• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i wish someone would erase all the games that ive played from my memory

I'm old enough that I've forgotten most of what I've played, though there are some games I will never forget and would gladly experience again as if they were new.

Rickyiez

Not sure if it's a good idea . Human can change , you've grown , so you might not like some of the games from the past anymore as an adult now .

Just treasure them as memory and treat it as a sweet nostalgia every so often .

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
A work colleague told me they finally downloaded Red Dead Redemption II for the first time. I was so jealous because I wouldn't be able to fell that awe of playing it for the first time.

Replaying a game is not the same. The only two games I've enjoyed replaying were The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2.

WitchHunter

Banned
I started gaming around 1998 i think , i was 8 years old , my 1st game was dangerous dave in the haunted mansion , a very shitty game by today's standards but for me it was amazing , i had alot of fun , in time i discovered games like Deus ex , Thief , Planescape tormen , baldur's gate , system shock , diablo , elder scrolls , my standards grew higher and higher

in present time after finishing games like witcher 3 , divinity original sin 2 , baldur's gate 3 , bloodborne , elden ring , red dead redemption 2 , bioshock i feel like there is nothing left to surprise me , i played all the big titles of the recent years and i just dont see how i can be impressed from this point forward when it comes to story , combat , level design , i tried VR gaming because its something really different but i didnt like it

im 33 years old and i wish that i could hit a reset button and forget about the games ive played so i can finish them again , how do you deal with this feeling ?
Time to read books. A whole new world opens up and you would slowly start to see how superficial and braindead most of the hyped games are.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Thing is if I could erase my memory of all my favorite games I'd no longer have nostalgia for them. What happens then if I play a game that I loved, but it's 25 years old and now I hate it because I'm playing an old ass game in modern time?

Larxia

I started gaming around 1998 i think , i was 8 years old , my 1st game was dangerous dave in the haunted mansion , a very shitty game by today's standards but for me it was amazing , i had alot of fun , in time i discovered games like Deus ex , Thief , Planescape tormen , baldur's gate , system shock , diablo , elder scrolls , my standards grew higher and higher

in present time after finishing games like witcher 3 , divinity original sin 2 , baldur's gate 3 , bloodborne , elden ring , red dead redemption 2 , bioshock i feel like there is nothing left to surprise me , i played all the big titles of the recent years and i just dont see how i can be impressed from this point forward when it comes to story , combat , level design , i tried VR gaming because its something really different but i didnt like it

im 33 years old and i wish that i could hit a reset button and forget about the games ive played so i can finish them again , how do you deal with this feeling ?
I think the biggest problem is not just about "not being surprised" anymore, but also that you listed top tier titles that did things different from the mainstream stuff, and when that's the kind of stuff you like and want... things get sad.

I'm in a similar boat, after playing RDR2 everything else felt bland for a long time and I still think about it all the time. Recently Baldur's Gate 3 was a huge breath of fresh air, it was amazing and I appreciated it like crazy, but now... everything else feel bland compared to that and I'm not really excited for anything.
Games like this only happen every 5 or 10 years nowadays so if that's the type of experience you're looking for, it's hard to be satisfied with the current market that's full of forgettable, bland experiences.

I get what you mean about wanting to be surprised, it's really part of the magic, part of what brings you back to childhood, but if I had more games even a bit similar Baldur's Gate 3 and a few other immersive sim more often, even if they don't revolutionize the world, I would be quite more happy already.

I think something that hurt gaming the most for me in the past 15 years, at least for single player stuff, is the ubisoft formula. I just can't stand it anymore, it was fine when it was new with AC 1 and 2, then it got repetitive after just a few years, and we've been enduring this for over 15 years, from all publishers, for all open world games, except the few exceptions you listed. Lot of games are just out of question for me because of this now. They're the typical experience I want to avoid, the experience where there won't be any magic, any surprise. These games all follow the same structure, so you know exactly how they are going to be played, what you are going to do, and everytime you discover any type of activity in the game, you know it will be something you will see 100 times again across the map.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Wish granted!

HqKqbRc.gif

You lose your interest in games..

Last edited:
The first 5 words in OP's post made it very clear that this was going to be another nostalgia/'miss my younger years' thread.

Biggest advice for anyone who feels like the OP: Stop looking at AAA to cater to your needs.

Edit: Also start following newer publishers and developers. You're asking companies from 30+ years ago to do that the same stuff they used to do back in the 90s/2000s and quite a few here never turn their eyes to anyone new until it has finally blindsided you like BG3 did.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The games wouldn’t have the same impact today. Going back to the mid 90s and going through all that development again… Now we’re talking.

There will always be another massively impressive game coming. I felt gaming didn't get better when I played Dark Souls, then I played Elden Ring years later and it fucking blew me away.

GeNoMe

I would never want to forget the experiences I got from the games that I have played over the years. A lot of those games have helped shape me into the person I am today. What would erasing them do to my persona? I grew up playing wonderful stories with well thought out characters, each with their own slice of life. They helped me shape my own views on a variety of topics, emotions en the outlook on life. It's an important and powerful medium to me. I would never want to forget those experiences during the different stages of my life.

SHA

I'm not a doctor but alzheimer's disease or symptoms are possible and the closest to take advantage of the topic you just mentioned , eat meat, lots of meat, don't workout, just look for it's causes, I don't recommend it if you value your life cause it's one of the worst diseases on this planet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom