• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

This is the perfect example to use next time someone says "4K is pointless unless you have a 4K display."

I have a Wolfenstein comparison that does a better job of that. Shows sharper textures, way less aliasing, and even eliminates film grain.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/99163

Screen_Shot0072.jpg
That is straight up one of the ugliest screenshots I've seen. Why is the sharpening so high?

I decided to check back in on Elite, it had been a long while. Ended up just exploring more as usually and accomplishing nothing. These screen might be the highest resolutions ones I've ever taken at 20480x11520 and 700mb. Got to love a built in super high resolution screenshot tool!

17088909398_ba00da66e9_o.png

17069259777_be55b6a3e2_o.png

I've just tried the version 1.3 update of the CryZENx mod, and it looks like the post-processing (DoF, brightening, sharpening) is more toned-down with that version:

Screen_Shot0092.jpg

Screen_Shot0109.jpg

Sini

Back in the day Crysis used to have lot of those DoF and bloom filled mods where you couldn't see shit. I always found it hilarious that some people would actually call them "photorealistic" or "immersive". Nothing immersive in DoF straight in your face and overbright bloom ruining a lot of detail, not to mention the terrible black levels and sharpening in many of the shader settings and time of day configurations used in some of the mods.
Also TOD mods that somehow remove lighting/blending with terrain texture on simple grass so it looks like it's on low settings.

Jesus christ!

I'm asshole and these look like shit.

This one actually looks pretty nice though.

SliChillax

^ I like those last two screenshots.

Grand Theft Auto IV with mods (two different shaders)

ice2014_1_21_21_22_514qujx.jpg

enb2014_1_20_8_58_31v6uqn.jpg

Not to sound like an asshole, which I will so I apologise in advance but... those look horrible. 1st, they are highly compressed which you got told once already for the first set of screens you posted. 2nd, how the hell do you play like that? It looks awful, the colours, contrast, everything. I never understood why people like these GTA IV mods, they make the game look horrible. 3rd, what's with the square pics?

Not to sound like an asshole, which I will so I apologise in advance but... those look horrible. 1st, they are highly compressed which you got told once already for the first set of screens you posted. 2nd, how the hell do you play like that? It looks awful, the colours, contrast, everything. I never understood why people like these GTA IV mods, they make the game look horrible. 3rd, what's with the square pics?
1. Abload doesn't compress images.

2. Just trying out different mods and shaders. Had no issues playing with them so far.

3. Using an old 4:3 CRT monitor.

SliChillax

1. Abload doesn't compress images.

2. Just trying out different mods and shaders. Had no issues playing with them so far.

3. Using an old 4:3 CRT monitor.

Then I don't understand why they look like they've been compressed to hell but they don't look good. You probably don't notice it on your CRT monitor but my eyes are bleeding here lol.

Then I don't understand why they look like they've been compressed to hell but they don't look good. You probably don't notice it on your CRT monitor but my eyes are bleeding here lol.
That probably might explain some of the negative reactions. A lot of images that look fine on CRT end up looking quite bad on LCD or plasma. I might have to re-check some of those screenshots when I change back to plasma.

dr_rus

witcher2_2015_04_26_0fxu33.jpg

witcher2_2015_04_26_1etue0.jpg

+ some faces as thumbnails:

Game looks astonishingly good for a 2011 release. Ubersampling is still too much for the h/w but even without it it's a pleasure to look at. I wish they'd do a DX11 renderer (XBO+PS4 "HD" version anyone?) and solve sun shadows dithering and POM AF problems...
The combat is still unbalanced and crap in my opinion though.

OtisInf

17091976200_32297721c0_o.png

17093312579_407b4f3ccd_o.png

The amount of cursing this game brings out of me is beyond funny, but I'll soldier on and finish it. I hope ;). It's just such a shame whoever was in charge of the control scheme for PC never saw a keyboard with more than 8 keys.

Top Bottom