• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Arslan: The Warriors of Legend - Coming west Early 2016 on PS4, PS3 & Xbox One!

I haven't started the new Anime yet, but considering KoeiTecmo brought FOTNS Musou out in the US... I think they're the kinda company that brings games to any size fandom, and I rather love that about them. They'll help grow a brands awareness, and not just piggyback off established popularity. They bring out a lot I'm sure other publishers would skip over.

... Like I said, Xbox gets a lot of fresh, unique Japanese games, and even going into this gen, the system was getting it's first Kingdom hearts, and had original games like Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3 and D4, which aren't necessarily appearing on any other consoles.

They had some nice relationships with publishers coming out of 360 (Such as with Treasure and SNKP, old Team Ninja,even 5bp and Cave).

Add to that that half of what PS4 got that I found interesting (even with a PS3, I don't care about the Uncharted series, Resistance, GoW, etc), also had a Vita version, or even a PS3 one, and I think that's all enough reason. There was little reason to think things like Street Fighter 5 would be skipping the X1, especially when it was the first of it's gen that had a fight stick and new fighter out.

I still don't think it'll feel right playing Shenmue on a Sony system, heh.

You're still just explaining why you personally prefer the X1 as oppose to PS4.
Which is perfectly fine, but let's not pretend it's due to the overwhelming quantity or quality of Japanese games expected.

Kingdom Hearts are on both consoles, so it's a net 0.
D4/DR3, which are also on PC, counts but not games with PS3/Vita ports?

Treasure, SNKP stopped putting up games on XBLA around 2011. Old Ninja Team is, as the name implies, old and gone.

5pb? None of 5pb xbox exclusive that is localized in the west. While Steins Gate is PS console exclusive in the west. That's not even in your argument's favor unless we want to open the pandora box on which console has more import titles.

Cave is a valid one, but so far no news from them while we know the Touhou games are coming to the PS4 in 2016.

Uncharted series, Resistance, GoW not interesting you is unrelated to the discussion of Japanese games.

If Persona 5, SRW games, Vanillaware games, DQ, etc were exclusive to the XBOX, then I couldn't care less about what I think of Halo or Forza (Gears is fine.)

-----------------

As for Shenmue 3 being weird on a Sony system.
I don't know why any Shenmue fan would care. I would play Shenmue 3 even if was only playable on the wii and requires full waggle+leather tight motion tracking suit.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't announce a steam port upfront, since most of omega force's efforts have been ported to steam so far (which is only about 3-4 games I think, dw8xl, dw8e, sw4-2, toukiden, bladestorm, I think that's it)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I havent watched the anime yet, but i guess i'll buy this, it looks interesting.

Tohsaka

Damn, only 25 episodes?
I don't know the source material but seeing this was a Tanaka book, I expected something at least twice longer.
Dreams crushed.

It could get another season later, I'm not sure how long the novel it's based on is or how much the anime has covered as of yet. I'm enjoying it so far, though.

Shouta

Damn, only 25 episodes?
I don't know the source material but seeing this was a Tanaka book, I expected something at least twice longer.
Dreams crushed.

Probably want to cut it off at a good point before deciding to make another or not. The novels are still ongoing and are at 14 novels currently, so it's not like they're short on material. Where they're currently is book 3 or so, I believe. So they might reach the end of Part 1 by the end of 25 episodes or maybe not, lol

Getting to play as Daryun is gonna be awesome.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Bro its time to move on and admit that the Xbone is not going to get the japanese support the PS4 is getting. If you want japanese games get a PS4.

Note that I never said it was getting the same support. My point was that the unique titles that MS got from Japanese devs were a reason to say "I got a Microsoft system for the Japanese output". Especially since I already have a Vita and PS3.

I think having a PSP and Vita really make me not care for PS3 as much... the XMB reminds me of PSP too much, and the way the system works makes it really annoying to work with (Crappy install stuff, all the "installs" for trophies upon boot, the annoying spamming of messages from any and all people, etc)

Very true, it was abundantly clear at Square's Presser at E3.

I really feel like PC and Vita are doing the PS4 more favors than the system itself, in a way. If not for those 2 having strong, easy port options, the One (and to a lesser extent, the Wii U) Would probably get more even love in the west, like between the systems last gen.

I mean. The mod Kagiri and I have had a discussion on these lines in quite a few threads now. I speak from a retail perspective, she has discussions with the companies and also from other sources.

The audience that bought 360s to play Japanese games last generation has effectively ceased to be on the Xbox platform. Which is understandable, because right from the get go this time around, Xbox has shown that they will not be getting the larger unique Japanese titles that they had last generation. A lot of that is more to do with the fact that the Japanese publishers saw the games that they released on the 360 didn't really do that well, and when they ported them to the PS3, they were outsold there, even with late ports. Not only that, the Japanese game presence effectively died after 2010 on the 360.

Now we see the Japanese publishers tripping over themselves to release PS4 versions of games in the west, and the few titles being made for both systems (PS4 and XB1) vastly favor the PS4 version. Our current preorders for games coming on both, like KH3 and FFXV have preorder numbers for the XB1 that are frankly not worth talking about. The deals to bring those two games were made before the systems released, and since the generation has begun, the Japanese game support on the XB1 has been almost nil. I would not expect that to change.

And none of the people in this thread have said anything to imply that we're actively supporting them not bringing the games to the system, it's not a console wars kind of thing. It's more just objectively considering the facts of what's on the table at this point.

I don't play Uncharted, Resistance, etc. I'm not really interested in any of Sony's Western exclusives. But Sony platforms are the only place to count on a major array of JRPG support for a home console, and for more diverse options in a handheld (My Vita is a fiend for JRPGs).

Yeah, I think MSoft is dropping the ball harder than usual on the JP front, and it's been pretty annoying to watch as an owner of the system. I don't entirely mind the idea of support drying up, I just don't like it being so fast, ha.

Sony's poor treatment of the Vita also makes me not really care about jumping onto the hardware they're focusing on, really.

I understand this stuff isn't console warsey, but it gets pretty old jumping into threads, happy to see a game you like coming to system you own, and then needing to go through so many "LoL, Whut?! No one on that system is gonnna buy it!" post, haha.

Exactly this.

I appreciate it anyway. I guess they still want to market a next DOA and such to owners on other systems, and having a few other games to keep your name relevant and in front of their eyes makes sense. As does porting one of the lighter "first in a new series" games, which are always more specific-character focused than those later entries.

Even when I had a PS3 and 360, I bought all the ones I could on the Xbox. There's something really, REALLY annoying about being on a long-playing game like a Musou, with no connection to people you care to hold conversation with. Even more so in this world of shares, record-that's, and screenshots.

Faerith

Neo Member
I hope they do a Kamimura-Pharangese costume DLC. T_T
It could get another season later, I'm not sure how long the novel it's based on is or how much the anime has covered as of yet. I'm enjoying it so far, though.

Looking at this. they are around the third book (of currently 14+1)?

vypek

The artwork looks so familiar. Trying to remember the name of the artist who seems to do similar work or this might be the exact artist.

The artwork looks so familiar. Trying to remember the name of the artist who seems to do similar work or this might be the exact artist.

Fullmetal Alchemist?
Silver Spoon?

Those two and the current Arsland adaptation were all illustrated by Hiromu Arakawa.

vypek

Fullmetal Alchemist?
Silver Spoon?

Those two and the current Arsland adaptation were all illustrated by Hiromu Arakawa.

Yes! Thats it! Lol. Thanks. I couldn't remember the manga/show or the artist name even though I could picture it just fine. Thank you. It was Arakawa I was trying to remember.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Purely because of how much Sony's system was against Sega's in the days of Shenmue. There was a good amount of Sony Fandom that besmirched the game and tried to belittle it, so it really feels awkward to have those "same people" now acting as if they loved the system and game. It's a petty thing, surely, exaggerated by the fact Shenmue 2 was an Xbox Exclusive in the US. I always felt Yakuza was a perfect Shenmue-ish game for the PSX crowd, would have loved for Xbox to get Shenmue to fill that void, especially since Microsoft acted as if they might have been interested in it a few times.

You're still just explaining why you personally prefer the X1 as oppose to PS4.
Which is perfectly fine, but let's not pretend it's due to the overwhelming quantity or quality of Japanese games expected.

Kingdom Hearts are on both consoles, so it's a net 0.
D4/DR3, which are also on PC, counts but not games with PS3/Vita ports?

Treasure, SNKP stopped putting up games on XBLA around 2011. Old Ninja Team is, as the name implies, old and gone.

5pb? None of 5pb xbox exclusive that is localized in the west. While Steins Gate is PS console exclusive in the west. That's not even in your argument's favor unless we want to open the pandora box on which console has more import titles.

Cave is a valid one, but so far no news from them while we know the Touhou games are coming to the PS4 in 2016.

Uncharted series, Resistance, GoW not interesting you is unrelated to the discussion of Japanese games.

If Persona 5, SRW games, Vanillaware games, DQ, etc were exclusive to the XBOX, then I couldn't care less about what I think of Halo or Forza (Gears is fine.)

-----------------

As for Shenmue 3 being weird on a Sony system.
I don't know why any Shenmue fan would care. I would play Shenmue 3 even if was only playable on the wii and requires full waggle+leather tight motion tracking suit.

I think you're missing my point. My point was that the Xbox brand has had some good exclusive games from Japanese devs that were worth buying their system for. They've always had a few exclusives, mostly towards the beginning of a systems release, and fewer as the system went on, that I'd say were worth owning the system for, even as a fan of Japanese games. I never said I was trying to do some tit-for-tat
XB1 gets all the JP GAMES, HUR HUR!" war or anything, My main point was that it's not unreasonable to get an Xbox system in it's early years, for the hope of some exclusive JP games, and a few more over the lifetime.

5pb was bringing out things like Phantom Breaker BG, and... I forget the name of that puzzle-platform game (Unmechanical?), and using the Xbox system to start breaking into self-publishing in the US. Mages seemed to really like working with them, and even when they were talking about bringing PBBGs to the PS4, they still talked of being committed to bringing the DLC to the 360 version. (This looks more and more unlikely now.)

And this Shenmue fan told you he kinda cares (as stated above), so that's one! It won't keep me from playing the game eventually, sure. But seeing Squares and Xs in place of those old colorful As and Bs and such during QTEs is gonna feel weird. Sony was not a pleasant, fan-happy company in those days. It's funny to think about how many of the PS4's current crop of indies would have been denied under their old PS1 ~ PS2 era policies...

Kieli

I'm not liking Arakawa's art over the original 80s/90s art.

Ah well. Written by the goat Yoshiki of LoGH, so it can't be too bad (story-wise).

Abdiel

Note that I never said it was getting the same support. My point was that the unique titles that MS got from Japanese devs were a reason to say "I got a Microsoft system for the Japanese output". Especially since I already have a Vita and PS3.

I really feel like PC and Vita are doing the PS4 more favors than the system itself, in a way. If not for those 2 having strong, easy port options, the One (and to a lesser extent, the Wii U) Would probably get more even love in the west, like between the systems last gen.

Yeah, I think MSoft is dropping the ball harder than usual on the JP front, and it's been pretty annoying to watch as an owner of the system. I don't entirely mind the idea of support drying up, I just don't like it being so fast, ha.

Sony's poor treatment of the Vita also makes me not really care about jumping onto the hardware they're focusing on, really.

I understand this stuff isn't console warsey, but it gets pretty old jumping into threads, happy to see a game you like coming to system you own, and then needing to go through so many "LoL, Whut?! No one on that system is gonnna buy it!" post, haha.

I appreciate it anyway. I guess they still want to market a next DOA and such to owners on other systems, and having a few other games to keep your name relevant and in front of their eyes makes sense. As does porting one of the lighter "first in a new series" games, which are always more specific-character focused than those later entries.

Even when I had a PS3 and 360, I bought all the ones I could on the Xbox. There's something really, REALLY annoying about being on a long-playing game like a Musou, with no connection to people you care to hold conversation with. Even more so in this world of shares, record-that's, and screenshots.

Reading your post, some of the stuff in there is kind of confusing. Sony didn't a whole lot with the PSP in the West in the first place, both the PSP and the Vita have lived almost entirely on third party support. That's just how their handhelds have been. Most of Sony's largest franchises had relatively minor roles on either PSP, and especially when it comes to Japanese titles, which makes this conversation all the more strange to read.

Sony's treatment of the Vita has been to say that they aren't making more games for it themselves... But they've continued to reach out and work with all manner of devs to help make the tools easier to create games for it. It will never have the success of the PSP, let alone the 3DS, but it has a pretty awesome library of Japanese titles at this point. And your concern about jumping into their hardware as a result of the Vita is kind of strange, considering how utterly disparate the situations are. The PS4 has a tremendous swell of support from first parties building behind it, and the third party exclusives are growing exponentially, especially when it comes to Japanese titles, where it's purely a matter of Xbox being totally irrelevant.

I understand how you might find it frustrating to have people somewhat incredulous with regards to your preference while commenting on Japanese games, but again, it's purely the reality of the situation. It's not even a matter of MS dropping the support faster than usual, I think if you look at the situation, it is that Japanese devs are not willing to even bother with most of their projects, because they see no reason to spend the money for a ecosystem that won't sell. MS grabbed a couple of major things at the beginning of last gen, and as soon as it became obvious that the PS3 was going to continue to rule the worldwide market and Japanese gamers, they stopped even trying. This gen, they never started. You don't like people saying "No one is going to buy it", but the retail reality is that it might as well be that way. I'm not sure if you've seen my posts in some of the other threads, but the audience for the Japanese games that are releasing on the XB1 is... minimal. Those games do 'best' here in the US and UK, and that's with splits of 85+ in favor of the PS4, and outside of those two territories, we're talking about 90-95%.

The XB1 has not been marketed as a global console. It has sold 60+% of its units in the US and the UK, and the software that is selling best is in very specific genres. I get that it sucks to want to be able to play those games on the system that has more people on it that you like, but it is only likely to get worse as time goes on.

I think you're missing my point. My point was that the Xbox brand has had some good exclusive games from Japanese devs that were worth buying their system for. They've always had a few exclusives, mostly towards the beginning of a systems release, and fewer as the system went on, that I'd say were worth owning the system for, even as a fan of Japanese games. I never said I was trying to do some tit-for-tat
XB1 gets all the JP GAMES, HUR HUR!" war or anything, My main point was that it's not unreasonable to get an Xbox system in it's early years, for the hope of some exclusive JP games, and a few more over the lifetime.

And this Shenmue fan told you he kinda cares (as stated above), so that's one! It won't keep me from playing the game eventually, sure. But seeing Squares and Xs in place of those old colorful As and Bs and such during QTEs is gonna feel weird. Sony was not a pleasant, fan-happy company in those days. It's funny to think about how many of the PS4's current crop of indies would have been denied under their old PS1 ~ PS2 era policies...

I've replied to a bunch of this in my above aspect, but I mean, I feel like there's a sense of specific filtering of the past here, and not really an equivalent consideration of the present. MS has had policies in place on the *current* systems that are not fan-happy, and have had to be brow-beaten by poor performance into modifying those things because they were losing so badly. Sony has not always made great decisions as a gaming company, but they've also had the largest diversity in their gaming platforms in terms of genres and availability of those options.

Probably want to cut it off at a good point before deciding to make another or not. The novels are still ongoing and are at 14 novels currently, so it's not like they're short on material. Where they're currently is book 3 or so, I believe. So they might reach the end of Part 1 by the end of 25 episodes or maybe not, lol

Getting to play as Daryun is gonna be awesome.
Thanks for the explanation, guys. I've found the show to be pretty engrossing so it's a bit disheartening to find out it's going to end so soon but if they're blazing though the books, I guess that can't be helped.

On the upper side, I guess the game should cover all 25 episodes if it releases in the fall in Japan, so the character roster should be pretty decent. Then again, they might want to keep some stuff for a sequel.

I assume Hirmes will be the Lu Bu-like enemy general who shows up on early maps and you should avoid fighting.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Eh, I'll just send it as a PM, kinda feel like I'm deriding the thread! Anyway, I think I have the old Arslan DVD lying around here somewhere... I should get to watching that. I really hope they put some nods to the classic series in this new game, Koei Tecmo is normally really good about stuff like that.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is the game's story going to be the same as the anime? Wondering if I should watch the anime if the game's story is gonna be the same.

Kamina777

Banned
I want to be excited, it looks good for sure but i am so burnt out of strictly musou koei games.

I am looking forward to Dragon Quest warriors but this looks like it may merely be a dynasty warriors skin.. i hope they show more compelling stuff to separate it from that description.

Thank you Koei Tecmo!!!!

And I guess I'll have to play with Daryun because...

CmCNCWR.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got this on PS4; Arslan seems like it would probably be way more impressive on PS3, although I've read that the PS3 version has a lot of slowdown. It really feels like an uprezzed PS3 title and doesn't look as good as Samurai Warriors 4-II does, nor One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, for that matter. I also didn't see the Omega Force logo anywhere, which means this was developed by a 'B-Team'.

The game isn't bad by any means, but it's a little on the slow side and feels like a pretty average musou game so far. Similar to Dynasty Warriors 8, right down to switching between two weapons. It has a shit-ton of storyline, following the anime pretty closely. Most of it is told via semi-animated 2D cut scenes, which also play while the next stage loads. There appears to be a pretty good roster available and a good number of looks for the characters. I'd say this is worth getting if you really like Arslan, but otherwise I wouldn't bother from what I've played. Disappointingly-average.

mujun

Got this on PS4; Arslan seems like it would probably be way more impressive on PS3, although I've read that the PS3 version has a lot of slowdown. It really feels like an uprezzed PS3 title and doesn't look as good as Samurai Warriors 4-II does, nor One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, for that matter. I also didn't see the Omega Force logo anywhere, which means this was developed by a 'B-Team'.

The game isn't bad by any means, but it's a little on the slow side and feels like a pretty average musou game so far. Similar to Dynasty Warriors 8, right down to switching between two weapons. It has a shit-ton of storyline, following the anime pretty closely. Most of it is told via semi-animated 2D cut scenes, which also play while the next stage loads. There appears to be a pretty good roster available and a good number of looks for the characters. I'd say this is worth getting if you really like Arslan, but otherwise I wouldn't bother from what I've played. Disappointingly-average.

Glad I cancelled my pre-order. Didn't seem very interesting in the playthrough vids I watched either.

I always couldn't shake the feeling of this game looking like just a really boring, generic DW8 mold game, was hoping I was wrong. That kind of stinks

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played the game a bit more. A "Produced By Omega Force" screen does come up in the beginning...but I'm guessing that it's just that- produced by them, because in game it lacks polish.

I think the game is a bit better than I initially though, but it's still pretty average and I don't like how some characters, at least initially, don't have two weapons to use. The menus seem to indicate that they can get more weapons, but I'm unsure.

I started just skipping the story sequences entirely because they're A) entirely too numerous and B) just semi-animated versions of the story I already watched in the anime series. The levels follow the story pretty closely, which I like, but a lot of levels I played feel like you can just run past everyone and get to a goal and/or take out one guy to end everything. There's nothing really strategic going on here so far.

Also had a nasty glitch, when playing on Gieve's first stage, where the camera stopped and stayed in a fixed, static position. I was still able to move around freely and managed to beat the level by using the mini map, lol.

system11

Played the demo, that 30fps is not welcome. Other than that it seemed fun.

I hope the localisation will not be blighted with muted audio when streaming.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I have the game, its fairly enjoyable if you are a fan of series. While some things may be rough around the edges, the scenarios and map designs are quite nice. The graphics most def capture the series well and is like the animation come to life.

Its more something that like fans will pick up.

I have the game, its fairly enjoyable if you are a fan of series. While some things may be rough around the edges, the scenarios and map designs are quite nice. The graphics most def capture the series well and is like the animation come to life.

Its more something that like fans will pick up.

How is KENN in the game, does Gieve get a lot of lines? Does Elam?! Does Elam have his own story?

Fullmetal Alchemist?

Yup, same artist. She picked up Arslan and made a manga of it. The story itself is originally told through novels though and was made into an anime before as well as a manga. But this is a new version made by the FMA author.

I'm watching the anime and it just hit me. This story has ton of similarities to the Suikoden series

Not just Suikoden, you can probably see more commonalities in stuff like Fire Emblem and some animes as well. Arslan is like the granddaddy of these type of stories I believe (started in 1986).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How is KENN in the game, does Gieve get a lot of lines? Does Elam?! Does Elam have his own story?

Game for the time being pretty much goes through the story of the series from the beginning. In the story mode there is no stage select like how normal musou games are, it just follows the plot from the anime. As it uses a lot of scenes from it with the still / semi-animated story bits.

Though the actual in game scenarios are a little different for gameplay purposes.

Have not played too much though as have other games that take higher priority at the moment.

Top Bottom