• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

danowat

Banned
Just perusing the official PCars forum....

Not sure what's worse, the vitriolic screamers who want there money back, or the tub thumping evangelists who won't have a bad word said against the game, and magically have none of the bugs everyone else has.

It's a bizarre place.

Ryökäle

Neo Member
Well I drove a couple of laps just to learn the track and ended up with this:

KJhe2PX.jpg

I'm using the real settings so I guess that TC and ABS are used with the GT3 cars.

This is the first time I've actually bothered to try to learn Oulton, so I think 1.5-2.0s should come off easily from my current time if I have time to do some serious driving this week.

edit: Damn, I'm watching videos from other people's runs and didn't realize that you can go that wide in some of the corners, I just tried to stick between the white lines and didn't use the green run off areas D:

Not sure what's worse, the vitriolic screamers who want there money back, or the tub thumping evangelists who won't have a bad word said against the game, and magically have none of the bugs everyone else has.

It's a bizarre place.

This. It's quite entertaining at times, but also very strange. Ian is obviously getting frustrated at all the criticism, but some of his responses are pretty inflammatory. It's the apologists at the moment that are annoying me.

Spookie

Ian is obviously getting frustrated at all the criticism, but some of his responses are pretty inflammatory. It's the apologists at the moment that are annoying me.

Yeah his posts on Race Department were appalling. He basically went in with his back up. People raised issues asking when they were due to be fixed so they can create leagues, then he got a persecution complex and WMD members came in bashing the admins.

It's was rather embarrassing to watch a studio head act like a gamergater.

Juicy Bob

It's a bizarre place.
That is literally the case for every official racing game forum ever.

Mascot

Managed to find time to run a dozen laps at Oulton. Haven't driven it before but it seems like a good little track. Squeezed out a 1:36.526. The deadzone on my Fanatec GT2 is killing me - it's not too much of a problem when in career races as the AI are the metric, but for chasing times it's a fucking nightmare. I reckon there must be almost 40 degrees of dead wheel around the centre. Even going in a straight line is a chore..! Roll on, incoming patch.

PS4, no assists, manual gears, Fanatec GT2 connected to the wheel base with a piece of string.

Anton668

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

RUF RGT-8 GT3 @ Oulton Park (International)

---------------

1. 1.31.512 - kie25 (pic)
2. 1:31.582 - Betta Lines (pic)
3. 1.32.528 - Dilly (post), PC
4. 1:32.562 - Arucardo (pic) // PC
5. 1:32.651 - Big Takeover // pic
6. 1:32.893 - paskowitz (pic) // PC
7. 1:32.915 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1, wheel, no assists (auto clutch?)
8. 1:33:499 - PjotrStroganov (pic)
9. 1:33:867 - Scaramanger (pic) // PC, gamepad
10. 1.33.905 - Jilt (pic) // no assists wheel
11. 1:33:909 - Speech (pic) // PC/Assists Off(Auto Clutch)/Wheel
12. 1:34.691 - Ryökäle (pic) // TC and ABS
13. 1:35.049 - Scaramanger (pic) // PS4
14. 1:35:665 - Brentech (pic/ video) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
15. 1:35.787 - TylerDurden4321 (pic) // wheel, no assists but auto-clutch, softer car setup
16. 1.35.993 - PriitV (pic) // stock setup, wheel/real assists/pc
17. 1:37.200 - Anton668 (pic) // PC - DS4
18. 1:36:332 - danowat (video) // pad no assists
19. 1:38.495 - Gestault // PS4 -DS4, Auto-transmission w/ TCS
20. 1:38:716 - mitchlol (pic) // Logitech DFGT / Auto Clutch + racing line // PC
21. 1:39:040 - FunkyLounge (pic) // Newbie with a wheel, assist set to real, manual shifting, auto clutch on PC
22. 1:40:324 - Sickbean (pic) // PC, 360 pad, no assists,
23. 1:42.378 - RP912 (pic)
24. 1:46.853 - DoctorWho (pic)

you may wanna check me and danos placement... :)

Saw Rush (the movie) a few days ago for the first time and went back to Forza 5 to get the Rushed achievement today and had a nice little idea since the tyre model felt so very different compared to Project CARS:

https://youtu.be/QnEpTfkc1Ak

Annotations
- same track
- same car
- tyres are pre-heated
- stock setups
- both games list the Huayra's max. torque as 1000Nm

tested in FM5 in THIRD gear and in PCARS in SECOND gear.

Fox Mulder

This. It's quite entertaining at times, but also very strange. Ian is obviously getting frustrated at all the criticism, but some of his responses are pretty inflammatory. It's the apologists at the moment that are annoying me.

He replied to a whiny post I made and I apologized.

The game has many issues, but is playable and fun. They've been open about bugs and are fixing them. Best you can hope for really if a game isnt perfect.

What was your conclusion?

FWIW I feel the huayra in PCars has a touch too much grip.

I've never driven a car with 1000Nm torque and that expensive tyres, but I'd say PCars tyre model for road legal cars is way, WAAAY too grippy. On the other end Forza's tyre model seems to be pretty accurate for the grip (but Forza's tyres overheat too fast at loss of traction (lock or spin)... temps maybe correct, but Forza treats it like it wasn't just the surface that heats up that fast). To be fair, Forza's tyre model is probably pretty off for non-road-legal racing tyres though... (not saying that PCARS model is great)

I haven't tested it, but I'd say even the arcad'ish tyre-model from Forza Horizon 2 has less grip than that of PCARS.

Would be interesting to compare it to Assetto Corsa's model, but my graphics card isn't Direct3D 10.1 capable, that's why I don't have AC.
JFYI: A modern Formula 1 car has ~350Nm torque compared to Huayra's 1000Nm (though, if you see an F1 burnout on TV, it was probably in 1st gear...then again F1 tyres have a super lot more grip than road legal non-slicks).

danowat

Banned
I wonder if the "fudging" of the active aero system has led to the tyre grip being far too much while stationary and at slow speeds.

There does seem to be a lack in consistency in the tyre model in PCars, when judging car to car, rather than taking a single car in isolation.

I wonder if the "fudging" of the active aero system has led to the tyre grip being far too much while stationary and at slow speeds.

There does seem to be a lack in consistency in the tyre model in PCars, when judging car to car, rather than taking a single car in isolation.

Want me to take on another car that is in both games? I'm up for it, maybe this time I'd add FH2. But what modern car is in both games?
SLS seems off in PCARS, that's probably unfair... Lancer and Audi R8 are AWD... Mustang is a "R"-version in PCARS. Megane and Focus have a FWD weight-shift disadvantage from the line. Hmmmm

Edit: How about the BMW 1M? ...a car with high 1st gear ratio and more torque would be better though.

Edit2: Mclaren 12C and P1 are other options. P1 will probably have different settings for auto-KERS and -DRS though.

I just did a burnout in 2nd gear with the Pagani just fine... Are you sure auto-clutch is off?

yes it was... I usually DO auto-clutch so I don't have much experience using a clutch in racing games, but I TRIED to let off the clutch fast but still somewhat careful in both games.
Try doing a burnout in 3rd gear though...

I just did a burnout in 2nd gear with the Pagani just fine... Are you sure auto-clutch is off?

I just tried it again, because I feared you were on to something and I half-way stalled it by letting off too fast of the clutch. I also tried it only once for that video, but now I've tried it again 3 more times and I can't get more burnout than in that video no matter if I clutch a little slower or a lot slower.

SLS might be interesting, feels very grippy in PCars.

but isn't that extra unfair then?

I'd say McLaren 12C or McLaren F1.

So, with the announcement for Fanatec support on ps4 I bought some new pedals for my 911 turbo s together with pcars.

After a (successful, as stated by the utility) firmware update I can't get the wheel to work.

After the boot sequence the wheel it's just stuck, with the led display only showing "8.8.8".

Any ideas? I followed instructions and everything went smoothly. But now it just doesn't work. Can't access any platform specific mode.

Sorr for posting this here, I didn't want to create a new thread just for this.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Just lost two consecutive formula b main races because the ai didn't pit until the last lap and rolled through the line on their way in... Please patch this game!

Finally got a chance to try the Oulton Park lap. Crashed a lot, then nursed it round for a 1:40:324 (PC, 360 pad, no assists, Steam ID=Shodan).

Since there are some literal aliens on here with superhuman ability, I think my target is best pad time, which currently is 1:35:236.
This seems doable, as I braked REALLY early in a lot of the corners.

edit: pic

cIsTA23.png

In my defense, I was hammered drunk and only turned two laps.

12C felt (to me) ultra slippy in FM, so probably the F1

The McLaren F1 tyres in PCARS are called "McLaren F1", which probably means they are tyres from 1992, meaning they are older and therefore have less grip. In Forza the tyres of older cars also have less grip, but I don't think to the same degree as in PCARS (try the Ford GT in Forza and then PCARS, not the same exact same car model, but shouldn't be too different. In Forza it's an easy to drive car in PCARS you need to be really careful on the throttle).
Anyway... significantly less of a burnout difference than in the Huayra, yet still PCARS is more grippy with the F1. Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/UZ6LhsEyJEU

Because of the older tyres I doubt that the McLaren F1 is better suited for a tyre grip comparison than the Huayra. So, after the McLaren F1 test I also tried the BMW 1-Series M Coupé. In that thing it's hard to get small burnout even in FIRST gear in PCARS(~450Nm, don't know the gear ratio though)... after trying that I didn't even go to Forza for a comparison. If I remember that car right though, I probably could get a lot wheelspin, maybe even a burnout in 2nd gear in Forza.

danowat

Banned
The McLaren F1 tyres in PCARS are called "McLaren F1", which probably means they are tyres from 1992, meaning they are older and therefore have less grip. In Forza the tyres of older cars also have less grip, but I don't think to the same degree as in PCARS (try the Ford GT in Forza and then PCARS, not the same exact same car model, but shouldn't be too different. In Forza it's an easy to drive car in PCARS you need to be really careful on the throttle).
Anyway... significantly less of a burnout difference than in the Huayra, yet still PCARS is more grippy with the F1. Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/UZ6LhsEyJEU

Because of the older tyres I doubt that the McLaren F1 is better suited for a tyre grip comparison than the Huayra. So, after the McLaren F1 test I also tried the BMW 1-Series M Coupé. In that thing it's hard to get small burnout even in FIRST gear in PCARS(~450Nm, don't know the gear ratio though)... after trying that I didn't even go to Forza for a comparison. If I remember that car right though, I probably could get a lot wheelspin, maybe even a burnout in 2nd gear in Forza.

So, in short, longitudinal grip is greater in PCars, vs FM, however, which one is more realistic......

Tried any lateral grip tests using the G loading in the telemetry? That would be quite telling....

So, in short, longitudinal grip is greater in PCars, vs FM, however, which one is more realistic......

Tried any lateral grip tests using the G loading in the telemetry? That would be quite telling....

But how do you test that without different downforce modeling interfering? A slow corner that you drive through at fixed steering turn-in at varying constant-speeds until you find the maximum speed that you can still take said corner and then check the g-meter in theslow-mo of the recording? Then you would still have stuff like anti-roll bars, suspension and so on that might be different in the stock setup that would change the lateral weight transfer.
In multiplayer you could have 2 other players with AWD cars slowly pushing you sideways but that's too complicated.

If I had to guess, it's very similar with Forza having a tiny little bit less lateral grip.

Edit:
Is there a track with lots of corners, where you never fall below 50mph(to eliminate the longitudinal advantage in PCARS) but also don't exceed ~120mph(to eliminate differences in downforce modeling)? Then you could have a good guess from the difference in lap times.

danowat

Banned
Same car, one without any aero, maybe BMW 1M, same track, maybe a short Silverstone track?, run a fast lap, and just freeze frame the replay at the same place, mid apex,and note the lateral g load.

Not scientific, but might prove interesting.

Metfanant

Fine, we'll leave it as originally posted - International. Sorry for the run around.

--------------------

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

ruf76uv1.gif

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1.31.512 - kie25 (pic)
2. 1:31.582 - Betta Lines (pic)
9. 1:33:867 - Scaramanger (pic) // PC, gamepad
10. 1.33.905 - Jilt (pic) // no assists wheel
11. 1:33:909 - Speech (pic) // PC/Assists Off(Auto Clutch)/Wheel
12. 1:34.691 - Ryökäle (pic) // TC and ABS
13. 1:35.049 - Scaramanger (pic) // PS4
14. 1:35:665 - Brentech (pic/ video) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
15. 1:35.787 - TylerDurden4321 (pic) // wheel, no assists but auto-clutch, softer car setup
16. 1.35.993 - PriitV (pic) // stock setup, wheel/real assists/pc
17. 1:37.200 - Anton668 (pic) // PC - DS4
18. 1:36:332 - danowat (video) // pad no assists
19. 1:38.495 - Gestault // PS4 -DS4, Auto-transmission w/ TCS
20. 1:38:716 - mitchlol (pic) // Logitech DFGT / Auto Clutch + racing line // PC
21. 1:39:040 - FunkyLounge (pic) // Newbie with a wheel, assist set to real, manual shifting, auto clutch on PC
22. 1:40:324 - Sickbean (pic) // PC, 360 pad, no assists,
23. 1:42.378 - RP912 (pic)
24. 1:46.853 - DoctorWho (pic)

---------------

Previous Challenge - Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben Feel free to continue to post times for this one.

1:34:744 - Metfanant (pic / video) //PS4/T500RS/Real/manual w/auto clutch

lots of mistakes on this one, but it was semi happy with this lap...only my second time driving this track (ive probably turned a total of 10-12 laps), and i know with some more time i could shed a couple seconds...this car drives like a dream with "real" assists, im pretty sure i could go faster if i turned off some of the assists

Edit: pic and lap video up

Same car, one without any aero, maybe BMW 1M, same track, maybe a short Silverstone track?, run a fast lap, and just freeze frame the replay at the same place, mid apex,and note the lateral g load.

Not scientific, but might prove interesting.

BMW 1M sounds like a good choice, even though all modern cars have the chassis built for downforce and the 1 M has diffusor tech going.
Maybe I'll do that test tmorrow or some time this week.

Regarding downforce... I saw a series of 2 minute interviews some months ago with Jim Hall who more or less pioneered downforce in racing. 95% of the people I know would have been bored by it, but found it super interesting that even in the early 60s cars were built not to have lift at higher speeds then chaparral makes a car with a high upside down wing on the rear. Next year they have a DRS system... Not wanna spoil anything but they didn't stop there.

Ok, looked it up again, if anyone is interested, it can be found here:
http://www.oninnovation.com/topics/detail.aspx?playlist=2480&title=Jim%20Hall

But as I said, boring to most people and I can understand why... Still, for me it was really interesting.

Mascot

It's stock, Betta is a scary guy. I don't even want to know how fast he would be if he started tweaking the setups :p .

I'd like to try some different set ups for the RUF if any of you fasties would care to share. I've rarely tried my own tweaks but used to buy tunes in the Forza marketplace all the time from reputable garages. I always found the vast majority of cars in Forza drove like dogs straight from the showroom. It's like tuning was expected.

1:39.073 - wheel, no assist

Sometimes a man just has to admit defeat. Anytime I try to get more aggressive I'm going to far off. Narrow tracks are always a pain for me. Took me years to get decent times on the ring, so maybe one day I'll do better. But I can't do any more laps on this track before I go nuts.

Metfanant

1:39.073 - wheel, no assist

Sometimes a man just has to admit defeat. Anytime I try to get more aggressive I'm going to far off. Narrow tracks are always a pain for me. Took me years to get decent times on the ring, so maybe one day I'll do better. But I can't do any more laps on this track before I go nuts.

Run 5 laps with Real Assists..I'm genuinely interested in what your time looks like

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

---------------

1. 1:31.408 - Betta Lines (pic)
2. 1.31.512 - kie25 (pic)
9. 1:33:843 - saladine1 (pic)
10. 1:33:867 - Scaramanger (pic) // PC, gamepad
11. 1.33.905 - Jilt (pic) // no assists wheel
12. 1:33:909 - Speech (pic) // PC/Assists Off(Auto Clutch)/Wheel
13. 1:34.691 - Ryökäle (pic) // TC and ABS
14. 1:34:744 - Metfanant (pic / video) //PS4/T500RS/Real/manual w/auto clutch
15. 1:35:047 - Flightwave (pic) // Wheel, real assists, automatic
16. 1:35.049 - Scaramanger (pic) // PS4
17. 1:35:665 - Brentech (pic/ video) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
18. 1:35.787 - TylerDurden4321 (pic) // wheel, no assists but auto-clutch, softer car setup
19. 1.35.993 - PriitV (pic) // stock setup, wheel/real assists/pc
20. 1:36:332 - danowat (video) // pad no assists
21. 1:38.495 - Gestault // PS4 -DS4, Auto-transmission w/ TCS
22. 1:36.526 - Mascot (pic) // PS4, no assists, manual gears
23. 1:37.200 - Anton668 (pic) // PC - DS4
24. 1:38:716 - mitchlol (pic) // Logitech DFGT / Auto Clutch + racing line // PC
25. 1:39:040 - FunkyLounge (pic) // Newbie with a wheel, assist set to real, manual shifting, auto clutch on PC
26. 1:39.073 - soundscream // wheel, no assist
27. 1:40:324 - Sickbean (pic) // PC, 360 pad, no assists,
28. 1:42.378 - RP912 (pic)
29. 1:46.853 - DoctorWho (pic)

Here you go. Put this competitive time up in the list, lol.

So I just started playing this game, have it for the xbox one, no wheel. I guess I need to mess with the settings more, because just looking at the left analog stick sends my car flying off track.

Also, where are you guys finding the leaderboards?

PS4 version - Didn't see a photo thread for Project Cars so I thought I might post these here. Hope that is ok.

Game is awesome, and I'm sure it will keep getting better.

K1uPQlG.jpg

1RrIdRb.jpg

eLVzZq5.jpg

LufRR23.jpg

5CWh7Mg.jpg

N00A07o.jpg

^ Damn the game looks really good in photo mode. Wish we could get to the point where in game looks exactly like that. It looks great in game but not that as amazing as that

Top Bottom