• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That's enough, N'Gai Croal

i see many green eyed devils in here

if you think that was a racist statement, you are probably a "teenybopper jerkoff".....lol

Xenon

Youre so vain, you probably think this thread is about you
Youre so vain, Ill bet you think this thread is about you

Dont you? dont you?

jdub03

RichyDevil said:
I know he’s a nice guy who writes well and represents a “mature outsider” angle to video games journalism, but with that said I am officially tired of N’Gai Croal and his “I am a newsmaker - look at me!” self-aggrandizing.

I can’t remember anyone else in the industry who has gone to more lengths to point out how awesome, thoughtful, and important they (think they) are than Croal, who more than 2 years later continues to crow about his, ahem, “important foray” into the controversy about Resident Evil 5 and its racist overtones.

In his overwhelmingly “I am so awesome how awesome am I” self-congratulatory articles written for Edge in the past few weeks, he doesn’t contain his own back-slapping. And I quote:

“I should have known that the comments that I made to MTV News would set off a firestorm”

“Part of the reason that I wasn’t expecting there to be a furor over my statements is that I wasn’t the first to express profound unease with the imagery in the Resident Evil 5 trailer.”

“I simply stepped away from the fray, preferring to lurk instead”

“Most of my critics didn’t write back after receiving my form letter. Perhaps it was enough for them to vent; perhaps my reply was too densely argued.”

“As Takeuchi went on to explain that the enemies with the grass skirts and spears were seeking to defend the ruins from intruders and that he’d been inspired by the Indiana Jones movies, I felt like I once again understood where he’d been coming from.”

I mean, it’s all “I” and “me”; good God, man, you’re treating yourself as if you’re the center of the universe.

Reporters don’t make news – those that try to do are in the wrong business. Those that write about themselves as if they are news are even worse.

N’Gai, please – this self-created “story” is over. Long, long over. The game has been out for months; yes, the trailers and game have racist overtones. We get it, and we’ve all talked about it. Get over yourself, and get back to providing information and editorials about the industry.

You need to get over yourself and stop with all the envious hate.

Firestorm said:
Black man talks from his own perspective on racism against Black people in games.

gamers tell him to stfu and stop acting so black. N'gaaiym,nnr Croallfjal. lol, what kind of name is that.

Seriously though you know who I really can't stand? Tim Rogers.
Every damn day it's something new with him and I always have to hear about it.
Blah blah something something whatever. Makes me sick.

bluemax said:
Screw games journalists past, present and future.

They are an increasingly irrelevant bunch, tending towards endless pontification, reiteration, and self-aggrandizement.

Some are evolving better than others.

Others tread water.

Still others make (mostly terrible) podcasts.

Much like Jack Thompson and Uwe Boll, if you would just stop paying so much attention to them, they'd go away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
worthless thread made my a bitter (jealous?) OP

Mar

RichyDevil said:
I know he’s a nice guy who writes well and represents a “mature outsider” angle to video games journalism, but with that said I am officially tired of N’Gai Croal and his “I am a newsmaker - look at me!” self-aggrandizing.

I can’t remember anyone else in the industry who has gone to more lengths to point out how awesome, thoughtful, and important they (think they) are than Croal, who more than 2 years later continues to crow about his, ahem, “important foray” into the controversy about Resident Evil 5 and its racist overtones.

In his overwhelmingly “I am so awesome how awesome am I” self-congratulatory articles written for Edge in the past few weeks, he doesn’t contain his own back-slapping. And I quote:

“I should have known that the comments that I made to MTV News would set off a firestorm”

“Part of the reason that I wasn’t expecting there to be a furor over my statements is that I wasn’t the first to express profound unease with the imagery in the Resident Evil 5 trailer.”

“I simply stepped away from the fray, preferring to lurk instead”

“Most of my critics didn’t write back after receiving my form letter. Perhaps it was enough for them to vent; perhaps my reply was too densely argued.”

“As Takeuchi went on to explain that the enemies with the grass skirts and spears were seeking to defend the ruins from intruders and that he’d been inspired by the Indiana Jones movies, I felt like I once again understood where he’d been coming from.”

I mean, it’s all “I” and “me”; good God, man, you’re treating yourself as if you’re the center of the universe.

Reporters don’t make news – those that try to do are in the wrong business. Those that write about themselves as if they are news are even worse.

N’Gai, please – this self-created “story” is over. Long, long over. The game has been out for months; yes, the trailers and game have racist overtones. We get it, and we’ve all talked about it. Get over yourself, and get back to providing information and editorials about the industry.

homer.jpg

Pikelet

At the risk of saying the most cliched argument ever, if you don't like him then don't read his stuff. Though i like his page in edge for the most part i can see how others might not, but i cant see how you can let an entirely optional part of a magazine bother you. In fact the whole magazine is optional. You don't eat a razor blade and then complain that it fucking hurt.

StuBurns

Banned
This is shockingly lame. You know what I do when I don't like a person? I don't listen to them. N'Gai is a game design consultant now, it's not like he is ramming anything down your throat, it's basically, listen to the podcast he is on if you like him, or don't. I think he's cool, so I shall listen to the podcast, I suggest the OP does not.

Micromegas said:
Much like Jack Thompson and Uwe Boll, if you would just stop paying so much attention to them, they'd go away.

You know how you see women waiting in grocery store lineups, eyeing up those celebrities on the news racks and gossiping about them? Gaming journalists have more or less achieved that level of notoriety amongst their readers. It's to a point where gamers will instantly validate or discredit an opinion simply by glancing at who wrote the article. I'm not saying that all journalists are like this (some actually go out and work hard), but let's face it - these days it's mostly a game of favorites.

Scribble

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously though you know who I really can't stand? Tim Rogers.
Every damn day it's something new with him and I always have to hear about it.
Blah blah something something whatever. Makes me sick.

Tim Rogers is a great writer, but he does seem like a dickhead. I remember him posting that his arguments were right because he has 'credentials' and 'status.' Pretentious.

Again, he's an excellent writer, but his opinions aren't anything special.

Then there's that icycalm guy from Insomnia.ac. He's another story altogether. I wonder what he looks like in real life.

bj00rn_

Banned
Tetsuo9 said:
Seriously I think N'gai gets enough hate already in this forum, give him a break.

Well.., it seems like everyone in the industry who are not linked to Killzone or GT gets hate from (parts of) this forum :lol

HocusPocus said:
I got tired of him for basically being Sony's Puppet. He hasn't gotten one thing right this entire generation of consoles.
I kinda have to agree.

IIRC, at the PS3 launch, he spent significant time talking about how Genji (GIANT ENEMY CRABS) was the best looking game on any console, period. and also excellent gameplay. a must-have.

and how Resistance owned all other shooters.

I've been done with him ever since.

I've just never been a fan of his writing. He goes for a way more serious, journalistic take on games, and that's not really what I want. I'm sure there's an audience out there that's way into it, but I kind of just want to know what's going on and be entertained.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ninja Scooter said:
why do you even think about this? Who fucking cares? Don't you have anything better to post about?

Why did you quote the OP?

N'Gai is a nice guy, but I can't say he was my favorite enthusiast.

PnCIa

RichyDevil said:
Token tought us that, unless you are black, you *don´t* get it! :lol

Whether he wanted to be or not, and I think it's unfair to claim that he wanted to be, N'Gai was the story. Almost to a point that it overshadowed the actual discussion he was trying to have. Also, while I can see that there are personal pronouns in the sentences you've quoted, I don't see the self aggrandising. If you want to see self important games writing, look up Tim Rogers.

Salazar

Is he that cunning about games that his opinion would be all that sought after ? I'm not trying to talk him down, but it seems like a non-job to me.

Speevy said:
That'll do, N-Gai Croal.

That's the first thing that came to my mind too. But since I haven't seen that movie in years, I can't help but wonder why.

Anyway, the OP is right. That's some shoddy, bullshit journalism right there. There's nothing more annoying than unnecessarily making the author the centerpiece of the story.

Yixian

Banned
templeusox said:
I like him, but I see where you're coming from. He sounds a little affected sometimes.

He seems a likable fellow and knows his stuff but I see where the OP is coming from, he does come across as a lil' bit precious sometimes...

But only sometimes, and he still provides a very interesting perspective on the industry.

Ironballs

Like his work or not, his arguments on race in RE5 shouldn't be disregarded.

If the topic seriously bothers you, either hit the books or just leave it alone.

[Nintex]

I can see the next Bonus Round...

Geoff: So what's up for the future of hardcore gaming and how will Nintendo enter the HD market, find out next here on the Bonus Round with Geoff Keighly and our special guest David Jaffe!
N'Gai: NeoGAF guys, hur hur hur and I think blah blah blah
David Jaffe: Fuck the NeoGAF guys, seriously think they're all important on their throne I don't give a shit - David
Geoff: The NeoGAF guys hate you N'Gai, Pachter got a gif though! We'll be right back, here at the Bonus Round on GTTV with Geoff Keighly.
David Jaffe: Fuck that shit - David
Pachter: So yeah, they say I don't know shit about gaming (laughs)
David Jaffe: Just like I said, fuck - David
Geoff: Well that might be true Pachter and Jaffe who knows, we certainly know alot but I'm Geoff Keighly and N'Gai what do you think, the hardcore gamers they don't seem to like you and you also couldn't control NATAL.
N'Gai: *cries*
David Jaffe: Fuck it - David

adama-rama

Neo Member
Seems like a great guy. Hope he moves on to better things where his style of journalism is better appreciated.

Seriously, what was the point of this thread?

Yagharek

Sometimes he is right. Sometimes he is wrong. That's the deal with opinions. At least he puts his name to his work.

I think you've mistaken N'Ga Croal for Tim Rogers. I can see where someone would disagree with his sentiments and like him to write about other subjects, but is the accusation here truly credible? I doubt his discussion on himself was motivated more from a need to examine himself than to examine a situation to which he contributed. I understand that it's really a tired subject now, but is it exceedingly prevalent in his articles, or just a one-off in recent months? I agree that if he was to re-visit the subject continuously for months to come, it would point to an egocentric man, but let's wait until that actually happens.

I recognize that criticism of games journalism is justified, but however warranted it is, to consistently devalue one of the few who operate with a semblance of professionalism in this arena is a bit disappointing. I realize that everyone is entitled to dislike his work, and I certainly doubt the credibility of his comments when it comes to games first and foremost, but the attraction to rejecting his work around here seems a bit odd when there are much worse fish in the sea.

I don't know, it's all quite subjective, but I didn't find him to be particularly self-conscious and self-aggrandizing in his last several articles since I've started to read Edge profusely this year. I find myself leaning more to the perspective that it's his style, more than his substance, which rubs people the wrong way.

Yagharek

Tim Rogers' writing is awesome. It straddles the line between batshit insane and biting social commentary at times, and when it works it does so brilliantly. His column in Games tm magazine is a bit more concise than his web articles, so try reading that if you get a chance.

Top Bottom