• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Itoi tweeted a picture, don't think it's been seen before.
CK60D4OUcAE6Vfp.jpg:large
Wow he's in casual clothes :0

I haven't been in this thread for about a week but it feels much longer than that. I thought I was at acceptance but here I am filling up with sadness again. This just isn't right.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I found a few more photos of the funeral. They are unfortunately in low quality and some feature watermarks though.

iwata_6ersk7.png

iwata_5iws8s.png

iwata_4z4sj6.png

iwata_37hs1z.png

iwata_2seslb.png

iwata_1kis6m.png

Images from Kyodo News Images. I don't have an account there hence the watermarks. I applied for an account though, but I don't expect it to be improved. If it gets approved however I'll see to posting these photos in higher quality.

Tom_Cody

Rösti;173366997 said:
I found a few more photos of the funeral. They are unfortunately in low quality and some feature watermarks though.

iwata_6ersk7.png

iwata_5iws8s.png

iwata_4z4sj6.png

iwata_37hs1z.png

iwata_2seslb.png

iwata_1kis6m.png

Images from Kyodo News Images. I don't have an account there hence the watermarks. I applied for an account though, but I don't expect it to be improved. If it gets approved however I'll see to posting these photos in higher quality.
Thanks for posting those.

Slowdive

Banned
Sakurai talks about the funeral:

In his column in Weekly Famitsu, Sakurai, who had previously offered his perspective on what sort of man Iwata had been, recalled his experience at the funeral. “Normally at a place like this, one’s eyes go to the photo [of the deceased]. The smiling face of Mr. Iwata surrounded by flowers was a very nice picture.” Sakurai wrote.

At the funeral, Sakurai was given one of the few guest seats – seats reserved for close friends and acquaintances of the deceased – something Sakurai was both honored and humbled by. During the wake, Sakurai noted that he found himself unable to look away from the casket. “Inside there was the still body of Mr. Iwata.” Sakurai mused. “He was probably dressed in traditional white funeral garb, his glasses removed, and his nose stuffed [with cotton]. And today, his body was going to be burned and reduced to nothing. Mr. Iwata would no longer exist in this world.”

Normally, after offering incense, guests are permitted to leave. Sakurai however, chose to remain. “As this was the last time I would be with Mr. Iwata, I wanted to remain there as long as I could.”

Among the many people who came to pay their respects were some that Sakurai had not seen or spoken with in over a decade. And yet, Sakurai noted, he was unsure of what to say. “Many people, especially those close to him, spoke of how the realization that they would never be able to see Mr. Iwata gain just hadn’t sunk in. I feel the same way.”

Sakurai’s writing in his column is often light-heartedly reflective, if not cheerful, but when speaking of Satoru Iwata’s passing, there is a distinct somber tone in his words. Sakurai’s closing words were better than anything I can write here:

In a previous column, I wrote that when someone passes on, for those around them, it’s simply as though a character has been removed from their story, but for the deceased, the entire world has gone away. However, even for other people, Mr. Iwata’s presence was too great to simply call him a character in the story of life.

Mr. Iwata’s world is gone, leaving a massive impression on those around him. Yet, even so, our world continues.

I will not mourn or fall into depression. I will continue to do my work as best as I can. All I can offer is that I complete that which I have to do.

http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creato...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Odinson

Mr Iwata is responsible for so many of my childhood and adult memories. I made this little tribute in his honor on my Instagram. Just a small portion of the games that he helped create and change the gaming landscape forever. Thank you Iawata-san.

Thank You Iwata

walei

Sorry to bring this thread up again but I just wanted to post my memorial to Iwata san.

I'm not good with words to express how depressed I was when I heard the news, but in the week after I made one of my museum display hall into a memorial to Iwata in my Animal Crossing New Leaf. It happens that today is the summer fireworks and I submitted the customized design to Isabelle for the fireworks because I thought it'd be neat as a tribute.

I played AC:NL since launch but lost everything during a system transfer from 3DS to New 3DS XL, so I had to start over collecting stuff and sadly I haven't got the Big Bro hat yet which will be placed inside the empty glass display you see here. Also since Kirby and Balloon Fight items are not in ACNL I made posters of it by grabbing customized design from the net.

It was a very special moment to see his face lit-up my town in a game and from a system fro, one of Iwata's vision and ideals for video games... this is just one of a little tribute from a long time Nintendo and Iwata fan

CLZ6ZDuUMAEBOvq.jpg

CLZ9_rSVEAUgWcK.jpg

Clefargle

Sorry to bring this thread up again but I just wanted to post my memorial to Iwata san.

I'm not good with words to express how depressed I was when I heard the news, but in the week after I made one of my museum display hall into a memorial to Iwata in my Animal Crossing New Leaf. It happens that today is the summer fireworks and I submitted the customized design to Isabelle for the fireworks because I thought it'd be neat as a tribute.

I played AC:NL since launch but lost everything during a system transfer from 3DS to New 3DS XL, so I had to start over collecting stuff and sadly I haven't got the Big Bro hat yet which will be placed inside the empty glass display you see here. Also since Kirby and Balloon Fight items are not in ACNL I made posters of it by grabbing customized design from the net.

It was a very special moment to see his face lit-up my town in a game and from a system fro, one of Iwata's vision and ideals for video games... this is just one of a little tribute from a long time Nintendo and Iwata fan

CLZ6ZDuUMAEBOvq.jpg

CLZ9_rSVEAUgWcK.jpg

Very nice, that's a beautiful tribute. It brings it all rushing back again that he is gone. :/....
Btw, what is the green thing next to the bananas? (Nice touch)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't get the joke :/
Blue is not just a color but an euphemism for sad, down, depressed. The cat got the color paint and euphemism confused thinking the team leader wanted to make the arena depressed (so he used bad news, like iwatas death) instead of actually painting the arena.

They made the other team cry, so they will make the floor blue with their tears...or something.

Yeah..:/
This could work too.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I don't want to be *that* guy, but that comic isn't worthy of any discussion here, if I'm honest. This thread has been really nice, full of words from developers, fans, gamers, sharing happy, joyous memories of Iwata. It'd be a shame if we let one dumb comic spoil that. This is probably backseat modding, and if so, apologies. If someone wants to make their own thread to discuss the comic, go for it. But imo, shit joke, shit comic, doesn't deserve any attention.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Poor Sakurai :/

Apologies if this has been shown already:

tumblr_nrevjel09j1uunc0no1_1280.jpg

This picture is in itself a reference to a picture drawn by Disney artists after the passing of Jim Henson:

Mickeykermit.jpg

oh wow, this is beautiful. thanks for showing! and for explaining the reference, makes it all the more beautiful!

CLZ6ZDuUMAEBOvq.jpg

CLZ9_rSVEAUgWcK.jpg
This is really nice. Great job!

Nightbird

They made the other team cry, so they will make the floor blue with their tears...or something.

Yeah..:/

Blue is not just a color but an euphemism for sad, down, depressed. The cat got the color paint and euphemism confused thinking the team leader wanted to make the arena depressed (so he used bad news, like iwatas death) instead of actually painting the arena.

This could work too.

Blue = Sad. It's an expression.

It's a really bad joke anyway.

The cat wanted to paint the arena blue so the other cat used the news of Iwata's death to make everyone feel blue with sadness.

It's a bad and tasteless joke.

Good Lord, thats awful

billeh

My "Thank You, Mr. Iwata" shirt came from Teespring today. Really nice quality. Glad the proceeds are going to some good causes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom