• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

BDGAME

Warning: honest opinions follow.

Tumblr is pretty awful. It DOES let you post huge pictures and share them while directly attributing the creator. But everything else about Tumblr is pretty disappointing (crazy-heavy GIF overkill among them). And I won't even talk about the community (in part because I am not qualified to).

Honestly, BDGAME, ED would probably still feature you regularly under Comics posts as long as your comics were legible (read: followable English) and had either a remotely interesting story, or punchlines amusing to either everyone or hardcore MLP:FiM fans. There are a number of comics they feature that don't even meet those criteria. (ex.: "Crazy Future" It's not even funny or interesting, it's like spiraling down some fanfiction Inception or something.) I would say it also needs to have reasonably good artwork... it can't look like an 8-yr-old crayoned it together or whatever. :)

HI Lupin. English will be my biggest barrier to concretize that project. Art will be good (I will try hard) and the story will be for MLP:Fim fans with lots of references. The time will be in future and I don't want to change that.

If not in Tumblr, what other place you suggest?

HI Lupin. English will be my biggest barrier to concretize that project. Art will be good (I will try hard) and the story will be for MLP:Fim fans with lots of references. The time will be in future and I don't want to change that.

If not in Tumblr, what other place you suggest?

DeviantArt is where the majority of ED-featured comic artists post, I think. I'd lean on them.

And being set in the future is fine, but I think it will be more interesting if you keep it directly relevant to MLP:FiM instead of going into hundreds of years later when everyone but maybe two characters are long dead. That said, do as you see fit. It's your baby!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

"This is the year 5.5/apple/26, five billion years in your future, and this is the day Celestia just said "fuck it". Welcome to the end of the world."

BDGAME

DeviantArt is where the majority of ED-featured comic artists post, I think. I'd lean on them.

And being set in the future is fine, but I think it will be more interesting if you keep it directly relevant to MLP:FiM instead of going into hundreds of years later when everyone but maybe two characters are long dead. That said, do as you see fit. It's your baby!

thanks.

"This is the year 5.5/apple/26, five billion years in your future, and this is the day Celestia just said "fuck it". Welcome to the end of the world."

Cool art.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Be warned

The recent wiki leaks release of Sony emails did have a few about the pony movie, including one with a vague discussion of the plot, and a name drop of the new villain.

PaulloDEC

Be warned

The recent wiki leaks release of Sony emails did have a few about the pony movie, including one with a vague discussion of the plot, and a name drop of the new villain.

Some super interesting stuff in there. I've written a brief version of the key points below.

SPOILERS FOLLOW, NOT EVEN KIDDING YOU GUYS. NOT MUCH REAL DETAIL, BUT READ AT YOUR PERIL.

• Sony are distributing, with a target date from Hasbro of Q1 2017

-------

• Speaking of the first draft, Steven Davis of Hasbro felt that the characters, world and mythology set up by Meghan were on-point. Speaking of being accessible to new viewers, he felt that they could "work to make this aspect even stronger".
• He felt positive regarding the establishment of the cast and the "clear understandable straightforward journey".
• There is talk of big iconic set-pieces, new creatures and exciting action sequences.
• The story concerned "Twilight stepping out on her own to prove that she can accomplish something her mentor thinks she isn't ready for".
• Steven felt that the story works "really well" as a musical.
• Areas of focus for exploring and developing further include making emotional moments deeper, building out relationships, making Twilight's emotional growth stronger and more clear, pushing for more comedy.
• The villain, "Cosmos" is seen as not quite "there yet", needing work to make clear his motivations and adjust his personality to make him stand out.
• Once again, making the film accessible to new audiences given the "number of characters with existing relationships" and "the backstory of alicorns" is highlighted.

-------

• Sony Pictures Animation didn't feel comfortable that the first draft worked for non-fans, and that it felt more like an expanded episode from the show.

-------

• As of the end of 2014, Megan McCarthy and Joe Ballerini were teaming up to completely rework the script and present "a new take".
• As of the end of 2014, Feb 2017 was the target for completion of production, and April was the target for release.

SPOILERS ABOVE, NOT EVEN KIDDING YOU GUYS. NOT MUCH REAL DETAIL, BUT READ AT YOUR PERIL.

If anyone wants to talk about this stuff, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT IT IN SPOILER BARS.

draetenth

Eh, other than the villain's potential name there doesn't really seem to be that much in the way of spoilers at the moment... Then again, I don't really care about spoilers so maybe I'm not the best one to decide that.

The only thing that bothered me was:
Steven felt that the story works "really well" as a musical.
. I hate
musicals
and Disney Films so that really tempers my enthusiasm for the movie. The main reason I didn't even like the Season 3 finale wasn't even the whole princess thing (though I felt it a bit forced and rushed - I always expected it to happen, just not like that...). It was that the whole thing felt like a Disney film...

PaulloDEC

Eh, other than the villain's potential name there doesn't really seem to be that much in the way of spoilers at the moment... Then again, I don't really care about spoilers so maybe I'm not the best one to decide that.

The only thing that bothered me was:
Steven felt that the story works "really well" as a musical.
. I hate
musicals
and Disney Films so that really tempers my enthusiasm for the movie. The main reason I didn't even like the Season 3 finale wasn't even the whole princess thing (though I felt it a bit forced and rushed - I always expected it to happen, just not like that...). It was that the whole thing felt like a Disney film...

It isn't really super spoilery, but there's people around here who are pretty sensitive to any kind of spoilers, so I try to be careful. There is some plot/story related stuff in there that I can understand people not wanting to see.

As for your other bit, I guess it really goes to show how differently people can enjoy a piece of media. One of my favourite things about MLP is that it does feel like
a Disney film at times. Daniel Ingram's contributions to the show have been one of my favourite parts ever since Winter Wrap Up.

I don't know, the fact that the movie involves
the backstory of the alicorns, unless that is just referring to having to explain that Twilight wasn't always a princess
seems to be a big spoiler. Still, it sounds interesting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really hope the name isn't suggesting a giant universe threatening villain. And I hope that note about Celestia means she actually gets to do something.

PaulloDEC

I don't know, the fact that the movie involves
the backstory of the alicorns, unless that is just referring to having to explain that Twilight wasn't always a princess
seems to be a big spoiler. Still, it sounds interesting.

I think the biggest takeaway for me is that the writers are keen to maintain the ongoing, consistent universe they've worked hard to build over the last five seasons, even to a fault. Pretty much the only note that Sony had on the first draft was "this won't pull in new viewers, it's a script for people who already watch the show", which as criticisms go is pretty positive from where I'm sitting.

Presumably they've gone away and revised it to be more standalone now, but I appreciate that they've not taken the easy way out and just said "fuck what came before, let's start over".

I really hope the name isn't suggesting a giant universe threatening villain.

I figured it was more likely that the villain was himself an Alicorn. The other two natural Alicorns we know are Luna and Celestia, and "Cosmos" seems like it kinda fits with that theme.

draetenth

So we have Luna = Moon + Stars, Celestia = Sun. Cosmos = Universe? Could he have some relation to them? Father? Creator? Brother that appears out of nowhere like Shining Armor? I guess it's a bit too soon to speculate.

PaulloDEC

So we have Luna = Moon + Stars, Celestia = Sun. Cosmos = Universe? Could he have some relation to them? Father? Creator? Brother that appears out of nowhere like Shining Armor? I guess it's a bit too soon to speculate.

Some kind of Alicorn bigwig gone corrupt was where I immediately went, but as you say, pretty early in the process. Given that the villain was an area that they thought needed work even at the earliest stage, he could be entirely different by now.

PaulloDEC

akira28

You mean the New Lunar Republic?

Well we're kind of like an off-shoot cell. See some of the gals and guys of the usual Royal Nightwatch got tired of always playing second fiddle to those golden boys in the PPP, so we're going to take it upon ourselves to make sure our mistress fulfills her true destiny.

A few billion years ahead of schedule, since she takes over after Celestia dies anyway, engulfing the entire universe in eternal darkness, but you know...why wait?

Surprisingly good Playboy article on bronies at BABSCon. Article is SFW, but maybe some of the banners and such aren't? I have them blocked so I don't know.

And new comics! Decided to leave these without spoiler bars when there's nothing particularly big.
Friendship is Magic #32
STK677586.jpg
Writer: Thom Zahler
Artist: Tony Fleecs
Cover Artist: Tony Fleecs
Synopsis: "Night of the Living Apples," Part 1! Something sinister is happening at Sweet Apple Acres! Bad apples have come alive and determined to take over all of Ponyville!

Friends Forever #18
Writer: Christina Rice
Artist: Jay P. Fosgitt
Cover Artist: Amy Mebberson
Synopsis: Everyone's favorite pegasus pair Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash star in this issue! Dash is excited to go to the Cloudsdale school reunion-but Fluttershy is harboring some bad memories and fears!

Friendship is Magic looks fun, and for Friends Forever, it is kind of surprising that it took 18 issues for this pair to show up. It seems like it could be cute. For the record, I remembered it being mentioned that Rainbow Dash was a school drop out, but that was only in reference to flight camp, so regular school may have gone fine for her.

Hmmm... hmmm...

I think I'll pass on FIENDship is Magic #4 - Nightmare Moon. The story feels pointless and the opinions on it have been meh to OK. Not as bad as reactions to the Sirens issue, but still not enough to justify spending $5 for me.

HUELEN10

The gaming side thread seems to have turned ugly. I wasn't here when FiM came out, was there a lot of brony hate? Not a brony myself, but it must get annoying having to deal with that shit like every time.

Anywho, just read Fiendship 4, and I liked it a lot. There is a page which has a drawing of
Luna
which I would just love to have as a textless poster. Not bad, not great but not bad.

I assume you mean you don't self-identify as a brony, because I know you sure do love your ponies, HUELEN. :)

I also don't self-ID as "brony" but I still think the hate/jokes are unwarranted. That said, let them be dumb. It's the Internet, what are they gonna do? Just don't engage.

HUELEN10

Indeed, that's why I shied away from that thread.

Hey, I don't like labels, but if you must, please call me a horsefucker any day, that term is way more preferable for me (which seeing as I was a day one fan on 10/10/10 on 4chan's /co/, makes perfect sense; also, don't call me a horsefucker outside of pony threads).

Anyway, look what just came in the mail!

Hey, I don't like labels, but if you must, please call me a horsefucker any day, that term is way more preferable for me (which seeing as I was a day one fan on 10/10/10 on 4chan's /co/, makes perfect sense; also, don't call me a horsefucker outside of pony threads).

Yeah, I would never call anyone something so vulgar, joke or not. Just not a kind thing to say about someone.

Those Funko figurines are some of the better official merch items that actually look like the show characters, although I know they're not perfect.

I have always been annoyed by show merchandise that doesn't look like the show. This isn't as extreme an example, but the Kenner Real Ghostbusters Proton Pack and Neutrona Wand are more different from the show version than I care for... especially the wand. Instead of a pointed tip like the ones in the show, it had this big opening so you could stick in this big long yellow cylinder that's supposed to be the "beam." It looked stupid. I was still grateful to have the toy and played with it for hours on end, but I felt so let down by Kenner. Such dumb design decisions.

McNum

You know what you must do now.
Look at them. Don't keep them apart any more.

HUELEN10

Yeah, I would never call anyone something so vulgar, joke or not. Just not a kind thing to say about someone.

Those Funko figurines are some of the better official merch items that actually look like the show characters, although I know they're not perfect.

I have always been annoyed by show merchandise that doesn't look like the show. This isn't as extreme an example, but the Kenner Real Ghostbusters Proton Pack and Neutrona Wand are more different from the show version than I care for... especially the wand. Instead of a pointed tip like the ones in the show, it had this big opening so you could stick in this big long yellow cylinder that's supposed to be the "beam." It looked stupid. I was still grateful to have the toy and played with it for hours on end, but I felt so let down by Kenner. Such dumb design decisions.
Indeed. I think I am at my pickiest with Star Trek stuff. Those are nice ships, and I just want more readily available and accurate looking for decent prices.

As far as pony goes, I think if the upcoming film designs are good, we are bound to get at least ONE very accurate piece of kit, if on that year's hallmark ornament if anything else.

HUELEN10

You know what you must do now.

Look at them. Don't keep them apart any more.
I can't. Today, I am finishing move-in for my new place, and I am gonna need more space for these 2 before I open them.

:(

Honestly, Amiibo have stolen all the space.

McNum

I can't. Today, I am finishing move-in for my new place, and I am gonna need more space for these 2 before I open them.

:(

Honestly, Amiibo have stolen all the space.
Fun fact: Smash Bros Peach actually balances pretty well between the wings of Funko Fluttershy. I know this because I did it.

Tenumi

Banned
At this point, I don't really care anymore what people label me as. They're depriving themselves of getting to know a thoughtful, caring person.

At least, that's what I'd say if I didn't have the self-confidence issues I've got, amongst other things.

I've been absent from this community because of personal feelings against it, with opinions opposing my own. I'm really sorry. I wish I was better at talking and thinking things through. I'm gonna try to be more active again.

In non-depressing news, I really should get more into the comics. I've read, like, the first comic issue and that's it so far.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the opinion on the Nightmare Moon comic that came out has a lot to do on whether or not you liked the Nightmarity arc.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I always say it because I love it so...

Reflections Arc is a must read.

https://www.comixology.com/My-Little-Pony-Friendship-Is-Magic-Vol-5/digital-comic/142886

http://www.amazon.com/dp/163140105X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think the ending could have been better, but I really enjoyed this arc as well.

PaulloDEC

The gaming side thread seems to have turned ugly. I wasn't here when FiM came out, was there a lot of brony hate? Not a brony myself, but it must get annoying having to deal with that shit like every time.

I actually look forward to those threads nowadays. I've seen so many of them here and in other places that they become a like a bizarre game of bingo. Paedophile comments? Check. Guy who won't be friends with a fan? Check. Non-fan defenders? Check. Baffled neutral parties? Check. It actually becomes comical how closely they all follow the same template now.

Nice Cadance and Shining figures by the way. Just in time for their three-year anniversary too!

At this point, I don't really care anymore what people label me as. They're depriving themselves of getting to know a thoughtful, caring person.

At least, that's what I'd say if I didn't have the self-confidence issues I've got, amongst other things.

I've been absent from this community because of personal feelings against it, with opinions opposing my own. I'm really sorry. I wish I was better at talking and thinking things through. I'm gonna try to be more active again.

In non-depressing news, I really should get more into the comics. I've read, like, the first comic issue and that's it so far.

Nice to see you around Tenumi! If you're ever wanting a comic to brighten your mood, I recommend the Luna issue of the Micro Series. Never fails to make me smile.

I think the opinion on the Nightmare Moon comic that came out has a lot to do on whether or not you liked the Nightmarity arc.

I think the ending could have been better, but I really enjoyed this arc as well.

Agree on both points.

draetenth

I have to admit it's amusing how much hatred a fan of a cartoon of little colorful horses that is trying to promote friendship can receive.

TBH, it was the hatred Bronies were receiving from everyone else that got me to watch MLP. I just got really curious to what all the fuss was about - why these Bronies were getting so much shit over a show. I've heard people say it was because Bronies were forcing the show on everyone, but I never really noticed that (other than a rise in pony Avatars and names which seemed no different to me than any other popular thing).

I think the other groups like gamers and anime fans just wanted someone to be on a lower social run than them so they could be the bullies for a change (never mind that someone can like all three things).

There used to be a lot of pony memes back in the day, and pony avatars were more common, especially on 4chan, which led to them being banned. I'm not sure to what extent, but it seems to be a lot more than it is now.

It's partially the 4chan connection, as most people outside that community view that place as the internet cesspool, and most people inside just got plain tired of it. Some people still believe it's one big troll because the series before FiM was the poster child for Cash-in toy franchise, poorly made with vapid story. The rest only hear it tangentially from thinly disguised insult articles making fun of the obsessed and mentally odd.

Compare for example, furries, where the majority of people's experience from them are creepy mascot amusement park fursuits (which likely terrorized them as a kid) and the CSI episode "Fur and Loathing."

draetenth

I think people treat this place like a wasp nest: they don't bother us and we don't bother them... It seems like the only times issues arise now are when threads like the MLP avatars are created or someone with a pony avatar posts in a relationship thread (and get quoted to oblivion by people telling them to lose it if they want a love life).

Top Bottom