• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max is 1080p on PS4 and Xbox One

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mad-max-is-1080p-on-ps4xbox-one-dev-talks-map-size/1100-6430111/

Avalanche Studios has confirmed that both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of their soon-to-launch Mad Max car-combat game will output in 1080p.

Senior producer John Fuller shared the detail with GamingBolt. Asked if the game would run at full-HD on both systems, Fuller bluntly replied, "Yes!" Performance on PC will vary depending on your setup.

I'm happy to see both the consoles hitting 1080p, I was expecting there to be some problems with the consoles hitting it with the game being open world.

It may also be of note that the game was originally going to be for PS3 and Xbox 360, but those versions were cancelled in March this year.

Lock the thread if old.

JoduanER2

Frankly i couldnt care less about resolution if framerate AF and effects are going to be compromised... im looking at you witcher 3 (PS4), its just a marketing ploy.

Bedlam

Frankly i couldnt care less about resolution if framerate AF and effects are going to be compromised... im looking at you witcher 3 (PS4), its just a marketing ploy.
Yup.

The pop-In of the detail foliage looked pretty terrible in the videos of Mad Max so far. Stuff pops up about 2 meters in front of your car when driving fast.

This is way more annoying to me than both resolution and framerate, for example.

wow the PC version will run differently depending on your PC.

200_s.gif

HUELEN10

Resolution is just a number, now screen-tearing and frame rate is what matters to me. It is locked at at least 30 with no tearing, I will be very happy.

I rather have crispy clear 1080p than blurry edges and lack of definition that comes with 900p.

If it comes to that, remove effects, keep res.

Waiting for reviews now..........

If they choosed to preserve the PS360 version graphics Full-HD should be possible for newer consoles. Hopefully at least constant 30 FPS and no screen tearing, but I doubt that...

Salsa

game's open world seems hella barren with not a lot of moving parts so im not surprised that it doesnt seem to be that demanding

Gurish

Here's a random driving sequence from a recent gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSeudN-hpgk&t=47m10s

That pop-in is terrible and way more irritating than a lower resolution could ever be.

Yea that's because of their rendering technique, it can always draw terrain even if you drive out of the map's boundaries.
That's what I understood anyway.

Game is not too impressive, I think it looks good, I live the art style, but it's not a very impressive game.

Bedlam

Yea that's because of their rendering technique, it can always draw terrain even if you drive out of the map's boundaries.
That's what I understood anyway.
What do you mean? He is driving somewhere in the middle of the map.

All open-world games are popping in the foliage at some point in the distance but in this case it's extremely close to the player's viewpoint. Baffling, especially given how low the foliage density in general is. And the landscape itself is not overly complex either. This really shouldn't happen. At least it needed more tuning.

TheBeast

Banned

That pop-in is terrible and way more irritating than a lower resolution could ever be.

Ack, my eyes. That's beyond pop-in, we need a new word when it happens so damn close to the player, perhaps plop-in. Because you know, it's shit.

Seriously, they could have ditched the foliage (and subsequent plop-in) and we'd be none-the-wiser.

Not for me.

Pop in ita pretty bad, but could be fixed without changing res.

Worst thing when I'm playing lower res is that seems like my eyes are sleepy, tired, full of sands.

They could fix the pop in removing effects, particles, etc and keep resolution.

RedRum

Banned
Not for me.

Worst thing when I'm playing lower res is that seems like my eyes are sleepy, tired, full of sands.

How did you get by last gen when games were running at 720p?

720p was last gens new hotness.

I guess once people have gotten a taste of higher res and frame rates, they crave more. That's why people have been obsessed with consoles hitting that 1080p 60fps mark.

Bedlam

Not for me.

I absolutely can't stand it in games when the landscape changes right in front of me. It immediately destroys the illusion of a world. A lower resolution or some framerate hiccups I can deal with, however.

As I said above, this needed more tuning. If their engine can't handle this stuff on consoles, they should've reduced the foliage density further and blend it in farther away from the player instead. Hell, in this case no foliage at all would look better even.

My tv was smaller, it helped a lot I guess.

But even back then, 540p was like 900p, pretty bad for me, couldnt stand that.

I'm all for reducing elements and effects, keep resolution with steady fps, be it 30fps or 60fps.

Gurish

What do you mean? He is driving somewhere in the middle of the map.

All open-world games are popping in the foliage at some point in the distance but in this case it's extremely close to the player's viewpoint. Baffling, especially given how low the foliage density in general is. And the landscape itself is not overly complex either. This really shouldn't happen. At least it needed more tuning.

Yea I know it's ridiculous here, but the thing is that you never run out of map, you know how in every open world game at some point the game tells you that you can't proceed anymore because you've reached the boundaries?

Than here it never happens, game is always "building" terrain for you even if you are out of the map's boundaries, you will just drive a big and empty space with nothing to do but you can do it for hours if you wants, that's what I got from them.

I think, not sure, that this is why the pop up is so bad, this is how this engine renders, but wait for someone more knowledgeable to clarify, maybe I'm talking nonsense,

Hip Hop

Any early reviews/impressions for this game?

I gotta say, I'm quite interested in it.
Maybe for more so than the TPP :p

I absolutely can't stand it in games when the landscape changes right in front of me. It immediately destroys the illusion of a world. A lower resolution or some framerate hiccups I can deal with, however.

As I said above, this needed more tuning. If their engine can't handle this stuff on consoles, they should've reduced the foliage density further and blend it in farther away from the player instead. Hell, in this case no foliage at all would look better even.
I agree with you, there are other ways to fix it, remove effects, elements, etc

Top Bottom