• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze Unveils Project StarVR

MattyG

Banned
So that's unexpected.

StarVR website

Video

Starbreeze and 505 Games are getting the jump on E3 with an unexpected hardware announcement. We've known since Gamescom that the developer has been working on a cooperative shooter set in The Walking Dead universe. Today we had a chance to see a parallel virtual reality project.

Project StarVR is Starbreeze's own headset with the help of InfinitEye. The difference here is that Project StarVR features a 210-degree field of view and 5K display. The effect is enhanced peripheral vision.

We were given a ten-minute a vertical slice demo that worked like a rail shooter, with the character in a wheelchair. Partway through, I was handed a pump-action shotgun (both in the game and physically). A camera tracked the headset and the markers on the gun, made by Trinity VR. That company repositioned itself in the burgeoning market after its unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign.

Tracking was quite good, with hand movement in-game interpretted by the position of the gun. Aiming worked well, and I was able to use the shotgun to remove the heads of oncoming walkers.

While the end of the demo, which featured a zombie crawling up my leg while another had lunch on my neck, was potent, the hardware has some room to grow. There was some pixelation and screendoor effect. This is a problem that Oculus solved with the Crescent Bay demo at Oculus Connect in September. With more time (Starbreeze and InfinitEye have been working on the project for just a year), these problems can be solved.

Likewise, the weight needs to be improved. The StarVR headset is currently too heavy for long-term comfort.

There's no timeframe for release at this point and, of course, no pricing. What we do know is that this won't hold up Overkill's The Walking Dead. The vertical slice we saw was made for the announcement, and may evolve into its own project.

Starbreeze is off to a good start, with a focus on improving field of view in the exploding VR arena. With a while before release, the company will need to keep an eye on competition in order to retain its uniqueness.

What. Why.

omg they are doing VR lol

EDIT: how big is Starbreeze that they can make a VR hardware?
I hope this doesn't bankrupt them. Its ambitious for them

Man

5K and 210degree fov.
We need eye-tracking and FOVeated rendering to become reality to drive something like that with VR framerate and latency requirements.

nomis

5K and 210degree fov.
We need eye-tracking and FOVeated rendering to become reality to drive something like that with VR framerate and latency requirements.

I thought the same as you until recently, but the root of "foveated" isn't "FOV" it's "fovea" as in the pinpoint that your eyes are aimed at.

...why

why would you think you'll be able to compete in a field that has Valve and fucking Facebook as competitors? Isn't pretty much the only successful thing they have right now Payday 2?

jetsetrez

Starbreeze so rich they don't even know what to do with the money

LOOK AT ALL DEEZ PAYDAY 2 MONEYZ BREHS
WE SHOULD, LIKE, MAKE A VR HEADSET OR SOMETHING *drunk hiccup*
LEZ DO ITS
Look at all of this money, guys! Almost nobody makes this stuff in video games anymore!

..So how can we make this disappear almost as fast as literally burning it?

That's pretty much how I imagine this decision was made

I just hope it doesn't come back to bite them. They right the ship after some of the the OG talent left during/after Syndicate with Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and bringing Payday 2 into the fold, but I don't think throwing themselves at VR hardware is the right move.

Yeah this seems like a risky move. They should probably release some more Paydays first and work on this in their spare time lol

jediyoshi

http://www.starvr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GADtniiZL9c

5Qeobxk.png

cuVKAE6.png

REALISTIC IMAGE QUALITY
Dual 5.5" Quad HD Displays
2560x1440 pixels per eye
5K total Panoramic definition

UNIQUE 210° WIDE FIELD OF VIEW
Custom Fresnel-based Optics
Crystal-clear image across the entire field of view
210-degree Horizontal FOV
130-degree Vertical FOV

POSITION TRACKING
Real-time 6 Degrees of Freedom
360° Submillimeter Optical Tracking
IMU and Optical sensor fusion for a low-latency experience

Wait...this is not a joke?

How would they possibly ship a VR HMD with a display that has a 210 degree field of view and a 5K resolution?

What...?

ArcLyte

It actually makes some sense that an FPS developer would attempt to compete in the VR space, sounds like they have some plans besides "diversify", especially considering their past innovation in the genre.

That wasn't a success.
While the port is the best selling Atari 2600 game of all time, selling an estimated 7 million copies, and was the best-selling home video game of all time when it was released,[3] critics focused on the gameplay and audio-visual differences from the arcade version. Initially, the port boosted the video game industry's presence in retail. It was followed by Atari 2600 ports of Pac-Man* '​s arcade sequels.
Sounds pretty successful, no?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What is different about crescent bay that the people who saw it said it had no screendoor issues, but this 5k display does have screendoor issues?

They expected to sell 9 million copies and produced for that number. The game failed to meet expectations.
Still seems pretty successful to me, best selling of all time and all that. Not meeting crazy expectations shouldn't really change that. They did made money on it I assume?

Top Bottom