rain and listen to every word of Story.

But i can't stand the countless hours of cutscenes and walk + talk in action adventures or shooters many games nowadays have. When i play those games i really only want to have nonstop action and skip everything possible.

Last edited:

Chronicle

I generally don't. I've been grasped by a few stories but generally I am indifferent to the characters. I find game writing terrible. A lot of 'Scoobie-doo' endings. Ie: 'it was me all along you mangy kids!'

Shit tier writing.

Hell yes I need a decent story to keep me engaged. Rockstar had a similar opinion on this years ago, and said (verbatim) that 'storytelling in combination with good voice acting is a key to immersion, and keeps you from feeling like you're just talking to AI". The value of good storytelling elevates the gaming experience, and now games with a good stories can transcend gaming to live action or animation.

YukiOnna

For the most part, I need an interesting story and/or worldview to keep me going as the hook, but it's not like I completely forsake good gameplay; having that fun factor on both sides is best. It's just selling points such as, "You can do anything in this sandbox! Go kill all the civilians! look at this cheat code! Build anything!" mean nothing to me compared to the other way around.

Of course, you can say there are exceptions due to the genre, but even that has something to do with the world or me role-playing. Ultimately, you can have the greatest gameplay ever, but if there's no interesting purpose then I won't give you a chance.

cireza

I only care about stories in games where this is the central part. Visual Novels, Outer Wilds or Nier Automata for example. These stories have depth so they are worth the time.

Otherwise I want to play a game, not a trash-tier movie with ridiculous characters and story. Gameplay has to be the main attraction. As long as gameplay was the center of attention, a good story will be a nice optional to have on top of it. More important than the story, in such games, is the atmosphere and setting.

JimboJones

I mean it sort of depends

Quake - Do not care at all
Zelda - I care a little but it's not why I buy the game
Phoenix Wright - I care a lot
Uncharted - It's fun the first time around but subsequent playthroughs i'm skipping most of it.
Warzone/Fortnite - lol skip

Last edited:

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
This thread is senseless.
It's impossible to tease out and separate a "story" from a "game."
If you do, you end up with a "sport."
As soon as you turn on Super Mario Brothers, and you see pixelated Mario standing there, there's a story.
Who: Mario.
Where: Mushroom Kingdom
When: day time with seconds ticking down, looks like this is happening on the scale of hours, not years.
What: Rescue the princess.
Why: Bowser took her.

From a sentence in an instruction manual and the graphics on your screen, you are immediately in a "story."

By virtue of you PLAYING THE ROLE of Mario, you are playing a role playing game with an incredibly deep story.

Contrast that to tick tack toe.
Who: You
Where: wherever YOU draw the gameboard
When: whenever YOU want to play
What: beat YOUR opponent
Why: so YOU can win

There is no story. It's a competition. Its a sport. You're not playing the role of someone, you, as in YOU, are playing a game.

In a competition/sport, the reinforcement structure exists and is delivered via the mechanism of "winning." It feels good to beat your opponent, and all actions are filtered through that objective.

In a game (read: role playing game), the reinforcement structure exists hand in glove with a STORY. When you make it to the end of the first world in Super Mario Brothers, your "prize", as it were, is story information: Sorry Mario, the princess is in another castle. Your prizes throughout the entire game are just more information about the world you occupy, to get you to move forward through the story.

To say you prefer the simplicity of Zelda 2 is silly: there are books that are hundreds of pages in length, all detailing the lore of Hyrule. That lore is applicable to the Zelda game youre referring to. What you don't like is being subjected to the lore of the worlds you're inhabiting through exposition--you prefer exploration mechanics. That's also fine. There are games that cater to that, and there are games with tons of exposition.

The reason why people think games are getting worse over the years is because there is only so much cognitive horsepower available to you as a human being, ergo, there are only so many fantasy worlds you can fall in love with and inhabit via your imagination. That's why franchises exist and are successful. I happen to like the Final Fantasy universe. Seeing a chocobo on screen is indicative of 35 years worth of lore--breeding, racing, flying, etc. That lore informs what's happening on screen.

If you put two gray boxes on a screen and gave a controller to me and told me "mash X really fast to make that gray box get to the other side of the screen before the computer," I will be bored. But if you apply chocobo sprites to it, suddenly it comes with an entire universe. You can't just say you "hate story" in video games while simultaneously liking video games that are anything other than pong or madden. The very medium itself is a game mechanic delivering reinforcement through story progression.

KXVXII9X

I'm actually the opposite and it took me till very recent to understand how much important a story is to gaming for me. Even the best designed games like Zelda TotK are starting to drag for me due to story not being the central point. This has more to do with my personality, but I feel games without story or focus are aimless. It is hard to self-motivate to engage and create my own fun. I like handcrafted adventures and I like focused games with a clear beginning, middle, and end.

mitch1971

There are so many games that are similar in mechanics these days that there is only the story left to differentiate between them. I have to give the story at least a chance.

Top Bottom