• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

What scores do you think Baldur's Gate 3 will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 65-70%

• 70-75%

• 75-80%

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 82 21.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 194 50.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 73 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krathoon

They have a Twitch drop for the game. Just run a Twitch stream in your browser for 2 hours. I usually just mute it.

StereoVsn

I'm still excited to see what CDPR has come up with in changing the gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077
Hopefully more choices and way to complete quests at least. I don't have a LOT of hope for the expansion but it should at least add that much. And a lot of the options are going to base patch without having to buy an expansion.

BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk replay, Spider-Man 2.... I definitely don't have enough hours in a day, lol.

Ginzeen

Banned
Hopefully more choices and way to complete quests at least. I don't have a LOT of hope for the expansion but it should at least add that much. And a lot of the options are going to base patch without having to buy an expansion.

BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk replay, Spider-Man 2.... I definitely don't have enough hours in a day, lol.
I have much hope for the expansion. It's probably at least 20 hours of new content. People who played it said it completely changed the game with all the new and improved systems. Cyberpunk was always a good game, just plagued by bugs and performance issues. With BG3, Starfield,and Phantom Liberty, its truly the year of WRPGs. I love it.

Tedditalk

They already made a comprehensive list of changes. None of it is going to add choices or impact quest structure in any meaningful way. Maybe the exception would be phantom liberty new quests. What CDPR is focusing on, is changing the skill stree, overhauling the police, radiant quests, new cyberware and guns, changing the armor system, vehicle combat, graphics boost, and just the general game feel outside of the quests.

StereoVsn

They already made a comprehensive list of changes. None of it is going to add choices or impact quest structure in any meaningful way. Maybe the exception would be phantom liberty new quests. What CDPR is focusing on, is changing the skill stree, overhauling the police, radiant quests, new cyberware and guns, changing the armor system, vehicle combat, graphics boost, and just the general game feel outside of the quests.
I was talking about expansion quests, yes. The rest of cha ges are good but they won't improve the overall game structure all there much.

There are always mods though.

Yeah what with CDPR being known for their CRPG and all 🙄
This was the crushing realization I had to come to after they released Cyberpunk 2077. They are incapable of actually creating anything of depth in actual gameplay. Just at basically "choosing your own adventure" through dialogue choices.

Guilty_AI

This was the crushing realization I had to come to after they released Cyberpunk 2077. They are incapable of actually creating anything of depth in actual gameplay. Just at basically "choosing your own adventure" through dialogue choices.
Ironically enough, despite CP2077 getting so much flak for lack of choices, its actually the one that least suffer from this issue when compared to the witcher games.

Gorgon

Oh man, me and my friend went for a 4.5 hour session but his game got bugged and crashed. I can see this game is slowly going to be GOTY if this keeps up. And this is my first BG game. Didn't even play the Neverwinter Nights series.

Not a popular opinion, but when I played them back in the day I tought the NWN series sucked balls. I doubt I'd change my mind today.

Handel

Going to be one of the best reviewed games of the year. Between just this and Starfield the second half of the year is packed, 300+ hour experiences each.

KiteGr

Having gone into the Pathfinder games being unfamiliar and unprepared of the DnD ruleset I can say that new people will get very confused by the Dice based stats and terminology.

Fredrik

Why are so many reviews unscored? Metacritic and Opencritic show aggregate based on only 4 reviews
They sent out review codes a week before the release. Can’t go through a game like this that fast.

I’m positively surprised that so many critics went with a pending score. I hope this becomes a norm. Rushed day 1 reviews are only there to help selling a game, a customer never get the full picture on those reviews with patches and post-release added content as well as long games being a norm.

FeralEcho

who's baldur and why does he have a gate
God of Light and Beauty in Norse Mythology....After battling Kratos and getting my ass kicked I would put up a gate too, wouldn't you.
Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Krathoon

Actually, I am not that familiar with the city of Baldur's Gate.

Neverwinter, on the other hand. All kinds of crazy shit happening in Neverwinter.

Ginzeen

Banned
It's subjective of course, but BG3 is pushing systems way further than any other game apart from dwarf fortress - in my opinion it's a generational leap forward and deserves game of the generation (for now). It won't win anything though because it launched same year as a zelda game so...
Don't worry. It will beat Zelda for game of the year don't worry.

amigastar

Turn Based games (XCom, Civilization, 4X) are my fav genre. So i naturally tend to like BG3 more than the usual.

geary

5 day after release and only 8 reviews...And is 95 in MC now.
I wonder how thorough will be the reviews, because the big publication usually get out a review after they play 30% of a game.

lefty1117

Gold Member
This is my GOTY, I can't imagine Starfield topping this. Still can't wait for Starfield, very excited for it. But releasing this a month early to let players really dig into it, was a genius move aside from the financials. It's an amazing piece of work.

amigastar

This is my GOTY, I can't imagine Starfield topping this. Still can't wait for Starfield, very excited for it. But releasing this a month early to let players really dig into it, was a genius move aside from the financials. It's an amazing piece of work.
I also can't imagine Starfield will be better but hey If Starfield turns out to be good, the better, i'm in a mood for a Bethesda RPG right now so i can't wait.

Last edited:

Gorgon

5 day after release and only 8 reviews...And is 95 in MC now.
I wonder how thorough will be the reviews, because the big publication usually get out a review after they play 30% of a game.

It's at 96 on Metacritic right now. Same as Zelda:TotK.

Top Bottom