• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Hasbro Earned About $90 Million From ‘Baldur’s Gate 3’ So Far

Draugoth

Gold Member
a3bcdeb6d1a18e58b663abed96246ee5c77a47e6.jpg

(Bloomberg) -- Baldur’s Gate 3, last year’s most critically acclaimed video game, has brought in about $90 million since its August release for parent company Hasbro Inc. through a licensing deal.

Made by Belgian developer Larian Studios, Baldur’s Gate 3 licensed property from Dungeons & Dragons, a famous role playing game by Hasbro subsidiary Wizards of the Coast.

As you turn the corner into 2024, in the front half of the year, you’re still going to have the tail from Baldur’s Gate 3,” Hasbro Chief Executive Officer Chris Cocks said on a call with analysts, adding that sales will persist through the year, but at a slower pace than the third and fourth quarter.

On Monday, Baldur’s Gate 3 reached 500,000 reviews on PC game marketplace Steam, which were “overwhelmingly positive.” The title has sold millions of copies across PC, Xbox, PlayStation 5, and Mac. It won 2023’s Game of the Year award at the Game Awards.

Source

Mister Wolf

So we getting Neverwinter Nights 3 next? Honestly if Larian doesn't want to do it directly they should have another developer do it with Larian presiding over them like how Nintendo handles it's Metroid games.

near

Gold Member
Are you saying to me that when a game is good, they can make profit selling mechandise as well?
Baldur's Gate is in itself a licensed property of Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast, and are more than likely profiting of each copy sold. I'm sure BG3 helped spike other aspects of Hasbo's business as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Baldur's Gate is in itself a licensed property of Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast, and are more than likely profiting of each copy sold. I'm sure BG3 helped spike other aspects of Hasbo's business as well.

Marvel got over $100m from Sony the same way. So is it okay to estimate that Hasbro is getting around 15% for every Baldur Gate 3 game sold?

near

Gold Member
Marvel got over $100m from Sony the same way. So is it okay to estimate that Hasbro is getting around 15% for every Baldur Gate 3 game sold?
Honestly, I have no idea how these things are structured. It could be a small percentage off copies sold, as well the licensing fee, or maybe it was just a structured licensing fee. These contracts must have a variety of stipulations. I wouldn't be surprised however if Larian Studios brokered a favourable deal with BG3, considering the IP had been fairly dormant.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I can't imagine that license is worth that much, so the overall profit must be 🤯
Licensing is worth a hell of a lot. But BG3 has also sold a lot, and will continue to sell tons. Not sure if Larian has said what BG3 cost to make, but surely it was a 100million+ production. With no major discounts/sales going on, and Larian self-publishing the title, that means the only cut they are out is distribution (steam/PS/Xbox stores) and licensing. So they are probably making 50%+ off each sale. Amazing for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom