• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best FTL jumps in games

MNC

With the ever growing amount of space simulation games, its hard to separate the good from the great. My personal unit of measurement is the quality of the hyperspace jump.

Actually, I just have a fetish for good hyperspace jumps. Post them here!

My personal favorite is:

@2:40, Elite Dangerous
https://youtu.be/HuDzWswfDnE

The sound, the oomph, the visuals... Fuck, that's good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nothing compares to Elite Dangerous, especially when played in VR. You killed your own thread.

Elite Dangerous for sure. The countdown, the sound design, the visuals. It's perfect. Sometimes you can make it look like you're warping through a planet, but I can forgive that since there might be some in-game explanation for why that can happen.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Homeworld's was pretty cool with the wall of blue light kind of erasing the ships as they jumped.

Mindlog

Far from the prettiest and not only restricted to FTL, but I really appreciated what I-War did with its various engine systems. Few other games really gave you the opportunity to master different drives. Coming out of LDS to park your ship's nose on a Destroyer underneath its field of fire felt really satisfying.

We're all waiting to see the Constellation jumping aren't we :lol

FTF

With the ever growing amount of space simulation games, its hard to separate the good from the great. My personal unit of measurement is the quality of the hyperspace jump.

My personal favorite is:

Whoa, I need to play this.

Coming out of hyperspace for the first time in Elite using the Oculus Rift is perhaps one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. And it never gets old.

Atrophis

Elite really is sublime. Best sound design in gaming at the moment. I don't know what genius they hired but he/she is doing the business.

I also like mass jumping tons of units in Sins of a Solar Empire. Looks epic when they drop out of FTL en masse.

PulseONE

Why is it that the FTL sequence of all things is what finally pushed me over the edge to get Elite?

Is it worth the $50, GAF?

Elite Dangerous for sure. The countdown, the sound design, the visuals. It's perfect. Sometimes you can make it look like you're warping through a planet, but I can forgive that since there might be some in-game explanation for why that can happen.

When you're moving through the fifth dimension you dont interact with matter in the lower dimensions ? *shrug*

My personal favorite is:

Well fuck...now I need to play this

How well-optimized is it?

Elite really is sublime. Best sound design in gaming at the moment. I don't know what genius they hired but he/she is doing the business.

I also like mass jumping tons of units in Sins of a Solar Empire. Looks epic when they drop out of FTL en masse.

I was coming in to say Sins of a Solar Empire. Sync your fleet jumps and watch them all pop into the enemy system, fighters pouring out of the carriers. God I love it.

MNC

I was coming in to say Sins of a Solar Empire. Sync your fleet jumps and watch them all pop into the enemy system, fighters pouring out of the carriers. God I love it.
Plus the cinematic camera and all the lasers connecting everywhere as soon as your fleet finished jumping. Good stuff.

Nothing compares to Elite Dangerous, especially when played in VR. You killed your own thread.

Correct. Post #0 and #1 nailed it. /thread

Is it worth the $50, GAF?

I think so, absolutely, but it's the type of game where you kind have to make your own "way"--there isn't really a narrative. There are factions you can join and lots of stuff to do, though some of it is shallow compared to others.

However, when it comes to the flight model and feeling of piloting a ship, it's amazing. $60 gets you the base game + the second season, which was just announced and includes landing on moons and rocky planets.

Well fuck...now I need to play this

How well-optimized is it?

It's pretty solid now. There used to be stuttering in certain scenarios, but much of it is gone. It runs at 1080p and close to 60 fps, consistently, on X1 now (just had a big performance patch), for reference.

Haunted

Also, I'd add landing on a fully realised spaceport into the triumvirate of game-defining moments in Elite Dangerous, next to jumping through hyperspace and coming out next to a huge planet and seeing a capital class ship in action.

epmode

Elite wins, obviously. A jump in VR is basically a religious experience.
It's pretty solid now. There used to be stuttering in certain scenarios, but much of it is gone. It runs at 1080p and close to 60 fps, consistently, on X1 now (just had a big performance patch), for reference.

I've had microstuttering in Elite for about a year now with no fix in sight. It's killing me.

(PC)

Elite wins, obviously. A jump in VR is basically a religious experience.

I've had microstuttering in Elite for about a year now with no fix in sight. It's killing me.

(PC)

I had none for a while, then one of the patches introduced a TON for me, but then the next patch eliminated it. I hope they clear it up for everyone--"seamless" is a huge part of the experience and stuttering breaks it.

So how does FTL work in Elite? Looks like some sort of extra dimensional travel.

There are three "modes" of travel:

Normal: fly from 0-400(ish, depending on ship) km/h
Supercruise: fly from 30km/s up to 100x the speed of light (if not more--not sure what the limit is); used for traveling around individual start systems
Hyperspace: fly at LUDICROUS speed, basically; used to travel from system to system, and shown in the videos posted above

With Elite: Horizons, there will also be "Orbital Cruise" for flying around a planet's orbit/atmosphere.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to stop-go-stop-go to properly land at my destination in this game.

I completely passed where I was heading my first few times trying to hyper-jump.

You ever watch any of Isinona's vids? His dockings/landings are so fucking good it makes me mad...and he has flight assist DISABLED. Seriously, he just speeds into the station and pulls into the landing pad like it's a parking spot.

There are three "modes" of travel:

Normal: fly from 0-400(ish, depending on ship) km/h
Supercruise: fly from 30km/s up to 100x the speed of light (if not more--not sure what the limit is); used for traveling around individual start systems
Hyperspace: fly at LUDICROUS speed, basically; used to travel from system to system, and shown in the videos posted above

With Elite: Horizons, there will also be "Orbital Cruise" for flying around a planet's orbit/atmosphere.

So they just... go really fast? No space distortion, no traveling to another dimension, none of that stuff? That's kinda meh.

MNC

Elite Dangerous
maxresdefault.jpg

Freelancer
IafZ63a.png

It's really hard to find images

So they just... go really fast? No space distortion, no traveling to another dimension, none of that stuff? That's kinda meh.

Not sure what you mean? No, you can't actually control your ship while you're in hyperspace, but you can while you're in supercruise (again, going 10-100x speed of light).

When you're in hyperspace, in Elite lore, you're in "witch space" and it is kind of a dimensional rift, I guess? Like, your speedometer in the ship is literally going crazy because it can't track how fast you're going. Someone who knows more about Elite history can probably tell you more.

"Witch space" is where Thargoids (the invading alien race) live. We've found Thargoid artifacts in the galaxy so far, but haven't actually made contact with them (yet).

Pimpbaa

The way the capital ships jump into space in Elite Dangerous is so different from the smaller ships. Some people on the ED forums think the capital ships have too much mass to use the newer frameshift drives (which compress space) and travel through "witch space" (another dimension from which the Thargoids are from) like in the old games. I mean the capital ships look and sound like they are exiting the gates of hell or something.

Lime

Man I can't wait for consumer VR

I also wish I didn't get exploited for Elite's expansion packs as a backer.

Skyzard

Banned
Voice attack makes it even better:

"Boost" - the boost sound in ED is close to perfection
"Engage hyperdrive"

That new multicrew Starcitizen video showed off a jump, looked pretty decent.

Nephtes

A thread on NeoGAF on a topic that Destiny could have been mentioned in and hasn't yet?

How is this possibruuu?

epmode

are you running a SLI setup?

No. I've had the problem with three video cards and three operating systems.

I've posted extensively on the Frontier forum too. I've tried basically everything. I think the engine is to blame, honestly.

But that's not what this thread's about. Sorry for derailing.

A thread on NeoGAF on a topic that Destiny could have been mentioned in and hasn't yet?

How is this possibruuu?

Hahaha, you just reminded me how much I hate everything about the ships in Destiny. Their designs (although the dlc improved this), the way they animate, their physics, and how ugly the hyperspace load screen is.

Top Bottom