• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
RIP. The man was an inspiration. I am not in the habit of thinking international corporate executives are friendly and engage with their fellow man - but Iwata was the type of man who cared very much about games and the medium, and they were part of his soul. The fact that he was also good-natured and was loved by many worldwide at the same time is a testament to how important he was to the industry.

sorry if this was posted already, Nintendo World Store has a memorial set up:

CJzu7wkUYAEMovt.jpg

CJzu7wnUEAAGthc.jpg

(via https://twitter.com/brawndwarf)

I wish I could go there. Don't have many gamer friends in real life who understand why this is such a big deal to me. I can't even imagine what his family is going through now... So terrible.

Rest in peace Iwata-san.

G-Unit

Man I almost cried yesterday and today. When Miyamoto san passes away... I can only imagine how sad i'm gonna feel.

RIP Iwata San

bucyou55

Banned
I understand the big milestone that the current neogaf tag represents, but iwata is directly related to the history of videos games and was a visionary. It would be only proper to commemorate him.

Ecliptor

Kinda lttp for this, but I'd love it if someone could spare another ribbon (might as well use my first one right).

fJ3F9wb.png

Enforcer made me one last night but the dropbox got taken down.

can someone please ribbon my avatar for me? I would really appreciate it.

R2M8oCi.jpg

I would like a ribbon for my avatar if someone is willing to.. please

P7UHmKd.png

Can someone please add a ribbon on my avatar? I want to honour him.

LxojrjN.jpg

I hope they're ok

I'm going to put my Mii in black for 49 days (till August 29th).

I wouldn't have thought it would shake me like this. I'm clearly more sentimental / sensitive than a lot of people but I'm really touched here. Doesn't mean everybody has to be emotional or see the good person he was but it clearly demonstrates how Nintendo always had a big presence in my life.

LogN

I've had this whole thing on my mind awhile, as my mother has cancer as well. Like Steve Jobs, he hid how sick he was from the public and kept doing business as usual. That sys so much about his character as a person to have the strength and courage to do that.

He did himself and family proud by continuing to fight right to the end, not giving in to illness.

To, me the E3 Nintendo Direct makes more sense and I appreciate it a hell of a lot more now. IMO, Iwata wanted it to be fun and light-hearted because he knew what was going to happen. Hell, the doctors probably gave him the bad news months ago.

I nominate that gaffers make Mario levels dedicated to Iwata when Mario Maker comes out in September. He should never be forgotten.

Cosmozone

I would've never thought I would be that sad for a person I even didn't know personally and I'm not even considering myself as a Nintendo fan. But apparently, I am, perhaps more of Iwata than the rest of Nintendo? Such a humble and hard working individual. Serving the company until the very end. His love for everything gaming. And being so nice and accessible to every body. Condolences to his family and to everybody who knew him better.

I spent my whole day at work fighting with the tears. Simply astonishing.

Definitely one of the most foundation shaking events to happen in the all too brief history of gaming---the man was a cheerful and earnest pillar of the era still unfolding before us.

Pretty astounding to see the massive outpouring of art tributes and all else---fitting to see a case where somebody that had a hand in making the world a bit brighter for so many people the world over actually get a sendoff that matches in kind.

Still tremendously depressing as he had so much left in him still.

Damn so sudden

You might not agree with his direction of Nintendo, his vision of business, but you should apreciate his charisma, his work and skill as a programer, his game design philosophy, which perfectly captured the Nintendo unique way of aproaching gaming. And I do appreciate all that.

But what always me impressed more is his passion for games, humbleness and general positive actitude. While most CEO seems obssesed with sales numbers, profits and all, Iwata stayed on the ground, not like those things didn't mattered. But he always seemed to look at game creation from the ground, he understood what make Nintendo special and never traded that for better numbers. How most CEOs could make an "Iwata asks" series? How most of them were so close to the game development and how well would they understand it?

RIP Iwata, your legacy will live forever

Listening to this

while reading this

completely broke me. Rest in peace, you beautiful man.

Right in the feels man.

GhaleonQ

Can anyone translate Yoot Saito's tribute?
http://www.yoot.com/2015/07/岩田さんありがとうございましたそしてさようなら.html

Yoot Saito said:
Iwata-san, thank you. And, goodbye.

Today, I'm obituary has had died Nintendo Iwata president's ... that became announcement ....

Iwata's time that I was committed know, because is that of 1996, it was Iwata's not wearing a suit. We have to see you at the Kofu HAL Laboratory. Iwata-san, the game industry has to bring unusual always the Mac (PowerBook). There somehow (perhaps each other), what you like is I am with, I was feeling like a sense of solidarity. As per the following year, I remember thinking and be seen to have brought Apple G3PowerBook who had hesitated to buy me a even "this person'm like Mac in earnest."

And from it a little later to join us to work, at that time, the time the game called "Seaman" had dominated the all at once, it is the. Around this time, we are Nunn What with Toka planning Toka Toka contract coverage of sequel, had been terribly busy.

Among such, Iwata-san who have been approached "Do not see," did the I who have need to in Tokyo apartment that was rented in order to sleeping.

But you know people that there is that it is now you meet, because Iwata-san, You are always out the aura to be in a happy mood or rather why a sense of security. So I wonder When you are together, awfully good feeling. That's right, even a story of work. Iwata-san of the day, was he wearing a (state of which is not accustomed to wear rather than the usual casual clothes) jacket. And it was a bit embarrassed likely to be "I'm doing this thing now," proffered business cards. to see if, or does not have to have the title with Nintendo president's office. HAL Laboratory (Iwata-san had entered the game industry because there was this company) Place the distance from, and that it and came to the Nintendo of help. (HAL Laboratory had under the umbrella of Nintendo's)

On this day, the Iwata became visible you are, "as Nintendo platform, different from the past, and Yukitai incorporate a new field of the game, to have a work of such special mission" was the gist of the story, such as . And "something like Seaman it Darrisuru" I was saying also. When I think now, it might have had First Step of preparation work to become in the next management team. Of course Iwata's that time was a wind that I do not think it is that thought to do that.

The first place, "Seaman" Nante game, speaking industry specific, because I did something like guerrillas as planning, Who did that I do not think it is to hit as one person, only Nintendo's Miyamoto (and Tezuka-san) is since I am allowed to variously consultation and show you from the planning stage, there are circumstances had me quite amused. Until the actual determined is developed for the Dreamcast, also talk that do the hard of Nintendo's there was intermittent. Iwata there is also such circumstances also would had me to attention. Followed by the unexpected sold out immediately after the sale, I think because the pub was continued as angry waves, even if the Iwata-san and I wanted was that it called "creator to make such strange game'll keep to fellow".

The ⚫️ that I am allowed to experiment

It triggered, I was with us quite a lot of the "experiment" and Nintendo's. Fruitful but I was not too much (laughs), we made a proto of a lot of "strange things". (Instead of the DS) has been various experiments of "passing communication mock" in the Game Boy. During the school of junior high school age, always ride the same train, to women students who do not even know the name, or there is no way to confess? Sprinkled a like a story there is a memory you have discussion,

The photograph is one shot of such time. (Sasa~tsu to have board is an experimental program prototype of the middle-house development.)

Things ⚫️DS and passing communication

When the wii comes out even when the Nintendo DS comes out also, First and foremost Kudasari please contact us, who have their own demonstration. And "what do you make I were Saito-san?" And eagerly I heard come. It was more polite to really people. And (it is also your own creator but) it was people who do not forget the Respekt against creator.

Before DS launch of, it is that when it is received from the direction of the support staff a presentation for the development company in Nintendo's. "Nearly description is the end all. What questions Have you?" It is said that, I've heard that "almost something Is there still say?". Then, if you are waiting for is said to be "after one, but there is a new feature, it Iwata directly Parakh Please wait could of had been saying like to presentation to Saito-san", Iwata-san down from the president's office is come, "Saito, (but did not have this naming) passing communication at that time, we've implemented in this DS" I who have joyfully demo with. Is not it can be quite a lifetime because this kind of experience. I can not be had in this era in this industry, I am allowed to a rare experience Iwata-san, I'd say a very lucky man.

⚫️wii controller

It rests on the wiki, story that I have proposed that there is better to put the speakers to the controller after the announcement on Nintendo's is, when asked if true, is true. It is a story of somewhere of grilled meat shop in Kyoto. It was a story in three people with Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san. But of this story is amazing, the (already after that press announcement mock photo of) at that point in time, and that would in the past to once or twice there was absolutely even in-house, an artifact that, give the speaker, and (major in nor belong to the maker of my Gotoki claim), I actually think it's Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san had changed from drawing level. I'm just not only was doing the nagging outfield.

But quite interesting story at this time became the reply, and then omitted here.

Seaman of ⚫️3DS

When the Nintendo 3DS comes out, it's given us sounded as "Saito-san, why not me doing in this Seaman" is, in 1999 at the beginning, it must have been the same feeling as when you who have visited the apartment. We also I was to have embarked on this work, but become to be very confusing, last in ... and it is an opportunity got away my hand, so far as to feel free to Kyoto The visit, the ... relationship that was lost that can be exchange of courtesies "I intend Adako" for new ideas. To return to the flooded den just to creative relationship of that time it had been branded would need time.

And I heard a let me know that often because of the well not your illness to rest, the last year of early summer, it was in the taxi on the move. And the people of the big game that odd-even to Yuji-san and Horiemon that Takafumi Horie's Horii of Dragon Quest, it also has a store strongly because such things when you have rode in three people.

You again when I see in the media, "Iwata-san, I was finally return!?" And be happy was I, but I'm God did not let him do so comfortably and ... (Nintendo) Tezuka san, though who have said, "What about Try taken directly apo?", but did not contact me sink marks care. And while not meet you finally and Iwata-san while you are hesitant, I know that you've really pass each other. To this man, and when if now leading to heaven there is "passing communication", I wish. Then I bought immediately the DS, I want to say now to thank. Too late but it is good story insects. When I would leave the Seaman project, letters were sent to Iwata-san along with the books, I wonder had been available to read properly? Much it has become concerned about. After, Ootama, the delivery time was completely missed the timing late. I'm really sorry. I wonder a lot of things that I want to say to the other, even if suddenly heard the obituary in the media, suddenly past, Hey do not know well what to do.

The Life is always regret continuous.

Iwata-san, was really cheers for good work. Thank you for everything. I I a person who does not much respect for the person, but Iwata's thing was not really respected. Always it was thought to be "great wonder" from a distance.

And I become just another word, please rest slowly.

The remaining I, or rather life, I've been verge of despair as creator, once again, you decided to try to challenge.

Iwata-san, a lot of stuff, thank you.

Basically, it sounds like Saito had far more project attempts with Nintendo than were released, and Iwata buoyed his creativity with support and encouragement.

To, me the E3 Nintendo Direct makes more sense and I appreciate it a hell of a lot more now. IMO, Iwata wanted it to be fun and light-hearted because he knew what was going to happen. Hell, the doctors probably gave him the bad news months ago.
I was thinking about this earlier.

What if part of the reason Iwata ditched the physical E3 press conference and (more importantly) went with puppets in the digital event instead of normal live-action is because he didn't want the fans to see him in such poor health? Or perhaps he was literally too ill to have a live appearance?

No way of knowing for sure, but man its depressing even to entertain the thought. :(

CorwinB

I'm back from work, and now I'm free to let the tears roll when reading this thread and seeing the beautiful homages from people all over the world, be they corporate giants, famous game developers, or fellow gamers.

I don't have any artistic skills, I can't draw something in Miiverse or sing a song, or write poetry, I just want to try to explain why this means so much to me.

Mr. Iwata's work and dedication to making gaming accessible and fun for everyone have allowed me to connect my hobby with some of the people I love most, and make them understand "what the fuss was all about".

One of my best video gaming memories will always be watching my mother, who always hated video games back when I was a kid try Wario Ware Touched and Brain Training on my DS and immediatly "get it" and not letting the console down, for the first time enjoying a video game without being hindered by the controls. My wife and I gave her a DS Lite for her next birthday, and she played with it daily for years. We later had similar great gaming moments when playing Wii Sports.

Both my daughters (now aged 12 and 8) have grown up with video games being a part of their lives, and I've always felt important that they had access to actual video game systems and not just tablets and cellphones. Nintendo consoles being "teh kiddies" with the easy to use, robust hardware and family-friendly licences were the perfect starting point. To them, Mario, Kirby and Zelda are a part of their childhood just like Mickey Mouse, and we have a great time passing the controller around each time a new WiiU game arrives at the house as we sit in the couch and discover another wonderful world (latest ones being Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World).

So thank you for all of this, M. Iwata. You will be sorely missed.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Iwata and his work, and damn what a refreshing and original character he was.

Iwata was responsible for revitalizing a company in steep decline with two of the biggest surprise hits in video game history (Wii and DS)

Iwata loved video game culture, he was a big contributor to it, he had a unique vision for it, he will be fondly remembered by it

he'll have a big place in my heart forever

iwata-san ~~~~ ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom