• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay officially announced - $30 and available August 4, 2015

Robin64

I just can't decide which game I want to play first. Torn between one of the two Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker. Anyone having this same debate?

I have no problem deciding what to play first.

2U4jkg9.jpg

There's a clue here somewhere.

The Flash

Banned
I'm super excited for this collection. But no Wizards and Warriors? Why?

Not sure. I think it'd be cool if they added more games as dlc. W&W and Live and Reloaded for example.

Also I'm going to take this opportunity for a humble brag and say that Rare like me and they think I'm nice.

-MD-

They really need to up their merch game

https://www.insertcoinclothing.com/blog/2015/06/30-years-in-the-making-new-rare-range-incoming/

We are very proud to announce that we are working with the amazing team at Rare to create a huge collection of designs celebrating stacks of their classic games – from Banjo Kazooie to Perfect Dark, Viva Piñata to Battletoads… and of course Conker!

Keep ‘em peeled for lots of information over the coming weeks…

The Flash

Banned

Nice.

What exactly are you on about? :p

https://twitter.com/RareLtd/status/615495470962618368

pretty pumped for this set but it makes me bummed again that Goldeneye HD is completed but can never be released thanks to nintendo being a punk :(

I thought it was more to do with the James Bond license than anything

joedick

Then who does? I'm pretty sure Rare does. It's their own IP, after all. :/

Here's what it says on the Wizards & Warriors box:

Kuros TM and Wizards & Warriors TM are trademarks of Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. (c) 1987 Rare Ltd.
(c) 1987 Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.

The third game has similar language on the box but makes no mention of Rare.

nope. it's only nintendo as the cause. game was all set to release on virtual console/xbox 360 and nintendo shut it down for.... reasons

IIRC, Nintendo wasn't happy that GoldenEye HD couldn't run on the Wii (360 wouldve got the HD game where as Wii would just get the Virual Console version of the N64 original). GoldenEye Reloaded or whatever it was called was released as a compromise.

I'm hoping that they change their stance and let it release now that they have the capable Wii U to handle the game.

Then who does? I'm pretty sure Rare does. It's their own IP, after all. :/

I don't know what the status of it is now, but as joedick points out, it was originally registered to Acclaim. Where it goes from there, I have no idea. But it's most likely with Throwback Entertainment.

IIRC, Nintendo wasn't happy that GoldenEye HD couldn't run on the Wii (360 wouldve got the HD game where as Wii would just get the Virual Console version of the N64 original). GoldenEye Reloaded or whatever it was called was released as a compromise.

I'm hoping that they change their stance and let it release now that they have the capable Wii U to handle the game.

well why would they be surprised an HD version of the game couldn't run on the wii? the wii didn't have the capabilities of running HD resolutions. who knows what really happened but i seem to remember reading a story around 2009 or so when this all went down that nintendo, ms, activision and rare had a deal in place for goldeneye and nintendo pulled out at the last minute. there are of course multiple sides to the story and maybe this isn't 100% accurate but it's the only story i've ever seen on it so what else can we go with?

daTRUballin

I don't know what the status of it is now, but as joedick points out, it was originally registered to Acclaim. Where it goes from there, I have no idea. But it's most likely with Throwback Entertainment.

Oh yeah, because Acclaim was shut down, wasn't it? I actually thought it was still around, and just searched it up on Google.

I guess I either forgot or didn't know. :/

I'm still curious why the 360 Backwards Compatibility can't handle the Vision Camera and Kinect. Hell, one is just a webcam, I use it on my PC. I hope that's something MS fixes in the future in general, unless they can't due to a major hardware issue (like the USB inputs have added security, like on PS4).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm sure this has been answered already but what resolution and frame rate should I expect Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark to run at?

I'm still curious why the 360 Backwards Compatibility can't handle the Vision Camera and Kinect. Hell, one is just a webcam, I use it on my PC. I hope that's something MS fixes in the future in general, unless they can't due to a major hardware issue (like the USB inputs have added security, like on PS4).

Well, one thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the X360 OS (which is wrapped in each BC game) is so coupled to the 360 Kinect that it does the whole repositioning thing (servo motors) that is absent in the X1 Kinect.

Shauni

well why would they be surprised an HD version of the game couldn't run on the wii? the wii didn't have the capabilities of running HD resolutions. who knows what really happened but i seem to remember reading a story around 2009 or so when this all went down that nintendo, ms, activision and rare had a deal in place for goldeneye and nintendo pulled out at the last minute. there are of course multiple sides to the story and maybe this isn't 100% accurate but it's the only story i've ever seen on it so what else can we go with?

I think the point he's trying to get across is that Nintendo didn't want an 'inferior' version of technically the same game on their platform vs a competitor. But you are right, no one really knows the true story and it's all fan speculation about what really happened, so who knows.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is it nuts that I'm more excited for this, then virtually any other release?

Seriously, I can't fucking wait to dive into this collection!!

I really picked a perfect time to have replayed Jet Force a couple months ago for the first time in 10+ years...

The announcement of the collection made me start playing that new file I had created a few months earlier again. Man, I love that game.

I actually already own like half the games in Rare Replay and still play them, but I'm buying this, anyway.

How did it hold up from a gameplay perspective?

Tighter controls and a better frame-rate would do wonders for making Jet Force better to play but the Tribal collectathon kills the pace of the game no matter what. We even had my old guide for the game and it was still a pain to play the final 1/3 of just hunting down the little bears.

If I hadn't had other people playing with me I think I would have lost steam and given up like I always did when I was younger.

Top Bottom